What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Mike Boone, DEN (2 Viewers)

Meh. I won anyway and now I don't have to feel anxious about dropping him to make room on my roster for next year's rookie picks.  Sorry to those of you who lost because of him. In retrospect, it was a boondoggle to play him unless you had no other choice.  

I didn't watch the game for feeling ill watching team likely lose.  Why were we all so wrong on Boone? He looked solid last game and outplayed Abdullah in terms of snaps and carries.

Was Boone missing blocks or blowing assignments? Just running into walls? A complete decoy?

I improbably won my ship despite a host of  ad performances including Boone. Just trying to dissect this to prevent me making the same call again in the future.

How were all.of us so very wrong on this?

I didn't watch the game for feeling ill watching team likely lose.  Why were we all so wrong on Boone? He looked solid last game and outplayed Abdullah in terms of snaps and carries.

Was Boone missing blocks or blowing assignments? Just running into walls? A complete decoy?

I improbably won my ship despite a host of  ad performances including Boone. Just trying to dissect this to prevent me making the same call again in the future.

He was a 3rd string running back that dominated the 4th quarter of a blowout vs a horrible chargers team. He shouldve been ranked as an rb2. Delusional to rank a 3rd stringer as an RB1.

BREAKING:

Mike Boone slipped on a sheet of ice in the parking lot at US Bank Stadium, sprains ankle and will be inactive tonight.

fake news, been waiting for this update all day, it did not come. [\spoiler]
Many are wishing they had heeded your fake news alert and pulled him.

I was up by nine, opponent had Boone, and I was sick all day knowing I made some boneheaded roster decisions and was convinced I was going to lose. Won but didn't deserve it. Difference in payout is $1250 for first and $225 for second so Boone did just what I needed him to

Miller and Fuller stunk this week. Gallup did well but had 9 yards the week before. OBJ scored but he has been a total disaster all year. Mack, yeah not sure why you played Boone over Mack. 
All three fbg experts had Boone in the top ten.  I was faced with a decision of Boone Mack Gurley obj and drake.  Boone was ranked significantly higher than all of them. Went Mack drake and Boone. Still won thanks to the opponent having guys like Winston and Moore. Picking up Indy d helped too. 

Anyway, that’s why many people played booneBoone

Bloom really did a disservice to everyone ranking this guy 8th just because he had a hard on for this guy. Was never realistic to rank him as anything other than an rb2.

Some experts need to take their love affairs with players else where and rank players unbiased or not rank them at all. 
Dodds has him 9th

that said I agree with you. Dion Lewis is another example. We’ve seen that show before and should know better 

All three fbg experts had Boone in the top ten.  I was faced with a decision of Boone Mack Gurley obj and drake.  Boone was ranked significantly higher than all of them. Went Mack drake and Boone. Still won thanks to the opponent having guys like Winston and Moore. Picking up Indy d helped too. 

Anyway, that’s why many people played booneBoone
You, I, others have been on this board for years, even decades. Those opinions are a datapoint, and you should NOT put a lot of stock in it. They know very little more, and arguably less, than you and I know. 

He simply wasn't used much. The Packers D was on fire. IIRC the Vikings had 1 first down in the first half despite scoring 10 points. Their early lead was at the benefit of some turnovers. When the Packers had the ball, they went on a number of long drives. TOP was over 2:1 at one point I think. Ultimately Boone couldn't be used and Abdullah got more touches in the passing game. :shrug:  

You, I, others have been on this board for years, even decades. Those opinions are a datapoint, and you should NOT put a lot of stock in it. They know very little more, and arguably less, than you and I know. 
The more information out there and the more access to it, the less time I spend on it. The less time I spend on it the more I talk myself into relying on the experts for an edge. It’s a vicious cycle.

being a Panthers fan I had seen how bad their defense was, how they had been shredded and how the team had quit. I was shocked to see Mack ranked so low by the experts.  

I will say that the opinions and information in these forums and published by fbg are a doubled edged sword. My rosters were literally loaded from getting a jump on the wire and heads up on injuries. Sometimes I wish I didn’t have so many choices. 

I need to get back to relying on my eyes. Prime example is will dissley.  He tore it up last year and went undrafted in many of my deep leagues. 

Bloom really did a disservice to everyone ranking this guy 8th just because he had a hard on for this guy. Was never realistic to rank him as anything other than an rb2.

Some experts need to take their love affairs with players else where and rank players unbiased or not rank them at all. 
I didn't check his rankings but I usually do the opposite of what Bloom suggests on players I'm 50/50 on and it's served me well.

The Packers defense played great.  Boone got the desired volume in the first half but the entire Vikings offense didn't perform well.  In the preseason tape of Boone, he was a player who performed well when the offensive line created holes but was not good at creating on his own.  No one could have predicted that the Packers were going to dominate the line of scrimmage.  If you are blaming the FBG staff right now then you definitely need to keep subscribing to FBG because you do not understand football.  It isn't always predictable.

Predicting him as RB8 though, that's pretty crazy. RB12-15, that I could get behind due to workload and matchup but a RB1 in the Finals? Yeesh.
You're right.  A 3rd string running back is inherently going to be risky so he should have been lower than RB8.  There was definitely some Kool-Aid quaffed.  But it did look like Boone was entering an ideal situation.  But it ended up being the situation that failed more than Boone.

This was far less about Boon IMHO and far more about a terrible MN offense last night.

Talk about a plain vanilla gameplan. Lack of aggressiveness. Horrible playcalling. You name it.

Yes, the GB D played better than usual, but MN just laid a complete egg on offense.

I'm not sure D. Cook would have made a difference.

A lot of people blaming Bloom. Yup, I'd say he was the highest on Boone, but across the board all the experts -- Yahoo, ESPN, FPros, you name it -- had Boone universally ranked at minimum between the #15 and #20 RBs this past week. 

Sometimes it doesn't work out.

I'm not sure D. Cook would have made a difference.
It's hard to know but he might have made a difference.  He has excelled even when the Vikings offensive line has sputtered.  And the defense would have paid more attention to Dalvin which would have opened things up a bit for Cousins.  There aren't many game-changing running backs in the NFL but Dalvin is one.

I was actually wondering if I should start him over Jones. What a joke. Ended up starting him over AJ Brown though... Thankfully it didn't matter. 

S. Bloom updated his projections last night in PPR...ahead of the Cook news. 

And wow...he's ranked #8 with 16 PPR points.

Name    Team    Opp    RSH    YD    TD    REC    YD    TD    FPT    
1    Christian McCaffrey    CAR    at IND    15    70    0.6    7.0    46    0.2    23.4    
2    Ezekiel Elliott    DAL    at PHI    20    85    0.8    3.0    19    0.1    18.8    
3    Joe Mixon    CIN    at MIA    20    94    0.5    3.0    21    0.1    18.1    
4    Saquon Barkley    NYG    at WAS    19    90    0.5    3.0    22    0.1    17.8    
5    Austin Ekeler    LAC    vs OAK    7    31    0.2    4.0    56    0.6    17.5    
6    Chris Carson    SEA    vs ARI    21    91    0.7    2.0    11    0.1    17.0    
7    Miles Sanders    PHI    vs DAL    16    61    0.3    4.0    26    0.3    16.3    
8    Mike Boone    MIN    vs GB    18    81    0.7    2.0    11    0.1    16.0    
9    Alvin Kamara    NO    at TEN    13    55    0.3    5.0    22    0.2    15.7    
10    Mark Ingram II    BAL    at CLE    14    71    0.5    2.0    17    0.3    15.6    

This is lunacy
Dude had him ranked over Kamara, Ingram, Henry, Jones LMAO

These guys have all been studs ALL year except maybe Kamara. Henry was top 3 RB, Jones had 17 TDs. How could anybody justify this ranking? There was not logical reason to rank him 8th.

Anyway, I started him over Chark at flex so it was the right choice lol but lost by 28 anyway so wouldn't have mattered.

Dude had him ranked over Kamara, Ingram, Henry, Jones LMAO

These guys have all been studs ALL year except maybe Kamara. Henry was top 3 RB, Jones had 17 TDs. How could anybody justify this ranking? There was not logical reason to rank him 8th.

Anyway, I started him over Chark at flex so it was the right choice lol but lost by 28 anyway so wouldn't have mattered.
Well to be fair, Henry was hurt and didn't end up playing. 

Bloom and Lammy practically came in their pants hyping him on the podcast. They both went on and on about “this is why we watch so much preseason! Boone is a GREAT player and he’d be starting on many teams!” 
seriously go and listen to them. And at the end of the day, yes it’s my fault for starting him but I invest a lot of time (and money) following FBGs. I understand the national narrative was all over “his fresh legs” etc. but I put my trust into these guys really knowing what he was capable of. 
The sad thing is I tell people all the time that one of the ways to still be successful in FF is to watch as much as you can to see players pass the “eye test.” I did not see Boone against SD. So I foolishly put my trust in Bloom and Lammy. 
Then last night comes and it’s clear by his third carry that, although he does have a huge motor, and he’s probably a good special teams player—he’s undersized and CANT CUT! He doesn’t have the elite skill set of Cook. And that’s my fault for blindly throwing a guy out there that I’d never watched. Three carries and it was obvious why he was third string and apparently became quite obvious to Minnesota that he was 4th string by the second half. 

But...I can’t get out of my head Sig’s SLAVSH AND LAVISH praise for this kid. I like Sig. But I’m deeply disappointed in him and Cecil. There is no way Boone should have been touted as a “GREAT PLAYER!” No way. They did a disservice to anyone with eyes who watched him play last night. 

So sad to see a bunch of Tuesday Morning QB reactions in here. You win some you lose some but you make the decisions. Stop blaming others. 

Is anyone blaming him? I see people holding him accountable which, since he's charging $$$ for a service here, is absolutely fair. Just like Poll Attacks in CBB. 

See no need to single the man out, especially as he gives free advice and a lot of his waking hours to this, and not just compensatory hours, I'm sure. Yeah, he blew this. I still can't believe so many of you were plugging and playing at this point and expecting it to work out right. 

I also can't imagine that the base level salary to do this stuff is that outstanding, but I don't have any insider knowledge or say on that. 

Nobody is blaming him.

It was a horrible ranking (8th). Impossible to justify. The only justification he had was he watched him in preseason.

Also not Tuesday Morning QB by me. I called his ranking lunacy immediately. He said the Minny running game was top notch. No. Cook was top notch.

Last edited by a moderator:
More than a few were all in on him too. The Fantasy Guru on Twitter said he was starting him in all his leagues. To his credit, immediately took the blame for a huge swing and miss. He also said CMC wouldn't be a top 8 RB this season either... 

Still, that guy hit way more than he missed this season, especially with WW flex plays and WR2-3 predictions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
See no need to single the man out, especially as he gives free advice and a lot of his waking hours to this, and not just compensatory hours, I'm sure. Yeah, he blew this. I still can't believe so many of you were plugging and playing at this point and expecting it to work out right. 

I also can't imagine that the base level salary to do this stuff is that outstanding, but I don't have any insider knowledge or say on that. 
free?

I'm sorry, I phrased that wrong. Yeah. The service subscription to get all access to rankings isn't free, but he answers a pretty demanding thread on Start/Sit on these boards (I'm assuming he runs it gratis) and seems always willing to give advice during Podcasts, on Twitter, etc.

Like I said, he blew this, but this is like people calling out Mike Clay for some stuff on ESPN about regressions to mean, etc. Clay trusts process, and I'm totally with him. That said, I understand the subscriber's lament here. The problem is that here there seemed to be no process, but a hunch and subsequent quantification.

I'm sorry, I phrased that wrong. Yeah. The service subscription to get all access to rankings isn't free, but he answers a pretty demanding thread on Start/Sit on these boards (I'm assuming he runs it gratis) and seems always willing to give advice during Podcasts, on Twitter, etc.

Like I said, he blew this, but this is like people calling out Mike Clay for some stuff on ESPN about regressions to mean, etc. Clay trusts process, and I'm totally with him. That said, I understand the subscriber's lament here. The problem is that here there seemed to be no process, but a hunch and subsequent quantification.
That's my problem. He fell in love with the guy watching him in preseason but looked at the whole situation with rose colored glasses. Never mind ignoring the obvious risks of Abdullah being the 3rd down RB, the fact that Cousins never won on MNF, the meaningless nature of the game for the Vikings, nor the whole fact that this guy was 3rd string all season and never got a sniff. There was a reason for that afterall.

Mike Boone played 18-of-54 offensive snaps in Minnesota's Week 16 loss to the Packers Monday night.

Boone initially got the start but rushed for 10/28 and 2.8 yards per carry through the first two quarters before riding the pine in favor of Ameer Abdullah following intermission. Boone failed to gain positive yardage on his only second-half touch. It was obviously a massive letdown (on Championship Week nonetheless) as many were depending on him in what was projected as a terrific spot on the ground against Green Bay. He may get another crack at the starting gig in Week 17, but Dalvin Cook (shoulder) and Alexander Mattison (ankle) will clearly be ahead of Boone in the pecking order when the Vikings return with all hands on deck for Wild Card weekend.

Dec 24, 2019, 8:16 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread