What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jarrett Stidham, DEN (2 Viewers)

With the noise that Detroit is trying to trade Stafford, has anyone considered Brady to Detroit?  He could step right in and possibly compete for a SB immediately with the talent on that team.  
Ah, no. 

The only team which Brady could reasonably sign with (meaning they could consider him as a starter) and get to the super bowl is Tennessee. 

Ah, no. 

The only team which Brady could reasonably sign with (meaning they could consider him as a starter) and get to the super bowl is Tennessee. 
Can't say that I agree with this. Tannehill had a 117.5 passer rating this year and the Titans went 7-3 in the regular season and 2-1 in the post season. How realistic is it for Brady to be anywhere near as efficient as Tannehill was this year? At this stage, could TB12 average 10.2 ypa? That would be 1.6 yards per attempt better than his career best. IMO, Brady would not be an upgrade for the Titans, so I don't see them getting to the SB with or without Brady.

Can't say that I agree with this. Tannehill had a 117.5 passer rating this year and the Titans went 7-3 in the regular season and 2-1 in the post season. How realistic is it for Brady to be anywhere near as efficient as Tannehill was this year? At this stage, could TB12 average 10.2 ypa? That would be 1.6 yards per attempt better than his career best. IMO, Brady would not be an upgrade for the Titans, so I don't see them getting to the SB with or without Brady.
Oh, I'm not saying they'd be a lock, but simply they'd be his best option. 

The high profile FA tight ends are Hooper and Henry. That alone will make them pretty costly. Green was making $15 million a year. I am guessing he won’t come cheaply. And rookie receivers have historically done very little in Year 1 in NE. They have several in house free agents to sign besides Brady, so they will have to get very creative in order to both keep the guys they have and/or bring in new playmakers. 
Green has been hurt for two years.  He should command a lot less than $15M.

I was not trying to say it was likely that Brady would land in Detroit.  I personally think he isn't going anywhere.

But if he were going somewhere, I would think he would go where they run the same scheme.  That means Tennessee or Detroit.  I get Stafford healthy is better than Brady without any wide receivers.  But do we know what Stafford's health is? Matt Patricia has 1 year to make it work there.  I am not so sure Brady would not help with Patricia installing the "Patriot Way" in Detroit. 

But I don't personally think he is going there.  I think he stays in NE. 

I was not trying to say it was likely that Brady would land in Detroit.  I personally think he isn't going anywhere.

But if he were going somewhere, I would think he would go where they run the same scheme.  That means Tennessee or Detroit.  I get Stafford healthy is better than Brady without any wide receivers.  But do we know what Stafford's health is? Matt Patricia has 1 year to make it work there.  I am not so sure Brady would not help with Patricia installing the "Patriot Way" in Detroit. 

But I don't personally think he is going there.  I think he stays in NE. 
TEN is loaded compared to Detroit. The Lions don’t have anywhere near the surrounding talent to be a consideration for Brady. I could see TEN....makes sense if Tom wants to leave NE.

TEN is loaded compared to Detroit. The Lions don’t have anywhere near the surrounding talent to be a consideration for Brady. I could see TEN....makes sense if Tom wants to leave NE.
Detroit has a tougher division and had injuries last year.  Healthy, they have very good talent at the skill positions (especially TE).  To me, all they really need is maybe a couple offensive linemen, maybe a DB or two.  But Detroit is not bare of talent.  

But, again, I don't think he is going there. 

NE has practically no cap room. So the starter will either by Stidham or a drafted rookie. Without multiple other cap saving maneuvers, they can’t take on even a mid level starter’s salary at QB.

NE signs Hoyer. That is a vote of confidence if I ever saw one. Stidham's job to lose at this point. 
Agree 100%

He was 3rd/4th on a lot of lists last year before New England quietly took him in the 4th. I know that's hard for some to believe but this kid landed in the right spot and got to watch Brady for 1 year. Coach BB said he was running practice a lot during the season because Tom couldn't practice much of the year due to injury, sure I remember him saying something close to that. 

Stidham should have a decent OL, but his weapons leave alot to be desired.  Say what you will about Brady losing a step, but his biggest dip came in the form of TD% and YPA.  Never before had Tom been below 4%, and you have to go back to 2002 to find a lower YPA.  Tom was throwing alot (behind only Winston, Goff, and Ryan), but he obviously only trusted Edelman and White.  Who will Stidham grow to trust?

Stidham should have a decent OL, but his weapons leave alot to be desired.  Say what you will about Brady losing a step, but his biggest dip came in the form of TD% and YPA.  Never before had Tom been below 4%, and you have to go back to 2002 to find a lower YPA.  Tom was throwing alot (behind only Winston, Goff, and Ryan), but he obviously only trusted Edelman and White.  Who will Stidham grow to trust?
fellow 2019 classmate, Harry.

They also still have Sanu who seemed thrown in last year. Edelman and White are still there. The cupboard isn't bare. 

Last edited by a moderator:
fellow 2019 classmate, Harry.

They also still have Sanu who seemed thrown in last year. Edelman and White are still there. The cupboard isn't bare. 
And Stidham had a connection with Jacobi Meyers when Meyers put up filthy numbers. Stidham took a ton of preseason snaps last year, played a bunch in joint practices and preseason games, and is said to have gotten a lot of practice time with TB taking Wednesday’s off and missing other times when he was hurt. 

I’ve already taken flack for suggesting that TB maybe wasn’t a great teammate last year, but if he had been trying to get out of town for three years, it would not be out of line to maybe wonder if TB’s heart wasn’t totally in it last year. 

I don’t think it would be crazy to wonder if Stidham might be more willing to work with the guys Brady wasn’t that interested in working with last year, especially if TB knew he was leaving. 

It doesn’t mean Stidham will do better than Brady did last year, but it may not be as bleak a situation as some are making it out to be. 

And as I mentioned earlier, they have $114 million in cap space for 2021 and should have a ton of draft picks then as well. 

Anarchy99 said:
And Stidham had a connection with Jacobi Meyers when Meyers put up filthy numbers. Stidham took a ton of preseason snaps last year, played a bunch in joint practices and preseason games, and is said to have gotten a lot of practice time with TB taking Wednesday’s off and missing other times when he was hurt. 

I’ve already taken flack for suggesting that TB maybe wasn’t a great teammate last year, but if he had been trying to get out of town for three years, it would not be out of line to maybe wonder if TB’s heart wasn’t totally in it last year. 

I don’t think it would be crazy to wonder if Stidham might be more willing to work with the guys Brady wasn’t that interested in working with last year, especially if TB knew he was leaving. 

It doesn’t mean Stidham will do better than Brady did last year, but it may not be as bleak a situation as some are making it out to be. 

And as I mentioned earlier, they have $114 million in cap space for 2021 and should have a ton of draft picks then as well. 
Thanks for your insight there and I see it was a plausible situation as you've laid out. 

With regards to the bolded- They're in a win-win situation. Give Stidham a go, if he works out then you got your guy. If not then you're in a potential position for Trevor Lawrence. and you have a ton of cap to rework the team in a hurry

With regards to the bolded- They're in a win-win situation. Give Stidham a go, if he works out then you got your guy. If not then you're in a potential position for Trevor Lawrence. and you have a ton of cap to rework the team in a hurry
While nothing is impossible, even if Stidham is terrible - the Pats could win at least 6 games with Hoyer playing in their system and with their above average defense. I don't see Belichick going into tank mode even if they got off to a slow start.

I also think Hoyer was just a desperation "just in case" grab, and I'd still expect the Patriots to explore other options before the season starts.

While nothing is impossible, even if Stidham is terrible - the Pats could win at least 6 games with Hoyer playing in their system and with their above average defense. I don't see Belichick going into tank mode even if they got off to a slow start.

I also think Hoyer was just a desperation "just in case" grab, and I'd still expect the Patriots to explore other options before the season starts.
Hoyer will almost be another Assistant Coach...he is well versed in their world and is a highly respected player who is well liked...if they bring in a rookie as well he will be a good guy to help with the youngsters...that being said I hope he never sees the field.

Hoyer will almost be another Assistant Coach...he is well versed in their world and is a highly respected player who is well liked...if they bring in a rookie as well he will be a good guy to help with the youngsters...that being said I hope he never sees the field.
Hoyer to me is a de facto QB coach and in case of emergency break glass option. His value is knowing their system. He’s not competing to start. With Hoyer back, I don’t see the value of keeping Cody Kessler. How serious NE is in riding with Stidham will be revealed in the draft. If they grab a QB in the first round then we will know that they doubt Stidham is the guy. I’m actually surprised Tampa didn’t make a play for Hoyer (they probably will draft another QB instead).

Hoyer to me is a de facto QB coach and in case of emergency break glass option. His value is knowing their system. He’s not competing to start. With Hoyer back, I don’t see the value of keeping Cody Kessler. How serious NE is in riding with Stidham will be revealed in the draft. If they grab a QB in the first round then we will know that they doubt Stidham is the guy. I’m actually surprised Tampa didn’t make a play for Hoyer (they probably will draft another QB instead).
The value in Kessler will probably be competition in camp.

One area that will be real interesting to watch is young WRs with the Pats...Brady was incredibly unforgiving with rookie WRs (and new veterans as well) and it was real difficult for them to get comfortable the second he had any doubt...will be interesting to see how they build their WR unit the next few years...with Brady gone they could look to the draft more then they have in the past...overall it would go along way if Harry progresses this year...if he plays like a first round pick and Meyers proves he can be counted on that would go a long way towards the future of this unit as Edelman is not getting any younger and Sanu's deal is up after this year.

The only alternative I see is them drafting a rookie who doesn't know the system and would take time to develop. And by the time their 1st rolls around the best qbs will be off the board, so anyone left is unlikely to be a better option than a year seasoned stidham. 

I could see them bringing in some late round pick. Maybe a guy like James Morgan, who I also like a lot. 

The value in Kessler will probably be competition in camp.
Competition for what? Fourth string QB? If Bill is Bill, he will take a guy in the middle rounds to see what he has to offer. Maybe the kid from Florida International (James Morgan). If the competition is between Kessler and Hoyer on who babysits the kids, ok. But I doubt either one of them is anything but a clipboard holder unless they really have no other choice. 

The only alternative I see is them drafting a rookie who doesn't know the system and would take time to develop. And by the time their 1st rolls around the best qbs will be off the board, so anyone left is unlikely to be a better option than a year seasoned stidham. 

I could see them bringing in some late round pick. Maybe a guy like James Morgan, who I also like a lot. 
Lol. Great minds think alike. 

Here is the x-factor in all of this...how much do they change their system?  If anyone says they know the answer to this they are lying...the Pats system was a system designed around Brady and everyone knows what his strengths and weaknesses were...with him gone I would guess it has to change in some way, whether it is subtle or dramatic is the question...I have brought this up before but when McDaniels took over Denver he used a #1 on Tebow and gave him every opportunity to succeed...obviously that did not work but fast-forward to today and the NFL is much more suited for a dual-threat QB...gonna be real fascinating to see how this plays out.

Competition for what? Fourth string QB? If Bill is Bill, he will take a guy in the middle rounds to see what he has to offer. Maybe the kid from Florida International (James Morgan). If the competition is between Kessler and Hoyer on who babysits the kids, ok. But I doubt either one of them is anything but a clipboard holder unless they really have no other choice. 
So you think BB is just gonna tell Stidham and a rookie (especially if it is not a high pick) they have a job and don't have to even worry...just show up to camp and you are good...that is not his style...who knows what he sees in Kessler...probably not much but if you remember this whole Dynasty started the year he brought in a ton of no-names that looked like camp fodder and they went on to win a Title...Kessler is a long shot but we are in a new world and anyone that shows up to camp this year is there for some reason.

So you think BB is just gonna tell Stidham and a rookie (especially if it is not a high pick) they have a job and don't have to even worry...just show up to camp and you are good...that is not his style...who knows what he sees in Kessler...probably not much but if you remember this whole Dynasty started the year he brought in a ton of no-names that looked like camp fodder and they went on to win a Title...Kessler is a long shot but we are in a new world and anyone that shows up to camp this year is there for some reason.
We’ll see who actually ends up on the actual roster. Maybe they keep Kessler around for training camp, but he can be cut with no cap hit. He would likely be the most likely guy not to survive.

