Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Tom Servo

2019 College football thread - Dabo rests easy after Penn State faceplants into a gopher hole.

1 minute ago, trader jake said:

Couldn't you say that about all non-Clemson and Alabama programs right now?

Yes.  The chest thumping is a touch nauseating.  Maybe Notre Dame should lower their academic standards...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

They’re definitely not small school U, but they’re not competing with the top shelf teams.  Anytime they play one of the superiorly talented schools, they lose.  They luck into a playoff spot occasionally, kick a fg and go home. 

They literally just took Georgia to the wire on the road.  Like, 20 minutes ago. :shrug: I thought they were the better team. 

• Thanks 1

tuned in to this Toledo v Colorado St game and a few minutes ago the color guy said there have been 28 flags in the first half

i'm not sure if he's kidding

1 minute ago, Capella said:

They literally just took Georgia to the wire on the road.  Like, 20 minutes ago. :shrug: I thought they were the better team. 

He's arguing the program that has their own national television deal, that made the playoffs last season, has 3 1st round picks in the past two years, that just went on the road and that team set a new attendance record...isn't relevant.  ??  So, let's just say he's on a roll.  Sometimes you just gotta agree to disagree.  This appears to be one of those times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, trader jake said:

He's arguing the program that has their own national television deal, that made the playoffs last season, has 3 1st round picks in the past two years, that just went on the road and that team set a new attendance record...isn't relevant.  ??  So, let's just say he's on a roll.  Sometimes you just gotta agree to disagree.  This appears to be one of those times.

On a day where his team had to muster up the courage to battle......Charlotte.  

4 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

tuned in to this Toledo v Colorado St game and a few minutes ago the color guy said there have been 28 flags in the first half

i'm not sure if he's kidding

First half has taken 2 hours and 7 minutes.

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Mr.Pack said:

Buffalo has a hellofa HC

I go either way on him.  He's very reserved, very milquetoast at times, kinda comes off as a little clueless/oblivious.  UB tends to struggle to make in-game adjustments.

He has followed a similar trajectory to the most recent few coaches.  A couple middling seasons, latch on to a decent QB, make a bowl, QB leaves, rinse repeat.  They seem to be doing a little better in recruiting, but it's been slow.  One bowl game every five years and a MAC title appearance every 10 years isn't going to sustain a program in an NFL city.  Especially with the basketball team having been so successful and seemingly continuing the best-in-the-MAC pace in recruiting.

I'm encouraged with today, this was a nice win over a team who was getting votes in both polls.  But I'd really be impressed with an above-.500 season in the MAC even after losing like 14 starters.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

I go either way on him.  He's very reserved, very milquetoast at times, kinda comes off as a little clueless/oblivious.  UB tends to struggle to make in-game adjustments.

He has followed a similar trajectory to the most recent few coaches.  A couple middling seasons, latch on to a decent QB, make a bowl, QB leaves, rinse repeat.  They seem to be doing a little better in recruiting, but it's been slow.  One bowl game every five years and a MAC title appearance every 10 years isn't going to sustain a program in an NFL city.  Especially with the basketball team having been so successful and seemingly continuing the best-in-the-MAC pace in recruiting.

I'm encouraged with today, this was a nice win over a team who was getting votes in both polls.  But I'd really be impressed with an above-.500 season in the MAC even after losing like 14 starters.

Talent level notwithstanding, he won 6 D3 titles in 8 years. 

• Like 1

Man, there sure are some silly-### arguments about ND not being relevant anymore. More importantly, what the hell happened to @Doctor Detroit?? He’d be all over (drunkenly!) tearing into these hot takes. 

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

UCLA has hit the Pirate ship with three touchdowns in about two minutes and just recovered a fumble. Down just 49-38.

3 minutes ago, strykerpks said:

Talent level notwithstanding, he won 6 D3 titles in 8 years. 

No doubt, he had great years at Whitewater.  I'd (genuinely) like to see him do it in D-1.

1 minute ago, Steve Tasker said:

No doubt, he had great years at Whitewater.  I'd (genuinely) like to see him do it in D-1.

Oh I hear ya. I just thought calling him clueless was a bit over the top. Though I don't get to watch many UB games so you may be right.

Just now, strykerpks said:

Oh I hear ya. I just thought calling him clueless was a bit over the top. Though I don't get to watch many UB games so you may be right.

I phrased that poorly.  He's definitely not actually-clueless on the sideline.  He just looks like it sometimes....looks dumfounded, emotionless, stunned when his team struggles.  I think it's just his personality.  Some games (like last week against Liberty), UB gets ruthlessly outcoached.  But last year was a record-breaking year for the program, first time to 10 wins.  He's got a very, very long leash right now, and if he can string together some successful seasons, he's easily the best coach in school history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayded said:

Proud of the guys tonight but I’m sick of the moral victories. The offensive game plan was absolute garbage and Long and Kelly should be roasted for it. 

Georgia played a heck of a game. Tip of the cap. 

Felt very much like the last UGA game.  Also up 3 at the half in a defensive battle, and Kelly cannot make in game or halftime adjustments.  They run what they run and that's that.  I could see after the second three and out that the safeties were creeping up cutting off the underneath routes and ND had success going vertical at the end of the half, but Kelly spends the 3rd quarter trying to establish the run. 

I half wonder if Book was hurt, the fastball was a changeup tonight, the routes were jumped constantly, the second pick was like a slow motion car wreck and once your flea flicker gets busted throw it away don't force it. That game was very winnable for ND tonight, all credit to UGA and their fans for that atmosphere.  

I'm with you, been chasing moral victories for years, lets get some real ones.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Man, UCLA should go for 2 every time because that's the only way they can make up the 3 point difference.

Yeah, the only way 🙄

My dad, diehard Bruin fan, is 83. He goes  to bed at around 9:15 pst every night. I think UCLA was down by 32 at that point. He must have gone to sleep. I’ll find out tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, trader jake said:

I’m arguing that a team that has a National television deal and the support of NBC should do more. Who cares about an attendance record by the way?  Those happen all the time and it’s not their stadium. Odd comment. 

I’m not saying ND isn’t relevant. They’re extremely relevant, they’re just not very good. I asked a simple question earlier, when is the last time they beat an elite team, no one could answer. I was told they played UGA close, well hooray for that. I was told “can’t that be the same for all non-Bama and Clemson teams?”  No, it can’t.  Texas beat OU and UGA last season, OU has beaten Texas, Penn State has beaten Ohio State recently, Ohio State has beaten great teams and won a title. There’s lot of examples of teams beating other great teams, but not in South Bend. How far do you have to go back to find ND getting a signature win?  5 years?  10?  

I want ND to be relevant in football, I think they’re a fun team. They’re not though, not as far as being in the title discussion which they somehow get themselves into nearly every year. 

8 hours ago, General Malaise said:

On a day where his team had to muster up the courage to battle......Charlotte.  

Calm down, Nike. Those Nevada and Montana games were classics. 

10 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

I’m arguing that a team that has a National television deal and the support of NBC should do more. Who cares about an attendance record by the way?  Those happen all the time and it’s not their stadium. Odd comment. 

I’m not saying ND isn’t relevant. They’re extremely relevant, they’re just not very good. I asked a simple question earlier, when is the last time they beat an elite team, no one could answer. I was told they played UGA close, well hooray for that. I was told “can’t that be the same for all non-Bama and Clemson teams?”  No, it can’t.  Texas beat OU and UGA last season, OU has beaten Texas, Penn State has beaten Ohio State recently, Ohio State has beaten great teams and won a title. There’s lot of examples of teams beating other great teams, but not in South Bend. How far do you have to go back to find ND getting a signature win?  5 years?  10?  

I want ND to be relevant in football, I think they’re a fun team. They’re not though, not as far as being in the title discussion which they somehow get themselves into nearly every year. 

You’re not wrong about the notion of them winning against top-finishing teams. Kelly is 0-11 in his last 11 matchups and is the reason why ND fans are divided. Some say it’s as good as ND can do and Kelly has brought them “back,” but many disagree. 

Kelly is getting closer, true, but his tenure at ND will be remembered as the guy who was a good coach but never a great one because he can never win the big game.

In recent years we’ve beaten LSU, Texas, USC, and Michigan amongst others but never at the top top of their games. To answer your question, the last big win was a 30-13 win at Oklahoma back in 2012. 

Kelly is ND’s John Cooper or Mark Richt and that’ll sit well with many and is why I don’t see him going anywhere until he wants to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Yes.  The chest thumping is a touch nauseating.  Maybe Notre Dame should lower their academic standards...

It is a hindrance. But it's not quite that simple. See e.g., OU.

19 minutes ago, Jayded said:

In recent years we’ve beaten LSU, Texas, USC, and Michigan amongst others but never at the top top of their games. To answer your question, the last big win was a 30-13 win at Oklahoma back in 2012. 

And that OU team wasn't quite as good as the OU teams of the last 4-5 years.

7 hours ago, timschochet said:

My dad, diehard Bruin fan, is 83. He goes  to bed at around 9:15 pst every night. I think UCLA was down by 32 at that point. He must have gone to sleep. I’ll find out tomorrow. 

What time did the game get over?  I fell asleep on the couch watching it.  I woke up sometime later and figured they were showing a middle of the night replay.  Sounds like the game was probably still going on at that point.  :loco: 

ETA:  Looking at the time of the replies in this thread the game must have finished around 2 AM central?  :lmao: 

Edited by WDIK2