What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Children -- A Talk about how to handle a police encounter (1 Viewer)

Have you or do you plan on talking to your kids about how to behave if/when stopped by the police?

• Yes (I'm white)

Votes: 74 58.7%
  • No (I'm white)

Votes: 33 26.2%
  • Yes (I'm not white)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • No (I'm not white)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • No kids

Votes: 16 12.7%

• Total voters
I actually graduated from the police academy and was going through the process of trying to get hired by a department when I decided to change careers.  
I grew up in group homes surrounded by minorities of all stripes. Do I pass the Shiek approved I get to empathize with minorities bar? 

The idea that if black folks just behave this way or that way and they’d have no problem with white folks and cops is one of the most preposterously historically ignorant things I have ever heard. 

The idea that if black folks just behave this way or that way and they’d have no problem with white folks and cops is one of the most preposterously historically ignorant things I have ever heard. 
Maybe, but everyone should still do what the police are telling them to do. 

Some people really have their head buried the sand... As if beating the compliance drum is the answer to racial profiling, excessive/deadly force, and abuser of power. No wonder Trump got elected. Ignorant people love other ingnorant people.

For those of you saying “all you have to do is be polite, do what the cops say and you won’t have any trouble” try something for me.

Next time your wife has her period tell her “take some Pepto and walk it off”.

Let me know how she reacts.

Some people really have their head buried the sand... As if beating the compliance drum is the answer to racial profiling, excessive/deadly force, and abuser of power. No wonder Trump got elected. Ignorant people love other ingnorant people.
I don't think that's why he got elected.  Maybe part of it, but plenty of intelligent people voted for Donald.

That actually isn't what most people are saying in here or the other thread(s).   As usual on this board, there are two different conversations going on in parallel, with people talking past each other.

1st conversation:   "Anytime people get pulled over or detained by the cops, they should be super deferential and compliant.  Why?  Because it's safe, pragmatic, and a basic sign of respect.  Nobody should want to provoke the police.  It's a dumb reaction in the moment, it could get you killed.  So self preservation suggests you be smart and do what the police say in the moment."

2nd conversation:  "Minorities have been targeted by the police for decades and are put in these situations 100x more than white people.   Additionally, even if they comply with the police, they face a materially higher chance than white people of being shot for no reason, beaten in custody, or other horrific things.  So it isn't exactly a shock - nor is it irrational - that they don't want to comply with the police blindly, in every situation.  This is BS, and it appears a sizeable portion of our population doesn't appreciate the seriousness of this situation."

I'm sure somebody could wordsmith the above and make it more accurate, but that's my quick version (while trapped in a car with a wife and 4 kids around 11 years of age) of what folks seem to be saying on this topic.   It doesn't really accomplish much to have multiple conversations in parallel, IMO.

For those of you saying “all you have to do is be polite, do what the cops say and you won’t have any trouble” try something for me.

Uh...you got that backwards friend.  Every man knows to listen and comply to your wife because she's the authority, not vice versa.

Well technically neither are true, but mine's probably more common.   

@gianmarco

I don't think this poll turned out as hoped.  :lol:

Link

You claimed white people don't have this talk.

Several posters demonstrate white people do have this talk.

You link (to freaking Vox) an article to back up your claim despite being shown to be wrong.

You create a poll hoping to be further backed up.

Half the white responses are to the affirmative, 25% of non white responses to the affirmative.

This is awesome.  

I await your explanation to how the term "almost exclusively" = roughly half.  And an explanation of how the poll results show more white people (by %) have this talk than non white people.  :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
@gianmarco

I don't think this poll turned out as hoped.  :lol:

Link

You claimed white people don't have this talk.

Several posters demonstrate white people do have this talk.

You link (to freaking Vox) an article to back up your claim despite being shown to be wrong.

You create a poll hoping to be further backed up.

Half the white responses are to the affirmative, 25% of non white responses to the affirmative.

This is awesome.  

I await your explanation to how the term "almost exclusively" = roughly half.  And an explanation of how the poll results show more white people (by %) have this talk than non white people.  :popcorn:
Which talk?  The "be respectful to police" talk or the "you might get shot by the police" talk?   

People continuously conflating compliance with law enforcement and its relationship to the causes and concerns listed here.

Please explain to me how not complying with a police officer is going to further any of these?  Seems to me not complying with law enforcement is a surefire way to experience any and all of them firsthand.

Ah, good angle.

The "this wasn't really what I was talking about" retreat.
No, that's just my perspective.  It's not my poll, so it doesn't really matter how I would have worded it.  But when I saw the poll, my first reaction was "this poll isn't really asking the right question."

