What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (3 Viewers)

I just traded for him before this week’s game.  I have no idea what to expect going forward now.  Why did McVay try to get cute?  

Darrell Henderson rushed eight times for 22 yards in the Rams' Week 4 win over the Giants, adding one catch for 16 yards. 

Henderson got a few totes in the Rams' opening drive, narrowly missing a short touchdown. It was all downhill from there for Henderson. Malcolm Brown led the team in rushing with Cam Akers (rib) out. Week 4 was a far cry from the Week 3 version of Henderson, who served as the team's workhorse on his way to 120 total yards. We probably won't be able to know which Rams running backs will get the nod on a weekly basis. Henderson could be a flex option next week against Washington. 

Oct 4, 2020, 7:19 PM ET

The whole team laid an egg. But its concerning Mcvay didn't give him the majority of touches. Hopefully, we see a bounce back.

Seems like they truly just don't like him for some reason. I thought the last couple of weeks might have changed that, but here we are. Maybe it was just more of a "Malcolm Brown" type of game, whatever that means. 

Seems like they truly just don't like him for some reason. I thought the last couple of weeks might have changed that, but here we are. Maybe it was just more of a "Malcolm Brown" type of game, whatever that means. 
yeah was thinking the same thing, possibly a grind it out against a bad team with brown. might be wishful thinking but maybe mcvay didnt want to waste him in that spot.

yeah was thinking the same thing, possibly a grind it out against a bad team with brown. might be wishful thinking but maybe mcvay didnt want to waste him in that spot.
I mean, they barely won, so the concept of not wasting him, seems pretty silly. 

I think maybe Henderson's workload could have been inflated due to Brown's finger injury? Truthfully, I have no idea why Henderson wasn't used more, he brings so much more to the table, and they almost blew up in what should have been the lock of the week.

Thanks a lot 

0-3 and needed every point 

right now he has 4.2 points 😢
I've gotten destroyed with COVID this week Ben Juju and Conners all out. I had Cook and decided to start Henderson after the last two weeks. Had Keenan Allen as a flex to Replace Juju and Rodgers to replace Ben. Needed a new flex went with Jeff Wilson who did nothing. Only saving Grace is Hill is thankfully playing tomorrow and I got Rodgers and Mason Crosby in the other game. Need 54 ps which if Rodgers and Crosby play to what they have the first 3 weeks I don't need a big game out of Hill so it may not have hurt me too bad Henderson play this week 

I've gotten destroyed with COVID this week Ben Juju and Conners all out. I had Cook and decided to start Henderson after the last two weeks. Had Keenan Allen as a flex to Replace Juju and Rodgers to replace Ben. Needed a new flex went with Jeff Wilson who did nothing. Only saving Grace is Hill is thankfully playing tomorrow and I got Rodgers and Mason Crosby in the other game. Need 54 ps which if Rodgers and Crosby play to what they have the first 3 weeks I don't need a big game out of Hill so it may not have hurt me too bad Henderson play this week 
Thanks!!!!

Thanks!!!!
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/747601-bragging-venting-crowing-grieving/

Scott Pianowski, Week 4 Fantasy Booms and Busts: Dallas Cowboys are crashing, but 2020 "Overs" keep cashing

• I think Sean McVay believes in himself more than he does any singular back in his rotation. Three different backs have shown some momentum in the last six weeks or so, but no one’s been able to sustain it. This is part of what you get with the vanity play designers, albeit McVay’s chops cannot be questioned.
Matt Harmon, What to care/not care about from Week 4: The Eagles aren't pretty and we should just accept that

The Rams backfield was predictably unpredictable 

All summer I said that the Rams backfield was going to be a committee because I believed Sean McVay when he told us that was what he wanted. That said, I still bought into Darrell Henderson Jr.’s momentum over the last two weeks.

He balled out in Weeks 2 and 3, but I should have listened to myself. It didn’t matter. 

Malcolm Brown took 35 snaps to 22 for Henderson, handling 14 touches to Henderson’s nine. The elder back was the clear preference in the passing game as he ran 21 routes while Henderson went out for just five. Nothing could have tipped us off to be prepared for this switch. Well, nothing except everything the team said all offseason. I admit I got caught up in the moment.

In reality, we can’t care too much about this unpredictability because it was perfectly predictable. What we should care about is the Rams offense overall looking a bit stuck in the mud. Coming into Week 4, the Rams led the NFL in both passing and rushing success rate. Against a Giants team that was embarrassed by the 49ers JV team last week, they managed just 17 points. Perhaps that will lead to McVay making even more tweaks when the team takes on Washington in Week 5.
The bolded is unbelievable considering McVay does believe in advanced football metrics and they're been touting Henderson as a guy to feed 20+ touches after the last 2 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rams regime hates Henderson.....Akers is the announced one....they gambled with Brown over the more dynamic Henderson to “grease the skids” for Akers when he’s back from injury.

2019 Henderson gets annointedn the future of the franchise,mgurley struggles, Henderson does nothing

Offseason team drafts cam akers

Training camp Malcolm Brown emerges as the leader of a committee backfield

Week 1 Malcolm Brown leads the committee and has a big game, akers gets some carries and doesnt look as good, Henderson basically an afterthought 

Week 2 Malcolm Brown starts and breaks his finger, Henderson gets more run late and looks good

Week 3 Malcolm Brown has finger taped, plays some but Henderson has a big game 

Week 4 Malcolm Brown is the starter, Henderson basically an afterthought 

Fantasy football community: It's impossible to predict!

2019 Henderson gets annointedn the future of the franchise,mgurley struggles, Henderson does nothing

Week 1 Malcolm Brown leads the committee and has a big game, akers gets some carries and doesnt look as good, Henderson basically an afterthought 

Week 2 Malcolm Brown starts and breaks his finger, Henderson gets more run late and looks good

I was right about McVay.

But at least on a YPC basis Brown significantly out performed Henderson.  So it could have been a hot hand thing (or more like cold hand since Brown wasn't awesome either).  Against Buffalo the snaps were 50/50, but Henderson got all the work.  Might also be because of practice - maybe Henderson doesn't put in the effort during practice or something.

But at least on a YPC basis Brown significantly out performed Henderson.  So it could have been a hot hand thing (or more like cold hand since Brown wasn't awesome either).  Against Buffalo the snaps were 50/50, but Henderson got all the work.  Might also be because of practice - maybe Henderson doesn't put in the effort during practice or something.
No, it's because McVay doesn't like your fantasy team :sarcasm:

I promptly picked him up off waivers in my league after the pinky injury. My line of thinking was, “Sure, I’ll take that potentially starting RB for an offensive  minded coach. Thanks!”.

Week 1, Henderson was coming off of a hamstring injury

let me give you another scenario

Seattle drafted Penny to be the guy, but Carson came back that year and balled his way into starting all year.

Players ball out and take the projected starter position all of the time

The Rams regime hates Henderson.....Akers is the announced one....they gambled with Brown over the more dynamic Henderson to “grease the skids” for Akers when he’s back from injury.
They invested important draft capital into DH, they obviously don’t hate him.  But no one knows his game better then they do, they certainly know better then us internet warriors or the fantasy “experts”.  There is clearly something in his game they are seeing in practice and game day that doesn’t line up with what they want.  

man oh man I really thought I had something for even just this week. so many backs let me down this weekend. i thought brown looked pretty bad out there. usually i see him and think he is a competent vet, i can see why they play him, but not yesterday. idk. 

I certainly knew better, but these knee jerk reactionaries who change their mind on a weekly basis, makes statements like that.
It's pretty disappointing to get 4pts out of the guy, but like NE RB's, you just cannot count on certain coaches to run a bell cow out there each week. Henderson is near worthless from a fantasy standpoint unless we see more injuries crop up.

It's pretty disappointing to get 4pts out of the guy, but like NE RB's, you just cannot count on certain coaches to run a bell cow out there each week. Henderson is near worthless from a fantasy standpoint unless we see more injuries crop up.
One week yes, another week no.

I’m buying Henderson and selling Akers in dynasty. I’m hoping Henderson owners will treat him like a throw in again after this week, assuming he’s clearly behind Akers now. It was only a couple weeks, but Henderson flashed to me. The situation is an absolute mess and I’m not planning to rely on any of these guys this season. But I think the talent level is pretty close with Henderson and Akers,  but the gap in cost is going to be massive. 

In McVay's press conference he says they couldn't get into a rhythm running the football, that's pretty general. 
Only good news for people with Henderson is the offense stunk and Brown did nothing to help. Maybe McVay will see the tape and think Henderson needs a bigger role again.

I have Akers (re-draft) and thinking of offering Drake for Henderson this week, just to get a piece of this Rams pie. I have a feeling the coaching in Arizona just stinks overall and Murray isn't really that great of a QB.

I have Akers (re-draft) and thinking of offering Drake for Henderson this week, just to get a piece of this Rams pie. I have a feeling the coaching in Arizona just stinks overall and Murray isn't really that great of a QB.
Man, I've been pretty impressed with Henderson so far, but that feels like you should get quite a bit added for Drake. I do agree Drake is unsurprisingly not living up to his ADP, but still quite a difference between the two. 

McVay is a baby Belichick....that's the only explanation you guys need to understand. Stick to that understanding and therefore you won't expect anything...

Ministry of Pain said:
In McVay's press conference he says they couldn't get into a rhythm running the football, that's pretty general. 
Say what? 

Let's put that dumb statement in  some context.

Henderson was the feature back on one drive, the opening drive. He carried  5 times for 28 yards accounting for 43% of the production on a 12 play almost half a quarter 65 yard driven which culminated in one of only two TD's scored by Rams. Basically everything a coach would want to see happen with his running game on the opening drive and from that McVay concluded Henderson was not in rhythm?  He got one single touch the rest of the first half and 3 in the second. A demotion, a benching, whatever you want to call is what happened after that highly successful opening drive.

Let's look at the obnoxiousness of this comment by drive. Drive one is Henderson's lone drive before boy wonder essentially benched him.

12 plays, 65 yards, TD.

1 play, 10 yards,  fumble

3 plays, -6 yards,  punt

15 plays, 47 yards, FG.

5 plays, 21 yards, punt

5 plays, 10 yards, punt

3 plays, 4 yards, punt

8 plays, 91 yards, TD on  a 55 yard pass

3 plays, one yard, punt

RamsWire: Sean McVay explains RB rotation, lack of touches for Darrell Henderson vs. Giants

The first thing he wanted to point out was that Henderson took a big shot in the game and the Rams wanted to make sure he was OK – which he was. But with the game being more of a downhill, grind-it-out battle, McVay felt it was better to use Brown.

“He’s good. He got a got a good shot where we were just making sure he’s feeling good. He came back in, but really it was kind of a physical downhill kind of a dirty-type running game,” McVay said. “We weren’t really able to run. We didn’t get as many opportunities. Really because we weren’t as efficient on third down that led to a lot of the lack of success, if you will just all offensively overall. I think you look at what a small margin for error it was. To answer your original question, and then I’ll go on a little tangent myself, we wanted to rotate those guys, but the way that the game kind of ended up playing out, Malcolm ended up getting more touches. It was hard to get into any sort of rhythm.”

There’s no question Henderson is a better runner outside the tackles, thriving when he can get to the edge and turn the corner. Brown is more accustomed to running between the tackles and getting those hard-earned yards, while rarely ripping off big runs like Henderson does.

Based on McVay’s comments, it sounds like the Giants took away the Rams’ outside zone runs, which the film would back up. There were some cutback lanes to be found, but nothing like the ones Henderson found last week against the Bills.

After his initial explanation, McVay went on to summarize the Rams’ lack of opportunities on offense, which also played a big part in the reduced carries by Henderson. After the first drive, Henderson had just four touches, partly because the Rams’ possessions were brief and lacked progress.

“I think when you just look at what a fine line it is between playing well and then it not really feeling like you’re getting nearly the production that’s expected of this unit and that what we’ve been accustomed to is, you have your first series go 12 plays go right down the field and ended up scoring a touchdown. Second series, you end up fumbling on the first play that then gives them a little bit of momentum that they end up getting a field goal out of. You go three-and-out on a situation on the third series, where we got a play-action, that we would typically hit on a second down that’s there and they’re place that we’ve made. We end up taking a sack on third down where uncharacteristic plays by our guys that we just really haven’t missed. Then, we ended up getting a 14-play drive that because of a red-zone mistake, probably ends up resulting in a field goal instead of a touchdown when you take a sack there. So, that’s all of our drives in the first half.”
/doubt

Sounds like Akers is going to be back this week. Its possible Henderson owners missed their sell high window, or Henderson isn't a bad buy low right now. 

That article to me reads like McVay doesn’t see Henderson as someone who can run “downhill” between the tackles.  If that’s true, he’ll only be used in specific game scripts where he thinks the defenses will give them the outside. 

That article to me reads like McVay doesn’t see Henderson as someone who can run “downhill” between the tackles.  If that’s true, he’ll only be used in specific game scripts where he thinks the defenses will give them the outside. 
Which is odd because he's had plenty of between-the-tackles runs in this streak he's been on. I'm guessing McVay doesn't believe in the sample size.

Or McVay isn't as smart as we think?
As infuriating as the situation was I'm not ready to say that but I do think he is guilty of overthinking  it in this case.

I mean he keeps going on and on about not liking the rhythm or rushing attack and preferring a grind it out game but none of that makes sense since the opening drive was only drive Henderson was featured and all he did was pick up 28 of their 65 yards while they drove for a TD. A 12 play 65 yard drive ending in a TD should be exactly what every coach wants but from that he seemed to get down on using Henderson, was looking for something else.

One excuse he did not give a Rams beat writer did during the game when I think they were getting hit with "where is Henderson" questions was that Giants were in heavy blitz mode and Brown is better in pass protection. Whether I agree or not that makes more sense then what McVay is spouting.

RamsWire: Sean McVay explains RB rotation, lack of touches for Darrell Henderson vs. Giants

Based on McVay’s comments, it sounds like the Giants took away the Rams’ outside zone runs, which the film would back up. There were some cutback lanes to be found, but nothing like the ones Henderson found last week against the Bills.

/doubt
Most of Henderson's impressive runs against the Bills were not outside the tackles, they were straight up the middle.  So McVay's thoughts are somewhat interesting, but this reporter's not so much.

Based on the other comments McVay made, I'd think it's more McVay wondering what the heck was wrong in the offense and thinking it's not the RB (neither Brown nor Henderson), so all his attention was on fixing the other problems and he forgot that he could bring in Henderson if he wanted to.

I'd be looking for reasons to sit Henderson this week, until we know what his role will be with Akers back. In theory, Henderson should see the most work, but who knows. Its hard to trust him, even in a pretty solid matchup.

I'd view him as a flex play this week. RB25-RB35 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread