What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (6 Viewers)

Yahoo Sports' Eric Edholm projects Memphis RB Darrell Henderson to Round 3 or Round 4.

It's hard to predict where running backs will be drafted since the perceived positional value of running backs has decreased, but this range feels right for Henderson. Only Alabama's Josh Jacobs is considered to have any Round 1 equity, but there could be a Day 2 run on running backs and Henderson (5'8/208) will be in the mix. At Memphis, Henderson averaged 8.9 yards per carry in two straight seasons, but he may be primarily used as a receiving back in the NFL.

SOURCE: Yahoo Sports

Mar 18, 2019, 7:24 PM

one of my picks is 1.7. I dont want to use one of my premium picks on him. 1.7 is about right based on other mocks. I figure at least 4 wrs and 1 rb should go before Henderson in my draft. I'm hoping Montgomery or Sanders are the 2nd RBS taken in the NFL draft. Or that Hockenson starts to climb rookie draft boards.
I may be getting my Dr.’s confused, but I thought you were considering Hockenson with the 1.07 or 2.01. Am I misremembering?

I may be getting my Dr.’s confused, but I thought you were considering Hockenson with the 1.07 or 2.01. Am I misremembering?
I am keeping my options open at 1.7. I see hockenson as a good NFL te bit I'm not sure hes that much better fantasy te than someone that goes much later in the draft. 1st round is premium... I'm going to save that pick for rbs or wrs I think. but I wont rule anything out! :)

Yahoo Sports' Eric Edholm projects Memphis RB Darrell Henderson to Round 3 or Round 4.

It's hard to predict where running backs will be drafted since the perceived positional value of running backs has decreased, but this range feels right for Henderson. Only Alabama's Josh Jacobs is considered to have any Round 1 equity, but there could be a Day 2 run on running backs and Henderson (5'8/208) will be in the mix. At Memphis, Henderson averaged 8.9 yards per carry in two straight seasons, but he may be primarily used as a receiving back in the NFL.

SOURCE: Yahoo Sports

Mar 18, 2019, 7:24 PM
...and the bold part is what we're worried about.  If true I think his value has to drop.

...and the bold part is what we're worried about.  If true I think his value has to drop.
“Receiving back” is a much higher floor than “grinder” or “goal line back”. Targets are worth 2.5x more than a carry in PPR. About 1.5x in standard. If receiving back is a floor it is a more valuable floor than 2 down between the tackles back. 

“Receiving back” is a much higher floor than “grinder” or “goal line back”. Targets are worth 2.5x more than a carry in PPR. About 1.5x in standard. If receiving back is a floor it is a more valuable floor than 2 down between the tackles back. 
In a PPR league I agree with you.  However, if they turn into the type of back that is only on the field on 3rd down, in my mind that doesn't deserve a 1st rd pick wasted on it.

In a PPR league I agree with you.  However, if they turn into the type of back that is only on the field on 3rd down, in my mind that doesn't deserve a 1st rd pick wasted on it.
I don’t think anyone would disagree but this whole class is there at this point. I think Josh Jacobs (which IMO is unjustified) is the only back likely to go round 1 depending on his workout today. Everyone else is going to be very, very situation dependent. And while I like backs in this class I will be targetting these WR’s/TE’s in round 1 this year and will likely not roster many of them unless they slip.

I don’t think anyone would disagree but this whole class is there at this point. I think Josh Jacobs (which IMO is unjustified) is the only back likely to go round 1 depending on his workout today. Everyone else is going to be very, very situation dependent. And while I like backs in this class I will be targetting these WR’s/TE’s in round 1 this year and will likely not roster many of them unless they slip.
I agree that this class isn't very good.  I think Josh Jacobs is the exception.  I doubt I'll be drafting any RB in Rd 1 not named Jacobs.  In one devy league, where most of the current prospects are already on rosters, might be the one exception but I still probably won't.

Biabreakable said:
Oh come on.

This Cosell the dinosaurs opinion. It really shouldn't surprise you.
How many RBs need to be successful at 200-210 before people wake up and realize this isn't "too small"?

How many RBs need to be successful at 200-210 before people wake up and realize this isn't "too small"?
yes this size factor has been shown to be a complete hoax. 

Phillip Lindsay was thought of as a 3rd down RB only, getting passes only so not a fantasy relevant volume, and too small for the NFL.

I dont know how anyone can make these same claims, a year after his breakout, on another RB (who is way better than Lindsay) with a straight face

Phillip Lindsay was thought of as a 3rd down RB only, getting passes only so not a fantasy relevant volume, and too small for the NFL.

I dont know how anyone can make these same claims, a year after his breakout, on another RB (who is way better than Lindsay) with a straight face
How many RBs under 200 lbs are starting RBs in the league right now?

Aaron Jones, Maurice Jones Drew, some guy name Barry Sanders, christian McCaffery, dalvin cook, kerryon Johnson, Marlon mack

Guys even smaller: tarik Cohen, phillip lindsay
I didn't mean all-time, I meant how many under 200lbs right now.   Aaron Jones is listed at 208 lbs.  He's 5'9' and compact.   McCaffrey is 205 lbs, but he's the best example.  Mack is 210 lbs, Johnson is 206 lbs.   Just not too many as far as I know and the ones that are I'm sure NFL teams would rather match them with another back in a 50/50 split.  Octupus made it sound like they were a dime a dozen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't mean all-time, I meant how many under 200lbs right now.   Aaron Jones is listed at 208 lbs.  He's 5'9' and compact.  
see below

How many are we at so far?

Aaron Jones, Maurice Jones Drew, some guy name Barry Sanders, christian McCaffery, dalvin cook, kerryon Johnson, Marlon mack

Guys even smaller: tarik Cohen, phillip lindsay

see below
Cohen isn't a feature back.  Lindsey is the only one under 200 lbs and playing now that has been listed.  Henderson weighed in at 208 lbs, so he could definitely be as successful as those listed over 200 lbs.  I thought he was lighter than that.

sigh... you didn't read. I was referencing tangfoots question of how many successful backs there are, and a few have beens, at 200-210. No one here is talking about sub 200. Henderson is not sub 200
OK, if you're talking about backs between 200 and 210 lbs, then yes, Henderson definitely falls within that range and could be successful.  It's not the optimal size however.  I don't think most  NFL teams want backs under 210 lbs being a workhorse back and would rather thunder and lightening them in a 50/50 split.  That is not good for fantasy.  Note that I didn't say all NFL teams.

Help me with point of reference by naming a few.
Seriously?

Just off the top of my head: Tiki Barber, Lesean McCoy, Jamal Charles, Maurice Jones Drew, Ray Rice, Clinton Portis, Philip Lindsay, Brian Westbrooks, Priest Holmes, Christian McCafrrey, Chris Johnson.... that took me ten seconds if you need more I'll put some more thought into it.

I didn't mean all-time, I meant how many under 200lbs right now.   Aaron Jones is listed at 208 lbs.  He's 5'9' and compact.   McCaffrey is 205 lbs, but he's the best example.  Mack is 210 lbs, Johnson is 206 lbs.   Just not too many as far as I know and the ones that are I'm sure NFL teams would rather match them with another back in a 50/50 split.  Octupus made it sound like they were a dime a dozen.
They are. You're on this board often I can't believe I even need to list RBs around 205 pounds.

every one I listed? I feel like maybe I'm being trolled here. You can't follow the NFL and have 17,000 posts on this board and still think a 205 pound RB is too small.
Actually when first started posting on the subject I was referring to backs under 200 lbs or right at it.  The profile I read on Henderson had him right at 200 lbs but since found he weighed 208 lbs at the combine, which bodes better for him than I initially thought.

Actually when first started posting on the subject I was referring to backs under 200 lbs or right at it.  The profile I read on Henderson had him right at 200 lbs but since found he weighed 208 lbs at the combine, which bodes better for him than I initially thought.
My first post you responded to said "...backs at 200-210". Why would anyone be discussing backs under 200 pounds as that does not apply to Henderson and of course that's more rare.

It's rare for almost every position in football but punter, kicker and CB - and even that's starting to change.

if 5'9 208 is compact, what is 5'8 208 considered? 
Again, for the third time, the profile I initially read on Henderson had him at 200 lbs.  I now know the combine has him at 208.  Compact or not is a visul thing, not a numbers thing

He's been doing it for decades. It's like muscle memory.

He actually thought Dion Lewis was going to play more than Henry. About the only time I have seen him deviate from this narrative.

Again, for the third time, the profile I initially read on Henderson had him at 200 lbs.  I now know the combine has him at 208.  Compact or not is a visul thing, not a numbers thing
even if Henderson is 200... 

5'8 200 = 30.4 bmi

5'9 208 = 30.7 bmi

is 0.3 really the difference between a guy can play vs hes too small?

That's 2 pounds. Could be the difference of a large meal and the timing of his latest BM

Help me with point of reference by naming a few.
Maurice Jones Drew, Curtis Martin, Lesean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, Ahmad Bradshaw, Ray Rice, Tiki Barber, Brian Westbrook, Reggie Bush, Christian McCaffrey, Clinton Portis, Devonta Freeman, DeAngelo Henderson.

All under 210 at the draft.

ETA:  HIPPLING!

If the bolded happens and he hears his name called before end of round two I have to think in this draft he's more likely to be a top 5 pick.
I disagree actually. I see him going 6-8 at best. But I also dont think he is drafted until round 3. I think Jacobs, Sanders, Singletary, and maybe even Montgomery go before him

I disagree actually. I see him going 6-8 at best. But I also dont think he is drafted until round 3. I think Jacobs, Sanders, Singletary, and maybe even Montgomery go before him
I think this ^^^ is more likely but if he goes day 2 to a team in need he would vault up the rankings. I could see someone in need of RB rolling the dice top 5. 

I think this ^^^ is more likely but if he goes day 2 to a team in need he would vault up the rankings. I could see someone in need of RB rolling the dice top 5. 
IMO the only way he is top 5 is if he is the 1st rb taken. 

Metcalf, Harry, Brown, Butler, Harmon Brown, could all be top 5 easy. Jacobs is likely the 1st rb taken in the draft, and he should be top 5. 

If someone is taking Henderson top 5, they are reaching/in need of a rb and passing up some amazing wr talent. 

Even if he is rb2 in the draft, I find it hard to see him going ahead of Butler and Harmon in rookie drafts... But things can get crazy. 

I'm sitting at 1.9 in one league and I expect him to be there. if not I'll have some awesome talent dropping to me

Gandalf said:
He’s going to go late first I think if he lands in a spot without an established stud RB
I can't see any of these RBs going late first if they land in a favorable situation, because most probably won't.

I can't see any of these RBs going late first if they land in a favorable situation, because most probably won't.
Almost any of the RBs that lands in a place without a clear starter is likely to go top 5 or 6 at worst - that’s just the way rookie drafts tend to go.

Almost any of the RBs that lands in a place without a clear starter is likely to go top 5 or 6 at worst - that’s just the way rookie drafts tend to go.
true. I just think there is much better wr talent than RB talent. I'd be thrilled if Harmon falls to pick 7. or even Butler. while Henderson is an intriguing rookie, he has some questionmarks, more than some of these wrs do. Even some of these RBs. If Sanders is drafted by Buffalo and Henderson is drafted by Oakland, I'm probably taking Sanders even though he has to sit for a season. 

Unless one of these guys goes to a team like the Rams, Bengals, Jets, or another team with a young stud RB I'm sticking with my rankings when it comes to drafting. I'd be thrilled if someone bought on a lower ranked rb because of his 2019 situation.This draft will be loaded with backs who in 2-3 seasons are going to be incredibly more valuable than they are today. 

Users who are viewing this thread