Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Jonathan Taylor, Colts

9 minutes ago, Manster said:

Grabbed em both in my draft on Monday.  Considering starting both against the hapless jags

If you do start both it will be an easy decision on which game to watch.

3 minutes ago, Stoneworker said:

No doubt about the talent difference. I just see the situation similar to Ingram/Dobbins and Gordon/Lindsay where the incumbent may be more difficult to unseat than many people think. Makes FF fun.

There are enough touches for both Taylor and Mack to be fantasy relevant IMO.  Having said that, one cannot expect it NOT to affect both in fantasy.  Plan accordingly. 

Edited by JohnnyU

3 minutes ago, Stoneworker said:

No doubt about the talent difference. I just see the situation similar to Ingram/Dobbins and Gordon/Lindsay where the incumbent may be more difficult to unseat than many people think. Makes FF fun.

Could be that kind of situation for sure. Personally, I see Mack as a very middling talent and think the situation is closer to somewhere in between Adrian Peterson/Chester Taylor and Nick Chubb/Carlos Hyde.

Mack is a really good athlete.  He's a bit more shifty, and not the downhill runner Taylor is.  So they bring a different skillset to the table......where Taylor may shine is his history as a workhorse, bruiser at a place like wisky where they pound the rock.

The Colts are going to run the rock down people's throats......kinda like wisky does.  They ran the ball 30 times a game last season.  There should be enough touches for both guys.  I could see Taylor becoming the workhorse while Mack spells him enough to be a weekly flex or RB 3 play.....but who knows really cuz we had no preseason....it's all big speculation!

Edited by Manster
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, creepythinman said:

Could be that kind of situation for sure. Personally, I see Mack as a very middling talent and think the situation is closer to somewhere in between Adrian Peterson/Chester Taylor and Nick Chubb/Carlos Hyde.

Ah. Thanks for pointing this one out.

I was struggling to remember a recent situation that took much longer for the rookie to take over than the talent discrepancy implied. That was it. Game 7 before Hyde was traded and Chubb took over.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stoneworker said:

Ah. Thanks for pointing this one out.

I was struggling to remember a recent situation that took much longer for the rookie to take over than the talent discrepancy implied. That was it. Game 7 before Hyde was traded and Chubb took over.

Not that he’s as good as Taylor but the Lions we’re reluctant to give Kerryon a big workload over Blount. Ditto with Miles Sanders and Jordan Howard.

• Like 1

Optimisitcally, I'm seeing about 80 yards combined and about .33 TD.

There's upside beyond that, but I think the odds are low for a Week 1 breakout.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

JONATHAN TAYLOR RB, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

The Athletic's Zak Keefer said the Colts drafted RB Jonathan Taylor to "spell [Marlon] Mack mid-game, keeping him fresher for the fourth quarter."

It's enough to make Taylor drafters sick. But we've known for a while Mack wouldn't be completely phased out of Indy's offense, and that Taylor would have to assert himself to take over the backfield. Head coach Frank Reich has pledged to "ride the hot hand" this season. Those who drafted Mack could get solid usage out of the back this year, including this week against what should be a bad Jacksonville defense. 

RELATED: 

Marlon Mack

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Sep 10, 2020, 9:01 AM ET

Wound up drafting both. Tough call to start one of them or hype train gibson this week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faust said:

If that was actually the case, Indianapolis should have just used Jordan Wilkins and his 6 yds/carry or kept Jonathan Williams and his 2 straight 100 yard games after Mack's injury rather than trade up in the second round for Taylor.

45 minutes ago, creepythinman said:

If that was actually the case, Indianapolis should have just used Jordan Wilkins and his 6 yds/carry or kept Jonathan Williams and his 2 straight 100 yard games after Mack's injury rather than trade up in the second round for Taylor.

It's scary how stupid some of the reporters are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -jb- said:

For those with shares of both I think we gotta go Mack. 

I'm starting both of them. I would expect one or the other to have a huge game, too early in the season to guess which one.

Edited by mcd

with his repeated fumbleitis , it's hard to envision him fixing it overnight, ESPECIALLY from a training camp without preseason games.  18 fumbles in 3 seasons at Wisco, SIX of them coming last season. IT's going to be a rocky road in year one. Mack isn't going to just disappear , he's going to be a huge factor all season long. 

I remember another big Wisco RB everyone fawned over, what's his name? oh yeah, Ron Dayne. 

11 minutes ago, Tanner9919 said:

I remember another big Wisco RB everyone fawned over, what's his name? oh yeah, Ron Dayne. 

I'll never get this criticism.

That's like not taking Saquon Barkley because of DJ Dozier or Curtis Enis.

Edited by Andy Dufresne
  • Like 8

16 minutes ago, Tanner9919 said:

with his repeated fumbleitis , it's hard to envision him fixing it overnight, ESPECIALLY from a training camp without preseason games.  18 fumbles in 3 seasons at Wisco, SIX of them coming last season. IT's going to be a rocky road in year one. Mack isn't going to just disappear , he's going to be a huge factor all season long. 

He also touched the ball a ton. His per touch rate is still poor but the volume does make it a bit easier to stomach. Early season fumbles killing his opportunity remain my biggest concern.

1 hour ago, mcd said:

I'm starting both of them. I would expect one or the other to have a huge game, too early in the season to guess which one.

If Sanders is downgraded further, I'm going with both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcd said:

Over who?  

1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I'll never get this criticism.

That's like not taking Saquon Barkley because of DJ Dozier or Curtis Enis.

Not to mention he had to go back 20 years for Ron Dayne when there's been Montee Ball, James White, and Melvin Gordon inside of this decade.

7 hours ago, Tanner9919 said:

It occasionally carries over, but the majority of the time these fumble problems do indeed disappear overnight when a guy enters the NFL. 

Maybe the shortened off-season will change that, but it's a pretty easy coaching fix and I think the skinnier ball shape in the NFL helps too. 

Sanders, Cook, Mixon, and Michel were all terrible fumblers in college and none of them have had it impact their playing time in the NFL. 

• Like 1

has a great matchup vs the Jags but hard to start him with the coaches saying it's going to be a 1:1 punch

Hoping he lays an egg in week 1 and Mack gobbles up 30 carries so I can go make a ton of aggressive offers for him.  Not even gonna risk lowballing, just make a competitive offer right off the bat.

Representing Taylor AND Mack owners everywhere, I say to you Hines WTMF

7 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Rivers has his Woodhead. Oh well.

I don't know how I missed this one.  I was so focused on scooping up Doyle everywhere because Rivers loves his TEs I somehow didn't even consider that he loves throwing to his RBs even more.  Kind of surprising that Hines didn't have any hype this offseason with the way Rivers targets RBs, I guess it snuck up on all of us.

2 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Hines didn't have any hype this offseason with the way Rivers targets RBs, I guess it snuck up on all of us.

HInes had total hype if you follow FBGs on Twitter. Not to contradict you, but I was aware through them. 

• Like 2

I definitely called out Hines as a big problem for Taylor owners. The colts love him & Rivers is check-down Charlie.

that said, things do change - everyone who drafted Taylor was targeting a week 3-4 takeover. I remain skeptical, but I wish y’all luck. 

Just now, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I definitely called out Hines as a big problem for Taylor owners. The colts love him & Rivers is check-down Charlie.

that said, things do change - everyone who drafted Taylor was targeting a week 3-4 takeover. I remain skeptical, but I wish y’all luck. 

Mack off on a cart. Things change quickly.

Edited by VikingFrog

Just now, rockaction said:

HInes had total hype if you follow FBGs on Twitter. Not to contradict you, but I was aware through them. 

Yeah fair.  I mostly meant message board hype and more importantly league hype.  Not many people rushing to pick him up or draft him in drafts that included vets.  Still on the waiver wire in a lot of leagues without large rosters.  Not really much momentum for him on the forum, etc.  Thinking back now I'm surprised there wasn't a bunch of hype for him being the next Ekeler.

Mostly just kicking myself for not taking a flyer on him when it seemed like such an obvious flyer.  

2 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Yeah fair.  I mostly meant message board hype and more importantly league hype.  Not many people rushing to pick him up or draft him in drafts that included vets.  Still on the waiver wire in a lot of leagues without large rosters.  Not really much momentum for him on the forum, etc.  Thinking back now I'm surprised there wasn't a bunch of hype for him being the next Ekeler.

Mostly just kicking myself for not taking a flyer on him when it seemed like such an obvious flyer.  

Yeah, I was aware he was, in their words, all over the practice field, but I picked him up nowhere, either.

12 minutes ago, VikingFrog said:

Mack off on a cart. Things change quickly.

Definitely. 

13 minutes ago, creepythinman said:

Layman's analysis is that Mack tore his achilles

Just saw the replay.  He got up immediately and limped off the field.  I know that happens sometimes with major injuries like torn ACLs but correct me if I'm wrong aren't achilles tears typically EXTREMELY painful injuries that leave the guy unable to put any weight at all on it?

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I’ve been operating on the same assumption. In the only league where I drafted Taylor I was sure to retain Hines (carried him over from previous season). I also tried to get him in FA drafts (only succeeded in one). I think Hines was always going to siphon a lot of the receiving work. But maybe there’s a little extra in his role. Of course if Mack misses a lot of time Taylor and Hines could both be really valuable in that offense 

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

I’ve been operating on the same assumption. In the only league where I drafted Taylor I was sure to retain Hines (carried him over from previous season). I also tried to get him in FA drafts (only succeeded in one). I think Hines was always going to siphon a lot of the receiving work. But maybe there’s a little extra in his role. Of course if Mack misses a lot of time Taylor and Hines could both be really valuable in that offense 

Another dude I wanted but missed in my redraft league. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Just saw the replay.  He got up immediately and limped off the field.  I know that happens sometimes with major injuries like torn ACLs but correct me if I'm wrong aren't achilles tears typically EXTREMELY painful injuries that leave the guy unable to put any weight at all on it?

There's been plenty of Achilles tears that had the player trying to walk it off.

3 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Yeah - if he put weight on it it’s not an Achilles. I didn’t see it, so I have no idea, but from descriptions it just doesn’t match. 

The #Colts fear that RB Marlon Mack has a torn Achilles, sources tell me and @MikeGarafolo.

- Tom Pelissero

Edited by creepythinman

16 minutes ago, creepythinman said:

The #Colts fear that RB Marlon Mack has a torn Achilles, sources tell me and @MikeGarafolo.

- Tom Pelissero

Bummer. 

• Like 2

Feel terrible for Mack.  Didn't have a large first contract.  Is on the final year of his deal.  He wasn't going to get huge money next year but he probably could've gotten $8-10 mil.  Brutal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Yeah - if he put weight on it it’s not an Achilles. I didn’t see it, so I have no idea, but from descriptions it just doesn’t match. 

premature it seems.  

2 minutes ago, smbkrypt24 said:

premature it seems.  

Yes and people posting in the injury thread as if it is a fact.  Fear not equal fact.  He may ver well have torn it, but some guy on Twitter saying he fears a tear doesn’t make it so.

5 minutes ago, smbkrypt24 said:

premature it seems.  

Like I said, I didn’t see the play but that description usually doesn’t match Achilles.  He must have been “limping” very lightly. 

On air they called it a sprained ankle a second after I posted this. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

Yes and people posting in the injury thread as if it is a fact.  Fear not equal fact.  He may ver well have torn it, but some guy on Twitter saying he fears a tear doesn’t make it so.

They’re calling it torn on Rotoworld too. Maybe based on Twitter. :shrug: