What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Its Feb 22, go ahead and take down your Christmas lights, friendo (1 Viewer)

tommyboy

Footballguy
can't tell you how many homes i see on my drive through the neighborhoods every morning (early like 5:30AM-6AM, still dark out)

where i pass a house and see a) wreaths  b) christmas lights  or c) wreaths & christmas lights   still out.

while I appreciate your overwhelming christmas spirit I must say I'm a little disappointed in your work ethic, neighbor.

carry on

Lol.  I took down the ones that were on my arbor and landscaping by the street, but my house is down at the bottom of the slope so nobody can really see the lights on the front of my house unless they're actually at my house.  I meant to take them down, but every weekend something has come up.  Got sick, it snowed, whatever.   At this point if I don't take them down this weekend I'm probably just gonna leave em up til next year.

Lol.  I took down the ones that were on my arbor and landscaping by the street, but my house is down at the bottom of the slope so nobody can really see the lights on the front of my house unless they're actually at my house.  I meant to take them down, but every weekend something has come up.  Got sick, it snowed, whatever.   At this point if I don't take them down this weekend I'm probably just gonna leave em up til next year.
Leaving lights up is NBD, especially since they aren't too visible from the street. I was looking at some small LCD lights that actually are installed into the house, so that you can just leave them up all the time. Since they are LCD, you can change the colors to reflect the time of year. (Red, White & Blue for 4th, Orange for Halloween, etc.)

Pro-tip:  If you don't every put up Xmas lights you never have to worry about taking them down.
Or at least have the projection type that can change for each season. St. Patty's day green, Memorial Day & July 4th red white blue, Thanksgiving brown, etc.

I used to be bothered by that but I'm at a point in my life that if you keep your house up, keep your grass cut, don't let your dog crap in my yard, don't wake me up at 1:30 in the morning with fireworks or squealing tires, you don't steal my mail, packages,  snow truck plow poles or anything else from my property and you pay your taxes and abide by the rules of the subdivision. . . and for God's sake stay OFF the road in all black at night so I don't kill you accidentally with my car. . . then I'm okay with you.

Was pondering this just last week.

Gets dark pretty early here in the Northeast ... I still see Xmas trees up in peoples windows. 

It's INSIDE your house you lazy mfer! Can't even blame it on the cold weather.

Guess they'll hang plastic eggs on them pretty soon.

Leaving lights up is NBD, especially since they aren't too visible from the street. I was looking at some small LCD lights that actually are installed into the house, so that you can just leave them up all the time. Since they are LCD, you can change the colors to reflect the time of year. (Red, White & Blue for 4th, Orange for Halloween, etc.)
is your front door a set of "sliders"?

If they are lit then I agree.. Turn them OFF!.

I have 12 Deer still out due to being frozen to the ground.. But unplugged them on New Years day.

We did manage to get all the other lights off the trees and the house, so we have that going for us :thumbup:

is your front door a set of "sliders"?
Nah, it was due to a part of my roof line that is hard to reach, so I googled it for fun. This is what I found. Because they are small LEDs, you can't see them when they aren't lit.

Whew, just made the cut with our lights I guess. Finally unplugged them about a week ago. But no way am I actually taking the lights down (as opposed to unplugging them) as we have too much snow to safely take them down . 

There are still a couple of houses on the street that still turn their lights on.  I think how long you leave the lights on partially depends on where you live, because here in MN the lights still look nice with all of the snow.  I understand you might feel differently in AZ. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine get shut off, but they don't come off the house until spring. I am getting to old to be planting a ladder in the snow and ice to take down lights because some young punk like you doesn't like them on my house.  (get off my lawn :)   ).

Mine usually go up late October/early November while it is still nice out and come down in March or April depending on when the snow leaves.  That said, they are only on from Thanksgiving to New Years.

Mine are still blazing proudly each night.

It would take all of 30 seconds to turn off the timer so they aren't lit anymore so it's not an effort thing.

I still remember as a kid how disappointing it was right after Christmas when almost all evidence of it vanished immediately... store displays gone, Christmas carols gone, Christmas tree gone, Christmas lights gone, back to school...

I like to think there are kids that ride past my house at nighttime and still see Christmas lights and feel a little happier for having seen them.

Christmas lights in the snow are also one of my favorite things, and we get more snow in Jan/Feb than in December - so having the lights on in the snow is awesome and I'd leave then up until spring just for the ability to turn them on when it snows.

Alas this is getting close to the time of year I do usually finally turn them off... end of Feb / early March.

Sullie said:
I used to be bothered by that but I'm at a point in my life that if you keep your house up, keep your grass cut, don't let your dog crap in my yard, don't wake me up at 1:30 in the morning with fireworks or squealing tires, you don't steal my mail, packages,  snow truck plow poles or anything else from my property and you pay your taxes and abide by the rules of the subdivision. . . and for God's sake stay OFF the road in all black at night so I don't kill you accidentally with my car. . . then I'm okay with you.
Seems high maintenance to be your neighbor...

HARD PASS

Users who are viewing this thread