What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jarrett Stidham, DEN (2 Viewers)

People really don’t fully understand how drafting actually plays out. The huge majority of draft picks don’t pan out. The majority of QBs never stick in the league and many that do become career backups. 
That's sort of my point. So why are you arguing with me?

Huge vote of confidence tonight
Yup, final hurdle for me was Hurts...I pray to God they bring in another legit prospect like Fromm, Eason or the kid from Oregon State so there is a little bit of a Plan B but it looks like the Stidham era is officially here...no big deal, just the future of the franchise on the line here...if he is legit their rebuilding process is 1,000,000 times easier...if not they have a chance to really struggle for a few years...In Bill we Trust!

Yup, final hurdle for me was Hurts...I pray to God they bring in another legit prospect like Fromm, Eason or the kid from Oregon State so there is a little bit of a Plan B but it looks like the Stidham era is officially here...no big deal, just the future of the franchise on the line here...if he is legit their rebuilding process is 1,000,000 times easier...if not they have a chance to really struggle for a few years...In Bill we Trust!
If they trade into the 4th for a QB, or take one in round 5... is that any better than "just a 4th round 2nd year QB in Stidham"? 

It was clear when they ran away from Jordan Love that they had no intent on drafting a QB

At this point I am thankful for my stubbornness on this player. It looks like itll pay off for 2020 at least as an emergency #3 QB, which is all I'm looking for right now. I do think he will be a solid young QB asset this time next year. And when NE loads him up with talent with their cap relief his value will sky rocket

Last edited by a moderator:
If they trade into the 4th for a QB, or take one in round 5... is that any better than "just a 4th round 2nd year QB in Stidham"? 

It was clear when they ran away from Jordan Love that they had no intent on drafting a QB
I hope they do it but I don't see that as a negative towards Stidham...IMO what has gone on now (and I am assuming no legit FA is coming) seals the deal...they had the kid for a year and they are comfortable going with him...doesn't mean a guy like Eason can't come in and look great but no way are they counting on that...also, with only Hoyer as a backup (who I believe is totally unqualified to be a starter right now) they need another backup for the next few years...I believe Hoyer is here to be the veteran influence in the room but if they have to play him for an extended period of time it won't be good.

wouldn't shock me that Cam ends up in NE on a prove it deal, not sure of the cap situation. 
NE has quite literally 1 mil or so in cap space. IMO its one reason they traded out of round 1 

That's why these rumors are a joke. Unless these guys want to play for the league minimum

NE has quite literally 1 mil or so in cap space. IMO its one reason they traded out of round 1 
Also Thuney is still on the team...I am sure there are other ways to do it but it appears if they want to clear cap space for the short term it's gonna come from dealing him....on the flip-side this team has big question marks on the line and dealing Thuney would create a monster hole...if you are gonna develop a young QB keeping him upright is really important.

wouldn't shock me that Cam ends up in NE on a prove it deal, not sure of the cap situation. 
NE has $1 million in cap space. They need $9 million in additional cap room to sign their draft picks. The Patriots will not be signing or trading for anyone until they fix their cap situation. Which will be in 2021. At that point, either Stidham will have showed promise or they decide to move on. And I don’t believe BB views Cam as the prototypical NE QB anyway. Bill likes his accurate pocket passers. 

At this point I am thankful for my stubbornness on this player. It looks like itll pay off for 2020 at least as an emergency #3 QB, which is all I'm looking for right now. I do think he will be a solid young QB asset this time next year. And when NE loads him up with talent with their cap relief his value will sky rocket
I'd be happy with that. I'd look quite similar to what the Broncos seem to have done with Lock. Now just need Stidham to show some promise this year in a long audition.

I'd be happy with that. I'd look quite similar to what the Broncos seem to have done with Lock. Now just need Stidham to show some promise this year in a long audition.
Definitely up to him at this point to put up or shut up

ETA: Just took a Kicker over Fromm/QB... With every pick it's clear how much faith they have in him

Definitely up to him at this point to put up or shut up

ETA: Just took a Kicker over Fromm/QB... With every pick it's clear how much faith they have in him
Either this or they have somehow planned to fix their cap situation and sign Cam / trade for Dalton.

yeah, BB hasnt & wont move on to another QB because he cant. the last chance fell thru when no one would take Thuney and now there's just no dough. he wouldnt want the 2 big FA QBs anyway because its been a long time since either of em listened to a coach and now he cant even afford Dalton. he likes Stidham because Stidham surprised him in camp last summer. he's got a lot of presence and enough skill to run a team, so he offloaded Hoyer before the season. then Stidham had a mistake-filled final exhib, so then he wasnt so sure, but now he knows that Stidham aint gonna benefit as much from a battle v  Fromm or Rosen as he would from being the boy from the start, so he'll try to get a Cassel season out of him til next year, when he can afford answers and, if he shows worthy, he'll be spending on a QB for 3 yrs what he thinks QBs are ultimately worth

How much of BB's thought process is simply that he made a 6th round pick into the GOAT, so he'll just do it with stidham?

yeah, BB hasnt & wont move on to another QB because he cant. the last chance fell thru when no one would take Thuney and now there's just no dough. he wouldnt want the 2 big FA QBs anyway because its been a long time since either of em listened to a coach and now he cant even afford Dalton. he likes Stidham because Stidham surprised him in camp last summer. he's got a lot of presence and enough skill to run a team, so he offloaded Hoyer before the season. then Stidham had a mistake-filled final exhib, so then he wasnt so sure, but now he knows that Stidham aint gonna benefit as much from a battle v  Fromm or Rosen as he would from being the boy from the start, so he'll try to get a Cassel season out of him til next year, when he can afford answers and, if he shows worthy, he'll be spending on a QB for 3 yrs what he thinks QBs are ultimately worth
The sooner people realize BB CHOSE to go with Stidham, the sooner people can start accepting that this was not an accident, forced, or out of desperation. If BB wanted someone else at QB, there would be someone else at QB. Brady didn’t leave NE. He was shown the door. BB knew Winston, Newton, and Dalton would be available. They had the cap room to pay any of them. He CHOSE to use the money elsewhere. 

While Stidham to outsiders appears totally unproven, I am sure internally the Pats have seen plenty from him in practice. Yes, his in game experience is close to invisible and he has proven nothing. Yes, there is more risk for any team in starting someone without starting experience. Sure, he could flop. But so could a veteran in NE. And so could a 43 year old QB. 

Maybe BB will make some moves and sign  a free agent (I include Dalton here once he gets cut). But that is getting more and more unlikely. 

Either Stidham works out or at least shows promise or they can revisit the QB situation again next year. There will be options in the draft next year and free agent QBs available to choose from as well (but they should have tons of money to buy one if they so choose).

How much of BB's thought process is simply that he made a 6th round pick into the GOAT, so he'll just do it with stidham?
I doubt it - BB hit the lotto with Brady. He also thought Todd Philcox was the next Otto Graham.

Brady didn’t leave NE. He was shown the door
I disagree with this. If Brady had asked to stay, he would have been accommodated. Pretty sure both sides are glad he didn't. That does not mean BB thought Stidham was the answer. Coach thinks he could be an answer, and at a price which allows him to keep some players he might want to keep. Never thought they'd shop, except maybe Rosen, cuz Stidham has apparently answered enough questions along the way for me to think that's who BB was going with if TB12 left.

I disagree with this. If Brady had asked to stay, he would have been accommodated. Pretty sure both sides are glad he didn't. That does not mean BB thought Stidham was the answer. Coach thinks he could be an answer, and at a price which allows him to keep some players he might want to keep. Never thought they'd shop, except maybe Rosen, but Stidham has apparently answered enough questions along the way for me to think that's who BB was going with if TB12 left.
Dead on.

I disagree with this. If Brady had asked to stay, he would have been accommodated. Pretty sure both sides are glad he didn't. That does not mean BB thought Stidham was the answer. Coach thinks he could be an answer, and at a price which allows him to keep some players he might want to keep. Never thought they'd shop, except maybe Rosen, but Stidham has apparently answered enough questions along the way for me to think that's who BB was going with if TB12 left.
Brady wanted X amount of dollars. BB felt he was worth X/2 or whatever amount he deemed worthy of paying. From his actions, BB has shown that he didn’t want to pay Brady more money, didn’t want to go more than a year at a time, and didn’t want to guarantee money to a 44 year old QB. (That’s what Tampa has to do.)

BB came to the conclusion that the production he would be getting from Tom was not worth what he would have to pay. That part is pretty clear. All the stuff about weapons is secondary. We may never know the actual numbers discussed over the past few years, but I did hear talk a while ago suggesting NE wanted to pay Brady less not more. Some speculated it was close to the $15 million he was due last year before the raise. 

So sure, if Brady asked to come back and he wanted to play for one year and $15 million or so with the same team issues and baggage as always, he would have been back. IMO, that essentially is on par as NE not really wanting him back, even if TB ultimately decided to leave. 

What we do know is that BB appears to have picked Stidham over Brady, Newton, Winston, Dalton, Rivers, Bridgewater, Mariota, Tannehill, Love, Hurts, Eason, and Fromm. Those were all players who were available and they did not bring in. Yeah, some of those really weren’t realistic options, but they were available. That doesn’t mean Stidham will amount to anything, but that’s who BB has passed over to give him a shot. 

You may be too young for the reference, but Jarrett Stidham is Tippi Hedren. Hitchcock thought actors were cattle unto his vision, all blondes are the same, cool blondes are special. Because cool blondes eventually become hot blondes they grow to be less grateful & cooperative than Hitchcock wants em to be. Grace Kelly, Kim Novak, Janet Leigh were stars he made shine, they owe me but wont pay tribute. Gotta find me a cool blonde who works for scale and will let me hack her up in a shower or have birds peck her eyes out and come back for more. Tippi Hedren - that's the ticket!

You may be too young for the reference, but Jarrett Stidham is Tippi Hedren. Hitchcock thought actors were cattle unto his vision, all blondes are the same, cool blondes are special. Because cool blondes eventually become hot blondes they grow to be less grateful & cooperative than Hitchcock wants em to be. Grace Kelly, Kim Novak, Janet Leigh were stars he made shine, they owe me but wont pay tribute. Gotta find me a cool blonde who works for scale and will let me hack her up in a shower or have birds peck her eyes out and come back for more. Tippi Hedren - that's the ticket!
Wow...and the odd part is I understood everything you wrote here.

Starting to get interesting...Caserio is on record that they are bringing in a third QB...just used their three #6's and only have one more pick left...the plot thickens.

Not sure that's accurate b/c NE has no cap space...
NE had the cap space. If they wanted a free agent QB, they could have had one. But they franchised G Joe Thuney for about $15 million and extended S Devin McCourty to a $12.5 million a year deal. They had the money to pursue any of the free agent QBs instead of keeping those two players. That’s what I have said about a half dozen times now. They chose other players over a veteran QB. 

They are...but unfortunately they usually aren't realistic options as an NFL QB.
Kurt Warner, Warren Moon, Tony Romo, Jeff Garcia, Jake Delhomme, Jon Kitna, and Dave Kreig would likely disagree with you.

Yeah, I get that it’s unlikely an UFDA has more than a prayer to stick on a roster, but for NE to be able to sign their draft picks they will need to find $7 million in cap space. Where they can find that is one thing. Where to find even more for a free agent QB will be even more challenging. 

Kurt Warner, Warren Moon, Tony Romo, Jeff Garcia, Jake Delhomme, Jon Kitna, and Dave Kreig would likely disagree with you.

Yeah, I get that it’s unlikely an UFDA has more than a prayer to stick on a roster, but for NE to be able to sign their draft picks they will need to find $7 million in cap space. Where they can find that is one thing. Where to find even more for a free agent QB will be even more challenging. 
If their answer to a third QB is a UDFA or a 7th round pick I will not be happy, in-fact I think it is irresponsible...I am totally good with going with Stidham but to not add another "legit" prospect is just stupid...if Stidham turns out to not be the answer and you don't have at least another potential shot at figuring out this position you could put yourself into a very bad corner next off-season.

If their answer to a third QB is a UDFA or a 7th round pick I will not be happy, in-fact I think it is irresponsible...I am totally good with going with Stidham but to not add another "legit" prospect is just stupid...if Stidham turns out to not be the answer and you don't have at least another potential shot at figuring out this position you could put yourself into a very bad corner next off-season.
Hey, I am not disagreeing with you. But show me a road map and a financial path to add someone other than a 7th rounder or an UDFA. I’m all ears. 

Short of moving Thuney (or someone pricey), I don’t see a clear way to do it. And it’s kinda too late to trade Thuney. 

Warner, Moon, and Garcia all had the benefit of honing their skills in other leagues prior to playing in the NFL.

Hey, I am not disagreeing with you. But show me a road map and a financial path to add someone other than a 7th rounder or an UDFA. I’m all ears. 

Short of moving Thuney (or someone pricey), I don’t see a clear way to do it. And it’s kinda too late to trade Thuney. 
At this point there probably is not one...their time to do it was earlier in the draft and they just used their last pick and that was not a QB as well...I hope this Stidham kid is ready...he is not only replacing Brady but if he fails this team could take a huge step backwards this year...there is no plan B right now.

At this point there probably is not one...their time to do it was earlier in the draft and they just used their last pick and that was not a QB as well...I hope this Stidham kid is ready...he is not only replacing Brady but if he fails this team could take a huge step backwards this year...there is no plan B right now.
If Stidham was the exact same player, but NE used a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him, would you feel different? 

I think he'll be ready to pay sufficiently to not embarrass BB. but this is a building year. 

Their defense is probably too good to land too high a pick even if stidham stinks. 

There is a Plan B. It’s just not clear to us. And it may not be as difficult as we are making it to be. They can sign Thuney to a long term deal. Get Gilmore to convert salary to bonus money. Ask Hightower to take a haircut. Get granted relief from Antonio Brown. If I had to guess, Plan B is to pick up Brissett when the Colts invariably release him. Plan C would be Dalton once he is released but for cheap and as a backup. 

There is a Plan B. It’s just not clear to us. And it may not be as difficult as we are making it to be. They can sign Thuney to a long term deal. Get Gilmore to convert salary to bonus money. Ask Hightower to take a haircut. Get granted relief from Antonio Brown. If I had to guess, Plan B is to pick up Brissett when the Colts invariably release him. Plan C would be Dalton once he is released but for cheap and as a backup. 
I suppose he could sell his hair, but I'm not sure how much that would really help the cap... 

If they do that then I am fine short-term...still would have liked to add another legit prospect as well because if Stidham is not the answer and you add one of these other guys you are still gonna need a long-term fix...on another note...if you look at their history they are all about competition...right now Stidham has absolutely no competition...that is very un-Patriotesque...if you follow that line of thinking as you note someone else is gonna be added.

Not sure what the question is...I am good with Stidham...I just wanted them to add another legit prospect.
I mean, I look at teams like Denver which gave the reins to Lock, who did play last year but didn't show a whole lot. He was a 2nd round pick, but no one is expecting them to bring in a legit prospect. 

I think people get hung up on Stidham's draft capital. Which I get, that does matter, but if NE over-drafted him in round 3 or even 2, I don't think people are as worried about him being Plan A and Hoyer Plan B as they are since he is a 4th round pick. 

If I were a NE fan, which I am now becoming one with Brady gone, I would trust BB since he has quite literally almost never let that fan base down. I'm actually quite surprised given the level of success NE has had with BB that there is any doubting or frustration with the QB position. 

Users who are viewing this thread