What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Comfortably Numb's thread of random stupid questions. TIA (1 Viewer)

comfortably numb

Footballguy
I have watched basketball since a kid in the early 90s.  Even played playground basketball but never organized where I learned and understood all the rules.

In my 30 years of watching basketball on TV I've never understood what it means when a team has a foul to give. What's the strategic purpose at the latter stage of a game where a team would use one of their fouls to give?

I have watched basketball since a kid in the early 90s.  Even played playground basketball but never organized where I learned and understood all the rules.

In my 30 years of watching basketball on TV I've never understood what it means when a team has a foul to give. What's the strategic purpose at the latter stage of a game where a team would use one of their fouls to give?
that means they aren't in the bonus yet, and they can foul one more time without letting the other team shoot an automatic 1-and-1 free throw 

I kinda thought that but what is the strategy to foul at that point? Is it to stop the clock?
Yep. Say your team was down by 1 and you have 1 foul to give. You can foul them and stop the clock without the chance of them shooting a free throw and adding to the lead (or just inbounding and running out the clock). 

When it’s brought up it’s almost always referring to an advantage that the team that is ahead has. They can interrupt a play and make the opponent inbound and start over without giving up free throws. Burn some clock, give the foul, and make the team that’s behind start over with an inbound play. 

It depends on the circumstances how it is used.   In some cases very late in the game, if teams have a foul to give before getting automatic free throws, it can be used to try to stop the team from getting a good scoring chance.   Other times it can be used to aggressively go after the ball to make a steal without putting them on the line.   There are all kinds of strategies of when it is smart to foul and when it isn't.   

What the above posters all said, except I'll add a caveat. Sometimes a "foul to give" is a bad thing. Say there's about four seconds and you're not in the bonus but down two or three and the other team has the ball and the shot clock is greater than four seconds. That foul to give becomes an albatross held because the other team can try to run the clock down while you foul to get them to the line hoping for the missed free throws.

But Jessep, SFBayDuck, and jon_mx said -- the phrase itself is almost always used when it's a competitive advantage to the defensive team.

comfortably numb said:
I kinda thought that but what is the strategy to foul at that point? Is it to stop the clock?
It also can be used by a team that's leading to slow down the other team. Instead of letting them drive to the lane for an easy bucket, they can foul them on the floor and make them start the play over out of bounds with presumably 5-10 seconds less time.

Why does the nba say "one plus the penalty".

Is it ever just one without the penalty? 
It’s just the way the rule is written (I’ve looked this one up before). 

Section V—Free Throw Penalty Situations

Each team is limited to four team fouls per regulation period without additional penalties. Common fouls charged as team fouls, in excess of four, will be penalized by one free throw attempt plus a penalty free throw attempt.

It’s just the way the rule is written (I’ve looked this one up before). 

Section V—Free Throw Penalty Situations

Each team is limited to four team fouls per regulation period without additional penalties. Common fouls charged as team fouls, in excess of four, will be penalized by one free throw attempt plus a penalty free throw attempt.
I googled it too, but i wondered why it was written that way. Wondered if one rule got changed a long time ago but then that one just stayed as is. 

Will the NBA ever have it's own variation of deflategate?  Will we find out that Golden State has been pumping helium into the balls?

Will the NBA ever have it's own variation of deflategate?  Will we find out that Golden State has been pumping helium into the balls?
One difference is that in football each offense brings and uses their own balls. Obviously in the NBA both teams use the same ball.

comfortably numb said:

Stupid question.  NEXT!

I googled it too, but i wondered why it was written that way. Wondered if one rule got changed a long time ago but then that one just stayed as is. 
I can’t find anything on the google machine, but yeah I think at one point a feee throw was awarded for each foul. So maybe a remnant of that?

I do remember when 3-to-make-2 was a thing in the NBA. 

Is this thread open? I have many random stupid sports-themed questions. 

Like for example why are baseball stadiums so much deeper to CF than down the lines?  Shouldn't it be harder to hit a HR if you swing a bit early or late and almost hit it foul?

If the raptors had a "foul to give" they could have easily fouled curry last night to break up the play that eventually led to Iguadala hitting that three?

Did i do that right?

Like for example why are baseball stadiums so much deeper to CF than down the lines?  Shouldn't it be harder to hit a HR if you swing a bit early or late and almost hit it foul?
because you can cram more cheap seats down the OF lines by bringin' them in closer than CF?   :shrug:

because you can cram more cheap seats down the OF lines by bringin' them in closer than CF?   :shrug:
I figure it was either something like that or has something to do with how they built stadiums to fit in city blocks back in the day or something.

Still stupid IMO.

I figure it was either something like that or has something to do with how they built stadiums to fit in city blocks back in the day or something.

Still stupid IMO.
Its because when field ratios were designed home runs rarely happened. So center field being bigger was actually a reward.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the raptors had a "foul to give" they could have easily fouled curry last night to break up the play that eventually led to Iguadala hitting that three?

Did i do that right?
The shot clock would have reset to 14 making it pointless. At least from their perspective. Using a foul to give would have then forced them to send GS to the line. If they wanted to send GS to the free throw line they would have done so when green had the ball, they chose to play it straight up. 

comfortably numb said:

In olden days, some fathers didn't have money to get their daughters married off except the lucky ones who still had a fowl to give.

Why should it be harder?  I think geometrically by having a deeper center field it makes more room in the overall fair territory to maximize playing space.  I am not sure why you think it should be harder to hit a ball out the playing field in one area over another. 

I think i know the answer but want to confirm. 

I found a box as part of what looks like a quasi stamp collection. Ilthe stamps look to be worthless 

For example i have a sheet of  50 - 29cent stamps from 92.

The sheet is $14.50 in postage. If the cost to ship a box say Priority mail is 11 bucks. Instead of throwing them out can i just slap the whole sheet on a box i am shipping?

It would look ridiculous but selllin3them is pointless. Throwing them out seems like throwing away money. Using them seems viable.

I think i know the answer but want to confirm. 

I found a box as part of what looks like a quasi stamp collection. Ilthe stamps look to be worthless 

For example i have a sheet of  50 - 29cent stamps from 92.

The sheet is $14.50 in postage. If the cost to ship a box say Priority mail is 11 bucks. Instead of throwing them out can i just slap the whole sheet on a box i am shipping?

It would look ridiculous but selllin3them is pointless. Throwing them out seems like throwing away money. Using them seems viable.
Yep...Not quite that extreme, but back in the day when I mailed a lot of sports cards, If I didn't have time to get to the post office, I'd slap 4-5 stamps on the front of a bubble mailer in lieu of getting a 1.50 printed postage label. Works like a charm. And makes them have to use their postmark stamper a lot more :lol:  

Way back when (when I was young), there weren't "common fouls" that didn't have foul shots. All fouls were shooting fouls. After so many (5? I don't recall the number), it became 1 and 1. Two shots were reserved for fouls while shooting; there was no "double bonus".

Way back when (when I was young), there weren't "common fouls" that didn't have foul shots. All fouls were shooting fouls. After so many (5? I don't recall the number), it became 1 and 1. Two shots were reserved for fouls while shooting; there was no "double bonus".
The one and one is always interesting. As soon as a big inside guy with brick hands got the ball you hacked him. Good chance your inside lane guys grab the rebound after he misses the first.

how do places charge >$10 for a pizza?  the ingredients literally cost cents yet some places charge in the teens.  how?

Users who are viewing this thread