What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 Dolphins Thread *** That's a wrap...now what do we do with the #5 pick? (1 Viewer)

2 Pt Play

Shouldn't Miami have kicked the XP? I know occasionally teams will go for 2 points but Miami had momentum and closed it in the 4th down 17-3...Overtime wasn't an option?

I know they're 0-4 but how are you ever going to win a game making decisions like this at crucial times?

Go Bolts!
Are you sure they wanted to play the winning side of the percentages?

That was a no lose choice.

Make it and get a win - don't make it and maintain the #1 pick.  Neither is bad.

Side note is Tua the #1?

If the Fins take Herbert over Tua I will throw my shoe at the TV just like I did when they took Jamar Fletcher over Brees.

It will be that franchise ruining of a decision.  Herbert just doesn't have it.
Your opinion. And nothing will ever top Fletcher over Brees. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a no lose choice.

Make it and get a win - don't make it and maintain the #1 pick.  Neither is bad.

Side note is Tua the #1?
The owner is enamored with him, owner makes final decisions whether we like it or not as Phins Fans, everything he touches turns to mush in the NFL.

Herbert will be the better NFL QB - not sure either of them is worth the #1 overall, but we all know the overvaluation of QB's in the draft.

Herbert will be the better NFL QB - not sure either of them is worth the #1 overall, but we all know the overvaluation of QB's in the draft.
What do you think is wrong with Tua's game that would keep him from being worth the 1?

To be clear, I am not asking this in a confrontational way - I dont watch a lot of college ball so I am interested in takes from those who do. 

Xavien Howard..Inactive

Reshad Jones...Inactive

TE Knox from Buffalo Super Sleeper to score today. 

Buffalo D/ST should be a huge advantage for any owners trotting them out today. 

It also shows that Miami will de-activate any player they think could potentially turn in a game changer and Howard/Jones are good DBs capable of an interception return TD and thus you gotta keep them off the field if you are Miami and trying to go 0-16/1-15

That week 16 game vs Cinci is shaping up to be our most important game in the past 2 decades.  I am flying in to Miami, paying $3 for a ticket, and enjoying the Tua Bowl live and in person.  Not kidding.  

There are rumors that Tua does not want to play in Miami. He may start tanking for Tua himself to avoid top pick.

There are rumors that Tua does not want to play in Miami. He may start tanking for Tua himself to avoid top pick.
Nonsense, the Phins are not sexie at the moment but Miami and South Florida...if you're gonna be in the top 1-2% of income earners and live the life down here, very alluring for many. 

The fins are gonna win a game this year... it’s inevitable. I just hope when they eventually win it’s against an AFCE team. 

A Jets fans told me after last week ends game that the Dolphins were gonna beat the Jets next week.... seeing Darnold implode the last two weeks, I’m not sure he’s wrong. 

A Jets fans told me after last week ends game that the Dolphins were gonna beat the Jets next week.... seeing Darnold implode the last two weeks, I’m not sure he’s wrong. 
Neither team has a pass rush. Both QBs, Fitzpatrick and  even Darnold, could exceed expectations. The Jets have a better run game, so I'd bet on them to win.

It appears that Miami is catching some actual push back by National Media who up to this point have been pretty slow to catch on and didn't want to believe Miami was openly tanking. And let's be honest, these folks get paid to cover the NFL and would prefer to cover it mostly in a positive light, it's not good to act like a team is rigging the games to lose. 

-Will Miami actually get in trouble for not just gutting the team but openly throwing games? 

-Last night, Miami was winning 14-3 late in the 1st half, back up rookie QB or 2nd year for Pittsburgh and they bring an all out blitz, drop 3 in coverage on a 3rd and 20! Miami had a chance to easily hold and force a punt going into the half 14-3 and Rudolph had no confidence to that point. We got to keep it real and while I was OK with Miami jettisoning all their players in basically a few months to get the gutting over with quickly. They will spend money in the off season and this team will be a lot better as early as next year. I don't expect Miami to be picking #1 in B2B years, not a chance IMHO. 

All that said, this is a bad look and you do have to question what the coach was thinking. If this is how they really coach, we might be in real trouble. On the other hand, I have been a supporter of Flores in general and can feel the "Patriots Way" being implemented even though it doesn't show in the Wins column just yet. They have gotten rid of everyone that questioned anything the front office was doing. If Bellichick were here doing this nobody would say a word. Worst case scenario the team will be loaded with young talent and in need of an offensive mind in the 2-3 years. I just hope they don't totally blow the picks or they will be right back where they started. And I don't think they will ever be allowed to do it this way again or any other NFL team for that matter going forward. 

This tanking game plan has been in place for some time now, it's silly to not think it will be carried thru 100% at this point. 

That showdown with Cincinnati is going to be something. 

-Will Miami actually get in trouble for not just gutting the team but openly throwing games?
Don't know if they can get in trouble officially, but fans should be protesting in a major way. Are they actually charging people to attend these bogus games? Season ticket holders should be completely outraged.

Personally I hate to see it. Every player on that team should be seeking a trade. They are being asked to put themselves in harm's way on a weekly basis for the right to draft a minor-league prospect with ankle problems?

There are no guarantees on franchise QBs working out and most organizations, especially perennial losers for multiple decades, blow it anyway. How many franchise QBs have the Browns and Redskins burned through since the 90s?

-Last night, Miami was winning 14-3 late in the 1st half, back up rookie QB or 2nd year for Pittsburgh and they bring an all out blitz, drop 3 in coverage on a 3rd and 20!
that can be easily explained as he wasn't responding to blitzes very well and they were trying to keep them out of field goal range.  which I can't argue with.  

Every player on that team should be seeking a trade. They are being asked to put themselves in harm's way on a weekly basis
of the 22 guys in the "starting unit" most of them wouldn't be getting playing time if on any other team .  These guys are able to use the playing time to prove themselves... which was said as much in the broadcast.     No most won't be there next year or there after... some will, some cuts will catch on elsewhere based on their tape and the rest will drive for uber.   

The blitz on that 3rd and 20 wasn't as bad as Booger was making it out to be.  The real problem with the play is that they were way too far off in coverage.  On that play you need to be off, but close enough that you tackle the guy as he makes the catch.  Then he gets 6 yards and they punt.  He shouldn't have had that much space that it was like he was fielding a kickoff after he caught it.

The blitz on that 3rd and 20 wasn't as bad as Booger was making it out to be.  The real problem with the play is that they were way too far off in coverage.  On that play you need to be off, but close enough that you tackle the guy as he makes the catch.  Then he gets 6 yards and they punt.  He shouldn't have had that much space that it was like he was fielding a kickoff after he caught it.
Watch the replay... X isn't moving very well.  perhaps after he tweaked his knee again.   the game really turned when he went out.

https://www.nfl.com/share/32052020-2020-4d43-502d-343734303536

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 10m10 minutes ago

More

Trade: Rams are trading CB Aqib Talib AND a fifth-round pick to Miami for a future pick, per source.

CKParrot on twitter. 

As others noted this is Chris Grier buying a 5th round pick for $4 million. Aqib Talib is 33 years old, on the last year of his contract, and went on IR w/ broken ribs 2 weeks ago. Grier tried to secure a higher pick with Kenyan Drake and had to settle for a conditional 6th.

There’s a slight kicker attached to this. As @flasportsbuzz noted, Talib is eligible to play again Week 15 and both Flores & Boyer have coached Talib before (2012-13). There could conceivably be an attempt to evaluate & potentially recruit Talib for 2020, his free agent year

CKParrot on twitter. 

As others noted this is Chris Grier buying a 5th round pick for $4 million. Aqib Talib is 33 years old, on the last year of his contract, and went on IR w/ broken ribs 2 weeks ago. Grier tried to secure a higher pick with Kenyan Drake and had to settle for a conditional 6th.

There’s a slight kicker attached to this. As @flasportsbuzz noted, Talib is eligible to play again Week 15 and both Flores & Boyer have coached Talib before (2012-13). There could conceivably be an attempt to evaluate & potentially recruit Talib for 2020, his free agent year
At least Miami is thinking. 

They are currently picking 1-12-22-33-62-65-94-100 plus another 6-7 in the 4th thru 7th round...Miami is banking they will snare 8-10 Starters from this bunch or at least 5-6 with the rest immediate reserves ready to compete. With the $125 Million they have to spend in the off season it seems reasonable they can be better at 2/3 of the current positions they stink at. The rest will come in 2021 and then they should be loaded with young talent. That's the plan. Plenty of cap room to maneuver. 

Matt Infante‏ More

Bengals bench their struggling veteran QB in favor of their rookie QB they drafted in the 4th round of 2019.

The Dolphins put their best player, Xavien Howard, on IR though he does not have "an ACL or MCL" injury - but rather to "be cautious."

This is a next-level tank-off.

As much as I feel like winning a game is a loss at this point given the other teams also tanking getting a win over Gase and hearing the Jets fans complain about how he is destroying Darnold sort of makes it ok.  Now time for Fitzmagic to have an "injury" and put Rosen back in to finish of the tank.

With Walton gone for the next 4, and while Ballage has looked better as of late, I’m really interested in seeing what Laird and Gaskins can do.  laird seemed like he had good vision in the preseason. 

with Preston Williams done Ford could get elevated and Gesicki may be more relevant. 

I wonder if they'll bring up Ford or bring back Cordrea Tankersley off IR.  I kinda hope they bring up Tankersley to see what's there... but the signing of Sherels to be both a CB and PR could end up blocking that.   

As a dolphin fan and someone who needs a spot starter at RB this week (Ballage is rostered but he's no bueno), I have no idea who splits with him in the backfield.  Laird has been doing the ST work but Gaskin is the draft pick.  Anyone have any thoughts here?  

Indy -10 this week in their Dome, free $$$ when you remember the point spreads were around 15-20 before Miami managed to impersonate an actual NFL team vs Skins and Jets, that's no way to judge Miami who traded their top RB, lost their new top RB for 4 games and lost one of their 2 best WRs o an ACL in a matter of less than a week...

Indy 38...Miami 13

Fitz will throw several interceptions and be relieved by Rosen in the late 3rd/4th. 

So I guess the plan now is to start winning the rest of the year?

This is starting to look like the Jets game last week. 

Miami can't even tank the right way. 

Break this team up!

I really don’t care if we win a couple of more games. There are several QB's we can go with in this upcoming draft. Burrows, Herbert, Tua. 

Tua is not the end all like some people think. 

It is encouraging to see that this team is busting their ### for Coach Flores. The new culture is taking shape. This has a shot to build into something really good. I have not thought like that in over 20 years as a die hard Dolphins fan.

I’m not sure which of you ventured into the Steelers thread several weeks ago thank us for the first rounder but just wanted to say thanks for Minkah. Worth it.

I’m not sure which of you ventured into the Steelers thread several weeks ago thank us for the first rounder but just wanted to say thanks for Minkah. Worth it.
Will end up being a win-win hopefully. He didn’t want to be here and pouted his way out. They got what they could and are set up well for the future. That was also an awful call, but enjoy the TD. 

Users who are viewing this thread