What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 Dolphins Thread *** That's a wrap...now what do we do with the #5 pick? (1 Viewer)

My takeaways on the season.

Positive:

• Flo seems like the real deal. Guys played for him despite the chaos going on around them and he got the most out of a rag tag group.Final judgement will be once he has a real team and in high pressure games but it looks hopeful.
  • WR's, Parker and Williams both had good seasons (other then the Williams injury), if they both play that way next year we will have a good base of WR's.
  • Gesicki, last half of the year started to look like what we expected.
  • Fitzmagic, played better then expected after he came back and thankfully not like that all year or we may have been a 7-9 or 8-8 team.
  • I think Brady is finally done and with it this division seems winnable again. Bills might be the favorite next year and while their D is good the offense is still a question, Patriots will compete but that offense is a wreck, Jets well as long as they have Gase and Darnold I'm not scarred. 
Negative:

• Rosen, was hoping we would get lucky and see what made him a first round pick and be set at QB. He looked lost and a backup at best. Price was cheap so don't disagree with the deal but still need the long term QB solution.
  • Why couldn't two different coaching staffs figure out a way to get that play out of Minkah? 
Questions I need answered:

• What is Tua's true health? If it looks like he will recover fully I'd love to get him at the 5 and redshirt him a year behind Fitz. Give me the best OL and DE available with the other two first round picks. If he isn't healthy you can't reach for QB at the 5 spot, take the best player available. Problem is some improvement ad we could be in 7-9 purgatory next year.
  • Myles Gaskin, why given all the RB injuries did we not see more of him ? I saw him as a Brian Westbrook/Duece Staley type player coming into the season and they barely used him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst thing Dolphins can do is reach for Tua at five. Still a ton of holes, maybe they can trade pick if there is no one to their liking. Or if they love burrows try to trade to one.

Xavien Howard has been arrested in a domestic dispute over a purse?!

I don't want to say too much until we have all the facts but if the police arrested him, he had to do something, either she had visible wounds, scars, scratches, etc...they don't just arrest you because the woman says "I'm scared"

He signed a $75 Million extension this season including $46Million in guaranteed money...what say you all? 

I would cut him and eat it over the next couple seasons since they have boatloads of money to burn, send a definitive message that this type of nonsense will not be tolerated nobody who you are! They won 5 whole games this year without him for most of those wins, he's not as important as the $75 Million says he is. 

Good Bye Mr Howard and thank you for your 1st few seasons here. 

Worst thing Dolphins can do is reach for Tua at five. Still a ton of holes, maybe they can trade pick if there is no one to their liking. Or if they love burrows try to trade to one.
If they loved Burrow, they should have traded Fitzmagic before they did all this winning. 

I guess the Dolphins weren't tanking this year after all. Beating the Patriots at home as the last of their 5 wins --- not bad at all considering how they started.

If they loved Burrow, they should have traded Fitzmagic before they did all this winning. 
Agreed, the cost to move up to #1 would be too much. I'm guessing at least the #5 and #18 this year and our #1 next year. God forbid you do that and next year is a disaster and you end up with the #1 and you just gave away Lawrence and two first rounders for Burrows.

Xavien Howard has been arrested in a domestic dispute over a purse?!

I don't want to say too much until we have all the facts but if the police arrested him, he had to do something, either she had visible wounds, scars, scratches, etc...they don't just arrest you because the woman says "I'm scared"

He signed a $75 Million extension this season including $46Million in guaranteed money...what say you all? 

I would cut him and eat it over the next couple seasons since they have boatloads of money to burn, send a definitive message that this type of nonsense will not be tolerated nobody who you are! They won 5 whole games this year without him for most of those wins, he's not as important as the $75 Million says he is. 

Good Bye Mr Howard and thank you for your 1st few seasons here. 
Just can't get a break (Phins not Howard). Need to let it play out a little more but I wouldn't be against cutting him, is there any sort of conduct code in contracts that they can get any guaranteed money back ? It would be a ton to swallow but would set the tone and now is the time you can afford it with no high priced QB. Of course that would make the Minkah deal really look bad. Trade the 18th pick and one of the extra later picks for a first rounder next year when a player falls and start stock piling picks to move up for Lawrence next year if you don't feel Tua is healthy and would be a reach.

pair of tweets from Mike Clay

Whoa - Chan Gailey is back. The last time we saw him, he was super heavy on 4 WR sets. When passing during 2015-16 as the Jets OC:

2015:
3+ WR sets: 89%
4+ WR sets: 51%

2016:
3+ WR sets: 86%
4+ WR sets: 46%

Ryan Fitzpatrick was Gailey's QB during both seasons:

30 games
563 completions
965 attempts
6615 pass yards
43 Pass TD
32 INT
400 rush yards
2 rush TDs

Chan Gailey as the new OC? He was retired so this must’ve been in the works for a while.
Ugg...seems like a bad hire to me. I mean the team was good despite the offense when he was here last and he has never really coached a prolific passing attack and we have no running game. PFN was reporting last night that maybe it was to try and keep Jerry Schuplinski (QB Coach) from getting poached if McDaniels gets a head coach gig somewhere since he was supposed to go with him to Inday a few years ago.

This Gailey hire is a true head scratcher for me. I’m assuming it is blessed by Flo? If so, I’ll wait and see what happens. 

pair of tweets from Mike Clay

Whoa - Chan Gailey is back. The last time we saw him, he was super heavy on 4 WR sets. When passing during 2015-16 as the Jets OC:

2015:
3+ WR sets: 89%
4+ WR sets: 51%

2016:
3+ WR sets: 86%
4+ WR sets: 46%

Ryan Fitzpatrick was Gailey's QB during both seasons:

30 games
563 completions
965 attempts
6615 pass yards
43 Pass TD
32 INT
400 rush yards
2 rush TDs
And yet they still ranked 13th (2015) and 27th (2016) in passing yards those two years while being 10th and 11th in rushing.

Chan Gailey as the new OC? He was retired so this must’ve been in the works for a while.

Ugg...seems like a bad hire to me. I mean the team was good despite the offense when he was here last and he has never really coached a prolific passing attack and we have no running game. PFN was reporting last night that maybe it was to try and keep Jerry Schuplinski (QB Coach) from getting poached if McDaniels gets a head coach gig somewhere since he was supposed to go with him to Inday a few years ago.

This Gailey hire is a true head scratcher for me. I’m assuming it is blessed by Flo? If so, I’ll wait and see what happens. 
Good questions, I too was scratching my head until...you see how Gailey and Fitz have a history together. I have several theories or reasons on why they did this.

-1st, look at Rivera being hired in DC, next Jack Del Rio is the DC, that is some serious WEIGHT being brought in to shape that team into a winner, complete culture change happening there. And with so many young OC/DC flaming out quickly as head coaches, it would seem the smarter minds in the NFL are putting a supreme value on experience...remember D.LaBeau was coaching strong deep into his 70s...the game never really passed him by. Flores already was set to bring Jim Caldwell in here and it's very obvious that Flores isn't looking to align himself with the flavor of the month. I trust Flores enough to give him whatever range he needs to shake up his staff. O'Shea might be solid but maybe that was the best Flores could muster at the time and was always looking ahead. I also think Fitzpatrick showing that it's going to take a REAL FRANCHISE QB to get him out of here has upped the ante a little bit. Flores has no interest in tanking over 3 years, collecting his final 2 years and going back to being a coordinator. I think Flores has a chance to do something we haven't seen down in here in a long long time and that's having the respect of the fans, media, front office and ownership...I would say so far he is passing with flying colors. And it's not just the 5 wins, he has been setting a new culture there and it's just beginning, long way to go. 

-2nd, Fitz is a veteran QB and while you put a new playbook in front of him and he's seen a lot...he can adjust and learn on the fly, except he already knows Gailey so I imagine the two of them are going to run a similar offense with a few wrinkles. Fitz had an outstanding 1st season with the Jets and had many talking hm up for a big pay day but the market felt different. I'm not sure Fitz would be worth more than he is to anyone but the Miami Dolphins who have been so thirsty for a reliable QB it was painful...except the guy we traded is marching in to Foxboro this weekend to behead the Patriots...does anyone know his record when he visits Foxboro because I seem to remember a lot of 28-0 type scores in December up there...this feels different and I am pulling for him but it's a hard pill to swallow watching him succeed and make it look this easy. 

3rd, Peace of Mind for Flores. He won't have to look over Gailey's shoulder and it will allow him to focus on the defense which I think has some rather good looking pieces surprisingly and some obvious needs and holes. Miami could bring in 5 new starters on the OL and I would contend that outside of the rookie we drafted from Clemson, all the DL can be shuffled out of here if need be. The Lines on both sides need a lot of work. As much fun as it was beating the Patriots, Brady is a statue and he still had all day to throw the football. We must get a pass rush if we're ver going to get better. Wake was in decline for years but we could never replace him. Harris has been a bust despite the nice sack this past weekend. Gailey will run the entire offense and will be able to tell Flores exactly what they need. I think a stud RB to help whoever is the QB should be a Priority, you can't have Fitz leading the team in rushing, that just won't cut it. 

I'm not thrilled with the hire but I tried to think like Flores might be thinking and that's some of my thoughts, trying not to be a fanboy about it but I'm OK with it. I think Gailey will be a good influence on the other coaches as well. The fact a 67 year old semi-retired ex-Head Coach will take Flores phone call and jump into action should speak volumes about Flores and what others in the NFL are thinking about him right now. I bet Flores actually reads books, you know with an actual binder and pages, this guy is old school at heart and I kind of love it. I liked when he ran Kenny Stills out of here, wish we could have kept Minkah but you can't win them all and we still have #18 pick to go with #5 and what might be #25 in the 1st round. Maybe we can roll one or two of those into next year. Maybe it takes many 1st round stock pile to move up and get Lawrence, that really should be the plan now, he is a generational talent and we should do everything under the sun to get him.   

Good analysis MoP.  If Fitzpatrick plays in 2020 like he did this year, our draft pick won't be high enough to get Lawrence in 2021. Trading one of our later first round picks or our high 2nd round pick from this year into a 2021 first is a gamble for Lawrence but this years draft is supposedly good at the top.  If we pick Tua this yeat at #5, I'd try to get a good o- lineman or 2, a top RB, and the rest on defense. 

I think if Tua declares Monday that is an indication that he got enough insurance from teams that someone is taking him in the top 10 (Dolphins, Chargers, Panthers, Jags).

I think if Tua declares Monday that is an indication that he got enough insurance from teams that someone is taking him in the top 10 (Dolphins, Chargers, Panthers, Jags).
The Colts have the draft capital to be a good trading partner for them to move up to get Tua.  I'm not sure what Ballard's feelings are about Brissett and he may have his eye on another QB that can be had at #34 instead of #13, but if he's in love with Tua he may try and make a move with the Dolphins.  I hope the Colts don't draft Herbert at #13 if he falls to them.  They would be better served taking a top WR at #13 in that scenario.

So many so down on Herbert. 

I am not. He has Josh Allen legs but far better accuracy. He needs a year with a clipboard behind a veteran (Fitzmagic) and learn to play under center.

Herbert is our guy at #5.

Big, strong, athletic and highly intelligent. I understand he has not played in a pro style offense.....but he has all goods physically and seems he has it all together mentally (stable, smart and can put a team on his shoulders when needed). They had a hard time running the ball last night so the passion game suffered. Herbert rushed for 3 TD’s including a game winning 30 yard jaunt.

Draft that kid at #5 and start putting all the pieces around him. We need to draft blue chip talent. Not reach like we did with Tannehill or Henne. 

Let’s go. Don’t **** around and take this kid. I am not a Tua fan at all. Let someone else bite on that.

I am not. He has Josh Allen legs but far better accuracy. He needs a year with a clipboard behind a veteran (Fitzmagic) and learn to play under center.

Big, strong, athletic and highly intelligent. I understand he has not played in a pro style offense.....but he has all goods physically and seems he has it all together mentally (stable, smart and can put a team on his shoulders when needed). They had a hard time running the ball last night so the passion game suffered. Herbert rushed for 3 TD’s including a game winning 30 yard jaunt.

Draft that kid at #5 and start putting all the pieces around him. We need to draft blue chip talent. Not reach like we did with Tannehill or Henne. 

Let’s go. Don’t **** around and take this kid. I am not a Tua fan at all. Let someone else bite on that.
Accuracy has been an issue at times for Herbert.  I know he's 66% this year, but he was in the 50s last year and has shown to miss when he shouldn't.

Ugh do we really want another Josh Allen?  I know the Bills are in the playoffs but that seems to be largely due to the defense (3rd in defense, 26th in passing offense, 23rd in offensive scoring).

Also I'm not sure where the Josh Allen legs statement is coming from other than this one game in the Rose Bowl where he ran for more yards than he had all season.  Herbert had 50 yards rushing this season.  Josh Allen had 537 his last year in college.

Ugh do we really want another Josh Allen?  I know the Bills are in the playoffs but that seems to be largely due to the defense (3rd in defense, 26th in passing offense, 23rd in offensive scoring).

Also I'm not sure where the Josh Allen legs statement is coming from other than this one game in the Rose Bowl where he ran for more yards than he had all season.  Herbert had 50 yards rushing this season.  Josh Allen had 537 his last year in college.
Herbert has been said to have great mobility and legs and he rarely shows it in that offense. Well it was on display in the Rose Bowl. He looked great running. He has speed and strength. He is a well built athlete. Has a cannon of an arm. I like all his measurable's. The unknown with these guys is the mental part of the game. It is hard for someone like me to assess that watching games. We do not know his temperament, how he communicates and interacts, deals with pressure etc. There are so many factors that go into scouting other than game film. What I can see is physically he has everything you want. And mentally we know he is extremely bright as he won the academic Heisman with a 4.0 GPA all through his tenure at Oregon.

The Josh Allen comment? If you can't see that this kid is developing into a legit NFL QB....come on. He is not the greatest thing since sliced bread but his trajectory is on the way up IMO. He is a leader and a winner. His 2nd season was vastly better in terms of leading this team then his rookie season. I like his game. He is a rising star IMO.

I pounded the table when the Dolphins had a shot to draft Lamar Jackson, but I knew they wouldn't. Because they simply don't scout well. That is my huge concern. This front office and Grier in particular have been pretty poor in assessing talent and wasting picks year after year. Yeah we have hit on a few....but far too many whiffs.

I am praying we hit on all these picks. Otherwise we are toast.

I'm in camp Draft Tua.  
Agree, unless there is a huge medical red flag I think you have to take a shot. Does it always work, no but it cost us a decade missing out on Brees. Ask the sixers if Embid was worth the risk. If you don't and you take BPA (not named Tua) with the 3 first round picks you will not be in position to take this type of talent in the next half dozen years if Flo's coaching was for real this year so take your shot.

I'm in the draft Tua camp as well, but I don't think he lasts to five. So they need to decide if they are willing to invest a bit more to get him. I could easily see Tua go as high as 2. Washington needs everything. I think they would forego Chase if some QB-needy team came calling. Same goes for Detroit at 3 and NYG at 4. I feel like all three would be willing to move down for the right price.

I clipped this from the Miami Herald back in September, after Miami got pummeled 59-10 to Baltimore...

Armando Salguero

One last thing about the Baltimore Ravens game that could leave an enduring mark on owner Stephen Ross and could determine how the team handles its rebuild beginning in 2020:

You will recall the 2018 draft. It was one in which the Dolphins’ personnel department fell in love with then Alabama defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick. And when Fitzpatrick was available to Miami when it was slotted to make a selection with the No. 11 overall pick, general manager Chris Grier didn’t hesitate to put in the pick for his, and indeed, everyone’s guy. Except Fitzpatrick was not Ross’ guy.

Ross stopped the proceedings and suggested trading down. Ross confirmed to me that he wanted his people to think more strategically. He wanted them to consider multiplying the team’s pick by trading down for extra picks. Ross wanted the Dolphins to consider more outside-the-box strategies and possibilities before merely turning in the Fitzpatrick selection.

And later I reported that Grier, running his third Dolphins draft as general manager, worked to talk Ross off his position. I was told by a league source Grier even told Ross he was picking Fitzpatrick and if the owner wanted to fire him, then he could fire him. 🤔

So the Dolphins got Fitzpatrick.

But multiple other professional media outlets have since reported one of the things Ross also wanted Grier to do after making his trade-down was consider picking Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson.  :jawdrop:

Uh-oh.

I have never confirmed if this reporting as accurate, but if it is accurate, it’s now very bad news for Grier. That would mean on Sunday, the player Ross wanted completed 85 percent of his passes for 324 yards and five TD passes. And he did it against the Miami Dolphins not for the Miami Dolphins. And Fitzpatrick, like most of Miami’s players, didn’t play well.

So what you potentially have is the player the owner wanted, a quarterback no less, playing well while the player the general manager got struggled.How, one wonders, would this make Steve Ross feel as he sits in his luxury suite watching his team get pummeled 59-10?

I sometimes talk with former Dolphins people. Coaches. Players. Personnel people. We cry on each other’s shoulders a lot. And I asked a couple about Ross. Is he the kind of guy who would let an obvious mistake like that go seemingly unnoticed? Or would he say something?

And I’m told Ross would routinely say what was on his mind about different decisions within the organization — especially if he was right and others were wrong. And, guess what, he has a perfect right to do that.

That $1.1 billion he spent on the team in 2009 gives him that right. So in this case — if the reporting of other media is correct — Ross had a better grasp of what his team needed and should have done in the draft than his current general manager. And he had it figured out better than his entire personnel department, actually, most of whom remain employed by the Dolphins.

This would not be a good look for Grier. And here’s the lasting effect: How can Ross, seeing his guy ballin’ when he was told by his experts their guy was better, keep a high confidence that he has the right people steering the franchise into the future? Could this cause Ross to wonder if the general manager he tapped to run the entire organization and find a quarterback in 2020 be the right guy? I don’t know the answer to these questions.

Ross was herded through the bowels of Hard Rock Stadium after Sunday’s game and into the Dolphins locker room while reporters were held by back by security. Then when reporters were allowed in the locker room, Ross was herded out a side door so as to avoid running into anyone like me. The Dolphins have not allowed Ross to speak with reporters since training camp opened, and I expect they will continue to try to keep it that way. But I’m not ready to dismiss these questions because they matter.

This also matters: Grier is expected to lead the decision to find Miami’s quarterback in 2020. I think we understand already the dry run to find that guy in 2019, which Grier also led, isn’t going too well right now. Josh Rosen, you see, came to the Dolphins in trade because Grier thought Rosen might develop into the guy. Except he hasn’t been that. He’s a developmental quarterback at this point. Rosen, in his second NFL season, has not been good enough to beat out a career journeyman so far.

And behind the offensive line the Dolphins are fielding this year, the idea of trading for Rosen seems misguided now because there’s no way he can succeed even if he did earn playing time. That cannot be the vision Grier had for Rosen when he gave up a second- and fifth-round pick for him last April.

So again, the man slated to lead the search for a franchise quarterback in 2020 looks like he probably should have listened to Ross and taken Jackson in the 2018 draft. And looks like he probably should have kept those No. 2 and No. 5 picks instead of trading for Rosen in the 2019 draft. Grier better hope Ross is not keeping score.

Just a reminder...

-Tannehill and Matt Moore served as the Miami Dolphins QBs from 2012-2017 and both will be playing in the AFC Championship this weekend in Kansas City. Both started games for their teams in 2019 and Tannehill will start for the Titans this Sunday after being traded away to Tennessee for a 4th Round pick in 2020 essentially. Not sure we even have that pick any more. 

Yep.  That hit by Calais Campbell that tore RT's ACL in week 14 and his subsequent decision to use crystals and essential oils to heal instead of surgery changed the franchise's direction...  ironically that year, 2016, was the last year they had a better than average OL.  

However, no use talking about what ifs... Gase and his poor personnel decisions are the jets problem now.  

Ministry of Pain said:
Just a reminder...

-Tannehill and Matt Moore served as the Miami Dolphins QBs from 2012-2017 and both will be playing in the AFC Championship this weekend in Kansas City. Both started games for their teams in 2019 and Tannehill will start for the Titans this Sunday after being traded away to Tennessee for a 4th Round pick in 2020 essentially. Not sure we even have that pick any more. 
actually I forgot all about Chad Henne, he's behind Matt Moore... drafted in 2008, Henne started games in 2009.

If the Dolphins get jumped for Tua... someone offers a Ricky Williams or Herschel deal or whatever... I'm on board with moving up from 18 to get Jordan Love and having him sit behind Fitz for a year or 15 games.  

I will be very disappointed if the Miami Dolphins make a colossal trade and give away all these picks to move up to No 1 when they were clearly on the path to being No1-No 2 is infuriating as a fan,. I have said from the start I don't trust the owner, Stephen Ross any further than I can throw him. He likes to weigh in on the draft and if it's true that he wanted Lamar Jackson and was glossed over at the draft two years ago, that only gives him ammo to walk in and demand they inquire and come back with the terms of what a trade might look like. 

Ross doesn't seem to understand when you strip it down to the bare walls, you can't push all the chips in on one player, especially a QB with little to work with around him. Miami needs to use a long term approach and go get better in the Front-7 and the OL, then they can go buy the toys to go around it. 

You have a short window to draft a QB and get the luxury of paying him way under market value for about 3 years and that's enough time for you to draft the right guy with an already good team around him so you maximize loading up at key spots like DE/Pass Rush, WR-The guy who needs a 1 year prove it deal, DB-1 year left before he signs BIG, those guys are not on the roster yet but they will be and it needs to be timed right with when you draft your QB. Cleveland for example is going to have to figure out Baker in 2020, it's his 3rd year and it's either extend him or start looking to trade him and finding their "NEXT" franchise QB. Miami typically does not draft a QB very high. Outside of Tannehill you just won't find any even going back to Marino '83 where he still was 2nd to last pick of the 1st round. 

It's painful to hear Ross covets Burrows and I'm not anti-Joe B but there are 3-4 decent to great prospects and I go back and forth on Tua...I don't see how Detroit or New York doesn't listen to trade offers for teams wanting to move up and don't be surprised if an actual quality playoff level team doesn't get in on Hubert and Jordan Love after the Burrows and Tua show. There's 4 guys with 1st round level interest, to me that screams do not trade up. Miami needs a lot of help don't kid yourself. I'd like to see them do well in this draft and get 5-6 starters going on rookie deals, add that to a few they already have and at least half the starters on offense and defense should cost the team mostly nothing, putting them in a great spot to add some solid pieces thru free agency without having to break the bank. 

If I had a say in the matter, Jordan Love. 

-Had a great Junior year, crummy Senior Year...I've heard that story before back in '83

-Likely will be the No 4 QB off the board and it's possible they might be able to get him at 1.18, however I have this funny feeling his stock is going to soar between now and Draft Day and it only take one GM or owner who falls in love with him for it to happen. But if we could get him with one of the later 1st round picks, that would be OK but I think Miami needs to draft a future starter with all 6 of their picks in the 1st 70...in fact they should try and expand 6 into perhaps 8-9 if they do it right, they need a lot of young talent. 

-His downside I think is he's not super mobile, at least his rushing number don't show that he is a 2-way threat and that seems to be where teams are putting a premium running new offenses. 

Love will go before 18... Jeremiah mocked him at 13, ahead of Hebert.   his mobility has been called a strength. 
Walter Football had a 3rd-5th round grade on Love but I think they are always conservative on projections. 

Fromm and Eason were graded higher on many boards. I'm not sold Love will go quite as early as some think and at a certain point it might simply be too much to invest in a guy that many teams felt should have returned for his Senior Year. Top 12-15 pick overall seems high when you think about impact players you will pass up. If 3-4 QBs go in the Top 10-15 and then you figure several on both sides of the Line, there should be some awful nice picks at DB and LB just sitting there. 

My guess teams will look at his 18 season examine why his trajectory was altered for last season see all the changes around him losing his OL, targets, & coaches etc... and see a high ceiling.  I do think he and Herbert will go in that 10-15 range which combing with the WR class means the Dolphins should be able to marry BPA and need...which would be ideal if they're able to pick up Tua (still my preference if medical checks)

Users who are viewing this thread