What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Says Republicans are running "their little torture project". Agree? (2 Viewers)

Are Republicans intentionally running a "little torture project"?

• Absolutely Yes

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • Probably Yes

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Probably No

Votes: 16 10.2%
  • Absolutely No

Votes: 75 47.8%

• Total voters
This is great...AOC, backed by other members of congress...is making it all up. Same people say absolutely nothing about the mountains of lies from POTUS?  Fo example, have one of them stepped up and said a thing about his recent lie that Obama begged Kim for a meeting?  

BTW:  she likely used a lit of hyperbole and went way over the top here and other times.  Im not a fan of her shoot from the hip mentality...she also isn't my rep and i likely would never vote for her if I were in that area.  but the lack of consistency by some and the comstant attacks are just very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a given that AOC is exaggerating/lying quite a bit. It’s what politicians do. 

I also think it’s a given that conditions down there are awful and steps should be taken to change them. 

She was told about it by some woman (per Para’s account, which I have no reason not to believe.) She didn’t make it up. 

Now @parasaurolophus thinks that because AOC didn’t make this clear in her tweets, and stated it (the toilet drinking) as a fact or something she saw personally rather than something she heard about that this is disingenuous. I’m not sure but I lean in that direction. The toilet drinking doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. Was it forced? Is there a lack of water there? Both seem unlikely and there needs to be a further explanation. 

And fascinating in itself if true. 

Again we are confronted with the chicken or egg theory regarding this woman: is she a political celebrity right now because she represents what a lot of liberals believe? Or because conservatives are paying way too much attention to her? 
I agree with @parasaurolophusbroadly, yes a single, freshman, super-progressive woman from a deep blue district Congressman does not deserve this much attention and draws away from the serious issues at hand and makes it worse with hyperbole, so much so that it's almost an advantage for Republicans. - I probably differ in that alternatively ultimately the GOP promoting her like this constantly will bite them in the ### one day. She's often persuasive IMO.

Just as an example, ok yeah detainees aren't drinking from toilets from what I can tell, but yeah apparently the water spigots aren't working and detainees were told at least once to just drink from the (connected) toilets, supposedly sarcastically but still callously, even cruelly. Just give the people decent living conditions, we treat even POW;'s better.

Just going to re-post this here. Again. 

The posts on the private [Facebook] group, which says it is for current and former Border Patrol agents, included caustic remarks about the deaths of migrants, sexually explicit images edited to include Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and xenophobic asides and comments, according to ProPublica.

---

One commenter talked about starting a fundraising site to support a Border Patrol agent to throw burritos at Ocasio-Cortez and another lawmaker, Rep. Veronica Escobar (D-Tex.), who were part of a Democratic delegation that visited immigration facilities and detention centers in Texas on Monday.

None of them actually saw this they just heard a rumor and ran to the cameras.
I don’t recall anyone saying people were actually drinking out of the toilet.  I recall a story of a woman being told to and the agents laughing.  Is that not what was relayed by AOC?  And Joaquin Castro as well, by the way? 

I was referring to the 100% claim in regards to drinking out of the toilet.  Sorry for the confusion.
Yes, apparently you are confused.  Multiple members of Congress were told by women at the facility that they were told to drink out of toilets.  

Instead of having empathy for people obviously being held in inhumane conditions, your outrage is directed at the person leading the charge to expose this cruelty.  Perhaps time to re-evaluate what’s important?  

"Many people, lots of people, have been saying border agents told prisoners people to drink out of toilets. Many people are saying that. Also, good people, lots of people, are have told me border agents laugh when they are stressed out. Sad situation down there. Border agents have told me that every thing is okay, good people."

Just going to re-post this here. Again. 

The posts on the private [Facebook] group, which says it is for current and former Border Patrol agents, included caustic remarks about the deaths of migrants, sexually explicit images edited to include Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and xenophobic asides and comments, according to ProPublica.

---

One commenter talked about starting a fundraising site to support a Border Patrol agent to throw burritos at Ocasio-Cortez and another lawmaker, Rep. Veronica Escobar (D-Tex.), who were part of a Democratic delegation that visited immigration facilities and detention centers in Texas on Monday.
It's just guys having fun and telling a few jokes.  No big deal.

Except if it's a joke that actually makes people angry.  Then AOC made it up with the help of Julian Castro and the CIA.
If AOC said "while we were visiting a detention facility one of the women told us that she was previously told by a guard to drink out of a toilet" nobody in here would accuse her of making anything up. She would be relaying an account of what somebody told her.  

I didn't take issue with Chu's account of the situation(well maybe the parsed quote, but she explianed herself in her video). It was her video that I saw that made me realize AOC was being very dishonest in her tweets. 

If AOC said "while we were visiting a detention facility one of the women told us that she was previously told by a guard to drink out of a toilet" nobody in here would accuse her of making anything up. She would be relaying an account of what somebody told her.  

I didn't take issue with Chu's account of the situation(well maybe the parsed quote, but she explianed herself in her video). It was her video that I saw that made me realize AOC was being very dishonest in her tweets. 
Dishonesty in tweets is called being transparent.

And do I think detention guards had a special antipathy for Cortez that they did not have for other Congressmen? Yeah, that's possible.
Well sure. There are multiple reasons. 

The most obvious answer is that they probably riled each other up and convinced themselves that she called them nazis. I am sure her constant calls to abolish ICE(an agency they work closely with and probably have lots of friends working for) and the fact that she tried to quash the current bill which of course provides OT pay for them I would also bet really pissed them off.

Then there is the fact that she is a young attractive woman and I would bet that got some misogynistic CBP guys riled up.

Then there is a non-zero chance there are some racist members of CBP as well and I am sure some of them dislike her because of that. 

I obviously cant say any of this definitively and don't want to get trapped @TobiasFunke style here, so I want to make clear I am not speaking about members of this board or making any blanket statements. I am merely stating an opinion based on my interpretation of events and basic assumptions from statistical odds. 

"Officers were keeping women in cells w/ no water & had told them to drink out of the toilets."

"Had told."  How is that dishonest?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/immigration-border-facility-aoc-hispanic

Hispanic pastors tour border facility lambasted by AOC and say they are ‘shocked by misinformation’

Who's lying and who isn't ?

Rev. Samuel Rodriguez was "full of indignation" when he saw the reports and heard from politicians about the deplorable and inhumane conditions for illegal immigrants at an El Paso County, Texas migrant detention center. But what he saw at the same facility toured by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y. with a group of pastors was "drastically different."

The president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference, the world's largest Hispanic Christian organization, and senior pastor of New Seasons Christian Worship Center in Sacramento shared his firsthand experience touring a migrant detention center during a press briefing Monday.

AOC ALLEGEDLY SCREAMS AT FEDS DURING TEXAS VISIT, CLAIMS DETAINEES FORCED TO DRINK OUT OF TOILETS

“I read the reports, saw the news clips. I just wanted to see what was actually happening in order to better enable our efforts to find a fair and a just solution to our broken immigration system," Rodriguez, who has advised President Trump and both Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush on immigration reform, noted. “To my surprise, I saw something drastically different from the stories I’ve been hearing in our national discourse. Even as a veteran of immigration advocacy in the U.S., I was shocked at the misinformation of the crisis at the border."

“We found no soiled diapers, no deplorable conditions and no lack of basic necessities,” Rodriguez remarked, adding he specifically asked border agents if they staged the facility in response to the negative press. “They unequivocally denied it — we were witnessing the identical conditions the attorneys saw when they toured the facility days earlier."

In fact, some told him the sources from whom the negative coverage originated “never toured the areas of the facility that we toured” and speculated they might have had political motivations.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/immigration-border-facility-aoc-hispanic

Hispanic pastors tour border facility lambasted by AOC and say they are ‘shocked by misinformation’

Who's lying and who isn't ?

Rev. Samuel Rodriguez was "full of indignation" when he saw the reports and heard from politicians about the deplorable and inhumane conditions for illegal immigrants at an El Paso County, Texas migrant detention center. But what he saw at the same facility toured by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y. with a group of pastors was "drastically different."

The president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference, the world's largest Hispanic Christian organization, and senior pastor of New Seasons Christian Worship Center in Sacramento shared his firsthand experience touring a migrant detention center during a press briefing Monday.

AOC ALLEGEDLY SCREAMS AT FEDS DURING TEXAS VISIT, CLAIMS DETAINEES FORCED TO DRINK OUT OF TOILETS

“I read the reports, saw the news clips. I just wanted to see what was actually happening in order to better enable our efforts to find a fair and a just solution to our broken immigration system," Rodriguez, who has advised President Trump and both Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush on immigration reform, noted. “To my surprise, I saw something drastically different from the stories I’ve been hearing in our national discourse. Even as a veteran of immigration advocacy in the U.S., I was shocked at the misinformation of the crisis at the border."

“We found no soiled diapers, no deplorable conditions and no lack of basic necessities,” Rodriguez remarked, adding he specifically asked border agents if they staged the facility in response to the negative press. “They unequivocally denied it — we were witnessing the identical conditions the attorneys saw when they toured the facility days earlier."

In fact, some told him the sources from whom the negative coverage originated “never toured the areas of the facility that we toured” and speculated they might have had political motivations.
My goodness. Well, I can't imagine Samuel Rodriguez, the man who delivered the prayer at Donald Trump's inauguration, having political motivations.

She makes comments about the conditions inside the facility but she never went in. 

The Examiner report claims Ocasio-Cortez refused to tour the facility, as well, choosing to stay with a family in a holding area instead. The freshman rep previously tweeted about her visit to border facilities, writing that people of all ages were being mistreated and were "drinking out of toilets" as the guards laughed at the migrants' plight right in front of her.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-border-agents-southern-border

She makes comments about the conditions inside the facility but she never went in. 

The Examiner report claims Ocasio-Cortez refused to tour the facility, as well, choosing to stay with a family in a holding area instead. The freshman rep previously tweeted about her visit to border facilities, writing that people of all ages were being mistreated and were "drinking out of toilets" as the guards laughed at the migrants' plight right in front of her.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-border-agents-southern-border
At which facility?  She went to more than one on the same day.

Yes I think she’s all making it up and I think she’s legit unhinged.  Did you see her hanging out the car?  These attacks on federal law enforcement are outrageous. Just horrifying how awful this person is.
So then I assume you want to see something done about the armed militias that threatened the state legislature in Oregon? Or the Republican state rep who made it clear he would be willing to kill any law enforcement officer who tried to apprehend him?

Here's the problem for all the people claiming this is all made up and for @timschochet claims people don't do bad policy on purpose. There is a new report out from DHS itself that says yeah it's all on purpose. Yes the abuses are real and yes we are doing it on purpose as a deterrent. Oh and for all the Obama lap dogs his DHS was part of it as well.

So Trump just ratcheted up what Obama was already doing and all of it was on purpose Tim.

Here's the problem for all the people claiming this is all made up and for Tim's claims people don't do bad policy on purpose. There is a new report out from DHS itself that says yeah it's all on purpose. Yes the abuses are real and yes we are doing it on purpose as a deterrent. Oh and for all the Obama lap dogs his DHS was part of it as well.

So Trump just ratcheted up what Obama was already doing and all of it was on purpose Tim.
You don't get 9500 members of a Facebook group for a LEO squad of 21000 if the culture that creates the mindset of the 9500 is discouraged.

Users who are viewing this thread