What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jarrett Stidham, DEN (1 Viewer)

seems highly unlikely he would go in to the season as an undisputed starter. holding in a 2qb dynasty team still but when he has played he's looked meh
Posted a week ago before he had a chance to give it a go for any length of time in a real game this year. Much easier to say after last night, getting one last chance to show what he's got or doesn't have, that the chances of him starting next year have taken a big hit.

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

“On this day, Jarrett Stidham took advantage of every opportunity he received. The third-year veteran was the most impressive quarterback on this day.”
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1400936228615303172?s=21

Cam Newton suffers hand injury at Patriots practice, more news from today's OTA

Excerpt:

Jarrett Stidham shines, outplays other quarterbacks at practice

In the Patriots sixth day of OTAs, the media saw a ramped-up practice with high intensity. The day’s session was a lot different from the open practice of last week as the Pats focused on 11-on-11 drills.

It was clear from the start of practice that players were pumped up. The defense was trash-talking the offense and vice versa. On this day, the quarterbacks were again the focus with the biggest news being Cam Newton suffering an injury to his right hand about an hour into the session. He didn’t leave practice, which was a good sign, but the veteran didn’t participate after the injury happened.

That made for more reps for the other quarterbacks on the roster. On this day, Jarrett Stidham took advantage of every opportunity he received. The third-year veteran was the most impressive quarterback on this day.

Stidham was decisive in his reads and threw multiple nice passes downfield. He finished 13-of-14 on the day with his only incomplete pass being dropped by Jakob Johnson. Stidham went 9/10 in full-team drills and was a perfect 4/4 in 7-on-7 drills. Some of his highlights included a deep pass to Jakobi Meyers and another nice throw to Kendrick Bourne.
Edit - Adding this link and asking @Anarchy99to weigh in:

Jarrett Stidham sends reminder he's still a factor in Patriots' QB picture

Last edited by a moderator:
There are multiple media guys saying that as of today Stidham is the best QB option NE has right now. Reports have come out that he was significantly better in practice then he was in live action last year.

Some reporters fee that if BB is open and honest, this should be a three horse race as to who should be the Week 1 starter. That being said, IMO, Stidham would have to be significantly better to earn the job than Cam or Mac. 

By all accounts, Newton is said to have a better grasp of the offense this year. I take that to mean he is less lost. But his accuracy when he was at OTAs wasn’t any better. 

Stidham has looked like the best option in terms of having command of the offense in OTAs, as he was very accurate and led a vertical attack downfield. Jones completed a high percentage of passes but most of them were check downs and very short gains. 

We really won’t have much idea of how things shape up until training camp starts. Stidham is said to have the biggest arm of the three both in terms of velocity and distance. Given the offense the Pats seem to be wanting to run, I am not sure that counts for much. 

Jones os absorbing information by the truckload, so who knows where he will be by September. BB seems to favor Cam, so it’s going to be a while before we learn more. Playing catch in shorts without pads doesn’t really count for much in my book. 

There are multiple media guys saying that as of today Stidham is the best QB option NE has right now. Reports have come out that he was significantly better in practice then he was in live action last year.

Some reporters fee that if BB is open and honest, this should be a three horse race as to who should be the Week 1 starter. That being said, IMO, Stidham would have to be significantly better to earn the job than Cam or Mac. 

By all accounts, Newton is said to have a better grasp of the offense this year. I take that to mean he is less lost. But his accuracy when he was at OTAs wasn’t any better. 

Stidham has looked like the best option in terms of having command of the offense in OTAs, as he was very accurate and led a vertical attack downfield. Jones completed a high percentage of passes but most of them were check downs and very short gains. 

We really won’t have much idea of how things shape up until training camp starts. Stidham is said to have the biggest arm of the three both in terms of velocity and distance. Given the offense the Pats seem to be wanting to run, I am not sure that counts for much. 

Jones os absorbing information by the truckload, so who knows where he will be by September. BB seems to favor Cam, so it’s going to be a while before we learn more. Playing catch in shorts without pads doesn’t really count for much in my book. 
Better than he was in live action last yr? When the hell did we see him? I think we both thought and expected Stidham would get a shot to show the team what if anything he had last yr, but it never happened. Instead they brought in Cam which was obviously a big mistake. I know u thought Stidham was worth a look and I agree; he couldn't have been worse than Cam and even if he was at least they would have a better idea about him than they do now and would have had a higher pick. I like the Jones pick but do not like what they did last yr.

