What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Mike Boone, DEN (2 Viewers)

Too bad he isn't a FA. Stuck as the third stringer he doesn't hold much value for next year despite showing some talent.

I still maintain that it was only a bad call to start Boone in hindsight. It was simply a classic case of "any given Sunday" (or Monday, in this instance).

Occasionally game script kills fantasy players, and there isn't a darn thing anyone can do about it. They flop, plain and simple.

Also, just because the kid had a horrible game does not mean he's completely worthless, or that he wouldn't have had a terrific game under different circumstances. It just wasn't his night....or ours. It happens. In fact, that's fantasy football 101.
155 total yards and a TD today against the Bears. Dominated touches.

We were right all along.

Just one of those "weird game script" instances that are beyond our control. The "luck" portion of FF ended our seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
i’m on the fence if boone is worth a dynasty bench stash in wait and see mode. 

if cook does hold out i just don’t see a bell cow running game with mattison.  maybe boone gets some volume.

what are the thoughts around here?

Vikings Film Room: The Marvelous Mike Boon

I apologize for Andy Carlson who can be pretty annoying at times, but he does a really good job with the cut ups of these plays and analyzing the blocking.

With the last play he points out an instance of Boone not seeing the best hole and that is my main criticism of his game. Boone is a gifted athlete even by NFL standards, the main thing that is missing from his skillset as a RB are his instincts and vision. This always worries me with a RB because these skills are hard to measure and a lot of otherwise good RB have failed for lacking vision, see Trent Richardson for example.

Boone shows improvement as demonstrated by a couple of these plays where he does set up his blocking and makes some big plays that without him recognizing and executing what he sees would have been much smaller gains. That is a key for me because vision is something that some players just never develop. As Andy says in the video Boone is a converted WR who doesn't have as much experience as a RB as a lot of other RB in the league do. He is showing improvement in reading his blocks and timing to get free.

The play Andy talks about is an example of Boone not seeing his best option and I don't think he is out of the woods yet as far as that goes. It may still be something that holds him back going forward, but to see the improvement is really nice.

To me the main difference between Dalvin Cook and Mike Boone is that Cook sees these small holes consistently and takes advantage of these opportunities while creating space on his own as the main difference between them. The gap between Cook and Boone as far as this goes is huge in my opinion. It is part of what makes Cook so good as a receiver on screen passes as well. I think Cook has better footwork and change of direction ability than Boone as well but Boone is no slouch when he sees it he can rack up a lot of yards quickly as well.

As I was saying in the Dalvin Cook thread, if Cook for whatever reason were out of the picture, I don't think Alexander Mattison automatically becomes the Vikings feature RB. I would definitely expect Mattison to start over Boone, but it might be more of a running back by competition situation, and they will still use a 2nd RB same as they will with Cook as the starter, but the carries for the COP may increase in that situation.

Reasons to think this would not happen are Kubiaks history of eventually settling on one RB as the primary guy and it being more likely that this would be Mattison than Boone. Mattison hand picked by Kubiak, Boone UDFA, Mattison still the more experienced RB lots of reps in college and a larger player than Boone, likely better than Boone in pass protection. Mattison proved he was a great fit for what the Vikings want to do. Many commented how they could not tell the difference between Cook and Mattison at times last year because Mattisons game did translate to the next level and imagine that the coaches actually know what they are doing when picking players who will be successful in their systems.

That said I do not think Mattison has the same speed and burst that Cook and Boone have. Boone could be the COP to Mattison and still gain more yards in games because of the big play ability.

I do think Mike Boone is worth having on your roster, if for nothing more than to try to sell news like Cook possibly holding out.

Maybe Boone doesn't belong on rosters in leagues that only have 200 to 250 total players kept at one time, but in ones that roster more players than that I think he is worth having.

Best NFL free-agency signings: Bill Barnwell picks the contracts he likes and favorite value deals of 2021

Excerpt:

7. RB Mike Boone to Denver

The deal: Two years, $2.6 million with the Broncos

All Boone has done as a pro is produce. Working as the third back in Minnesota over the past three years, he has turned 71 carries into 379 yards and four touchdowns, including a 17-148-1 line in Week 17 against the Bears and their 10th-ranked rush defense by DVOA in 2019. He has actually seen more action in the preseason, where his 90 carries have produced 391 yards and three scores, along with 13 catches for 145 receiving yards. Boone had good measurables coming out of college at Cincinnati and played about half of the special-teams snaps for the Vikings over the past couple of years. He profiles like the sort of back who could emerge as a No. 1 if given the opportunity, and he should have a key member of the organization in his corner, given that new Broncos general manager George Paton just joined the team from Minnesota.

Meanwhile, the Broncos have question marks at running back. Melvin Gordon had a wildly inconsistent season in his debut with Denver, ranking 44th out of 47 backs in success rate while seeing his receiving efficiency crater and his fumbles continue. It appeared as if the Broncos might have voided Gordon's 2021 guarantee of $4.5 million after the running back was arrested on DUI charges during the season, but those charges were dropped in March, and he will likely be on the roster.

More realistically, Boone might be ticketed for the Phillip Lindsay role in the offense. The 5-foot-8 back has flashed over the past few years, but he struggled to stay healthy in 2020 and ranked 47th out of those 47 qualifying backs in success rate. The Colorado product is now an unrestricted free agent after the Broncos rescinded their original-round tender.

At worst, Boone should be the No. 3 back for the Broncos. If Lindsay signs elsewhere and/or if Gordon continues to underwhelm, there's an opportunity for Boone to do more. The evidence we have suggests that he could be an above-average option if given the chance. He's closer to that chance in Denver.

I picked him up off the wire as a WTF add to the end of my bench but does anyone think Royce Freeman is in front of him, behind Gordon?

I picked him up off the wire as a WTF add to the end of my bench but does anyone think Royce Freeman is in front of him, behind Gordon?
If I had to guess, I'd say Royce Freeman will be the primary backup to Gordon, but this should be an open competition.  

Maybe John Elway does.

I think Boone has some issues with his vision, timing and spatial awareness, otherwise he has fantastic tools to be a RB. 

Former assistant GM of the Vikings George Payton would be as familiar with Boone as anybody could be.

I have never though that highly of Freeman to begin with despite the hoopla a lot of folks have made about him.

MIKE BOONE RB, DENVER BRONCOS

Broncos head coach Vic Fangio said the team would "utilize all three" of their running backs in 2021. 

Free agency signing Mike Boone seemed like an afterthought in the Denver offense after the team moved up to draft North Carolina RB Javonte Williams. Fangio, however, seemed to keep the light on for Boone as a weekly contributor. "Hopefully this year with our three backs — [Mike] Boone being one of them, who we really like that we signed in free agency — we'll get a nice flow and get a good understanding and philosophy of the system which we'll take from week to week to utilize all three of them," Fangio said. That Melvin Gordon remains the favorite to lead the backfield early in the season doesn't preclude Williams taking over as the team's primary ball carrier. Denver general manager recently described Williams as a "special back" and a "three-down back" who excels in pass protection. Williams and Gordon will likely have similar ADPs by August. 

RELATED: 

Melvin Gordon

, Javonte Williams

SOURCE: DenverBroncos.com 

May 17, 2021, 9:40 AM ET

thread title change @Elevencents?

Broncos placed RB Mike Boone on injured reserve with a quad injury. 

The designation will not become official until after final cuts, which will enable Boone to return in as few as three weeks. Had it become official Tuesday morning, he would have been out for the season. Boone was slapped with a 4-6 timeline upon going down three weeks ago. Although he is a potentially dangerous change-of-pace, Boone is also buried as the No. 3 on the depth chart, and would need an injury to Javonte Williams or Melvin Gordon to become fantasy relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have Melvin Gordon, need to add a kicker and I'm thinking this little gem might be the best free space (IR eligible) going on the waiver wire.   Has to be worth a bench spot if Javonte or Melvin go down while he's out.

Broncos placed RB Mike Boone on the reserve/COVID list.

Boone reportedly didn't feel good at the start of Friday's practice, requested a test, and was promptly removed from the practice field and placed in COVID protocols. With close contacts still pending, it's entirely possible Denver's running backs room is thinned out by Saturday afternoon. It's a situation to monitor over the weekend.

RELATED: 

Melvin Gordon

, Javonte Williams

SOURCE: Jeff Legwold on Twitter

Dec 10, 2021, 3:29 PM ET

This ####### guy 
This is an accurate sentiment.

He does have a lot of speed. Enough ability to get you interested but he lacks some of the intangible things and has face planted in games where he had opportunity in the past. So really hard to trust him even if that situation opens up for him again.

This is an accurate sentiment.

He does have a lot of speed. Enough ability to get you interested but he lacks some of the intangible things and has face planted in games where he had opportunity in the past. So really hard to trust him even if that situation opens up for him again.

Not even just that but coming to the facility when he doesn't feel well then get's tested with covid, possibly close contacts to Javonte and Melvin lol 

What’s the chat here then ? 👀 How much play does he get alongside Gordon ?
Short week, not sure...but if Gordon fumbles early (and he has fumbled every game)...all plans go out the window.

Yeah I’ve been sitting on No.1 waiver priority so far this season and am having a nightmare 1-3 start. There’s only so long you can wait for the golden egg, just trying to work out if this could be it even if it takes a week or two

Short week, not sure...but if Gordon fumbles early (and he has fumbled every game)...all plans go out the window.

Yeah I’ve been sitting on No.1 waiver priority so far this season and am having a nightmare 1-3 start. There’s only so long you can wait for the golden egg, just trying to work out if this could be it even if it takes a week or two
The drop off in talent and skill from Javonte Williams to Mike Boone, golden egg?
4 touches in the game this past Sunday
Have you seen his stats his Jr and Sr year of college at Cinci? 4 full college years, undrafted and for good reason.
Highest number of rushing attempts in a season is 49 and his next 2 closest are 11 and 11.
I would use extreme caution

The drop off in talent and skill from Javonte Williams to Mike Boone, golden egg?
4 touches in the game this past Sunday
Have you seen his stats his Jr and Sr year of college at Cinci? 4 full college years, undrafted and for good reason.
Highest number of rushing attempts in a season is 49 and his next 2 closest are 11 and 11.
I would use extreme caution
He always impressed me during preseason with the Vikings (yes, I know preseason) but he just had too much talent ahead of him to get on the field.

Right...and Im in a league (with very limited moves) where I now have high ankle sprain in Jonathon Taylor...inactive every other game in Kamara...and fumbling Gordon. Hoping they keep some trust in Gordon.

They've got to bring somebody in, one would think. Check the wire for PS squad guys. Boone isn't carrying the load for them, most likely.

It's Gordon or bust right now until they add somebody.

Devine Ozigbo​

The Broncos have carried just three running backs on their active roster to begin the 2022 campaign. They now have two with Williams hurt and heading for IR. The good news is they have another back stashed on their practice squad who will likely be the next man up at the position, at least ahead of their "Thursday Night Football" matchup against the Colts in Week 5.

That would be Devine Ozigbo. The 26-year-old Ozigbo signed with the Saints as an undrafted free agent in 2019 and is now with his fourth different NFL team. He spent time with the Saints (three stints), Jaguars (two stints) and Patriots (one stint) before the Broncos claimed him off waivers on Aug. 22, 2022.

Ozigbo hasn't logged much NFL action over his career and has been better as a receiver than a running back. He has 13 career catches for 72 yards and 25 rushing yards on 11 carries. Most of that came in 2019 and 2020 with the Jaguars.

If the Broncos decide they want a more proven option at the running back position, then they could pursue players like Jalen Richard, Devonta Freeman or David Johnson. Additionally, the team could go after a player like Dexter Williams, a former Green Bay draft pick who has experience in Hackett's offensive systems.

It’s so quiet in here. He is the highest recommended WW pick up in most of my leagues as per FBG. I’m not sure what to do.

What are you guys doing? Passing? Small interest? Med or All in?

It’s so quiet in here. He is the highest recommended WW pick up in most of my leagues as per FBG. I’m not sure what to do.

Best opportunity =/= great value. He's a below average RB on a below average offense, in a committee.

Not worth blowing a budget over. If you can get him cheap-mid budget range AND you're desperate at the position, go for it.

Best opportunity =/= great value. He's a below average RB on a below average offense, in a committee.

Not worth blowing a budget over. If you can get him cheap-mid budget range AND you're desperate at the position, go for it.
That’s the thing, outside of one league that I had JW in, I’m not needy at RB. So I think I’m going to be passing in most leagues.

Their OC came out and indicated Gordon would be "carry the load". Obviously he's gonna have to hold onto the ball or he won't be carrying the ball much (if at all). I think that's the reason they picked up Murray TBH if Gordon's fumbling issues continue.

If definitely wouldn't be blowing my load on Boone. I'd rather grab a RB I like BEFORE injury occurs than pay a premium for Boone. I'd probably grab Murray after waivers (assuming he clears) than pay big for Boone.

Mike Boone rushed seven times for 38 yards in the Broncos' loss to the Colts, adding three receptions for 47 additional yards.​

Boone reeled in a Russell Wilson screen pass late in the third quarter and turned it upfield for a 34-yard gain -- his longest play of the afternoon. Serving as the clear No. 2 behind Melvin Gordon, Boone saw 10 opportunities to Gordon's 18, and will likely serve as Gordon's immediate backup in Week 6 against the Jaguars. Boone is nothing more than a speculative deep-league stash, as the Broncos could just as easily promote Latavius Murray from the practice squad if they're in search of running back help.
Oct 7, 2022, 1:14 AM ET

Mike Boone rushed four times for 23 yards in the Broncos' Week 7 loss to the Jets.

Boone left in the second half with an ankle injury and was ruled out. Surprisingly, Boone was not targeted in the passing game by backup quarterback Brett Rypien. He was a distant No. 3 behind Melvin Gordon and Latavius Murray on the ground. It seemed like it might finally be Boone's moment after Javonte Williams was lost to a torn ACL, but the Broncos could not wait to play journeyman Murray over him. There is little light at the end of the 12-team tunnel for 27-year-old Boone.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread