What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now... (2 Viewers)

Who won back to back superbowl titles?  Are we talking about Foles or Brady (or Bradshaw)?       :confused:  
The exact quote was from last year’s Eagles thread, right while Foles was doing his magic again, I’ll paraphrase, but the quote was something along these lines:

Even if he leads them to another SB title, he won’t see close to $40mm guaranteed.

Being candid, it might’ve been one of the most absurd comments I’ve ever read on this board.

So Cecil’s report did come from inside the Eagles? 
I’m not saying you don’t know a lot about the Eagles, but you have argued with me for 15 pages about the guy and his value. 

It would be nice for you to admit that you might’ve misjudged what his value is. I’m happy to eat my crow if he signs a 2/30 type deal, I just don’t see that happening. 

We’re close to finding out what NFL GMs think of him, I’m confident I’ve been spot on from the beginning with my $40-$50mm guaranteed, we’ll see. 

ETA: & while a risky proposition for the Eagles, I think it’s a coin flip they franchise him looking for a 2nd or 3rd rounder over the comp pick. I’m sure they’re full go working it out right now. It’s very possible someone would love to have him on a 1 year trial for $25mm and pay a pick to do so.

Furthermore, I’m positive they’d love to guarantee he is out of the division.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not saying you don’t know a lot about the Eagles, but you have argued with me for 15 pages about the guy and his value. 

It would be nice for you to admit that you might’ve misjudged what his value is. I’m happy to eat my crow if he signs a 2/30 type deal, I just don’t see that happening. 

We’re close to finding out what NFL GMs think of him, I’m confident I’ve been spot on from the beginning with my $40-$50mm guaranteed, we’ll see. 
I haven’t argued with anyone here, ever, for 15 pages. 

You seem to have a lot on the line here and I could careless. You think this will be the first time I was wrong about a players contract or stats or an Eagles situation? 

Ive said what I think he’ll get and why but for some strange reason you continue to go on and on over it. What are you on like a couple month hard-on for me at this point? We’ll see what he gets and I won’t care for a single second what fantasycurse42 thinks whether I’m right or wrong. I mean JFC youre still on the “what if he wins back to back SB’s” like we’ll ever know how that would play out and THATS what your hanging your hat on at this point? Lol

Why would I admit I misjudged his value when he hasn’t even signed a deal yet? I’ve posted 2-3 links here and the general consensus was that we would pick up the option and he’d buy it out. I personally said they’d cut him to avoid anything getting messy. Howie obviously knew he’d buy it out to go start and now it’s pretty much a lock we end up with a 3rd round comp pick. I posted the article to show what would need to happen in order for us to tag him and you took the “snowballs chance in hell” line out that was directed in Cecil’s direction lol. Did you even make it to the 3rd paragraph? Lol. 

Like I told you in the Foles thread you created for me. I’m done with your trolling. We’ll see who was right and wrong and you can update your fantasy football message board standings accordingly. 

I’m confident I’ve been spot on from the beginning with my $40-$50mm guaranteed, we’ll see. 
And this may confuse you but I HOPE he gets more than what you say, more than I hope I’m right and get a win in your standings. I hope he ends up the highest paid in the league. 

In the most likely scenario in which Foles buys his way to free agency,he would count toward the compensatory pick formula. Assuming the Eagles don't sign pricey free agents of their own, thus offsetting the loss of Foles, they would be in line for a 2020 third-round comp pick for losing him.

Now, that we've gotten Foles' offseason scenarios out of the way, let's get back to Lammey's tweet, which mentions that the Eagles don't have enough space for a tag-and-trade scenario. At the present time, that's true. In fact, they don't have enough cap space to trade Foles in any way whatsoever, with their money allocation constructed as is.

Back in December, the NFL announced that the 2019 salary cap would be somewhere in the range of $187 million to $191.1 million. Using the $190 million projection that OverTheCap.com utilizes, the Eagles would be $15,450,726 over the cap if the new league year started today, and... 

Foles were on the books at the $20,600,000 cap number he would cost if the Eagles were to exercise his 2019 option...

...and he didn't buy his way out of it.

That fact makes a trade more difficult than it already is. Why? Well, Foles cannot be traded until the new league year begins. Unfortunately, that works against the Eagles. One of the NFL's asinine rules is that players who are traded the moment the calendar flips to the new league year still have to first fit under the their original team's salary cap before they can be dealt. In other words, the Eagles would have to find alternate ways not involving Foles to shave off the aforementioned $15,450,726 they are projected to be over the cap. That would require some heavy restructuring or termination of players' contracts, with the most likely candidates being Timmy Jernigan, Rodney McLeod, and Jason Peters.

In the event the Eagles slap the franchise tag on Foles, they would have to clear even more money. Foles' number on the cap would jump from $20,600,000 to something closer to $25,000,000, which would mean the Eagles would have to clear around $20 million in cap space through cuts and restructures to get under the cap, as opposed to the projected $15,450,726 noted above.

The franchise tag also comes with another major risk, as Foles could also just quickly sign the franchise tender, which would immediately be fully guaranteed, and the Eagles would be stuck with him for around $25 million in 2019. 

The bottom line: The Eagles would be crazy to use the franchise tag. This is not news.

I guess I don't have that competitive spirit. $20 million to be a backup? Little wear and tear on your body, basically no pressure and a salary in the neighborhood of Tom Brady? Yes, please. 

And this may confuse you but I HOPE he gets more than what you say, more than I hope I’m right and get a win in your standings. I hope he ends up the highest paid in the league. 

I haven’t argued with anyone here, ever, for 15 pages. 

You seem to have a lot on the line here and I could careless. You think this will be the first time I was wrong about a players contract or stats or an Eagles situation? 

Ive said what I think he’ll get and why but for some strange reason you continue to go on and on over it. What are you on like a couple month hard-on for me at this point? We’ll see what he gets and I won’t care for a single second what fantasycurse42 thinks whether I’m right or wrong. I mean JFC youre still on the “what if he wins back to back SB’s” like we’ll ever know how that would play out and THATS what your hanging your hat on at this point? Lol

Why would I admit I misjudged his value when he hasn’t even signed a deal yet? I’ve posted 2-3 links here and the general consensus was that we would pick up the option and he’d buy it out. I personally said they’d cut him to avoid anything getting messy. Howie obviously knew he’d buy it out to go start and now it’s pretty much a lock we end up with a 3rd round comp pick. I posted the article to show what would need to happen in order for us to tag him and you took the “snowballs chance in hell” line out that was directed in Cecil’s direction lol. Did you even make it to the 3rd paragraph? Lol. 

Like I told you in the Foles thread you created for me. I’m done with your trolling. We’ll see who was right and wrong and you can update your fantasy football message board standings accordingly. 
I'll never understand some people in here's absolute obsession with "being right". To the point where that matters more than what happens to the player they cheer for, or about actual discussion. It's okay to make a wrong call, but the complex some people have with acting like it's the worst thing ever to be "wrong" is crazy.  It makes nobody "less of a fan", to make an educated prediction that doesn't end up happening. Not sure what glory people like fantasycurse get in gloating but it seems to be hiding deeper issues.  We all want Foles to get paid and be happy man, just chill a little bit. 

I guess I don't have that competitive spirit. $20 million to be a backup? Little wear and tear on your body, basically no pressure and a salary in the neighborhood of Tom Brady? Yes, please. 
This was never an option. Howie either knew he'd buy it out or had a trade partner at 20 Mil. Zero chance we had a 20/yr backup qb once week 1 hit. 

I'll never understand some people in here's absolute obsession with "being right". To the point where that matters more than what happens to the player they cheer for, or about actual discussion. It's okay to make a wrong call, but the complex some people have with acting like it's the worst thing ever to be "wrong" is crazy.  It makes nobody "less of a fan", to make an educated prediction that doesn't end up happening. Not sure what glory people like fantasycurse get in gloating but it seems to be hiding deeper issues.  We all want Foles to get paid and be happy man, just chill a little bit. 
Fantasycurse lives and dies this stuff. It's his life. And if you disagree with him on something, he considers you the enemy. Very weird obsession.  at any rate, he was one of those guys saying that Foles is better than went and they should keep him.  So everything he posted from that point on was considered gibberish to me.  If you're going to come into the Eagles thread, have an ounce of knowledge about the team.  

It's really annoying and a big waste of time

It's really annoying and a big waste of time

So is Nick playing along or does this get contentious? Hope he gets paid and has a say in this if they do tag him. 

So is Nick playing along or does this get contentious? Hope he gets paid and has a say in this if they do tag him. 
He'll have to play along in some fashion.

Bottom line, if they have a trade agreement in place, they franchise and trade.  If not, they let him walk.

And a team won't do a trade agreement without an understanding from Foles that he's willing to sign a long term deal.

So - could go either way.  All just guessing at this point.

JuniorNB said:
But wouldn't we get a third anyway for letting him walk?
Yep.  But an actual 3rd would be better than a comp 3rd.  That being said, I doubt we'd trade him somewhere he doesn't want to go.  I'm happy with letting him pick his next place and getting that comp 3rd, or else franchise and trading him if jax or someone wants to do that.

I AM curious though on what the point of the 20 mil option and buy out was though IF they're planning to let him walk free.  Does that somehow change any compensatory situation for us in the slightest?

JuniorNB said:
But wouldn't we get a third anyway for letting him walk?
I've heard conflicting reports on that.  I'm pretty sure if WE hadn't picked up the option, we would not have.  A player exercised option is rare (and the comp formula is secret) so I don't think anyone knows for sure if it's treated as a cut player or an expiring contract.  I "think" if we're allowed to franchise him, then it would count to the comp pick.  Not 100% though.

I've heard conflicting reports on that.  I'm pretty sure if WE hadn't picked up the option, we would not have.  A player exercised option is rare (and the comp formula is secret) so I don't think anyone knows for sure if it's treated as a cut player or an expiring contract.  I "think" if we're allowed to franchise him, then it would count to the comp pick.  Not 100% though.
hmm... that would make sense why we'd pick up that option then.

I thought the way i understood it was.. 

If we didn't pick up the option and let him just walk into free agency, we would not have qualified for the Comp pick. This option makes Foles a 2019 FA for the Eagles, allowing the Comp pick to be gained for the 2020 draft.  This way, assuming we dont bring in more high profile FA than we let leave, we should now qualify for a 3rd round Comp pick no matter where he signs. If they didn't pick up the option, i believe he would have been free to sign with any team from now until 2019 FA starts and we would not receive a comp pick. 

The question now, do the eagles decide to use the Franchise Tag on foles. There is a slim chance of this, but if Howie can find a way, he will find it. The belief is that if they do this, they already have a trade partner in play and its believed they are looking for a 3rd round pick in this years draft (to hopefully replace what we gave up for Tate) instead of a Comp pick in 2020 that will be in between rounds 3 and 4.  

This is like the all time great mystery of this season. I’ll say this much here since the Gurley thread is a disaster—if he’s hurt then the Rams should be in MAJOR trouble with the league for not disclosing this for weeks and weeks. Or, mcvay thought they were better off in a time share which while I can concede that maybe Anderson has his uses as a hammer, how you don’t have Gurley helping Goff in the passing game is mind blowing. It would appear one of these scenarios is true and both are bad for different reasons.
McVay trying to pull a BB by not disclosing an injury and it backfired maybe? The patriots have been notorious for rs for keeping injuries a secrete though. 

Dude you should've come to the Phillies message board on MLB site I use to go on. I had like 5 posters on there who'd get in pissing matches over semantics of events just so they can say they were right. I thought it was a little obsessive then but I'm glad it just wasn't the one board. Seems to happen here a lot too. I think it's the whole "I want to brag how I know more then you do philosophy." I have a friend who's a similar way. Always has to be right in a sports debate. This dude would seriously argue with me how the 06 and 07 PSU teams (Because he went there and another one of the Blue and White Kool aid drinkers) would've beaten my Team 06 and 07 Florida Gators and how Ohio State would steam roll Florida. Even after Florida won back to back convincingly. This guy even told me how PSU would handle Alabama in 2010. Tide won 24-3 I believe. I can't even have a discussion on drafts or Bulls vs Sixers in a respectful manner with the dude because he's incredible ignorant. One of his biggest problems is he takes too much of sports talk radio as what he thinks majority of fans think. 

I thought Franchising Foles meant we got an X round pick of that team who signs him. Maybe the CBA changed the Franchise formula but I remember someone was franchised awhile back if another team signed him had to give up 3 first rounders for them or something crazy. I remember the there was rumors or media speculation Eagles wanted the player too. Again I could be wrong on formula or thinking of some other tag or its the old tag rules. 

Jimmy K with a nice list of possible targets for the Eagles of guys who could be cut casualties do to large caps 

I'm ok with Gerald McCoy, DeSean coming in on a small deal, Vic Beasley is intriguing outside of one great seasons it's been rough, Malik Jackson DT would be a solid rotation guy and McCoy or Jackson would easily replace Timmy J, Robert Quinn would be fun and didn't realize he's only 29 (Seems older) and funny if we let Long go we'd get a guy who he was once teammates with in STL same position. Devante Parker is young then DJ and may cost much less. Could be a change of scenery guy. Low risk high reward deep threat who's biggest issue is staying healthy. I want no part of Shady. I use to love the guy but after reading the stories of this guy and all he's complete and utter scum. There's also still that investigation going on if he had his ex targeted at that house or not. Better off going a different direction in FA. 

7 possible targets for Eagles from cut casualties

From the USA Today article other intriguing options is Marcela Darius depending on money. Big run Stopper would help our run D

Bal CB Jimmy Smith Joe Douglas Bal Bias

If Hicks goes do they take a chance on Sean Lee? Never was the biggest fan of this guy and he's just as bad staying healthy as Hicks has Been. More sense to just keep Hicks

Hou RB Lamar Miller is definitely intriguing. I've loved Miller since his days at Tenn. He's still only 27 too

Bigboy10182000 said:
I think that Wentz was just so amazing in 2017, that 'only' being the 7th best QB in the league in 2018 seemed very disappointing.  I think a lot of people judged Wentz on his horrible 3 interception game against the Saints. It was the only game all year that the Eagles just looked outclassed. Take away the worst game of his career, and he had a 21 touchdown/4 interception season. Playing at maybe 75% 

We can now stop talking Kareem Hunt now her if we want him or not. Just like many thought The Browns signed him today 

fred_1_15301 said:
It's cute that AB appears to think that he has any type of leverage in regards to where he will end up playing next year.  I hope he gets traded to an NFC team with the worst QB.  The whole situation is bizarre and I have no clue what has caused him to lose his mind.
He was always a bit off his rocker. It's weird all these Pittsburgh stud players come in as mid to low round picks, work up to be stars and then become divas. I feel like this has happened a lot. Plaxico, Santonio, Wallace, Antonio, Bell. What is going on over there? Does the team make it clear early on that they're not paying them long term big money and the players lose their minds trying to get to the door?

Putting the Eagles 2018 Super Bowl offensive performance in perspective:

Bill Belichick has coached 9 Super Bowls as head coach of the Patriots. In 7 of those games the Opponents scored less in than Super Bowl than their season scoring average. The two exceptions were the Panthers who scored 29 points in 2003 (their season average was just over 20 points per game) and the Eagles who scored 41 points (season average was 28). As far as yardage gained, again only 2 teams had offensive yardage that was more than 6% greater than their season average. The Panthers gained 387 yards which was 20% greater than their season average and the Eagles gained 538 yards which was 47% greater than their season average.

Keep in mind that the Eagles ranked 3rd in points and 7th in yards in the regular season, so the bar was fairly high for them to exceed it the way they did.

He was always a bit off his rocker. It's weird all these Pittsburgh stud players come in as mid to low round picks, work up to be stars and then become divas. I feel like this has happened a lot. Plaxico, Santonio, Wallace, Antonio, Bell. What is going on over there? Does the team make it clear early on that they're not paying them long term big money and the players lose their minds trying to get to the door?
I find it strange that Brown is trying to force a trade, but at the same time, showing teams exactly why they should think twice about obtaining him.

Not sure.  I’m sure the Steelers would have done whatever it took to have AB retire as a Steeler.  The other guys you listed had issues but were all replaceable.

DJackson10 said:
Bucs released Vinny Curry I wonder if we'll have interest in bringing him back 
Getting up there in age and was abysmal in TB. Only if after the draft he takes a very cheap one year deal. 

fred_1_15301 said:
It's cute that AB appears to think that he has any type of leverage in regards to where he will end up playing next year.  I hope he gets traded to an NFC team with the worst QB.  The whole situation is bizarre and I have no clue what has caused him to lose his mind.
You'd know more then us but Ryan Clarke was on ESPN right after week 17 concluded and AB missed the game and called him out big time. Basically said after he got his contract extension acted like his #### don't smell. Got into fights with players because he was upset the defenders touched him and didn't think he should be touched as he was the franchise now. After all of that he said it was all down hill. Steelers locker room you are an unselfish group and AB put himself over the team. Basically said Tomlin needed to make an example of guys like Bell and AB. Said Tomlin and CO did a good job not giving Bell the attention he was craving and that AB had to be cut or traded this off-season. Now I don't know if there was personal beef between Clarke/AB but the dude reamed him big time and called out Mike Tomlin to do the right thing

You'd know more then us but Ryan Clarke was on ESPN right after week 17 concluded and AB missed the game and called him out big time. Basically said after he got his contract extension acted like his #### don't smell. Got into fights with players because he was upset the defenders touched him and didn't think he should be touched as he was the franchise now. After all of that he said it was all down hill. Steelers locker room you are an unselfish group and AB put himself over the team. Basically said Tomlin needed to make an example of guys like Bell and AB. Said Tomlin and CO did a good job not giving Bell the attention he was craving and that AB had to be cut or traded this off-season. Now I don't know if there was personal beef between Clarke/AB but the dude reamed him big time and called out Mike Tomlin to do the right thing
There is a very interesting post by Godsbrother (probably the most knowledgeable Steelers fan on this site) in one of the Steelers related threads basically linking AB’s erratic behavior with the concussion from the Burfict hit. If true, that’s really sad.  The guy was not a diva at all for most of his career and all of a sudden turns into a nutcase?  At any rate, he’s not worth the trouble for you guys.  He’s become a cancer.

The guy was not a diva at all for most of his career and all of a sudden turns into a nutcase?
Isn’t there an ex-steeler who works for ESPN or NFLN? I can’t recall which station but I remember a story from them saying this was always there with AB. Paraphrasing but he said something like in Brown’s first or second year they were in the weight room and Brown was walking back and fourth calling himself the greatest, or something like that. The guy than turned to the trainer he was working with and said “the worst decision this team can ever make is giving that guy money”

**ETA**

Ex-Steelers star crushes Antonio Brown with 2012 story: 'give him money, you're going to create a monster'

Users who are viewing this thread