What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (3 Viewers)

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports the Broncos and Redskins would have drafted Daniel Jones before the Giants' pick at No. 17 had the G-Men not taken Jones at No. 6.

Braggadocious GM Dave Gettleman said he knew "for a fact" two other teams would have taken Jones had he not acted at No. 6. Vacchiano said he ascertained the teams via "NFL sources." It is a bit hard to believe considering how strongly the Redskins were connected to Dwayne Haskins. The Broncos also supposedly had Drew Lock rated as their No. 1 quarterback. Teams, of course, do all they can to shape narratives after the fact.

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

, Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Apr 27, 2019, 9:12 PM

More like Dave Gettelman took the smoke screen bait hook, line and sinker. 

Those teams were probably hoping they could dupe the Giants into taking Jones with fake interest so the players they really wanted would fall to them.

Braggadocious GM Dave Gettleman said he knew "for a fact" two other teams would have taken Jones had he not acted at No. 6. Vacchiano said he ascertained the teams via "NFL sources."
Well, that doesn't mean WAS wouldn't have taken Haskins if BOTH of them were available.

None of this really matters, though. All that matters is Jones playing better than Eli and the QB's drafted behind him(which isn't a great group to begin with). That's how Gettleman will be judged. 

More like Dave Gettelman took the smoke screen bait hook, line and sinker. 

Those teams were probably hoping they could dupe the Giants into taking Jones with fake interest so the players they really wanted would fall to them.
I really thought DG had a master plan of rolling with Eli and getting the first pick this season or next and reloading with Tua or Trevor.  Then he signs Tate and then this draft.   Not sure what his master plan is at this point.

I really thought DG had a master plan of rolling with Eli and getting the first pick this season or next and reloading with Tua or Trevor.  Then he signs Tate and then this draft.   Not sure what his master plan is at this point.
I think it's very possible that was his master plan before the full brunt of reaction to the OBJ trade came raining down on him. He could have realized if he trades OBJ and then has the worst record in the NFL.... he won't be around to make that pick even if it is #1 overall. Add to that the pressure of the Jets drafting Darnold just after Barkley and the fact they could push for a playoff spot with the addition of Bell and the seat for DG may be the hottest around the league.

In an odd way, the Tate/Jones moves seemed like moves made to appease the fans and may have enraged them even more. IMO Tate is going to have a bigger year than most people realize and will look better by the end of the year. I also have trouble taking all those people seriously who were pounding with, "He won't replace Eli! He won't replace Eli!" and are still angry when he does draft a guy to replace Eli. Sure, I would have rather had Rosen/Haskins but....

I think it's very possible that was his master plan before the full brunt of reaction to the OBJ trade came raining down on him. He could have realized if he trades OBJ and then has the worst record in the NFL.... he won't be around to make that pick even if it is #1 overall. Add to that the pressure of the Jets drafting Darnold just after Barkley and the fact they could push for a playoff spot with the addition of Bell and the seat for DG may be the hottest around the league.

In an odd way, the Tate/Jones moves seemed like moves made to appease the fans and may have enraged them even more. IMO Tate is going to have a bigger year than most people realize and will look better by the end of the year. I also have trouble taking all those people seriously who were pounding with, "He won't replace Eli! He won't replace Eli!" and are still angry when he does draft a guy to replace Eli. Sure, I would have rather had Rosen/Haskins but....
If that was his plan then I am sure he would have run it past the Mara's first and they would have signed off on it.   I initially thought it was genius to trade OBJ away and pay some of his salary severely hamstringing the team this season and making it almost inevitable to be the worst team in the league.  Now he just looks old and senile and not truly understanding value.

I am sure all of the drum beating and rage against DG would subside and turn into joy if they landed Tua 1 year from now.

I am sure all of the drum beating and rage against DG would subside and turn into joy if they landed Tua 1 year from now.
Maybe I'm mis-reading the NY media but I don't see the drumbeat subsiding if OBJ and Darnold are in the playoffs and the NYG have the worst record in the NFL while DG spends the entire season propping up his decision to stay the course with Eli. With Mayfield at QB there's even a chance OBJ could be in the running for MVP next year.

I stole this from ESPN but I believe it to be the reasoning behind the pick. The Giants picked the one Quarterback who current Giants fans won't demand to start over Eli. If they drafted Haskins, there would be pressure internally. Think of those two personalities coexisting in a lockerroom. They wouldn't.

Meanwhile, Daniel Jones is going to be happy to be Eli's backup for as long as possible. Eli Manning owns the Giants. He brought them 2 Superbowls. He will be allowed to be their Quarterback until he doesn't want to be anyone. The same way that Larry Fitzgerald will demand 100+ targets each season until he doesn't want them anymore. I think that Quarterbacks are very difficult for the average Joe to scout. I look forward to seeing him play in preseason.

Undraftable in Dynasty, unless you have deep rosters. This team is built around Barkley. All Daniel Jones needs to be is a good game manager with a runningback like that.

I stole this from ESPN but I believe it to be the reasoning behind the pick. The Giants picked the one Quarterback who current Giants fans won't demand to start over Eli. If they drafted Haskins, there would be pressure internally. Think of those two personalities coexisting in a lockerroom. They wouldn't.

Meanwhile, Daniel Jones is going to be happy to be Eli's backup for as long as possible. Eli Manning owns the Giants. He brought them 2 Superbowls. He will be allowed to be their Quarterback until he doesn't want to be anyone. The same way that Larry Fitzgerald will demand 100+ targets each season until he doesn't want them anymore. I think that Quarterbacks are very difficult for the average Joe to scout. I look forward to seeing him play in preseason.

Undraftable in Dynasty, unless you have deep rosters. This team is built around Barkley. All Daniel Jones needs to be is a good game manager with a runningback like that.
Since you stole that from ESPN I won't be insulting you when I say that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I'll see if I can outdo the dumbest thing ever.  The Giants picked Jones because the Mannings have influence over that franchise.  They played up the Cutcliff angle on Jones and sold Gettelman on him, maybe knowing that would buy Eli a few more years. 

It takes dumb things to explain dumb picks I guess? 

Last edited by a moderator:
He still hasn't been drafted in the superflex rookie draft heading into the 2nd round.  I'm not sure if that's really dumb or really smart... 

He still hasn't been drafted in the superflex rookie draft heading into the 2nd round.  I'm not sure if that's really dumb or really smart... 
I bet he comes at a discount in a lot of superflex leagues because of the controversy around his selection and his lack of any obviously intriguing traits. I'm not too high on him but he could come at a value given his draft pedigree.

Since you stole that from ESPN I won't be insulting you when I say that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
I never hear what espn has to say so I'm glad he posted it no matter who it's attributed to. 

I do agree that the team would feel more pressure to play Haskins than they will feel to play Jones. If I were an Eli owner in dynasty I would prefer they didn't draft anyone at all but if they were going to draft one of the top 3-4 QB's in the draft I'd be happy they drafted Jones. I can see a fan base getting excited about any of the other three(even Lock).

Gettleman didn't draft him to sit behind Eli or because Eli and the Mannings own the Giants.  Gettleman actually saw Jones play live for 3 series during the senior bowl.  LIVE FOR 3 SERIES!!  He knows things about Jones.

I bet he comes at a discount in a lot of superflex leagues because of the controversy around his selection and his lack of any obviously intriguing traits. I'm not too high on him but he could come at a value given his draft pedigree.
Absolutely.  Going behind Haskins is a discount with his draft capital.  I'm in a superflex in the early 2nd round and he's still on the board.  I don't know how I can pass him up in the 2nd if he falls to me. 

Well, that doesn't mean WAS wouldn't have taken Haskins if BOTH of them were available.

None of this really matters, though. All that matters is Jones playing better than Eli and the QB's drafted behind him(which isn't a great group to begin with). That's how Gettleman will be judged. 
Better than Eli for his career would make Jones a good pick. Better than Eli these last few years, not so much. 

If Jones isn't the franchise QB it was a terrible pick. 

I'm trying to be fair in evaluating his talent and have gone back to watch his tape ... but these analysis vids speak volumes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbfeNHA9Yvg

To this day I'm trying to figure out what he does better than Haskins.
🏳️ 

He seems like a decent kid, but Haskins has a much better chance of starting multiple years and actually winning something.

I think Jones is 75%+ likely to bust, but, sorry, that’s dumb.

Even if his upside is Andy Dalton - a replacement-level starter with an occasional top-10 season - that’s worth a top-6 rookie pick in all but the shallowest superflex leagues.

Better than Eli for his career would make Jones a good pick. Better than Eli these last few years, not so much. 

If Jones isn't the franchise QB it was a terrible pick. 
It may still be a terrible pick if all the QB's drafted after Murray end up being busts(and Rosen), but if he just took a swing at a QB in a terrible QB class he will probably be given more of a pass. He is the one that put himself in this situation but nonetheless he was in the position to reach for a QB. It's hard to know exactly what ARZ expected for Rosen BEFORE the draft started. We know what they ended up settling for but that was affected a great deal by NYG/WAS filling their QB needs in the 1st round. It's entirely possible the Jones pick was the domino that completely undercut the QB market and the crash landed right on ARZ as MIA was the team standing and there was only one chair when the music stopped.

At that price I still can't believe CIN wasn't interested in Rosen with Dalton in the last year of his deal. It's actually shocking to me.

I think he'll be alright, honestly.
I wasn't high on him going into the process, but I'm a little surprised at the level of sustained outrage. All this because people think he should go ten picks later? Kind of reminds me of the Ted Ginn draft where people had projected going a dozen picks lower in the first round and you would have thought the sky was falling. This wasn't an Al Davis pick out of nowhere. Can you imagine if Al was still making picks? The internet might crash.

And to your point about him being alright... I kind of agree. If I were the Jags and had to choose a QB in this draft that wouldn't lose me any games he might even be the safest prospect. Most teams need more than that, though. And that's why people were so shook up by the Jones pick. You don't use the #6 pick hoping for an "alright" QB. The fact there is still so much outrage creeping close to a week after the pick is pretty surprising.

I think Jones is 75%+ likely to bust, but, sorry, that’s dumb.

Even if his upside is Andy Dalton - a replacement-level starter with an occasional top-10 season - that’s worth a top-6 rookie pick in all but the shallowest superflex leagues.
Agreed.  Players at the QB position just have to be good enough to be on the field to be valuable.  As long as they are a starter their value is higher than most players at other positions. 

Jones' has a high floor but like very limited ceiling; he projects to be Ryan Tannehill. You don't draft Ryan Tannehill with the #6 pick with Josh Allen still available.

Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford were drafting to be peyton Manning's... How'd that turn out?

He won't be a star, likely. But i can see him being pretty serviceable overall. 

Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford were drafting to be peyton Manning's... How'd that turn out?

He won't be a star, likely. But i can see him being pretty serviceable overall. 
For Stafford, I'd bet better than Jones. (Yes he was taken higher) 

If you're looking for an Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Eli Manning level QB he has a fair chance of success though I'm still not betting on him achieving that. 

I'm not outraged by the pick really, but I'm taking Haskins all day over Jones at 6.  If anything that's the "outrage" - Haskins falling.

Haskins is a cinder block, imo. 

Not that jones is barry sanders, but i feel like his awareness is much better to at least toss the ball away

I most interested in Jones because of his affect on Giants players as opposed to him as an individual player. I think his ceiling would appear to be game manager. If he isn't good or is a game manager only, is that a good thing for Barkley / Engram or do they suffer because defenses will dare Jones to beat them elsewhere?

Practice Report: Rookie Minicamp Day 2

Excerpt:

Daniel Jones has more than enough juice to throw the deep ball, and get the ball on a straight line 15+ yards down the field with velocity to the sideline from the opposite hash mark. What I like about how Jones plays the position is ability to manage velocity. Despite the multitude of drops he dealt with at Duke (and some at camp on Friday), he puts excellent touch on the football and doesn’t zip it unless the throw demands it. Maintaining consistent accuracy will be a far larger component of his future success than arm strength, as Pat Shurmur discussed at his Saturday afternoon press conference.

Jones’ best throw in practice came on a bullet on a deep post to tryout receiver from Duquesne, Nehari Crawford. He beat Julian Love and Jones threaded the needle to him in stride for the big gain. I haven’t see Crawford, who is built like a slot receiver, drop a pass.

I wasn't high on him going into the process, but I'm a little surprised at the level of sustained outrage. All this because people think he should go ten picks later? Kind of reminds me of the Ted Ginn draft where people had projected going a dozen picks lower in the first round and you would have thought the sky was falling. This wasn't an Al Davis pick out of nowhere. Can you imagine if Al was still making picks? The internet might crash.

And to your point about him being alright... I kind of agree. If I were the Jags and had to choose a QB in this draft that wouldn't lose me any games he might even be the safest prospect. Most teams need more than that, though. And that's why people were so shook up by the Jones pick. You don't use the #6 pick hoping for an "alright" QB. The fact there is still so much outrage creeping close to a week after the pick is pretty surprising.
As a Giants fan my problem with them going with Jones is the GM believes that Eli can play a couple more season AND that the team has finished 30th and 29th in sacks the last 2 seasons. Josh Allen fell into their laps. I would be unhappy with any QB in this draft in that spot under those circumstances.

(Rotoworld) The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports "at least one team" asked Daniel Jones to work out as a tight end at the Combine because they "didnt think he was good enough to be a NFL starting quarterback."

Analysis: Even for high-end talents, it is not unheard of for teams to request a workout at a different position, but it is still eyebrow raising for a player who ultimately went No. 6 overall. Neither Jones' tape nor production screamed "consensus first-rounder." The Giants not only disagreed, they were so confident in their evaluation that they took Jones at No. 6 overall instead of gambling that he would fall to No. 17. Someone either the Giants or Jones' doubters is going to be looking silly in a few years time.

As a Giants fan my problem with them going with Jones is the GM believes that Eli can play a couple more season AND that the team has finished 30th and 29th in sacks the last 2 seasons. 
Who knows what he really thinks. This time last year he seemed to believe Davis Webb was the future, yet months later he was on the Jets practice squad. 

Users who are viewing this thread