Anyway, I have a background in stats, survey design, etc.   So interpreting polls.....it's tough for me to let go.....I have an illness. ;)  

Worst post of the year candidate? 

No.  I prefer you don't act like you know what minorities go through.  We get it.  You feel bad about slavery and all that other stuff.  But you're coming off like you're trying too hard.  Like that 40 year old chick with pink streaks in her hair. 

Whenever I see white people getting upset about how white people treat minorities, I find that a little humorous.  
This is the second post in a day I have seen you post something like this. I have no skin in the game, but I find it just a really odd attitude. Multitudes of protests and movements trying to garner support and sympathy over these issues. Yet when some of it starts to manifest itself, you choose to mock it. Keep being you, but I am totally befuddled by the attitude. Seems beyond counter-productive.

Last edited by a moderator:
First time I got pulled over (shortly after getting my license), I didn't know what to do so I unbuckled my seatbelt and started to get out of the car for some reason. The cop drew his weapon and screamed at me to get back in the car. After that, he could tell that I was visibly shaken by the experience (we both were) and he let me go with a warning.
Are you Black?

DallasDMac said:
This is the second post in a day I have seen you post something like this. I have no skin in the game, but I find it just a really odd attitude. Multitudes of protests and movements trying to garner support and sympathy over these issues. Yet when some of it starts to manifest itself, you choose to mock it. Keep being you, but I am totally befuddled by the attitude. Seems beyond counter-productive.
Because when I see "angry white man" arguing for white people to treat minorities better, the first thought I always get in my head is something like a WWII movie where as the Americans are closing in on Berlin, a guy tearing off his Hugo Boss uniform and pointing, "Those evil Nazis are over there!"

Not comparing white people to Nazis, although I'm sure people have already.

My point is that if you are arguing that white people have been treating minorities bad for centuries, than taking a day off work and holding a protest sign while yelling at other white people doesn't get you off the hook.  You're still "the bad guy" too.  

But the reality is that we send people to jail for murder and let them out after a couple of years.  We don't condemn family members of serial killers because they had nothing to do with their relatives' killing sprees.  Yet, we hold EVERY white person accountable for what only some of their ancestors did hundreds of years ago?  WTH?

Protests against police don't help the problem.  They make it worse. If the goal is to make the relationship better you have to work to make it better, both sides.  If you were having marriage problems, you wouldn't protest out on the lawn every time your spouse might have made a mistake.  At least not if your goal was to make the relationship better.

After all these years, why are there not more black police officers working within the black communities? If evil white police officers are to blame and the majority of black towns tend to run Democratic, you would imagine that the police force demographics represent the general populace of the towns that they protect.

So why is this still an issue in the big cities? I understand the point if you tell me Sherrif Coltrane does this in Cobb County Georgia, then it makes a bit more sense that you might run into a racist cop, but if you are in Baltimore, you should see police that look like the population and the problems should not occur and yet they are as bad or worse.

Because when I see "angry white man" arguing for white people to treat minorities better, the first thought I always get in my head is something like a WWII movie where as the Americans are closing in on Berlin, a guy tearing off his Hugo Boss uniform and pointing, "Those evil Nazis are over there!"

Not comparing white people to Nazis, although I'm sure people have already.

My point is that if you are arguing that white people have been treating minorities bad for centuries, than taking a day off work and holding a protest sign while yelling at other white people doesn't get you off the hook.  You're still "the bad guy" too.  

But the reality is that we send people to jail for murder and let them out after a couple of years.  We don't condemn family members of serial killers because they had nothing to do with their relatives' killing sprees.  Yet, we hold EVERY white person accountable for what only some of their ancestors did hundreds of years ago?  WTH?

Protests against police don't help the problem.  They make it worse. If the goal is to make the relationship better you have to work to make it better, both sides.  If you were having marriage problems, you wouldn't protest out on the lawn every time your spouse might have made a mistake.  At least not if your goal was to make the relationship better.
We do?  Maybe some white people are trying to help out of the kindness of their heart and not over guilt of what their ancestors did.  Just a thought...

After all these years, why are there not more black police officers working within the black communities? If evil white police officers are to blame and the majority of black towns tend to run Democratic, you would imagine that the police force demographics represent the general populace of the towns that they protect.

So why is this still an issue in the big cities? I understand the point if you tell me Sherrif Coltrane does this in Cobb County Georgia, then it makes a bit more sense that you might run into a racist cop, but if you are in Baltimore, you should see police that look like the population and the problems should not occur and yet they are as bad or worse.
Somewhere there's a stat that shows that black cops have shot more black perps than white cops

Before or after I tell her to grill me steak?

Users who are viewing this thread