If they had faith in Kessler, I doubt they would have brought in Hoyer. Now down to $4 million in cap space, so other FA starting QB options essentially not even worth discussing unless they trade or cut someone big. 

Here is the x-factor in all of this...how much do they change their system?  If anyone says they know the answer to this they are lying...the Pats system was a system designed around Brady and everyone knows what his strengths and weaknesses were...with him gone I would guess it has to change in some way, whether it is subtle or dramatic is the question...I have brought this up before but when McDaniels took over Denver he used a #1 on Tebow and gave him every opportunity to succeed...obviously that did not work but fast-forward to today and the NFL is much more suited for a dual-threat QB...gonna be real fascinating to see how this plays out.
IMO this isnt so much changing the system as it is the play calling. It's not like Stidham is a running QB like Murray or Lamar... or a gadget QB like Taysom Hill and Tebow... and Brady certainly wasn't dual threat. Stidham is a classic QB in a system that allows for a classic QB to succeed. He will have more scramble abilities than Brady did, but I dont think that changes the system much, if at all. 

IMO this isnt so much changing the system as it is the play calling. It's not like Stidham is a running QB like Murray or Lamar... or a gadget QB like Taysom Hill and Tebow... and Brady certainly wasn't dual threat. Stidham is a classic QB in a system that allows for a classic QB to succeed. He will have more scramble abilities than Brady did, but I dont think that changes the system much, if at all. 
We will see...I do think you will see a big difference but no one knows until the season starts so it is kind of a moot point until then.

We will see...I do think you will see a big difference but no one knows until the season starts so it is kind of a moot point until then.
Clearly no one knows, probably not even the Patriots. But if we are to believe BB, the biggest single person that impacted the NE offensive scheme was Randy Moss (which I have described in other threads). He got them to adapt hot reads and is said to have quadrupled their play book.

By the end, through a combination of Brady having some limitations and the limited personnel groupings to put on the field, I am sure there were many plays the Patriots did not run last year. And I agree that with different players with different strengths, they will install new packages and some new wrinkles. We are a long way away from football in a typical season (it would be about 6 months to opening day). Who knows how the virus will impact things and how much teams will be able to practice. But it will be must see TV in terms of what the NE offense will look like. They could come out with the same old, same old . . . or something entirely different. Whether it works out or not, it will be fascinating to watch.

Remember, when NE brought in the debacle known as Antonio Brown, Stidham was staying until 10 PM or later night after night, working with AB on plays and catching passes. It wasn't Brady bringing Brown up to speed . . . it was Stidham. By all accounts, Stidham has a strong work ethic and has been doing all the right things to get ramped up on the NE offense. No one at this point can tell if he can play, but he has been taking all the right steps to be in position to be able to succeed.

That said, it's hard to believe that NE is gong to trust the dynamic duo of Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer. They have a late round pick and not tons of draft capital to trade up to nab one of the more top prospect rookie QBs -- they have a boatload of compensatory picks, something like 3 3rd round picks, 4 6th round picks, and 3 7th round picks, but I can't see a team trading down for a second and multiple late round picks. 

QB position is going to be mighty interesting in NE this year.
Moved here

Would you still feel that way if Stidham were a 1st, 2nd, or even a 3rd round pick?

IMHO NE is in rebuild for this yr and will have oodles of cap space next yr so why wouldn't they go with Stidham? What little NE knows about him has been very positive and they need to see what hes got NOW; if he flames out and they go 4-12 all the better for the rebuild draft picks.

Maybe NE brings a FA in to take or challenge for the starting job but I think it is more likely than not they intend to see what he has this yr. I am in a dynasty sf startup right now so ive been checking draft boards and I am really surprised at how late (sometimes not at all) he is going. I would take a shot on Stidham over Jordan Love (who I see going in mid rds) any day.

IMHO he will likely be NEs starting qb this yr and possibly much longer.  

According to The Athletic's Jeff Howe, sophomore Jarrett Stidham, "barring unforeseen circumstances," appears to "have the inside track on the Patriots' starting job."

Brian Hoyer, signed for a mere $1.05 million, was allegedly told he will compete for the job, but the Patriots and the NFL already know who Hoyer is, and that's a 34-year-old clipboard-holder who can come in in a pinch but is not anywhere close to a starting quarterback.  Stidham was hyped as a potential No. 1 overall pick while at Auburn headed into his final year, but the more he played, the less he looked like a future star.  Still, the Patriots are likely to head into the summer with Stidham and Hoyer atop the depth chart, and the job should be Stidham's to lose after going No. 133 overall in 2019.  At this point, New England has shown no interest in Andy Dalton or Cam Newton.

RELATED: 

Brian Hoyer

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 1, 2020, 10:04 AM ET

Depending upon where you look, NE has only $700k (OTC) or $1.9m in cap space. Short of a trade, player cuts, or multiple contract extensions they can’t afford a veteran QB. 

Patriots released QB Cody Kessler.

His release trims $935,000 off the team's books. More importantly, it leaves only Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer as New England's options under center. With a sudden vacancy at that position, perhaps coach Bill Belichick will kick the tires on free agent Cam Newton.

This is going to be glorious. Everything's coming up Stidham
As I mentioned in one of the other NE threads, the longer the status quo remains in NE, the more people keep writing them off. Tom Curran said they will be a 5 or 6 win team and others that were with him said essentially "if that." The collected opinion was they have Gilmore and everyone else is below average, old, or probably wouldn't start on another franchise. No one in the media believes in Stidham, and all anyone wants to do is figure out which free agent NE will be signing and/or which hot shot rookie QB will be the starting QB. Very few people have been talking about Stidham as a solution . . . it's mostly talk about who else will be coming in to hopefully get them to 7 or 8 wins. Short of that, they should tank . . . or they will be so bad they won't even have to tank.

Obviously we will have to see how things play out and what happens during the season, but this is such a Bill Belichick wet dream scenario. A team that listens, takes to coaching, no superstar players (or very few), guys that are already peeved because they hear they only won because of Brady, and no big egos. This is do your job on steroids. We all salute you, Tom Brady, there will never be another player like you. Your years of service, leadership, and success are unparalleled. What you did for the franchise will never be matched. You earned the statue they will put out in front of Gillette.

But now Bill gets to really show what he can do . . . and he will be extra, extra motivated. You just know he is taking names, copying articles, saving links to expert predictions to give to his team proclaiming they are dead in the water and a bottom tier team. He will have his guys ready to storm Normandy and stake claim to the entire beach. They may not be the most talented team, but they will be there balling out every game (assuming there are games).

Vegas still has NE as the favorite to win the AFC East. Usually they are smarter than the average bear. I don't expect great things from the 2020 New England Patriots. They are not real contenders, but they should be competitive. They will probably lose some close games and have some growing pains. But I would expect by the end of the season they will find their mojo, and with an extra playoff spot, does anyone want to face a BB coached team in the playoffs?

They have 12 players coming back from injured reserve (and Harry and Wynn back healthy for now). Between this year and next, they are projected to have something like 25 draft picks.They are slated to have $105-110 million in cap space next year (as of this moment). They will probably still get 9 or 10 wins this year and make the playoffs and get bounced early. But I would expect them to be a force again in 2021. As I have said many times, no one manages the cap better and no one can coach up a team better than BB. Literally half the head coaches in the league have 3 years or less of head coaching experience. Over the years, how many opposing teams and coached made poor decisions when NE didn't? That isn't going to change just because TB12 left town.

No one in the media believes in Stidham, and all anyone wants to do is figure out which free agent NE will be signing and/or which hot shot rookie QB will be the starting QB. Very few people have been talking about Stidham as a solution . . .
This is 100% true, as is the rest of your post, but I wanted to single this statement out. 

Absolutely no one believes in Stidham. Usually when you're one of the few with a differing opinion, you're typically the one that's missing something, but NEs actions this offseason seem to agree with me. And anyone expecting NE to be a landing spot for Dalton or Cam... its just laziness; they dont have any cap for those guys. 

I said before, I'll continue to beat this drum until I'm the last one standing at the party, but I think people are missing a great chance to grab a QB in a Bill Belichick offense... a pretty good QB as far as I'm concerned. I wont go into making huge predictions, as I have no basis for them, but I find it hard to believe Stidham won't be able to at least serve as a QB2 this year. 

I think I've just become a Patriot fan... never could root for Tom Brady

As I mentioned in one of the other NE threads, the longer the status quo remains in NE, the more people keep writing them off. Tom Curran said they will be a 5 or 6 win team and others that were with him said essentially "if that." The collected opinion was they have Gilmore and everyone else is below average, old, or probably wouldn't start on another franchise. No one in the media believes in Stidham, and all anyone wants to do is figure out which free agent NE will be signing and/or which hot shot rookie QB will be the starting QB. Very few people have been talking about Stidham as a solution . . . it's mostly talk about who else will be coming in to hopefully get them to 7 or 8 wins. Short of that, they should tank . . . or they will be so bad they won't even have to tank.

Obviously we will have to see how things play out and what happens during the season, but this is such a Bill Belichick wet dream scenario. A team that listens, takes to coaching, no superstar players (or very few), guys that are already peeved because they hear they only won because of Brady, and no big egos. This is do your job on steroids. We all salute you, Tom Brady, there will never be another player like you. Your years of service, leadership, and success are unparalleled. What you did for the franchise will never be matched. You earned the statue they will put out in front of Gillette.

But now Bill gets to really show what he can do . . . and he will be extra, extra motivated. You just know he is taking names, copying articles, saving links to expert predictions to give to his team proclaiming they are dead in the water and a bottom tier team. He will have his guys ready to storm Normandy and stake claim to the entire beach. They may not be the most talented team, but they will be there balling out every game (assuming there are games).

Vegas still has NE as the favorite to win the AFC East. Usually they are smarter than the average bear. I don't expect great things from the 2020 New England Patriots. They are not real contenders, but they should be competitive. They will probably lose some close games and have some growing pains. But I would expect by the end of the season they will find their mojo, and with an extra playoff spot, does anyone want to face a BB coached team in the playoffs?

They have 12 players coming back from injured reserve (and Harry and Wynn back healthy for now). Between this year and next, they are projected to have something like 25 draft picks.They are slated to have $105-110 million in cap space next year (as of this moment). They will probably still get 9 or 10 wins this year and make the playoffs and get bounced early. But I would expect them to be a force again in 2021. As I have said many times, no one manages the cap better and no one can coach up a team better than BB. Literally half the head coaches in the league have 3 years or less of head coaching experience. Over the years, how many opposing teams and coached made poor decisions when NE didn't? That isn't going to change just because TB12 left town.
Anyone who thinks the Pats will be a 5 or 6 win team is either a complete moron or trying to get attention.

This is 100% true, as is the rest of your post, but I wanted to single this statement out. 

Absolutely no one believes in Stidham. Usually when you're one of the few with a differing opinion, you're typically the one that's missing something, but NEs actions this offseason seem to agree with me. And anyone expecting NE to be a landing spot for Dalton or Cam... its just laziness; they dont have any cap for those guys. 

I said before, I'll continue to beat this drum until I'm the last one standing at the party, but I think people are missing a great chance to grab a QB in a Bill Belichick offense... a pretty good QB as far as I'm concerned. I wont go into making huge predictions, as I have no basis for them, but I find it hard to believe Stidham won't be able to at least serve as a QB2 this year. 

I think I've just become a Patriot fan... never could root for Tom Brady
We are a long way from any games, and NE could turn over half their roster by then, but one would expect that they will look similar to they did the last couple of years. If the pieces are healthy, the team appears to be constructed to be great against the pass, strong on special teams, focused on the run, and making a concerted effort to play keep away and move the chains.

I am still a little worried about who Stidham will throw to. They don't have a pro level TE . . . and a receiving corps of Edelman, Sanu, Harry, and Meyers isn't exactly going to scare the pants off of anyone. It being a deep WR draft and with NE having a lot of picks, I would guess they will take a couple of receivers in the draft. I heard some chatter (ie talking out loud) that they would be a good fit to make a trade with CLE. Basically, OL Thuney for a 2nd round pick, TE David Njoku (CLE signed Hooper), and maybe a late round pick. That would net NE $12 million in cap space, get them a young TE with a 5th year option, and allow some flexibility to pursue other weapons offensively (which they can't do know). The logic would be that they could use replace Thuney in the draft. It makes a lot of sense (which is why it probably won't happen).

Users who are viewing this thread