Better than he was in live action last yr? When the hell did we see him? I think we both thought and expected Stidham would get a shot to show the team what if anything he had last yr, but it never happened. Instead they brought in Cam which was obviously a big mistake. I know u thought Stidham was worth a look and I agree; he couldn't have been worse than Cam and even if he was at least they would have a better idea about him than they do now and would have had a higher pick. I like the Jones pick but do not like what they did last yr.
Stidham came into 5 games in relief last year in garbage time in games that were long since decided. And other than one play looked ungood. In limited use in two season his numbers have been poor and he hasn’t done much. Granted, it wasn’t high pressure and he was playing with limited talent. That’s why people say he looked much better in practice. 

Stidham came into 5 games in relief last year in garbage time in games that were long since decided. And other than one play looked ungood. In limited use in two season his numbers have been poor and he hasn’t done much. Granted, it wasn’t high pressure and he was playing with limited talent. That’s why people say he looked much better in practice. 
That explains it, I wasn't watching garbage time at all last yr and was talking about giving the guy a couple of starts or at least some meaningful playing time. Again, I think both u and I expected them to give him a shot last yr and sadly they didn't.  

Patriots QB Jarrett Stidham underwent surgery to repair a back injury.

The Patriots have a three-month timetable for Stidham, ruling him out for the rest of training camp and the first few weeks of the regular season. It doesn't change much in New England's quarterback plans, as Stidham was behind Cam Newton and rookie Mac Jones. The Patriots claimed QB Jake Dolegala off waivers from the Packers to compete with Brian Hoyer for the No. 3 job.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Jul 30, 2021, 6:42 PM ET

Surprised they got that much...the part that I find interesting is it is McDaniel who traded for him...taking it a step further that would lead you to believe he obtained him because he will be running a similar system to what he did in Foxboro which Stidham knows...not that that is earth-shattering news, but it is interesting when looking at their players (particularly Renfrow for me).

Surprised they got that much...the part that I find interesting is it is McDaniel who traded for him...taking it a step further that would lead you to believe he obtained him because he will be running a similar system to what he did in Foxboro which Stidham knows...not that that is earth-shattering news, but it is interesting when looking at their players (particularly Renfrow for me).
Surprised NE couldn't have gotten Josh to take Harry in the deal. 

If he did, we probably wouldn't have got the 6th.
At this point, Stidham, Harry, and a 6th for a 7th coming back would have been a decent outcome. Would have ended up with $2 million in cap space, which is worth more than either player (or the pick).

How does this guy have an 11 page thread?
There was a stretch of like 4 months when Brady didn't return to NE and before Cam signed with the Pats that it looked like Stidham was going to be the heir apparent to TB12. Clearly that didn't happen, but he got a lot of buzz when it looked like he was going to be the Pats starter.

Not to brag, but I squeezed a 2nd out of some sucker for Stidham in between Brady leaving and Cam signing in New England. He was going to be good.

Great performance today and the game hasn’t even ended. 26 years old so in physical prime, couple of years in the league getting experience, prototypical size, arm Is good etc etc

I’m a firm believer that QBs entering the league still have so much room to improve with coaching, reps, game time, their own mental traits and work they do outside of training.

Could he be good ?

Great performance today and the game hasn’t even ended. 26 years old so in physical prime, couple of years in the league getting experience, prototypical size, arm Is good etc etc

I’m a firm believer that QBs entering the league still have so much room to improve with coaching, reps, game time, their own mental traits and work they do outside of training.

Could he be good ?
Sorry, no.

