What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Top 5 US Cities to Visit - Exclude Your Own (1 Viewer)

Chattanooga is a great small city. It's progressive with a surprising number of good restaurants, and a ton of outdoor options. Having been raised in ATL, I'd rather live in Chattanooga and visit Atlanta than vice versa.
Except for the smell downtown - couple of times I've been and it gets pretty bad.

Haven't been but would like to see:

Key West

Charleston

San Diego

Phoenix

Dallas metroplex

Honorable mention

Colorado Springs

New Orleans

Houston

EYLive said:
I don't get the love for San Diego. It's probably great to live there, but to visit? Nah.
I lived there for 13 years. It is a great great city to visit. Best zoo in the world. Awesome even if most zoos are gross. Sea World. The best or 2nd best MicroBrew scene on earth. I prefer it to Portland because there's nothing like doing the 78 corridor with a designated driver. World class beaches from Mex to Oceanside. LegoLand. World class Mexican food for peanuts in most strip malls. Perfect weather. Amazing golf. Outstanding deep sea fishing and bass fishing. A week isn't long enough.

I listed five small cities in Hawaii, three on Maui, because that is where I would like to be at the moment. Here's five I have never scene that I want to visit. I exclude Vegas, LA, and SD because I visit them regularly.

New Orleans

Key West 
Seattle

Minneapolis

Santa Fe

And five I would like to revisit

NY

Chicago

Washington DC

San Francisco

Austin

I've got to re-visit Austin. I thought of it as a place that would be good to live in but kind of sucked to visit the time I was there. I like San Antonio heaps more. Austin's rave reviews are going to make me re-add it to the list.

I've got to re-visit Austin. I thought of it as a place that would be good to live in but kind of sucked to visit the time I was there. I like San Antonio heaps more. Austin's rave reviews are going to make me re-add it to the list.
I like living in San Antonio, I like visiting Austin.. and New Braunfels in between.

I've always been more impressed by nature than man-made stuff, so I think it's interesting that there's only one mention of the beautiful Lake Tahoe area.  It's an idyllic year-round playground with some of the best skiing, hiking, cycling, and lake activities in the country. So, my list is my favorite places where civilization meets nature:

Zephyr Cove, NV (Lake Tahoe) - my new home as of my Nov 30th retirement.

Carmel, CA

Manitou Springs, CO

Moab, UT - best mountain biking in the country? and great National Parks

La Jolla

I believe what Jim Morrison said - the west is the best.

Care to elaborate your top10?
1-5 involve the hill country.  Lakes, rivers, creeks, springs, pools, hiking, etc.

The weather.  Great for things like lakes rivers creeks springs pools hiking.

Golf.  Some great hotels and resorts around.

The city itself is beginning to jump the shark slightly (growing too fast imo) - but there is still a lot to offer with the capitol, the school keeps a good vibe, South Congress is still cool imo.  Yes there is good BBQ.  Good food period.

Circuit of the Americas has some big draws.

The downside is the traffic - either the geography or original planners have screwed the town permanently.  Austin is officially the worst town to drive in or through in TX.

I live outside Chicago in the near-west suburb of Oak Park, so I can't count Chicago (our village gets worldwide visitors as we're the location of the Frank Lloyd Wright Home & Studio and a lot of his architecture).   But as my wife and I were walking from Navy Pier to a free concert in Millennium Park one summer night, just as a horse-drawn carriage was passing over the river, I heard a young guy across the street say to his date, "what doesn't this city have?"  That sums up Chicago very well.

5 to visit:

Carmel, CA - love the area/Big Sur coast and the overall 'chill' factor

Nashville - a vibrant city; large enough without being too bad; great part of the country

Austin - I've enjoyed the city on a few occasions and would love to explore the hill country

Charleston - haven't been, but eager to do so

Sante Fe - again, haven't been, but would like to explore the city and area based on what I've heard

And just to add: My wife and I now travel along the much more interesting state highways instead of the interstates.  Sure, it's slower, but the journey is so much better and creates many memories of its own.  (Who knew you can take free boat ferries from southern Illinois over to Kentucky ...and then get enjoyably caught in a post-gathering Amish cart back-up?)  Speaking of being off the interstates, we also discovered 100+ miles of the Natchez Trace Parkway, a federal, 444-mile scenic road that meanders through America's backyard from Natchez, MS to Nashville.  We were very off-season (early January), so no other traffic, but wow, what a wonderful adventure. 

Would've said New Orleans, but I live here. 

• Chicago
  • Nashville
  • Las Vegas
  • New York
For 5th, Key West....but I think it's so awesome b/c apart from the accents and not having to change your cell phone plans, you don't even feel like you're in the US.

On the Canadian front, I'll throw in a nod for Halifax, Nova Scotia - just a really cool town.

Last edited by a moderator:
Santa Fe is a good call.  My wife is from ABQ, and I sometimes think of NM as more home away from home than vacation.  Food there is great, as well as arts and culture.  The city itself is maybe a bit too artsy for me, but if I could extend it a bit outside Santa Fe (to include the surrounding area), Los Alamos is pretty cool too and only about a 40 minute drive away.  There's also Bandelier National Monument and Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks to the west of Santa Fe that are some great spots to walk around.  

And just to add: My wife and I now travel along the much more interesting state highways instead of the interstates.  Sure, it's slower, but the journey is so much better and creates many memories of its own.  (Who knew you can take free boat ferries from southern Illinois over to Kentucky ...and then get enjoyably caught in a post-gathering Amish cart back-up?)  Speaking of being off the interstates, we also discovered 100+ miles of the Natchez Trace Parkway, a federal, 444-mile scenic road that meanders through America's backyard from Natchez, MS to Nashville.  We were very off-season (early January), so no other traffic, but wow, what a wonderful adventure. 
Natchez Trace is awesome.  In another thread, somebody had Mississippi as the 50th ranked state and I defended it.  I should have included this in my defense.  What a great slice of Americana.  :thumbup:

Honorable Mention: any port of call city from an Alaskan cruise; Juneau probably the biggest option.  It’s been 8 years since my honeymoon cruise there and I long to go back, just the most beautiful scenery I’ve witnessed 

Natchez Trace is awesome.  In another thread, somebody had Mississippi as the 50th ranked state and I defended it.  I should have included this in my defense.  What a great slice of Americana.  :thumbup:
I think that was me and I only ranked them 50th because I couldn't put them any lower.  ;)

in no particular order

Nashville  - I'm stunned at the lack of love for this city.  The music scene in fantastic...and I don't like country music all the much.  Such as cool city

San Diego - Great city with perfect weather

Chicago - In the summertime is a fantastic place to visit.

Lahaina - Cool little beach town on my favorite place in the world...Maui

Hayward WI - Not the town so but all the lakes in the area.  Summertime at the cabin in the upper Midwest is such a fantastic place to be. Hayward is very close to the lake we spent many a summer evening fishing, water skiing, having cocktails on the pontoon boat.  Remembering those times and looking forward to more help we get through the craptastic WI winters.
Great for lake shaving

i noticed you did not list milwaukee which is algonquin for the good land but it ok we can still be brohans and i forgive you take that to the bank bromigo

I can add my limited perspective...  never been to CA so that is not for me to judge.  

1) New Orleans - fantastic food, drinks, music, and people (I have visited 5 times -  3 Mardi Gras, 1 for work convention in summer and 1 Halloween [only 1x since Katrina]). 

2) Charleston - historic buildings are amazing; music, food, and "Southern Hospitality" on display in full view here 

3) New York - nothing like Time Square at night.  Place is amazing.  If not so overpriced, would be higher for me. 

4) Washington, DC/Baltimore - other than the traffic, this area is a great area: Museums, Aquarium, Zoo, Gov't landmarks. 

5) Albuquerque -  wonderful place to tour, dine, and sight-see: hot air balloons, scenery, night sky! 

Honorable Mention:  Boone, NC - rustic area with amazing mountain views and great people

Omitted place I have visited > 1x:  Houston, Chicago, Philadelphia (from there), Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham area (live now), Detroit, Knoxville, Memphis, Richmond, Columbia, Tallahassee, Miami, Orlando, Savannah, Atlanta, Boston, Buffalo. 

Chattanooga is a great small city. It's progressive with a surprising number of good restaurants, and a ton of outdoor options. Having been raised in ATL, I'd rather live in Chattanooga and visit Atlanta than vice versa.
It’s actually a great place to take the family.  We stopped for a day on the way home from Florida.  Great aquarium and riverfront area.  Kids loved it.  

San Diego is definitely #1 for me.   Awesome weather and plenty to do.
Home town.  I’m spoiled having grown up here so not many places can compare.  

Austin is super fun.  Actually has a very San Diego vibe

New Orleans.  Super unique.  

San Francisco.  Great city.  Awesome food.  

Lake Tahoe.  Most beautiful place on the planet 

I look at it at what city would I want to visit for 3-4 days 

NYC - just love the energy, cultural offerings, food

New Orleans - unreal food and music. Great to pair with Saints game or music festival.

San Francisco - food, theater, Alcatraz, Muir Woods

Chicago - love the people and sense of community. Parks. museums, restaurants, Second City

Nashville - I prefer it over Austin.  More work to do on the food front though 

Next up are Las Vegas, San Diego (headed to Del Mar in a few weeks), Boston, Austin, Portland, Scottsdale. No real surprises. 

I've always been more impressed by nature than man-made stuff, so I think it's interesting that there's only one mention of the beautiful Lake Tahoe area.  It's an idyllic year-round playground with some of the best skiing, hiking, cycling, and lake activities in the country. So, my list is my favorite places where civilization meets nature:

Zephyr Cove, NV (Lake Tahoe) - my new home as of my Nov 30th retirement.

Carmel, CA

Manitou Springs, CO

Moab, UT - best mountain biking in the country? and great National Parks

La Jolla

I believe what Jim Morrison said - the west is the best.
Tahoe is bar none one of my favorite places all time (for all the reasons you list).  Will be out on the lake tomorrow cruising around Emerald Bay and Zephyr Cove!  Congrats on the retirement, no better place to do it imo!

I concur, but the bottom tier of sucky states are pretty much interchangeable. What's better about Kansas or Iowa? 
Mississippi at least touches the coast, which I think is an upgrade to states like Kansas or Iowa that don't.  Plus, depending on where you live (let's use Jackson here) you're a 3 hour drive to New Orleans going south and 3 hours from Memphis going north. What cool cities are you 3 hours from in, say, the Dakotas or Nebraska?  

And, there's no way Kansas or Iowa has anything remotely cool or as pretty as the Natchez Trace.  

The poverty, crime, politics, ignorance, racism and suffering summers drag Ms down, but I'd live there before both Kansas and Iowa.

Anyone bashing the Dakotas needs to spend some time in the Black Hills and Badlands region of SD, and Medora and Teddy Roosevelt National Park in ND.

Tahoe is bar none one of my favorite places all time (for all the reasons you list).  Will be out on the lake tomorrow cruising around Emerald Bay and Zephyr Cove!  Congrats on the retirement, no better place to do it imo!
Thanks!  I almost have to laugh when people ask me if I think I might miss working or what I will do with all my free time ⛷️🚴‍♂️🧗‍♂️🚣‍♂️.  And sorry kids if I end up spending too much of your inheritance 🥂🎲

Users who are viewing this thread