What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (8 Viewers)

It will forever be amazing to me that the Big 10 added Rutgers. That program would be in the AAC trash can right now if not for that. What an amazing thing to have happen. 

It will forever be amazing to me that the Big 10 added Rutgers. That program would be in the AAC trash can right now if not for that. What an amazing thing to have happen. 
The explanation at the time was that Rutgers would give the  Big Ten exposure in NY/NJ market. They held the big ten basketball tournament at the Madison Square Garden in 2018. I’ve no idea how successful that strategy has been. 

The explanation at the time was that Rutgers would give the  Big Ten exposure in NY/NJ market. They held the big ten basketball tournament at the Madison Square Garden in 2018. I’ve no idea how successful that strategy has been. 
Well we all know cable tv is the wave of the future!

How successful has any "Let's capture X market with Y team" really been?   How does one measure this?   So rutgers fans watch them play Nebraska and not Pitt?  This is worth $$$?  

Has the big12 monopolized the west Virginia market?  Were all the coal mine break rooms glued to Baylor Iowa State?  

How successful has any "Let's capture X market with Y team" really been?   How does one measure this?   So rutgers fans watch them play Nebraska and not Pitt?  This is worth $$$?  

Has the big12 monopolized the west Virginia market?  Were all the coal mine break rooms glued to Baylor Iowa State?  
Adding WVU wasn't about TVs, it was about saving the conference.

culdeus said:

ISnt it about expansion of the market for carriage fees of the big ten network?  

Not sure what to say about West Virginia other than getting in programs that get to better bowls/more bowl money?

ISnt it about expansion of the market for carriage fees of the big ten network?  

Not sure what to say about West Virginia other than getting in programs that get to better bowls/more bowl money?
The big ten channel is available locally here under most basic package.  The nearest team is Nebraska.   Do they get more money from a provider for having a closer team?

Was just thinking about how much it must suck to be a Nebraska fan at this game. At this point you'd have to be trying to decide whether you want to sit through another hour and a half of this or just leave during halftime.

Also, yeah, probably. :sadbanana:
Lots of people in my section left at the half.

The big ten channel is available locally here under most basic package.  The nearest team is Nebraska.   Do they get more money from a provider for having a closer team?
was the big ten channel available on most basic packages prior to Nebraska joining the big 10 in 2012?  If not, then that would seem to be a point in favor of Nebraska being added.  I have no idea if Nebraska specifically moved the needle in Texas, but the theory is that getting into new markets causes those cable providers to want to add the big ten network and put it in packages, which means more money for the Big Ten.

also, in googling, i am reminded that, at the time, conferences were required to have 12 teams in order to split into divisions and have a championship game, so that was at least part of the impetus.

i also assume that the Big Ten saw some value in Nebraska's research facilities, which should not be forgotten when it comes to this conference, though most of the surface stuff that I recall is that Nebraska is also not a clear positive in this regard.

I feel like "opening lines" have gotten worse since I gambled. I'm guessing someone used a preseaon line yesterday when putting everyone into a frenzy over Florida -7.5. Most people can't even bet with their local books until Monday, and places like Donbets didn't even post actual lines until later on Sunday. My friends and I used to wait for those to post every week, and we'd have games to see who could guess them correctly. IOW, it's all pretty much BS until Monday, so I don't understand why people freak out as much as they do over Sunday line postings.

After watching Jalen H now for the second time this year I have to ask?  Does he have potential in the NFL as a qb?  He was amazing on saturday and looks huge as well.  A lot bigger than I remember him at bama

After watching Jalen H now for the second time this year I have to ask?  Does he have potential in the NFL as a qb?  He was amazing on saturday and looks huge as well.  A lot bigger than I remember him at bama
He’s going to get drafted pretty high. Not sure where but I’d guess first 3 rounds. 

was the big ten channel available on most basic packages prior to Nebraska joining the big 10 in 2012?  If not, then that would seem to be a point in favor of Nebraska being added.  I have no idea if Nebraska specifically moved the needle in Texas, but the theory is that getting into new markets causes those cable providers to want to add the big ten network and put it in packages, which means more money for the Big Ten.

also, in googling, i am reminded that, at the time, conferences were required to have 12 teams in order to split into divisions and have a championship game, so that was at least part of the impetus.

i also assume that the Big Ten saw some value in Nebraska's research facilities, which should not be forgotten when it comes to this conference, though most of the surface stuff that I recall is that Nebraska is also not a clear positive in this regard.
The main goal of these merges is to provide value to the conference administrators in the form of salaries, and to get stable TV money so schools can pay big salaries to their own administrators and fund things like capital campaigns through loans back to boosters banks.  Conference championship games are a huge part of this, as they generate a huge windfall for the conference admins for sure.

