What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Says Republicans are running "their little torture project". Agree? (1 Viewer)

Are Republicans intentionally running a "little torture project"?

• Absolutely Yes

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • Probably Yes

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Probably No

Votes: 16 10.2%
  • Absolutely No

Votes: 75 47.8%

• Total voters
You don't get 9500 members of a Facebook group for a LEO squad of 21000 if the culture that creates the mindset of the 9500 is discouraged.
An unrelated story but it goes to your point. A police officer was caught planting evidence by his own bodycam. This was found after an assistant district attorney started looking through his videos. She was told to stop and when she didn't she found direct evidence. She was then berated by her superior for doing so and she quit. They had to dismiss 119 cases. Some of those people sat in jail, some were able to make bond all now have to pay to try to get their record expunged. What happened to the cop? Surely there will be charges right? Nope. He was fired but he'll likely find his way back on a force somewhere. But it is obvious if he would blatantly do this and video himself while doing it there was no fear anyone would look at the video and if they did nothing would be done. That is a corrupt culture from top to bottom.

She makes comments about the conditions inside the facility but she never went in. 

The Examiner report claims Ocasio-Cortez refused to tour the facility, as well, choosing to stay with a family in a holding area instead. The freshman rep previously tweeted about her visit to border facilities, writing that people of all ages were being mistreated and were "drinking out of toilets" as the guards laughed at the migrants' plight right in front of her.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-border-agents-southern-border
This story can’t be true, because AOC released video, which I just saw on TV, from inside the facility. Or at least it’s not  the whole truth. and what exactly is the difference between the facility and a “holding area”? 

We’re getting very contradictory stories here and the problem is everybody that is offering them has a political axe to grind. I do as well, obviously. But at this point I’m not going to call anybody a liar, I just want the truth and go from there. It seems to me that the best way to accomplish that would be to allow media access to these camps. If ICE and the administration continue to refuse this, then that would make me more suspicious than ever that they are in the wrong here and trying to hide that fact. Is there anyone who disagrees with this assessment? 

I don't believe I said that members of Congress don't have political motivations.  If I have, please quote it for me so that I can correct it.
You are just begging him to cut the first three words from this very statement and to give it back to you as a quote, rather than a bastardized one.  Fortunately John Blutarsky is not one to get caught up in back and forth, partisan, foolishness. ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the problem for all the people claiming this is all made up and for @timschochet claims people don't do bad policy on purpose. There is a new report out from DHS itself that says yeah it's all on purpose. Yes the abuses are real and yes we are doing it on purpose as a deterrent. Oh and for all the Obama lap dogs his DHS was part of it as well.

So Trump just ratcheted up what Obama was already doing and all of it was on purpose Tim.
Yes I’m aware. I basically recalibrated my views on this yesterday. 

Personally I would like to see an investigation from Congress about President Trump’s role in this matter. If the reports are accurate I would regard this as an impeachable offense, worse than anything else he is currently accused of. But I know that won’t happen. 

I don't know if anything has been made up from whole cloth or is partial truth or totally true, but it's very clear that several sitting members of Congress are willing to claim at best borderline human rights violation-level conditions at these facilities.  Maybe Rodriguez was at a different facility than the one AOC went inside.  Maybe things were cleaned up.  Maybe the members of Congress consider things to be horrible that he doesn't.  

But we know that children have died in custody.  We know lawyers have said conditions are awful.  We know a 17 year old Guatemalan girl was found by watchdogs with a premature baby, sitting in a wheelchair, when the baby should have been at a neonatal care facility.  We know people working at these facilities have been arrested for and convicted of sexual assault and rape, and we know that photographs that look pretty horrible have been taken by Reuters and others.  And now we know there were 9500 members of a pretty horrible facebook group.

This story can’t be true, because AOC released video, which I just saw on TV, from inside the facility. Or at least it’s not  the whole truth. and what exactly is the difference between the facility and a “holding area”? 

We’re getting very contradictory stories here and the problem is everybody that is offering them has a political axe to grind. I do as well, obviously. But at this point I’m not going to call anybody a liar, I just want the truth and go from there. It seems to me that the best way to accomplish that would be to allow media access to these camps. If ICE and the administration continue to refuse this, then that would make me more suspicious than ever that they are in the wrong here and trying to hide that fact. Is there anyone who disagrees with this assessment? 
Castro took the videos that I saw.  He snuck his phone in.

But AOC went to more than one facility.  Both statements can be true.

I would be surprised if many of these facilities did not have video surveillance of their interiors.  Media access would be nice, but pre-existing video from before they know and can prepare for media access might be more informative.

Yes I’m aware. I basically recalibrated my views on this yesterday. 

Personally I would like to see an investigation from Congress about President Trump’s role in this matter. If the reports are accurate I would regard this as an impeachable offense, worse than anything else he is currently accused of. But I know that won’t happen. 
What consequences, if any, should Obama face? 

I most definitely question her claim that she is 5'4", a claim made when she was describing the threats and intimidation of her.  I just saw video of her sitting in an SUV and quite clearly she should be in a child booster seat if she wants the passive restraints to function properly.  She is a tiny woman.

I most definitely question her claim that she is 5'4", a claim made when she was describing the threats and intimidation of her.  I just saw video of her sitting in an SUV and quite clearly she should be in a child booster seat if she wants the passive restraints to function properly.  She is a tiny woman.
Yeah, she's 5'4" like Drew Brees is 6'

Honest question:

I've read repeatedly that most of these migrants are from Central & South America and are fleeing violence, and that is the reason they are seeking refuge. Are some of these folks also seeking refugee status in Mexico? Does Mexico have the ability to offer asylum? I haven't really seen that written about anywhere.

Honest question:

I've read repeatedly that most of these migrants are from Central & South America and are fleeing violence, and that is the reason they are seeking refuge. Are some of these folks also seeking refugee status in Mexico? Does Mexico have the ability to offer asylum? I haven't really seen that written about anywhere.
Many stay in Mexico.  It's why the "caravans" are usually pretty anticlimactic.  But Mexico is also insanely violent these days, which is why we're seeing more and more immigrants come all the way up.

Mexico just created a 60,000 soldier national guard to try to take on the national violence epidemic.  It's often not much safer (and less so with no family or friends or understanding of the dangers) than where they came from.

I'm not going to totally lay Trumps missteps and wrong doings during his tenure completely at the feet of those who voted him in in 2016. We vote on the expectations of an agenda set forth by the politican based on what he/she has campaigned on.  

I'm not going to totally lay Trumps missteps and wrong doings during his tenure completely at the feet of those who voted him in in 2016. We vote on the expectations of an agenda  the politican based on what he/she has campaigned.  
And as I've said you can't know for sure at that point. But they know now. And he has a solid base that has never wavered. They are complicit at this point.

I'm not going to totally lay Trumps missteps and wrong doings during his tenure completely at the feet of those who voted him in in 2016. We vote on the expectations of an agenda  the politican based on what he/she has campaigned.  
I will...because this is always who he was and was going to be.  These same criticisms were brought up in the primaries and the general election.  They knew all of this and still voted for yom and still defend and support him.

And as I've said you can't know for sure at that point. But they know now. And he has a solid base that has never wavered. They are complicit at this point.
You can’t know for sure but you can certainly draw reasonable conclusions, make reasonable predictions, based on the information available at that time. Most all civilized people knew what Trump was before the election: a low class lying con man who destroyed a lot of small businesses. Hell I can’t even remember the timeline anymore of his “grab them by the p****” comment. Was that before the election? I think it was. I’m not buying the free pass, those...people...knew what they were signing up for.

Here's the problem for all the people claiming this is all made up and for @timschochet claims people don't do bad policy on purpose. There is a new report out from DHS itself that says yeah it's all on purpose. Yes the abuses are real and yes we are doing it on purpose as a deterrent. Oh and for all the Obama lap dogs his DHS was part of it as well.

So Trump just ratcheted up what Obama was already doing and all of it was on purpose Tim.
I don't believe this is true. 

Honest question:

There are a combination of laws at work relating to this.   Under our own immigration laws (adopted during the Clinton administration) asylum seekers can be denied and returned to a "safe third country" under international burden-sharing laws that date back to the 50's.  The thing is, we don't recognize Mexico as a safe third country.   We arguably could try to enter an agreement with Mexico designating them as a safe third country, but it would likely violate international law since (1) Mexico isn't safe and (2) their asylum system is more overburdened than ours.   

Mexico deports about 100,000 per year on average, mostly women and children from the Central American triangle.    They grant about 2,000 or so asylum applications per year. 

Costa Rica is currently dealing with about 60,000 pending asylum applications, mostly from Nicaraguan refugees.

Sorry to hear that but the truth doesn't require your belief. DHS laid it all out in a report that was very damning to Trump but it also pointed to similar issues under Obama. Just like Obama took W's drone program and ramped it up Trump ramped up the existing Obama program.

Partially true.   Obama's administration definitely had a deterrent component to its handling of Central American refugees, but it also had some long term solutions, including funding a UN program in Costa Rica before Trump cut off all funding.   

The more I hear about this situation the more awful it sounds. If President Obama deserves some of the blame then let’s give it to him, but let’s also not use that argument to try and somehow excuse President Trump. 

Those of you who have been attacking AOC, you might want to rethink it. I initially supposed that she was engaging in hyperbole, but it appears to be as terrible as she says it is. 

The more I hear about this situation the more awful it sounds. If President Obama deserves some of the blame then let’s give it to him, but let’s also not use that argument to try and somehow excuse President Trump. 

Those of you who have been attacking AOC, you might want to rethink it. I initially supposed that she was engaging in hyperbole, but it appears to be as terrible as she says it is. 
"In that last facility, I was not safe, from the officers. "

Riiiiiiight. 

This thread is a perfect example of confirmation bias. 

Somebody claims to have visited the same facility and that none of the conditions matched what AOC and company describe. Immediately used as proof that the reports we heard are false or It is immediately pointed out that he is biased and a trump supporter so he cant be trusted depending on what side you started on.

Random unknown migrant that is in a detention facility allegedly tells a congressperson something and it is treated like it is was a video recorded event or that it was completely fabricated and that the migrant doesnt exist depending on what side you started on. 

Somebody claims to have visited the same facility and that none of the conditions matched what AOC and company describe. Immediately used as proof that the reports we heard are false or It is immediately pointed out that he is biased and a trump supporter so he cant be trusted depending on what side you started on.

Random unknown migrant that is in a detention facility allegedly tells a congressperson something and it is treated like it is was a video recorded event or that it was completely fabricated and that the migrant doesnt exist depending on what side you started on. 
Office of the Inspector General seems to disagree with you.   

Office of the Inspector General seems to disagree with you.   
Did they say people were drinking out of toilets? 

Didn't they release photos showing tons of water cups and several orange water jugs?

You don't see me arguing that the paces aren't overcrowded and I actually don't think anybody in this thread has argued that either. 

Did they say people were drinking out of toilets? 

Didn't they release photos showing tons of water cups and several orange water jugs?

You don't see me arguing that the paces aren't overcrowded and I actually don't think anybody in this thread has argued that either. 
There are multiple court documents filed that back up AOC's claims.   Confirmation bias, indeed.   

The toilets in question are hybrid toilet/sink units--nobody is talking about the water jugs.  

This was in fact the type of toilet we saw in the cell.

Except there was just one, and the sink portion was not functioning - @AyannaPressley smartly tried to open the faucet, and nothing came out.

So the women were told they could drink out of the bowl. https://twitter.com/dmartosko/status/1145794081660055553 …
This is are exactly the same units and the same conditions that have been and currently are subject to court filings.   

Sure, but aren't you as much a victim of it as anyone else here?

Users who are viewing this thread