What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (1 Viewer)

NFL Media's Bucky Brooks believes Duke QB Daniel Jones has "plenty of supporters in the league."

Brooks adds that Jones (6'5/220) "might not have the highest ceiling (Pro Bowler) but he has a high floor (solid starter) and some execs would opt for a certain double over gambling for a HR." Jones is a very interesting conundrum for the scouting community with a lot of his poor counting stats and metrics being written off by an abysmal supporting cast at Duke. As we approach the NFL Draft it seems more and more likely Jones will not only be a first-round selection but potentially a top-10 pick.

SOURCE: Bucky Brooks on Twitter

Apr 20, 2019, 8:43 AM

This is interesting. I respect Brandt's opinion very much and comparisons to P Manning are exactly why I like him. His arm strength has me very concerned, but when you look at other QBs out there, I wonder if its overblown:

Daniel Jones: 54mph

Peyton Manning: 59mph

Mitch Trubisky: 55mph

Russell Wilson: 56mph

Deshaun Watson: 49mph

Carson Wentz: 57mph

Jimmy G: 56mph

Granted, Jones is second lowest on this list, but I dont recall anyone writing Trubisky off their boards due to arm strength. 

Jones could be a sneaky pick yet 

I don't like this guy at all anymore.  I was indifferent, but the RSP swayed me.  I'm curious to see where he goes next week. 

I've said it all along, I think we haven't seen anywhere near his ceiling due to limited talent around him at Duke. And heart/brains DO matter a lot at this position. Think about how many "physically gifted" QBs failed because they didn't have the head/heart for the position (Russell, Manziel, Leaf, Young, etc.) 

I don't like this guy at all anymore.  I was indifferent, but the RSP swayed me.  I'm curious to see where he goes next week. 
I'm not targeting him in the draft, but if he's undrafted I may take a swing. he still intrigues me. there is a scenario where I draft him, but I'm hoping my draft board falls how I expect it to so I dont have to

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not targeting him in the draft, but if he's undrafted I may take a swing. he still intrigues me. there is a scenario where I draft him, but I'm hoping my draft board falls how I expect it to so I dont have to
For sure, I would pick him late in superflex and definitely spend a roster spot to find out if he somehow went undrafted... Especially if the draft capital is anything more than minimal. 

Rotoworld take:

Gil Brandt believes that Duke QB Daniel Jones is "the same guy" as Peyton Manning.

We have seen a lot of hype for Daniel Jones (6'5/220) over the past few weeks but this may take the cake. Brandt tries to clarify the lofty comparison by saying "He’s athletic. He doesn’t have a rocket for an arm, but neither did Peyton. Very smart." While Brandt may think this is a good comparison on film and based on intangibles, statistically it's laughable. Manning completed 2.6 percent more passes while averaging 1.7 more yards per attempt. His TD/INT rate also dwarfed Jones' in a less passer-friendly era. Jones will likely be selected at some point in the first round and has been routinely mocked to the Giants.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk

Apr 20, 2019, 1:23 PM

Its weird to me, how some people find Kyler Murray to be a risky prospect, but not Jones. Jones succeeding would be a way bigger surprise.

Murray has everything except size, Jones seemingly only has size.

Murray is elite in all meaningful passing stats, Jones is below average to downright bad, and that can't just be blamed on supporting cast. Jones YPA, and comp% are awful by any standards.  

Jones has mediocre accuracy, a below average arm, and doesn't make good decisions. Other than that, he's a great prospect. 

NFL Film's Greg Cosell said Duke QB Daniel Jones reminds him of Nick Foles.

Cosell compares their ability to stay in the pocket and deliver while being pressured. Neither quarterback is a fantastic athlete, but they both can move enough to create inside the pocket. To further add to the comparison, neither quarterback had a lot of college production, but that's probably why Foles slipped to Round 3. As we all know, Jones is expected to be drafted way earlier than that this time around.

SOURCE: NFL Films on Twitter

Apr 23, 2019, 6:59 PM

SYN's Ralph Vacchiano said NFL evaluators expect the New York Giants to trade up from 17th overall to select Duke QB Daniel Jones.

"That's their guy. They love him and they have for a while. I can't imagine they'll wait until 17. He's not likely to last that long," said the NFL source. This would make sense unless the Giants are really comfortable that another team won't take Jones (6'5/220) ahead of them at 17th overall, and teams are usually aggressive when they're targeting a quarterback. One thing that's not an issue for the Giants is a lack of ammo to make a move up the board because Gettleman opted to get rid of all his best players for 2019 draft picks.

SOURCE: SYN

Apr 24, 2019, 12:17 PM

Respect Gil but totally disagree

Its weird to me, how some people find Kyler Murray to be a risky prospect, but not Jones. Jones succeeding would be a way bigger surprise.

Murray has everything except size, Jones seemingly only has size.

Murray is elite in all meaningful passing stats, Jones is below average to downright bad, and that can't just be blamed on supporting cast. Jones YPA, and comp% are awful by any standards.  

Jones has mediocre accuracy, a below average arm, and doesn't make good decisions. Other than that, he's a great prospect. 
I can't find Jones to be a risky pick because I fully expect him to bust  / be an adequate backup.

DANIEL JONES QB, DUKE BLUE DEVILS

According to ESPN's Dianna Russini, the Redskins are debating between Duke QB Daniel Jones and Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins should the team pick a quarterback in the first round.

Washington currently has two issues to hash out: whether or not to take a quarterback in the first round, and which one to take if they do go that route. Per Russini's report owner Daniel Snyder and GM Bruce Allen are backing Haskins, while others are in the room prefer Jones. Washington currently holds the 15th overall pick, and should Haskins be the choice they'll likely need to make a trade in order to move up. Jones has also been mentioned in connection with the Giants, who hold the 6th and 17th overall picks.

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 12:23 PM

Rotoworld take:

Giants selected Duke QB Daniel Jones with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

It certainly makes sense for the Giants to add a quarterback at No. 6, but picking this one this high is another questionable decision in an offseason full of them. Jones (6’5/221) turned pro after making 36 starts for David Cutcliffe’s Blue Devils, managing a 17-19 career record as a 59.9% passer at just 6.4 yards per attempt with a 52:29 TD-to-INT ratio. Jones did show plus mobility with 17 career rushing TDs and a 4.81 forty in Indy, also acing the Wonderlic Test (37). Jones’ poor supporting cast was partly to blame for his poor college efficiency, but he struggles with passes batted down at the line of scrimmage, is much more of a touch than power thrower, and routinely took far too long to get the ball out at Duke. Although Jones looks the part and offers pro-style experience, he is likelier to max out as a low-end starter/high-end backup in the Ryan Tannehill mold. On the "bright side," Jones is unlikely to push Eli Manning for the starting job this season.

Apr 25, 2019, 7:11 PM

Daniel Jones final college game vs Wake Forest.  17-36.  145 yards.  1 TD.  1 INT.    QBR 11.2   Result Loss to WF by 59-7.   I don't care if he was surrounded with HS players.  That's pitiful.

Is Gettleman trolling the city of NY, or the entire NFL at this point?.......

"Giants GM Dave Gettleman reiterated that Eli Manning is the team's starter in 2019.

"Maybe we’re going to be the Green Bay model, where Rodgers sat for three years," Gettleman suggested following his reach for Duke QB Daniel Jones at No. 6. "You can never have too many good players at one position." ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports that Gettleman called Eli Manning while selecting Jones and relayed to his veteran quarterback that he's still the starter moving forward. Coach Pat Shurmur added that he told Manning, "It's your job to win games and keep this guy off the field." This is the second time the Giants' GM referenced another team while discussing his own team's philosophy, infamously citing the 'Kansas City model' the last time he mentioned developing a rookie behind a veteran. The fact of the matter is the Giants may not have one good player under center right now, let alone too many.

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 26, 2019, 3:35 PM"

So they used the 6th pick in the draft to have depth behind Eli? It seems like he's just trying to get fired. Does he have the guaranteed Gruden/OAK and none of know it?

That's basically a problem with hyper-modernity and "swag" as sort of embodying in a word the "cool" that is a hyper-masculine braggadocio. Of course the journo has no idea what "swag" means to an old school coach. He sees stupid "swag" commercials for Old Spice and knows he hates the hyper-ironic, overly over-masculine behavior exhibited therein. 

Someone either dropped a basket full of scorpions on the table between @minakimes & @MGolicJR57 or Dave Gettleman just made a first round draft pick

Is it possible that swag shade directed at OBJ to carry favor with Gettleman?

----------------------------------------------

Warren Sharp‏Verified account @SharpFootball Warren Sharp Retweeted Kimberley A. Martin

It literally gets NO WORSE than this. Are they drafting Drew Lock next round? He thinks Eli has 3 more years in him? Not to mention wasting the critical years for development to maximize winning in the rookie-deal window.

Warren Sharp added, Kimberley A. MartinVerified account @ByKimberleyA

Gettleman sees Daniel Jones as a potential franchise QB -- but also mentioned he could sit for three years. #giants

9:32 PM - 25 Apr 2019

Someone either dropped a basket full of scorpions on the table between @minakimes & @MGolicJR57 or Dave Gettleman just made a first round draft pick

Is it possible that swag shade directed at OBJ to carry favor with Gettleman?

