What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (11 Viewers)

My dad, diehard Bruin fan, is 83. He goes  to bed at around 9:15 pst every night. I think UCLA was down by 32 at that point. He must have gone to sleep. I’ll find out tomorrow. 

He's arguing the program that has their own national television deal, that made the playoffs last season, has 3 1st round picks in the past two years, that just went on the road and that team set a new attendance record...isn't relevant.  ??  So, let's just say he's on a roll.  Sometimes you just gotta agree to disagree.  This appears to be one of those times.
I’m arguing that a team that has a National television deal and the support of NBC should do more. Who cares about an attendance record by the way?  Those happen all the time and it’s not their stadium. Odd comment. 

I’m not saying ND isn’t relevant. They’re extremely relevant, they’re just not very good. I asked a simple question earlier, when is the last time they beat an elite team, no one could answer. I was told they played UGA close, well hooray for that. I was told “can’t that be the same for all non-Bama and Clemson teams?”  No, it can’t.  Texas beat OU and UGA last season, OU has beaten Texas, Penn State has beaten Ohio State recently, Ohio State has beaten great teams and won a title. There’s lot of examples of teams beating other great teams, but not in South Bend. How far do you have to go back to find ND getting a signature win?  5 years?  10?  

I want ND to be relevant in football, I think they’re a fun team. They’re not though, not as far as being in the title discussion which they somehow get themselves into nearly every year. 

I’m arguing that a team that has a National television deal and the support of NBC should do more. Who cares about an attendance record by the way?  Those happen all the time and it’s not their stadium. Odd comment. 

I’m not saying ND isn’t relevant. They’re extremely relevant, they’re just not very good. I asked a simple question earlier, when is the last time they beat an elite team, no one could answer. I was told they played UGA close, well hooray for that. I was told “can’t that be the same for all non-Bama and Clemson teams?”  No, it can’t.  Texas beat OU and UGA last season, OU has beaten Texas, Penn State has beaten Ohio State recently, Ohio State has beaten great teams and won a title. There’s lot of examples of teams beating other great teams, but not in South Bend. How far do you have to go back to find ND getting a signature win?  5 years?  10?  

I want ND to be relevant in football, I think they’re a fun team. They’re not though, not as far as being in the title discussion which they somehow get themselves into nearly every year. 
You’re not wrong about the notion of them winning against top-finishing teams. Kelly is 0-11 in his last 11 matchups and is the reason why ND fans are divided. Some say it’s as good as ND can do and Kelly has brought them “back,” but many disagree. 

Kelly is getting closer, true, but his tenure at ND will be remembered as the guy who was a good coach but never a great one because he can never win the big game.

In recent years we’ve beaten LSU, Texas, USC, and Michigan amongst others but never at the top top of their games. To answer your question, the last big win was a 30-13 win at Oklahoma back in 2012. 

Kelly is ND’s John Cooper or Mark Richt and that’ll sit well with many and is why I don’t see him going anywhere until he wants to.

In recent years we’ve beaten LSU, Texas, USC, and Michigan amongst others but never at the top top of their games. To answer your question, the last big win was a 30-13 win at Oklahoma back in 2012. 
And that OU team wasn't quite as good as the OU teams of the last 4-5 years.

My dad, diehard Bruin fan, is 83. He goes  to bed at around 9:15 pst every night. I think UCLA was down by 32 at that point. He must have gone to sleep. I’ll find out tomorrow. 
What time did the game get over?  I fell asleep on the couch watching it.  I woke up sometime later and figured they were showing a middle of the night replay.  Sounds like the game was probably still going on at that point.  :loco:  

ETA:  Looking at the time of the replies in this thread the game must have finished around 2 AM central?  :lmao:  

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re not wrong about the notion of them winning against top-finishing teams. Kelly is 0-11 in his last 11 matchups and is the reason why ND fans are divided. Some say it’s as good as ND can do and Kelly has brought them “back,” but many disagree. 

Kelly is getting closer, true, but his tenure at ND will be remembered as the guy who was a good coach but never a great one because he can never win the big game.

Kelly is ND’s John Cooper or Mark Richt and that’ll sit well with many and is why I don’t see him going anywhere until he wants to.
ND felt like they came out with house money and they weren't exactly doing crazy crazy plays, they were much more freewheeling, defense buzzing but then it felt like they froze when they realized, "hey, we ARE in this game" like they didn't expect it.  

I don't think ND was on the level of Clemson lsat year, but when their cornerback went down, that game totally changed and opened up.  And therein lies ND's self imposed handicap of only wanting "academic" guys or someone who could plausibly be considered one.  Georgia, Bama, LSU and Clemson have 4 stars on the bench.  If their guys pan out, ND can put out a good team maybe 2 out of every 4 years, but there's no depth for the true consistency those teams generally generate (LSU back after a dip).  

