What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** OFFICIAL Marvel's Avengers: Endgame **** SPOILERS ALLOWED! Enter at your own risk!!! (1 Viewer)

Heading to a second viewing in a little bit. 

In my viewing of it, the audience applauded during the credits for Chris Evans and RDJr.... and for Scarlett Johansson.  Thought that was kind of cool that she got applause from the crowd over some of the bigger names.
Honestly her sacrifice was the most impactful to me.

One more thing I thought of, why didn't Marvel wear the gauntlet? I mean her powers are derived from one of them, seems she'd be the most likely to survive it. I realize that she wasn't there for the first attempt by Hulk but she could have thrown it on after she picked it up.

I think I missed that one!   I was wondering why they didn't do it with Cap sitting on the bench. I guess that answers why!

I've got tickets to see it a second time, heading out in an hour or so.
Speaking of that how does Sam take over as Captain America? He never took the super soldier serum and has no powers - he only operated the falcon wings and gadgets. Wouldn’t  Bucky have been the better choice?

The film was awesome. Seeing it on opening night made it more so. You know you're with a bunch of hard core fans. And that shared experience only added to the overall enjoyment. I have never been to a movie with so many people cheering action on the screen. When Black Widow sacrifices herself you could hear a pin drop. When Tony died there were audible gasps and crying. I loved the ending with Cap knowing he got to have that life.  I will see it again so I can be more about the details but simply put one of the best movie experiences I have ever had.

Why wasn't Gamora at the funeral with the GoG?

Was her Soul Stone death irreversible like Black Widow's?  Did Tony think she was with Thanos and snap her?
I don’t think she was snapped, but instead ran away. Setting up a nice plot point for GOTG 3.

I don’t think she was snapped, but instead ran away. Setting up a nice plot point for GOTG 3.
So she made friends with Nebula (picked the right side), went and knee'd him in the nuts, then ran away?

Did I miss something?  Why run?

Last edited by a moderator:
Star Lord might have to visit the Red Skull. 

I am amazed at how well many things were tied up. Some of the scenes were quick, like a little more explanation could have been used however most people should be able to get the sense of things. They could have made this into a trilogy itself. Disney did Marvel so well and screwed up Star Wars so bad. Stan Lee would be proud. 

I would never have thought that an Avengers movie would make me emotional, but it did. :cry:

I guess I was more emotionally tied to these characters than I thought. 

Which just goes to show how great these movies and character storylines are. 

Would love to see it again. Really enjoyed it. 

blockquote widgetblockquote widgetlockquote widget

ETA: this bored rules

Okay Black Widow's death blew my mind. We knew either her or Hawkeye would have to die when they got sent to Vorimir but it was still deeply shocking/troubling.

Vision is dead. That's it...wow. When Thor's hammer moved I thought it was gonna be Vision showing up but of course he couldn't because the Mind Stone was in the gauntlet. 

That Cap got the Hammer was maybe the pinnacle of the film. The audience, all of us, lost our minds when that happened.

Speaking of Vision, Scarlett Witch dismantling Thanos was up there as top moment of the film. That was straight up bad ##$.

I would say Loki is dead too but you don't gift him The Tesseract and just let it go for the rest of the film by accident. He'll be back.

Wanted to see Hulk smash in the final battle, I think he belonged with Thor, Cap and Iron Man going toe-to-toewith Thanos. No...he deserved to stand with them. That felt like a misstep regardless his bum arm.

It is definitely amazing and a remarkable job wrapping up this story arc. 

However I am not ready to call it the best MCU film just yet. There is a ton to process.

The problem with having such a large ensemble cast is that, even with a 3 hour runtime there simply isn't enough screen time to go around. Lots of popular characters get maybe a line or two and  that's it.  So, despite all the awesomeness I felt a bit short changed at times.

There are a couple dangling threads left that I imagine will come back in future films (one in particular).  And there is one HUGE surprise that I, in no way even remotely saw coming (well there are more than one but one sticks out for me). Would have been one of the very last predictions I would have made.

I agree that they handled Captain Marvel well and I did really enjoy her standalone film but...she's just overpowered. Thankfully they don't over use that in this film but it's just obvious how powerful she is. I don't know who they can line up as future villains for her. OTOH the "Girl Power" moment, and there absolutely is one, was one of the legit highlights of the film. And it just kept getting better as it developed.

I love post-Ragnarok Thor but...I'm not sure I loved how he was handled in this film. He was awesome but...well I won't talkabout it in here yet except to say that IMO they may have gone too far in the direction they chose. I could say the same for Hulk but he had more nuance IMO.

It definitely lives up to the hype. I can't remember the last time I was in a theater where people so openly and emotionally cheered, and wept, (like a dude behind me was practically bawling...not gonna say if it was joy or sorrow because this film has both). It's a remarkable achievement.

The way they used Hulk was probably the most disappointing aspect of the film for me. Especially since all he did was get trucked by Thanos in the first 5 minutes of Infinity War. 

The Hulk character they got to in Ragnarok was so good, it sucks they basically wrote that version of him out in the final 2 films in favor of Banner. I assume part of it was that they didn’t have screen time for both Banner and Hulk, but I think they could have figured something out. 

The way they used Hulk was probably the most disappointing aspect of the film for me. Especially since all he did was get trucked by Thanos in the first 5 minutes of Infinity War. 

The Hulk character they got to in Ragnarok was so good, it sucks they basically wrote that version of him out in the final 2 films in favor of Banner. I assume part of it was that they didn’t have screen time for both Banner and Hulk, but I think they could have figured something out. 
Yeah. I like smart Hulk but at some point you want to see him SMASH.

The scene from the Battle of New York where 2012 Hulk pulverizes the Chitauri was freaking hysterical.

I thought the movie was great. I got super emotional at the interactions at the end w/ Morgan Stark. Hit close to home being a dad of two littles.

The movie felt kinda slow to start... I know they had to get the infinity stones, but no action for half the movie was a bit of a drag

I'm not a fan of Professor Hulk. It would have been nice to see him try and get some revenge on Thanos, but even if he didn't do the snap, I think Thanos would have wiped the floor with Professor Hulk. 

Thor was hilarious. I have a feeling that my wife will be super disappointed when she gets around to watching it tho LOL

I was surprised w/ how much trouble Thor, Cap, and Iron Man had w/ a non-Gauntlet wielding Thanos. You'd think they would have had an easier time since he's wasn't getting the extra power boost from the infinity stones?

I laughed a lot. I smiled a lot. I really enjoyed the movie. I can't wait to see it again.

I'm not a fan of Professor Hulk. It would have been nice to see him try and get some revenge on Thanos, but even if he didn't do the snap, I think Thanos would have wiped the floor with Professor Hulk. 
That was the biggest - and perhaps only - misstep of the movie for me. How did they not let Hulk at least get some measure of revenge on Thanos after the beating he took in Infinity War? 

AcerFC said:
I would never have thought that an Avengers movie would make me emotional, but it did. :cry:

I guess I was more emotionally tied to these characters than I thought. 

Which just goes to show how great these movies and character storylines are. 

Would love to see it again. Really enjoyed it. 
This. I mean I get all dusty every time I watch Rudy, but didn’t expect to have it happen 3-4 times in this movie, starting with the opening scene.  Sometimes it was with a smile, like the “girl power” part. I guess that’s what having a daughter can do to a guy.

Really enjoyed, and it’s a high bar to live up to with all of the hype. There are just so many intersecting characters and storylines, and for the most part they managed it well. 

Pro-tips:  Before going I went for an hour run and then sat in a sauna for 20 minutes, and didn’t rehydrate much after. Made it all the way through without a bathroom break. And really no need to sit through the credits after the cast is done. 

Captain Marvel is simply too powerful. Thanos with no gauntlet takes on, and defeats Thor, Iron Man and Captain with Mijolnir. 

Then he has to resort to using an Infinity Stone to deal with Captain Marvel. She flies through space cruisers like tissue paper and appears capable of going toe-to-toe with Thanos. Who could they possibly throw up against her in future films?

First off, it was great. It was an amazing accomplishment to bring all of these characters together, like a call back to the great crossover story lines from my youth.  Not as good as Infinity War imo but fitting end to the whole saga. Lots of really well done nuance that I look forward to reading all about here.

Plus Loki is BACK!! :D

I do have a couple of gripes/problems and maybe they will also spark some discussion:

•The Thanos Paradox(tm): if he traveled forward in time and got dusted, then THE SNAP NEVER HAPPENED.  So how have the time branches been fixed?

•Way too long in the beginning.  This movie should have been 2 1/2 hours, max.

•Hulk: not compelling at all.

•They know Captain Marvel but have to really on Bruce Banner experimenting with quantum mechanics? She has contacts throughout the Galaxy - doesn't she know a physics expert who could help out?

Minor quibbles really, except for the first one imo.

First off, it was great. It was an amazing accomplishment to bring all of these characters together, like a call back to the great crossover story lines from my youth.  Not as good as Infinity War imo but fitting end to the whole saga. Lots of really well done nuance that I look forward to reading all about here.

Plus Loki is BACK!! :D

I do have a couple of gripes/problems and maybe they will also spark some discussion:

•The Thanos Paradox(tm): if he traveled forward in time and got dusted, then THE SNAP NEVER HAPPENED.  So how have the time branches been fixed?

•Way too long in the beginning.  This movie should have been 2 1/2 hours, max.

•Hulk: not compelling at all.

•They know Captain Marvel but have to really on Bruce Banner experimenting with quantum mechanics? She has contacts throughout the Galaxy - doesn't she know a physics expert who could help out?

Minor quibbles really, except for the first one imo.
Dusting Thanos is 2023 doesn't change what happened in 2018 because it already happened at that point. It's the Star Trek multiple timelines approach, Banner and Bald Tilda Swinton talked about it in 2012 New York. What that means is they necessarily created an alternate timeline beginning in 2014 by dusting that Thanos. But the 2023 timeline is "ours".

They also did that when Thor took Mijolnir in 2014, he left himself hanging. But I am assuming Cap also brought that back when he returned the stones.

ETA: At least that is how I understand it.

I wouldn't expect them to deal with this in a feature film, but something centered on the people who were un-dusted could make for a pretty decent tv series. 

I am curious to see how that's dealt with in Far From Home. Does that movie take place in 2023?

I didn't think it was too long and I thought it was kind of nice they gave the time to humanizing the characters instead of giving us unnecessary explosions. The final battle would have been less impactful if we had sat through 2 or 3 other epic fights.

They kept the action mostly small and it worked for me. Cap v Cap ("I can do this all day" "Yeah, yeah"  :lmao: ) was the perfect type of pacing IMO.

I wouldn't expect them to deal with this in a feature film, but something centered on the people who were un-dusted could make for a pretty decent tv series. 

I am curious to see how that's dealt with in Far From Home. Does that movie take place in 2023?
ETA:  never mind, misunderstood your post 

That’s been done, it’s called The Leftovers. 
No, this would be a reverse version of that. I am talking about the people who were "dead" for 5 years and then brought back in 2023 unaged. 

That is what happened to everyone who was brought back, right? They are in their 2018 bodies but living in 2023. 

------

I don't mean to over-scrutinize, I think anytime time travel is introduced a lot of stuff isn't going to hold up when you really think about it. This isn't me looking for holes or anything like that.

Dusting Thanos is 2023 doesn't change what happened in 2018 because it already happened at that point. It's the Star Trek multiple timelines approach, Banner and Bald Tilda Swinton talked about it in 2012 New York. What that means is they necessarily created an alternate timeline beginning in 2014 by dusting that Thanos. But the 2023 timeline is "ours".

They also did that when Thor took Mijolnir in 2014, he left himself hanging. But I am assuming Cap also brought that back when he returned the stones.

ETA: At least that is how I understand it.
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Returning stones and mjolnir is what prevented the branching from happening. He didn't return Thanos so they must be on a different branch.  How did the quantum thingamajig manage to shift them to a different branch? It couldn't have. Hence, paradox imo.

What was the deal with Stark and Captain America discussing going back to the 70s in hushed tones like it was some sensitive subject? Stark said something like "I know you know how I know" that the tesseract and Pym were both in the same place at the same time. Does it have something to do with how Stark's parents were killed?

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Returning stones and mjolnir is what prevented the branching from happening. He didn't return Thanos so they must be on a different branch.  How did the quantum thingamajig manage to shift them to a different branch? It couldn't have. Hence, paradox imo.
I agree they absolutely created an alternate branch by dusting Thanos 2014, I don't think there is any way around that, but it was an alternate branch that started in 2014. The 2023 branch is the one we know and that could not be impacted by dusting Thanos 2014.

Returning the stones still seems necessary to help minimize the changes but, yeah I'm not sure. What it also suggests is that Cap could not have appeared on the bench because he would be in the timeline that did not have Thanos 2014, the one that could not have been dusted.

Or maybe returning the stones still led to Thanos 2014 dusting everything as he technically did not die until 2023?