----------------------------------------------

Warren Sharp‏Verified account @SharpFootball Warren Sharp Retweeted Kimberley A. Martin

It literally gets NO WORSE than this. Are they drafting Drew Lock next round? He thinks Eli has 3 more years in him? Not to mention wasting the critical years for development to maximize winning in the rookie-deal window.

Warren Sharp added, Kimberley A. MartinVerified account @ByKimberleyA

Gettleman sees Daniel Jones as a potential franchise QB -- but also mentioned he could sit for three years. #giants

9:32 PM - 25 Apr 2019
Love Warren Sharp 

I guess he was their guy, but I have to think he'd of been there at 17, right? They must've really not wanted Haskins if for some reason Wash took Jones.  Or somehow knew that either Wash or maybe Miami wanted Jones?

Omg when Gettleman was asked if they took a QB at 6 sit behind Eli for 3 years and why they didn’t draft help for Eli instead, Gettleman said who knows, I could die in a car accident tomorrow. Life is short.

Thats a comforting response. Everything sounds like he saw Jones in the Senior Bowl practice and immediately made his mind up that this was the pick.

Omg when Gettleman was asked if they took as a QB at 6 sit behind Eli for 3 years and why they didn’t draft help for Eli instead, Gettleman said who knows, I could die in a car accident tomorrow. Life is short.

Thats a comforting response. Everything sounds like he saw in the Senior Bowl practice and immediately made his mind up that this was the pick.
This is exhibiting downright contempt for the fan base.

I guess he was their guy, but I have to think he'd of been there at 17, right? They must've really not wanted Haskins if for some reason Wash took Jones.  Or somehow knew that either Wash or maybe Miami wanted Jones?
I think the argument is that if you think Jones is your best bet for a franchise QB, you don't get cute. 

I think the argument is that if you think Jones is your best bet for a franchise QB, you don't get cute. 
Except he's explicitly said that if you think Eli still has YEARS left as the starter, you don't get cute and you draft his backup using the 6th overall pick.

Of course he's also said that he didn't extend OBJ to turn around and trade him. So he has a tell. He's lying when his lips are moving.

Except he's explicitly said that if you think Eli still has YEARS left as the starter, you don't get cute and you draft his backup using the 6th overall pick.

Of course he's also said that he didn't extend OBJ to turn around and trade him. So he has a tell. He's lying when his lips are moving.
Yeah, I have no idea what he's doing, or why he keeps saying dumb stuff. Just saying that if you think you have a franchise QB on the board, you take him. 

I seriously doubt Eli lasts 3 more years. There is nothing about his play the last few seasons that makes me think he'll hold or get better. And now he doesn't have Beckham. 

This is interesting. I respect Brandt's opinion very much and comparisons to P Manning are exactly why I like him. His arm strength has me very concerned, but when you look at other QBs out there, I wonder if its overblown:

Daniel Jones: 54mph

Peyton Manning: 59mph

Mitch Trubisky: 55mph

Russell Wilson: 56mph

Deshaun Watson: 49mph

Carson Wentz: 57mph

Jimmy G: 56mph

Granted, Jones is second lowest on this list, but I dont recall anyone writing Trubisky off their boards due to arm strength. 

Jones could be a sneaky pick yet 
I remember reading that nobody below 50 MPH had ever been successful in the NFL.  I guess it is 49 now after Watson...

Providing some perspective on the top 5 ‘reaches’ of the 2019 First Round

Excerpt:

New York Giants – Daniel Jones, QB, Duke, No. 6 overall

While the Raiders’ pick was a shocker, due to terrific reporting by Yahoo.com’s Charles Robinson (among others), virtually everyone “knew” that the Giants were high on Daniel Jones. I just didn’t believe it, as I am not as high on Jones, ranking him 55th overall on my board. Now, Jones does possess four of the five traits I believe are most important at the quarterback position – accuracy, anticipation, athleticism and attitude. Based on tape and watching him in person at the Senior Bowl, however, I believe that he possesses below average arm strength. Perhaps that will improve as Eli Manning takes reps. Certainly, he is a better fit in Pat Shurmur’s offense than in others, as many of the passes he will be asked to make are going to be relatively short dump offs to Saquon Barkley, throws down the seam to Evan Engram and lobs over the top to speedster Sterling Shepard, where Jones’ accuracy and pillow-soft touch are prioritized. But, when the winds pick up in the winter in MetLife Stadium, defenses could tighten up and force him to throw through some awfully tight windows. I gave this pick a D.

Users who are viewing this thread