ND felt like they came out with house money and they weren't exactly doing crazy crazy plays, they were much more freewheeling, defense buzzing but then it felt like they froze when they realized, "hey, we ARE in this game" like they didn't expect it.  

I don't think ND was on the level of Clemson lsat year, but when their cornerback went down, that game totally changed and opened up.  And therein lies ND's self imposed handicap of only wanting "academic" guys or someone who could plausibly be considered one.  Georgia, Bama, LSU and Clemson have 4 stars on the bench.  If their guys pan out, ND can put out a good team maybe 2 out of every 4 years, but there's no depth for the true consistency those teams generally generate (LSU back after a dip).  
Remember last night how I said Notre Dame has 40 4-stars over the last 3 years?

Clemson has 35. 

Remember last night how I said Notre Dame has 40 4-stars over the last 3 years?

Clemson has 35. 
well i'll admit that's shocking.  

BK isn't on the same planet as Dabo though, would give anything for that guy.

Case in point, they're going to a walk on coaches pet  in big spots last night in Finke rather than using their athletes.  Use those schlubs vs navy not the SEC

well i'll admit that's shocking.  

BK isn't on the same planet as Dabo though, would give anything for that guy.
The most amazing thing about Clemson, other than how they rose from the middle of nowhere to get here is how their recruiting isn’t anywhere near as amazing as most people think. Usually 7th-10th. Think two years ago they were 15th. This year though they are signing a historic class. 

Dabo hits on the big ones though (Lawrence, Watson, the dline) and they all stay healthy so it’s been huge for them. 

The most amazing thing about Clemson, other than how they rose from the middle of nowhere to get here is how their recruiting isn’t anywhere near as amazing as most people think. Usually 7th-10th. Think two years ago they were 15th. This year though they are signing a historic class. 

Dabo hits on the big ones though (Lawrence, Watson, the dline) and they all stay healthy so it’s been huge for them. 
The best QB we have in Southern California, out of St John Bosco, has committed to Clemson. 

ETA 

https://247sports.com/Player/DJ-Uiagalelei-45573350/

DJ Uiagaleli, 6-4, almost a Tua clone except perhaps bigger and faster. He says he chose Clemson because Dabo is a devout Christian and they prayed together. 

The best QB we have in Southern California, out of St John Bosco, has committed to Clemson. 

ETA 

https://247sports.com/Player/DJ-Uiagalelei-45573350/

DJ Uiagaleli, 6-4, almost a Tua clone except perhaps bigger and faster. He says he chose Clemson because Dabo is a devout Christian and they prayed together. 
Yea dabo is running a pretty good shtick out there. It’s kinda gross but all of CFB is so no biggie. 

So, does the win not count?
The issue being discussed was wins over "top-finishing teams." OU was 10-3 and finished at 15 in 2012. Leaving open the question of whether it was actually a win over a team "at the top top of their games." Landry Jones was the QB. Does that ND team go into Norman and beat a Mayfield or Murray-led, CFB playoff-bound OU?

Yea dabo is running a pretty good shtick out there. It’s kinda gross but all of CFB is so no biggie. 
Right. Devout Christians don't go on an F-Bomb tirade on National TV with hundreds of thousands of people watching. On more than one occasion I may add. 

Bobby perfected the devout coach routine.
Yep.  Plays very well with mothers.  Osborne did the religion thing and had a couple ordained minister assistant coaches.  Bob Devaney would sing hymns with mothers in their living rooms.

I think coaches would dress in all black with eye makeup to land a Wiccan 5-star dual-threat qb.

New SCar RB Tavien Feaster has lost the same # of games in the first month of the season than in the previous 3 years at his old school. 

Sad!

New SCar RB Tavien Feaster has lost the same # of games in the first month of the season than in the previous 3 years at his old school. 

Sad!
He possibly made a mistake going to Carolina when he could have gone to Texas. 

Rumor has it that he is considering sitting out the rest of the season but you know how rumors go.

What time did the game get over?  I fell asleep on the couch watching it.  I woke up sometime later and figured they were showing a middle of the night replay.  Sounds like the game was probably still going on at that point.  :loco:  

ETA:  Looking at the time of the replies in this thread the game must have finished around 2 AM central?  :lmao:  
I fell asleep too and woke up at  2 AM to pee when I saw the game was still on.  I figured they were in some 7 overtime game.  Was shocked to see it was only halfway through the 4th quarter.

Not for nothing, but do you remember when FBGs were benching 300 lbs, shagging 9s, and making six figure bank?  Now we're falling asleep on a Saturday night and getting up to pee in the middle of the night.  God we've been around a long time.

Not for nothing, but do you remember when FBGs were benching 300 lbs, shagging 9s, and making six figure bank?  Now we're falling asleep on a Saturday night and getting up to pee in the middle of the night.  God we've been around a long time.
Very true.  I was however at a party until about midnight and walked home instead of driving if that gives you an idea of the condition I was in.  I'm using that as an excuse for falling asleep anyway.  ;)  

Users who are viewing this thread