What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undocumented Immigrant Thread (3 Viewers)

Especially when it was first posted in the Fox thread pointing out the absurdity of Fox posting it today. 
It wasn't absurd. It was a interesting piece by Senator David Perdue who was one of the key members that helped convince Trump to separate the border funding of the bill and approve it. It provided information on what had taken place to lead up to this. Why is that absurd? Because it showed it wasn't all the Republicans fault at that time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting piece

Sen. David Perdue: What’s causing the delay in disaster relief? Here’s what really happened behind closed doors

It's not all on Trump and the Republicans.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/sen-david-perdue-whats-causing-the-delay-in-disaster-relief-heres-what-really-happened-behind-closed-doors
Aside from the date, I read this piece and I don’t understand what Perdue is claiming. Feinstein switched her vote and Harris was absent, why?

That it possibly looked like they were going approve the bill after they gave the Dems what they wanted and then Schumer changed his mind.

Is that really what happened? Schumer said, "We will pass this bill if you give us X, Y, and Z?" The GOP said ok, you got everything you asked for. Then Schumer said, "I changed my mind. No,"?

I find that hard to believe that's exactly what happened, but if it is, that seems ####ty of Schumer and the Dems.

And while Tim was on his high horse trying to tell everyone my intentions I think his new thread title is misleading. I disagree with how Roy voted but he gave several reasons and one was funding for Trump's immigration plan which is not just building a wall.

Is that really what happened? Schumer said, "We will pass this bill if you give us X, Y, and Z?" The GOP said ok, you got everything you asked for. Then Schumer said, "I changed my mind. No,"?

I find that hard to believe that's exactly what happened, but if it is, that seems ####ty of Schumer and the Dems.
Know one knows for sure but it is another example of how crappy politics can be and both sides are guilty of it. I agree if it went down like Perdue said then that falls on the Dems.  I was able to see a panel several years ago at a conference with Bill Bradley and George Will. They basically said we will rarely see politicians do what is right for this country because all they care about is getting re-elected. It was very interesting to listen to them.

You have to consider the source in all these "he said, she said" things.  In this case it's a GOP senator claiming to know of private conversations between two Dem Senators etc.  Events that allegedly took place months ago....why we are supposed to care about a GOP allegation of a conversation in private between two Dem Senators a couple months ago is beyond me.  I suspect it's a "look, they do it to" sort of thing to deflect from what happened today.

You have to consider the source in all these "he said, she said" things.  In this case it's a GOP senator claiming to know of private conversations between two Dem Senators etc.  Events that allegedly took place months ago....why we are supposed to care about a GOP allegation of a conversation in private between two Dem Senators a couple months ago is beyond me.  I suspect it's a "look, they do it to" sort of thing to deflect from what happened today.
I don’t think it is any deflection. I didn’t like what Roy did, many Republicans are speaking out against Roy, and I haven’t seen anyone support Roy here.

I don’t think it is any deflection. I didn’t like what Roy did, many Republicans are speaking out against Roy, and I haven’t seen anyone support Roy here.
I know. It's just a coincidence that the article from months ago was posted today. I appreciate the words said in this comment and i agree. The link to alleged conversations has nothing to do with that though and just gets in the way imo

I know. It's just a coincidence that the article from months ago was posted today. I appreciate the words said in this comment and i agree. The link to alleged conversations has nothing to do with that though and just gets in the way imo
I thought it did relate to today and doesn’t get in the way. Different views on the road this legislation has taken. Thanks for not being snarky as well. I’m confident this will get passed next week. Have a great Memorial Day weekend. 

That it possibly looked like they were going approve the bill after they gave the Dems what they wanted and then Schumer changed his mind.
I don’t think this is correct. Iirc Dems thought that PR wasn’t getting enough aid or relief, Feinstein voted yes on cloture then Schumer had her vote with the caucus on the actual bill. That’s not uncommon. 

A federal judge on Friday temporarily blocked the Trump administration from spending billions to construct a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border with money from Trump national emergency declaration.

U.S. District Court Judge Haywood Gilliam’s ruling applies to construction in specific areas in Texas and Arizona.

“In short, the position that when Congress declines the Executive’s request to appropriate funds, the executive nonetheless may simply find a way to spend those funds “without Congress” does not square with fundamental separation of powers principles dating back to the earliest days of our republic.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/judge-temporarily-blocks-trump-border-wall-construction-plans.amp

Have we discussed in here the fact that the $1.5 billion in “wall” funding has yielded roughly 1.7 miles of fence over about a year and a half?

At this rate we will have a full fence in only 1000 years or so, costing $2 trillion adjusted for inflation! Woohoo!

But Trump said that drugs came across the border in the backpacks of border crossers.  You mean the truth is only a tiny percentage of drugs come over this way?

Huh, Trump telling another lie to fire up his base.  Shocking. 
“Flying drugs across the border is not as common as other methods, but the Border Patrol said, "Transnational criminal organizations use a wide range of techniques to smuggle both humans and narcotics into the United States."

“Flying drugs across the border is not as common as other methods, but the Border Patrol said, "Transnational criminal organizations use a wide range of techniques to smuggle both humans and narcotics into the United States."
Right....the most common way is to walk/drive right through the ports of entry but lets focus on a wall that isn't going to address that reality and forego billions towards judges, housing, lawyers, new technology that would.

Soooo, you're saying the wall doesn't have to be see through after all?

Was it jury nullification or just failure to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt?
My understanding of the case is that the facts weren't seriously in dispute.  But do you really want to be the guy who sends this person to jail for providing water to people in a desert?

But but I was told from  posters here that the vast majority of illegal aliens show up for court and want to follow our laws.  Apparently Not

I wasn’t talking about what the vice article is saying. I was specifically saying 90% don’t show up for their hearing. Which should surprise exactly zero people. 
Um- did you read the vice article?

Both McAleenan and Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, who chairs the committee, suggested that 90% of asylum seekers released from ICE custody don’t show up for their court hearings. But McAleenan changed his tune after Democratic Sen. **** Durbin cited data showing that 92% of asylum seekers who filed claims between fiscal years 2013 and 2017 did show up to court.

Users who are viewing this thread