Jarrett Stidham completed 22-of-34 passes for 365 yards, three touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Raiders' 37-34, Week 17 loss to the 49ers.​

Starting with the good, Stidham led the Raiders to a three-play, 75-yard scoring drive with less than two minutes to go. The bulk of the yardage came on a 45-yard heave to Davante Adams. Stidham didn't quite hit Adams in stride, but he gave one of the league's best receivers a chance at making a play and Adams did the rest. On the next play, he threw a long ball to Darren Waller that resulted in defensive pass interference, setting up a short Josh Jacobs score. The bad news is that four plays into overtime, Stidham threw a duck that fell many yards short of Adams for an easy interception and a long return by Tashaun Gipson. San Francisco kicked an easy field goal for a win moments later. With most fantasy managers having low expectations for Stidham, this game goes down as a strong performance, despite the tragic ending. Heading into Week 18, Stidham will have some streaming juice in a high-scoring matchup with Kansas City.
Jan 1, 2023, 7:54 PM ET

Stidham has made one start and went for 365/3. NE has gone 75 games without a QB accomplishing 350/3 (and counting). The last time was TB12 in 2018.

Stidham has made one start and went for 365/3. NE has gone 75 games without a QB accomplishing 350/3 (and counting). The last time was TB12 in 2018.
Help me out A99. What needs to be done to fix both Mac and the Pats O as where do you even start? Have to think Air Patricia was a colossal mistake and you start there but next year is year 3 for Mac and I would imagine they bring it a vet to challenge him in camp.

Could he be good ?
Sorry, no.

Explaining the basis of your opinion might be interesting to others and helps the flow of discussion a little better.

Could he be good ?
Sorry, no.
Well if Mitchie says No than its definitely No

cant argue with his reasons thats for sure

Help me out A99. What needs to be done to fix both Mac and the Pats O as where do you even start? Have to think Air Patricia was a colossal mistake and you start there but next year is year 3 for Mac and I would imagine they bring it a vet to challenge him in camp.
The steps are pretty clear . . . whether they act on the plan and how well it works out remains to be seen.

- Kick Patricia upstairs and get a real OC. Rumor is that Bill O'Brien is the guy and that is close to a done deal. The two seasons BOB ran the offense, they scored 518 and 513 points (granted, he had a lot more to work with back then).
- Fix the OL. Jones has been decent with time to throw the ball. But you can't run deep routes with 5 receivers and s Swiss cheese O-line. That probably means drafting an OT first or second round, drafting a couple of mid to late round prospects, signing a free agent castaway that was a high draft pick that didn't work out, and/or swinging a trade for a mid-round pick to get someone they've had their eye on for years.
- Get a legit #1 receiver. Meyers will probably sign elsewhere (the FA WR market is atrocious), and they will move on from Agholor. A trio of Parker, Bourne, and Thornton (and a smattering of Marcus Jones) would be decent behind a legit threat at receiver. We've been saying this for years, so who knows if they will ever listen. Look how the fate of the Bills changed adding Diggs and the Fins with Hill and Waddle.

Those three things would make them competitive enough to win a playoff game next year. In other threads, I suggested that adding a playmaker on either side of the ball would also help, but I think I've decided that playmaker needs to play WR.

I doubt they bring in anyone else at QB next season. They will likely go with Jones and Zappe, and if Jones doesn't look much better with a real OC, a better OL, and some weapons, then they will have to revisit in 2024.

As horrible as the offense has looked this season, NE is only a few plays away from being 12-4 right now (co-lateral damage vs. Vegas, RS fumble vs. CIN, Henry non-TD call in MIN, not going for it on 4th and short in OT vs. GB). No matter what their record was this year, they still weren't a very good team.

Their Oline is currently a mess. I can't see Brown or Wynn coming back. Cannon, Cajuste, and McDermott (who's been starting) are all free agents. They literally don't have anyone at OT for next year.

They really need to address three things to go back to being a much more competitive team. That being said, who knows who they'll have on the OLine next year, they probably won't look for a Top 10 WR, and who knows (for now) who the OC will be.

Last edited:

Could he be good ?
Sorry, no.

Explaining the basis of your opinion might be interesting to others and helps the flow of discussion a little better.
He was bad on the Pats never showing really any reason to think he could be a starter. One game, albeit against SF should not cause anyone to think he's all of a sudden a good QB. The examples of this happening are few and far between. Now that Geno Smith - who was pretty highly regarded coming out of college btw - resurrected his career seems like everyone thinks any QB can rise from the dead

Could he be good ?
Sorry, no.

He was bad on the Pats never showing really any reason to think he could be a starter. One game, albeit against SF should not cause anyone to think he's all of a sudden a good QB. The examples of this happening are few and far between. Now that Geno Smith - who was pretty highly regarded coming out of college btw - resurrected his career seems like everyone thinks any QB can rise from the dead

Stidham and Geno are not comparable but not for the reasons you think. The likes of Wentz/Mayfield/Darnold are more on a path to being comparable because each of them have started as an NFL QBs for multiple seasons like Geno did and been afforded several chances to prove themselves. I don’t see a way back for Wentz for instance. He’s finished. Darnold MIGHT be an example of someone who has turned a corner. Unlikely, but maybe.

You can’t come back from the dead if you’ve never died - Stidham only ever played for the Patriots in relief and then got injured. I might be wrong but was this week his first NFL start ? Not saying he WILL be a good starting QB, just that it’s a possibility as some people just require an opportunity that they then take with both hands.

Either way, it’s not just up to him, there will be so many other external factors as to whether he might succeed or not.

Thanks for expanding

I think he's solidified the backup job for as long as McDaniels is there. Whether it's Brady/Grap/rookie where he *may* be a bridge starter.

If Brady wants to play another year, I bring him in and let Studham back him up. I also don't rule out them going QB with their 1st in this scenario and going D for rest of draft

The wildcard in everything this off-season IMO is Davante Adams

The steps are pretty clear . . . whether they act on the plan and how well it works out remains to be seen.

- Kick Patricia upstairs and get a real OC. Rumor is that Bill O'Brien is the guy and that is close to a done deal. The two seasons BOB ran the offense, they scored 518 and 513 points (granted, he had a lot more to work with back then).
- Fix the OL. Jones has been decent with time to throw the ball. But you can't run deep routes with 5 receivers and s Swiss cheese O-line. That probably means drafting an OT first or second round, drafting a couple of mid to late round prospects, signing a free agent castaway that was a high draft pick that didn't work out, and/or swinging a trade for a mid-round pick to get someone they've had their eye on for years.
- Get a legit #1 receiver. Meyers will probably sign elsewhere (the FA WR market is atrocious), and they will move on from Agholor. A trio of Parker, Bourne, and Thornton (and a smattering of Marcus Jones) would be decent behind a legit threat at receiver. We've been saying this for years, so who knows if they will ever listen. Look how the fate of the Bills changed adding Diggs and the Fins with Hill and Waddle.

Those three things would make them competitive enough to win a playoff game next year. In other threads, I suggested that adding a playmaker on either side of the ball would also help, but I think I've decided that playmaker needs to play WR.

I doubt they bring in anyone else at QB next season. They will likely go with Jones and Zappe, and if Jones doesn't look much better with a real OC, a better OL, and some weapons, then they will have to revisit in 2024.

As horrible as the offense has looked this season, NE is only a few plays away from being 12-4 right now (co-lateral damage vs. Vegas, RS fumble vs. CIN, Henry non-TD call in MIN, not going for it on 4th and short in OT vs. GB). No matter what their record was this year, they still weren't a very good team.

Their Oline is currently a mess. I can't see Brown or Wynn coming back. Cannon, Cajuste, and McDermott (who's been starting) are all free agents. They literally don't have anyone at OT for next year.

They really need to address three things to go back to being a much more competitive team. That being said, who knows who they'll have on the OLine next year, they probably won't look for a Top 10 WR, and who knows (for now) who the OC will be.
Thanks for your thoughts, didn’t mean to derail thread. Stid looked poised and hope he gets a long look next year.

Could he be good ?
Could he? Sure. But, I do think that's unlikely. He was on the Patriots for multiple years - an obviously good organization who has had success with backups playing well (e.g. Jimmy G and to a lesser extent Brissett) and they saw so little in Stidham that they traded him and a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick. Certainly the Patriots are fallible and their roster moves the last few years have blemishes, but if they saw even anything in him to think he may be a starter no way they make that trade.

So, since I'll assume NE knows more about football than me, I'd fade Stidham for now and chalk this game up to a Matt Flynn experience (I'll admit, though, Stidham looked like a real QB after watching the likes of Trace McSorley and Nick Foles who looked like they clearly don't belong).

Could he be good ?
Sorry, no.

Stidham and Geno are not comparable but not for the reasons you think. The likes of Wentz/Mayfield/Darnold are more on a path to being comparable because each of them have started as an NFL QBs for multiple seasons like Geno did and been afforded several chances to prove themselves. I don’t see a way back for Wentz for instance. He’s finished. Darnold MIGHT be an example of someone who has turned a corner. Unlikely, but maybe.

You can’t come back from the dead if you’ve never died - Stidham only ever played for the Patriots in relief and then got injured. I might be wrong but was this week his first NFL start ? Not saying he WILL be a good starting QB, just that it’s a possibility as some people just require an opportunity that they then take with both hands.

Either way, it’s not just up to him, there will be so many other external factors as to whether he might succeed or not.

Thanks for expanding
I mean anything is possible but when you consider that Belichick - who watched Stidham in practice for 3 years - traded Stidham for a swap of 6th and 7th round picks, it's hard to imagine he just needs an opportunity to show he's a good QB.

ETA: just saw guy above me made essentially the same point.

Reactions: Zow
I'll assume NE knows more about football than me, I'd fade Stidham for now

Who knows, but could have been that they thought Mac J was their franchise guy and felt good enough about Zappe as a 2022 and beyond backup, knowing they wouldn't want to keep three QBs.

Broncos agreed to terms with QB Jarrett Stidham, formerly of the Raiders, to a two-year, $10 million contract.​

The deal includes $5 million guaranteed. It's not the biggest backup quarterback contract we have ever seen, but it's a bit of an eyebrow raiser behind Russell Wilson. We have no doubt Sean Payton views Stidham as someone who will actually execute his system if Wilson continues to go rogue and/or continue to decline in 2023. Not to overstate the threat to Wilson. It's a calamity for the Raiders, who have now lost their "we struck out on a free agent or drafted quarterback" backup plan. 26-year-old Stidham showed a little juice in his 2022 Silver and Black cameo, but there is no reason to believe he is anything other than a backup.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 13, 2023, 1:10 PM ET

Broncos HC Sean Payton said Jarrett Stidham was an "important signing" for the team this offseason.​

The Broncos signed Stidham to a two-year, $10 million deal this offseason to become Russell Wilson's handsomely paid backup. Payton added at the owners meeting that the team feels like Stidham "can become an NFL starter." This doesn't necessarily mean Wilson will be on a short leash in 2023 -- which would work against the Broncos' best interest after Wilson signed a five-year, $242 million contract last offseason. Stidham threw for 656-4-3 in his lone season with the Raiders. The former fourth-round pick has made just two career starts but appears to already have the admiration of his new coach.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Zac Stevens on Twitter
Mar 27, 2023, 11:29 AM ET

Wow, so two years in a row Stidham is brought in to relief under-performing QBs, both with unfavorable clauses in their contract. lol Accordingly, Denver wasted no time signing him for the very same reason the Raiders did. That he ends up playing was unforeseen, mere coincidence? BS! Who didn't buy the narrative that Payton was hired to help get Wilson back on track? This move now appears as purposeful intent. Did Denver even want to win with Wilson?

This is different, reversing course at about this point appears to have been the plan all along. Likely due to how much they were paying Wilson. I viewed this move as a shutdown, which is false. Stidham performed well to well enough vs two top defenses. Now he draws a struggling Chargers DEF. I have Courtland Sutton & to me he's back in play now.

I can see Payton having Stidham air it out big time against another lost team - just to try to prove that he was right about the move.

I can see Payton having Stidham air it out big time against another lost team - just to try to prove that he was right about the move.
I think this is exactly what we should anticipate. I think Payton makes a point of not subjecting Stidham to pressure but rather in a situation to succeed. It's about restoring the HC's ability, that he knows how to win & direction for the team. For me, two weeks ago it was Bijan goose-egging. Last week it was Sutton, along with Hockenson. Yet, I managed to advance, primarily because my opponents had more problems than I did. The times I've won out, my team was always surging, you get a real sense of it. Not this $h!+. Doesn't look good, but I didn't come this far to not try.

Users who are viewing this thread