ETA: Alternatively dusted Thanos may be in a transient time slip where time splits at the moment he receives Nebula's transmission. This would allow the continuous 2023 timeline to flow that one taking that Thanos along with it (and get his head  chopped off by Thor) and then the alternate timeline Thanos that joins the 2023 timeline remerging the timelines allowing it to move forward.

Not sure honestly.

LOVED the movie. 

My only confusion was when Loki took the tesserect. They never showed how they got it back. They just went back to 1979 to get more “time travel juice,” and the next thing you know, they got all six infinity stones. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STONE LOKI STOLE????

LOVED the movie. 

My only confusion was when Loki took the tesserect. They never showed how they got it back. They just went back to 1979 to get more “time travel juice,” and the next thing you know, they got all six infinity stones. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STONE LOKI STOLE????
Lol

I want to love this movie more than I do. It touched the right emotional bases and completed most of the original Avengers arcs.  There are tons to like in this movie. However there were some misses for me too. Didn't really like Thor Lebowski though I did find it funny here and there. Didn't really like metro-sexual Hulk. Captain Marvel is either over-powered or not quite powerful enough. Plot holes all over the place. Still, they gave out plenty of fan service and Marvel's greatest hits clips. Honestly it was like one of those tv shows where they start going "remember when" and then show a scene from the previous season. People ate it up, but it felt like filler.

Still processing. Looking forward to seeing it again, but will wait for streaming. No desire to see it in the theater again.

I want to love this movie more than I do. It touched the right emotional bases and completed most of the original Avengers arcs.  There are tons to like in this movie. However there were some misses for me too. Didn't really like Thor Lebowski though I did find it funny here and there. Didn't really like metro-sexual Hulk. Captain Marvel is either over-powered or not quite powerful enough. Plot holes all over the place. Still, they gave out plenty of fan service and Marvel's greatest hits clips. Honestly it was like one of those tv shows where they start going "remember when" and then show a scene from the previous season. People ate it up, but it felt like filler.

Still processing. Looking forward to seeing it again, but will wait for streaming. No desire to see it in the theater again.
Agree they went too far with Thor, but it was still funny. Torn on Hulk. Like Prof Hulk but we still want SMASH!

They did a very solid job keeping the plot tight considering how much ground had been covered and how much ground was covered in the film.

matuski said:
So she made friends with Nebula (picked the right side), went and knee'd him in the nuts, then ran away?

She doesn’t know any of them and has zero connection. She was probably just like I’m getting out of here instead of hanging with a bunch of strangers. 

It was, for me, a bit too melancholy. Very bittersweet some very tear inducing moments.

I love how they handled the time travel and restoring the vanished. Great job with not retconning the bad changes, but bringing everyone back and continuing on.

Stark's redemption and sacrifice was unreal and still makes me sad. Same with Widow and her sacrifice for the betterment of the universe.

Very small gripe - I disliked how they powered people up and down from movie to movie and throughout the movie though. In the first Infinity War they almost wiped the floor with Thanos twice with the Gauntlet. Thor especially. This time they could barely touch him without it. Captain Marvel destroy's Thanos' ship and can barely touch him.

I'm sure I'll have more after a 2nd viewing tomorrow.
That Thanos was 7 years younger than Infinity War Thanos. IW Thanos seemed tired. Like he was close to ending the journey he set his whole life on. 2012 Thanos was invigorated by the thought that he actually finds the stones.

Holy crap that was spectacular. Just an awesome culmination of things. I think I had the hair raise vapors about 20 times.

For the first 30 minutes, I have to admit I was astonished how wrong I thought the movie was going to go.  Instead; Just walked in and lopped off his head, support groups, fat Thor, Chill Hulk. I was cracking up wondering where the heck it was going and what I was watching.  Wow what a fun ride in the 2nd act...a great caper.  I about went nuts when Cap got in the elevator with the agents as that was my favorite scene in my favorite movie of the series (up until now) in Winter Soldier.  And then that 3rd Act...what a payoff. So many moments. Fan service, yes, but each one undeniably earned.

Great great movie and what a blast.

matuski said:

She doesn’t know any of them and has zero connection. She was probably just like I’m getting out of here instead of hanging with a bunch of strangers. 
Right. She has no memories of the Guardians movies.

She knows Nebula... as a rival who wants to kill her.  She's heard they become sisters, but she hasn't lived through that either.

Give the lady a break if she needs some time to deal. 

Users who are viewing this thread