There's not a single shared research project on the planet that has EVER been held up because one school doesn't play another school in football.  All this fluff and nonsense about all these shared research facilities is done to just smokescreen the fact that all this revenue just gets eaten by non academic staff, I mean maybe they throw a few grand at some fellowship. BFD.  If it helps people sleep better at night knowing someone that isn't playing might get something out of it, great.

My main theory/hypothesis is that none of these conference moves are really adding any value, over just inertia.  It's just concentrating the revenue that was there into fewer buckets.  Zero sum, whatever you want to call it.

If there is to be expansion/contraction it will be first and foremost done in a way that maintains a lot of sweet gigs in nice offices.

Rutgers should go outside the box and run the option. They have no chance to compete doing what every other program is doing. 

The main goal of these merges is to provide value to the conference administrators in the form of salaries, and to get stable TV money so schools can pay big salaries to their own administrators and fund things like capital campaigns through loans back to boosters banks.  Conference championship games are a huge part of this, as they generate a huge windfall for the conference admins for sure.

There's not a single shared research project on the planet that has EVER been held up because one school doesn't play another school in football.  All this fluff and nonsense about all these shared research facilities is done to just smokescreen the fact that all this revenue just gets eaten by non academic staff, I mean maybe they throw a few grand at some fellowship. BFD.  If it helps people sleep better at night knowing someone that isn't playing might get something out of it, great.

My main theory/hypothesis is that none of these conference moves are really adding any value, over just inertia.  It's just concentrating the revenue that was there into fewer buckets.  Zero sum, whatever you want to call it.

If there is to be expansion/contraction it will be first and foremost done in a way that maintains a lot of sweet gigs in nice offices.
you may be right overall.  that's different that question of how it works instrumentally.

When you say the bolded, do you mean that the overall NCAA revenue doesn't increase, it just flows more to the power conferences?

you may be right overall.  that's different that question of how it works instrumentally.

When you say the bolded, do you mean that the overall NCAA revenue doesn't increase, it just flows more to the power conferences?
Would say that if you went back to 1990 and kept conferences and alignments as they were then, and charted growth, vs. what today looks like the growth and revenue pattern would match within some margin.  The main difference is the wealth has concentrated in maybe 60 schools, rather than 80-90.  This is why someone like Baylor can finance a new stadium.  

Politician Spock said:
I had no idea that Nebraska had double downed on freaky mascots. 
You're way behind the times.  Lil' Red has to be almost 20 years old by now. (almost as old as Nebraska's last conference title)  Still not sure what the Reagan-era Herbie is doing with his hands here.

Beef Ravioli said:
More evidence of the snowflakes we have become in our country. Everyone gets a trophy, no score games, don’t say anything that is against me, etc.

To bad that they apologized for it, they should have doubled down. 
:goodposting:  If you don't want to be trolled, don't make the roadie to the other team's field.

Yes, which is why adding Rutgers and Maryland was so valuable to the B1G. Fees for BTN at the time were something like $0.40/month in states that didn't have an in-conference school, and about $1.05/month if there was a school in the state. From Cablevision alone, which is the biggest in NJ but one of a few majors, the conference received almost an extra $20 million the first year. Add in the other large operators, the rate increases that have taken place since the initial deal, the MD/VA/DC operators, etc and the other schools are absolutely cleaning up thanks to the additions (even before considering the on field results).

Rutgers should go outside the box and run the option. They have no chance to compete doing what every other program is doing. 
I'd rather suffer through another 4 years of Ash's ineptitude than have to watch (winning) option football. 

Carolina /Clemson 2013 Halftime

This is from the halftime show of the Carolina - Clemson game from 2013. Olde Macdonald and Dueling Banjos. Also watch when they show the video board. 

Side note: The Randy Lucas they refer to is my 1st cousin and a Clemson fan. His daughter is in the Bluegrass band as well and was a USC student at the time. 

Let the snowfall begin. 

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Last edited by a moderator:
Had lunch with three Arkansas blowhards today that are convinced they will leave the SEC at the first available opportunity.  Anything to this?

This is from the halftime show of the Carolina - Clemson game from 2013. Olde Macdonald and Dueling Banjos. Also watch when they show the video board. 

Side note: The Randy Lucas they refer to is my 1st cousin and a Clemson fan. His daughter is in the Bluegrass band as well and was a USC student at the time. 

Let the snowfall begin. 

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️
What was from 2013? The article posted by @Mad Cow

Users who are viewing this thread