What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DK Metcalf, SEA (3 Viewers)

I'm completely off this train for a couple reasons. 

1. I dont own picks 1-3 in one of my leagues (only pick 3 now) so picking him is no longer a luxury selection. If hes passed to 1.3 I will likely pass as well. The beauty is hes likely taken and I get the wr I would have taken 1.1 anyways.

I own 1.1 I  another league, hard earned, and I cant get it wrong. Metcalf has a higher than normal bust potential and I'm not willing to make that mistake. 

2. Too many questionmarks, and when people highlight his positives, like this link, they are bad examples.
I honestly agree with you talking strictly football. If I'm building a team, I'd rather have Harry who will more than likely be at least my 2nd wide receiver. In fantasy though, the difference between OBJ and Donte Moncfrief is a lot bigger than in real football.

I don't see how you pass on somebody with DK's potential, unless getting something in return for the 1.01. If it works out the way has been predicted, he could be a top 5 pick. That's pretty significant. It's not often you get a chance to select a guy, not a quarterback, with that kind of draft capital.

I honestly agree with you talking strictly football. If I'm building a team, I'd rather have Harry who will more than likely be at least my 2nd wide receiver. In fantasy though, the difference between OBJ and Donte Moncfrief is a lot bigger than in real football.

I don't see how you pass on somebody with DK's potential, unless getting something in return for the 1.01. If it works out the way has been predicted, he could be a top 5 pick. That's pretty significant. It's not often you get a chance to select a guy, not a quarterback, with that kind of draft capital.
I think I'm a little burned from having Corey Davis on my team and seeing him being a bust in spite of big potential and draft stock invested. Granted, he has a mess at QB but does the top 5 have anything better at this point? Even the top 10... very few teams that I would be excited for him to go to

ETA: For the record, NYG, NYJ, SF would all be pretty exciting landing spots. Buffalo is where I think he ends up and I'm not sure I see Josh Allen producing a top WR

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol

You probably could have quoted me from a number of threads saying the same thing. 

You're absolutely right. I'm certainly hoping it happens
Here's your problem: Mariota and now Tannehill. Both stink and both are wimps. Davis with a good QB is $.

DK may end up in the same boat if he ends up in BUF. Not sold on Allen yet. Balt is ok because they will find out quickly that they have no NFL QB.

Here's your problem: Mariota and now Tannehill. Both stink and both are wimps. Davis with a good QB is $.

DK may end up in the same boat if he ends up in BUF. Not sold on Allen yet. Balt is ok because they will find out quickly that they have no NFL QB.
Off topic, but is that Parkers problem too for his career? 

I will see how the draft shakes out in the end, but I'm not really liking where Harry and Metcalf likely end up. 
SayWhat?   But you like where AJ Brown likely ends up?  And that’s based on?  Mocks?  

I don’t remember the last time a WR went to where they were likely going to end up based on predraft chatter, unless it was an elite WR projected in the top 5 to a WR desperate team.  But it’s possible I have a short memory.  

Just seems an odd stance to take.

SayWhat?   But you like where AJ Brown likely ends up?  And that’s based on?  Mocks?  

I don’t remember the last time a WR went to where they were likely going to end up based on predraft chatter, unless it was an elite WR projected in the top 5 to a WR desperate team.  But it’s possible I have a short memory.  

We need to see landing spots

We need to see landing spots
Of course, but it seems he’s saying that he specifically doesn’t like Metcalf and Harry because of where they’re likely to end up.  

My point, regardless of mock drafts putting them in places like Buffalo or Baltimore, they’re just as likely to end up in Green Bay and Philly. 

Metcalf is a top 15 or 10 pick according to the draft pundits. Those teams, in general, are not great landing spots, especially those who may be looking at a wr (buffalo, Tennessee, Baltimore, Jacksonville). The FA frenzy has completely changed the potential of the first round, especially the top 10 or 15. Most of it bad for a guy like Metcalf. 

AJ Brown may go end of round 1, which is much more attractive. Yes, I love AJ Brown. I think he is the most landing proof wr in this draft and he fits perfectly on a team like Indy, Green bay, New England, maybe even KC if Hill is toast... where some mocks have him going. No mocks have Metcalf going there, so why would I entertain the thought? 

At the end of the day, of course it's all speculation because we are over a month from the draft. but I'm tires of debating Chubb vs Hunt, jumping to conclusions on Hill, and complaining about how much Green Bay over paid for their FAs. So I'm having some fun speculating on the order of the rookie draft. Seems to me you singed my post out when there are pages of the same speculation here as well as in the Harry thread debating value based on mocked landing spots. 

Metcalf is a top 15 or 10 pick according to the draft pundits. Those teams, in general, are not great landing spots, especially those who may be looking at a wr (buffalo, Tennessee, Baltimore, Jacksonville). The FA frenzy has completely changed the potential of the first round, especially the top 10 or 15. Most of it bad for a guy like Metcalf. 

AJ Brown may go end of round 1, which is much more attractive. Yes, I love AJ Brown. I think he is the most landing proof wr in this draft and he fits perfectly on a team like Indy, Green bay, New England, maybe even KC if Hill is toast... where some mocks have him going. No mocks have Metcalf going there, so why would I entertain the thought? 

At the end of the day, of course it's all speculation because we are over a month from the draft. but I'm tires of debating Chubb vs Hunt, jumping to conclusions on Hill, and complaining about how much Green Bay over paid for their FAs. So I'm having some fun speculating on the order of the rookie draft. Seems to me you singed my post out when there are pages of the same speculation here as well as in the Harry thread debating value based on mocked landing spots. 
My apologies if responding to your post was offensive.  I quoted it, or singled it out, because I’ve never ever once heard someone claim they didn’t like two prospects because of where they were likely to land. Not a dislike based upon where they actually end up or a dislike if they end up on a certain team, but a dislike based upon (presumably) where mocks have them going.  One is projected early 1st (Metcalf), the other mid/late (Harry).  So we’re talking the entire spectrum of team possibilities existing.  To each their own, just seemed an unusual position to have and one I’ve never heard anyone verbalize.  

My apologies if responding to your post was offensive.  I quoted it, or singled it out, because I’ve never ever once heard someone claim they didn’t like two prospects because of where they were likely to land. Not a dislike based upon where they actually end up or a dislike if they end up on a certain team, but a dislike based upon (presumably) where mocks have them going.  One is projected early 1st (Metcalf), the other mid/late (Harry).  So we’re talking the entire spectrum of team possibilities existing.  To each their own, just seemed an unusual position to have and one I’ve never heard anyone verbalize.  
:shrug: what I said was no different than what's been said in the previous 11 pages: 

Yep. My biggest concern is volume because of lack of a route tree. Of the mock draft landing spots, I only like Indy. Balt would be a disaster and a lot of mocks have him in BUF. He can have some monster games there and follow them up with 2-40 I think.

Total agreement here on Perriman vs Metcalk and also that Baltimore is where WR's go  to die. 

if he lucks into being drafted by Indy, I'm all over him at 1.1 unless one of the RBs gets a gig that has a line to a 3 down job.

Certainly possible that Baltimore and Buffalo kill the value of 2 of the top WRs. There’s not a lot of teams that have the need for a workhorse RB either. It’s possible the TEs move up draft boards if some of the more desirable WR/RB prospects end up in crummy situations.

What destinations would make you want to avoid Metcalf? Bills? Ravens?

Ravens are were WR's go to die and they are incomparably worse then any other spot.

I'd not really mind the Bills so much, not a dream spot but not so bad and I should say not so bad for Metcalf. I'd hate Bills for a guy like Marquise Brown, think Josh Allen's inaccuracy issues would be more in play. But give me someone with Metcalfs size, speed and wingspan with Allen's arm and I'd not really be that down.

Yes. Cards and Jets would make a bit nervous. They don't have established QBs and we don't really know what to make of the offensive system yet either. 

Sounds about right. "Situation" will heavily influence the top end of round 1 rookie drafts, but I don't expect any of these 3 will fall to 1.05. I've got a nice consolation prize headed my way (in premium TE league).

Maybe it's just me but part of landing spot this year is that there are some really great fits and there are some career enders. 

Yeah, either you initially misspoke, or you’re not understanding why I responded.  

I will see how the draft shakes out in the end, but I'm not really liking where Harry and Metcalf likely end up. 
Those people are all disliking certain teams.  You’re disliking two specific WRs, because you feel (based on?) that they’ll be the two that end up in those spots?  Strange, clairvoyant, or some combination of both.

My point is that you’re singling out not liking where these two specifically likely end up, but yet there’s an equal chance that Brown, Butler, or (name your preferred WR) ends up in one of those spots that you’re thinking of (especially compared to Harry). 

Pro Football Focus' Sam Monson compared Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf to Terrell Owens.

Metcalf (6'3/228) is more or less a unicorn because of his size and speed, but also because of his Tom Brady-esque agility. Owens loosely fits that mold, and he is a nice example of the ceiling that Metcalf has as a straight-line player. When T.O. was at his best, he threw corners off to the size with his power and that's exactly what we saw Metcalf do in spurts at Ole Miss. An NFL team will likely spend a top-25 selection on Metcalf, even if his floor is lower than most Day 1 prospects with the durability and agility concerns.

SOURCE: Sam Monson on Twitter

Mar 15, 2019, 8:20 PM

SayWhat? said:
My apologies if responding to your post was offensive.  I quoted it, or singled it out, because I’ve never ever once heard someone claim they didn’t like two prospects because of where they were likely to landNot a dislike based upon where they actually end up or a dislike if they end up on a certain team, but a dislike based upon (presumably) where mocks have them going.  One is projected early 1st (Metcalf), the other mid/late (Harry).  So we’re talking the entire spectrum of team possibilities existing.  To each their own, just seemed an unusual position to have and one I’ve never heard anyone verbalize.  
Yeah, that's a horribad take

The Athletic's Dane Brugler said Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf is "rough around the edges."

Metcalf (6'3/228) is a divisive prospect who produced an impressive 98th percentile athletic SPARQ composite score but a dismal 7.38-second 3-cone time. This showed up on the film as Brugler notes Metcalf "ran a high volume of vertical routes (go routes, curls, comebacks, etc.)" and "is a straight-line player" who needs "more branches on his route-tree." Brugler listed him at No. 23 on his top-100 big board but notes that his medical evaluation will "influence his standing on NFL draft boards."

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 17, 2019, 11:05 AM

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein projects the New York Giants to select Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf with the sixth pick in his updated 2019 NFL Mock Draft.

The top five is what we've seen in most mock drafts since the combine, with a slight change with Josh Allen of Kentucky going to the Jets and Quinnen Williams of Alabama to the Raiders. The sixth pick, however, is definitely different. "Whispers have begun circulating that the Giants are not in love with QB Dwayne Haskins," Zierlein writes. "If that's the case, the Giants could go with Metcalf to add a big, fast wideout with the potential to become the new WR1 after Odell Beckham's exit via trade." The Giants do have the 17th pick from that Beckham trade, and Zierlein projects Missouri QB Drew Lock to go with that selection. This would be fun.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 21, 2019, 9:44 AM

Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf recorded the short shuttle in 4.40 seconds at his pro day.

That is a slight improvement to his NFL Scouting Combine time of 4.50 seconds, but it still puts him in murky waters since the wide receiver average is 4.21 seconds according to Mockdraftable. Metcalf (6'3/228) also completed the three-cone in a below average 7.25 seconds, but these scores don't change his projection. Metcalf is a straight line player who can win deep with both speed and size. Can Metcalf be a team's primary target? That's up for debate, but his deep threat upside will get him drafted between 9th and 32nd overall.

SOURCE: Brad Kelly on Twitter

Mar 29, 2019, 2:37 PM

I am glad he ran those drills again. He shows confidence doing that I think even though the results were below average.

Gives folks who track these things more information.

How does his dynasty hype compare to other NFL draft 1st round (early 1st) WRs in recent years? 

Biabreakable said:
I am glad he ran those drills again. He shows confidence doing that I think even though the results were below average.

Gives folks who track these things more information.
Agreed.  His drills looked slightly better, but his ladder work with his feet and get off on the line during routes looked incredible.  

NFL scouts said that Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf "was very heavy-footed running routes and did a lot of stomping getting in and out of breaks."

These comments came after Metcalf (6'3/228) completed his workout at the Ole Miss Pro Day, but this is nothing new. Evaluators have voiced concerns with Metcalf's ability to cut and run exotic routes for months and months, so these comments don't affect his projected draft slot. Metcalf's size/speed combination is extremely rare and he showed big-play ability in spurts at Ole Miss, so he's going to draw a Round 1 pick in April. Metcalf's upside as a deep threat is scary high, but he's got a lower floor than many are willing to admit.

SOURCE: Draft Analyst

Mar 30, 2019, 3:09 PM

No mocks have Metcalf going there, so why would I entertain the thought? 
Because mock drafts are often inaccurate when things are said and done.

Obviously I agree with the premise that there are certainly value killing landing spots for all of these guys, but I think we need to see how that plays out. Metcalf could just as easily land in Indy as he could in Baltimore or Buffalo.

Dr. Dan said:
How does his dynasty hype compare to other NFL draft 1st round (early 1st) WRs in recent years? 
I don't see any of these guys as being over-hyped. In fact I don't really see a consensus at all.  

I don't see any of these guys as being over-hyped. In fact I don't really see a consensus at all.  
I didnt say he was over hyped. I was just asking how the hype behind Metcalf compares to other wrs in the past. such as Corey Davis for instance, John Ross, Calvin Johnson. I havent been playing dynasty long enough to know this answer myself.

Go back to the pages in here following his 40 at the combine... theres hype

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compared Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf to Hall of Fame wideout Terrell Owens in his most recent analysis of draft-eligible pass-catchers.

"Raw upside is attractive; rare physical traits with straight-line speed to keep defenses on their heels," Miller wrote in his analysis of Metcalf (6'3/228), whose size, athletic ability and pass-catching skills have led to his being compared to Owens. However, while he has the straight-line speed and size to make vertical plays in the passing game, Metcalf's "route tree is underdeveloped" in Miller's words are there are also some health issues to work through. He's expected to go in the first round of this month's draft, but his success at the NFL level is tough to predict given the injuries and lack of production.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 3, 2019, 7:31 PM

I didnt say he was over hyped. I was just asking how the hype behind Metcalf compares to other wrs in the past. such as Corey Davis for instance, John Ross, Calvin Johnson. I havent been playing dynasty long enough to know this answer myself.

Go back to the pages in here following his 40 at the combine... theres hype
Yeah, but when you read through these pages it seems there are 2 wrs that everyone seems to be focused on and Metcalf isn’t one. Perhaps I haven’t been in this thread as much, but brown and Harry right now seem to be a lot of people’s #1. As many people that were hyped by his 40, I think many others saw his 3 cone and said “he’s not my #1.” Or his lack of production due to injuries.

Ross wasn’t really hyped- some people liked him, then he got some traction after getting drafted so early. David was picked ahead of cmc fournette mixon cook in some leagues, so I guess thats pretty hyped. Calvin was hyped, but he was ridiculous. Size/speed/production/clean as a whistle. 

Yeah, but when you read through these pages it seems there are 2 wrs that everyone seems to be focused on and Metcalf isn’t one. Perhaps I haven’t been in this thread as much, but brown and Harry right now seem to be a lot of people’s #1. As many people that were hyped by his 40, I think many others saw his 3 cone and said “he’s not my #1.” Or his lack of production due to injuries.

Ross wasn’t really hyped- some people liked him, then he got some traction after getting drafted so early. David was picked ahead of cmc fournette mixon cook in some leagues, so I guess thats pretty hyped. Calvin was hyped, but he was ridiculous. Size/speed/production/clean as a whistle. 
AJ Brown has had one of the most quiet threads until maybe 2 days ago...

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller spoke with a top-level scout who believes that Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf is far from a lock to be the first wide receiver drafted.

This scout tossed two names at Miller to keep an eye on for WR1, those being A.J. Brown and Marquise Brown. In his recent in-depth scouting breakdown of this wide receivers class, Miller compared Metcalf to Terrell Owens in terms of his "rare physical traits," though he also notes to the critical side of the equation that Metcalf used an "underdeveloped" route tree while at Ole Miss.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 5, 2019, 12:03 PM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranks Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf as the top wide receiver in the 2019 NFL Draft class.

Metcalf gets a first-to-second round grade from Brugler. "Body beautiful with a shredded physique and elite length/wingspan…quick, powerful strides to instantly accelerate off the line," Brugler writes in his strengths. Like many, Brugler has some concerns about Metcalf's quickness, and he calls him a "rudimentary" route runner. "Overall, Metcalf is rough around the edges and needs to fine-tune his routes and finishing skills," writes Brugler, "but he has the freakish qualities to be an enforcer wideout and grow into a team’s No. 1 pass catcher."

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 5, 2019, 3:19 PM

He has potential to be transcendent talent much like Randy Moss. He may not catch 100 balls a season, but Moss only did so twice in his career, Calvin Johnson once.  He can be a major bust also, but I dont see that kind of potential anywhere else in this rookie draft. 

Everyone wants the perfect WR, but that has only existed once in recent memory (Julio Jones) and he had his own warts too. 

Metcalf should probably be the 1.1

The idea that Metcalf is going to "grow into a better route runner" seems dubious to me.

He's either going to be a dominant stud killing CBs week after week after week even though they know what's coming, or his poor lateral movement will prevent him from doing that.  There's not a lot in-between IMO.

The idea that Metcalf is going to "grow into a better route runner" seems dubious to me.

He's either going to be a dominant stud killing CBs week after week after week even though they know what's coming, or his poor lateral movement will prevent him from doing that.  There's not a lot in-between IMO.
He doesn't need a complete route tree. He needs to run deep outs, posts, flags, flys. that's it

Not saying it is or isn't going to happen but if he goes to KC he should be the hands down undisputed 1.01. Even if we knew Hill was exonerated.

I guess a few posters saying they are between Harry and Brown is considered more hype than 12 pages of posts

He has potential to be transcendent talent much like Randy Moss. He may not catch 100 balls a season, but Moss only did so twice in his career, Calvin Johnson once.  He can be a major bust also, but I dont see that kind of potential anywhere else in this rookie draft. 

Everyone wants the perfect WR, but that has only existed once in recent memory (Julio Jones) and he had his own warts too. 

Metcalf should probably be the 1.1
While you see massive upside you still seem unsure yourself that DK should be the #1 pick (although maybe it’s between him and Jacobs for you.) I guess I’m not seeing anyone post that metcalf is their #1 pick or #1 wr with the same conviction as people saying they want Harry or brown, or Jacobs for that matter. Yes, the thread is 12 pages of injury history vs production while there, fast 40 time vs slow 3 cone, whether any of that matters, and praise of upside with recognition of some warts. 

Users who are viewing this thread