What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (1 Viewer)

It's been over three hours since the last pick. Abrantes wouldn't care if he is skipped, so let's move on and turn this thing around. @Dr. Octopus are you back? If not, I'll go.

8.15 - Between the Country by Ian Noe (2019)

Ian Noe is a country folk singer-songwriter from East Tennessee.  Between the Country is his debut album. He sings songs about the area he grew up in. It isn't a cheery album, but it is a great album all the way through. If you like John Prine or Townes Van Zandt (or even Bob Dylan), I think you'll like this. I love it.

Irene (Raven Bomb)

Meth Head

Letter to Madeline

If Today Doesn't Do Me In

Last edited by a moderator:

Album: Sound & Fury

Artist: Sturgill Simpson

Release Year: 2019

A Good Look

Mercury In Retrograde

Remember To Breathe

This record was spotlighted after @simey drafted his first album at 1.01. I also mentioned back then that Simpson was my fifth most listened to artist in 2019 on Spotify. While his other two records were in my rotation as well this one probably put him over the top. When I got the email that it first dropped I anxiously played it and at first I wasn't sure what to think. Country music with synths and an electronic beat? But it grew on me during that first listen and more so as time went on. It's brilliant and my record of the year for 2019.

A Good Look

Mercury In Retrograde

Remember To Breathe

This record was spotlighted after @simey drafted his first album at 1.01. I also mentioned back then that Simpson was my fifth most listened to artist in 2019 on Spotify. While his other two records were in my rotation as well this one probably put him over the top. When I got the email that it first dropped I anxiously played it and at first I wasn't sure what to think. Country music with synths and an electronic beat? But it grew on me during that first listen and more so as time went on. It's brilliant and my record of the year for 2019.
Sniped.  My most played record last year.  By a lot.  Upcoming Sturgill and Childers tour is gonna be great.

Rd 4 U.F.O.F. by Big Thief (2019)

genre: folk rock

The impact is so quiet you might miss it, but it’s revelatory enough that you can’t escape it. -Rolling Stone

Everything is made from the same matter. Some part of all of us is capable of submitting to darkness, just as some part of all of us is capable of conjuring light. - Olivia Horn

Cattails

UFOF

Open Desert
@General Malaise I feel like this is your style 

8.04  Destroyer - Kaputt (2011)

Dan Bejar is a favorite of mine. Every album is musically creative and different from the last and all contain his consistently crazy, somewhat stream-of-consciousness lyricism.  

This album was a huge shift and after reading the early descriptions I never thought I'd love it as much as I did/do.  It's a trip best enjoyed with headphones at 1 a.m. 

Savage Night at the Opera

Suicide Demo for Kara Walker

Bay of Pigs (Detail)

8.04  Destroyer - Kaputt (2011)

Dan Bejar is a favorite of mine. Every album is musically creative and different from the last and all contain his consistently crazy, somewhat stream-of-consciousness lyricism.  

This album was a huge shift and after reading the early descriptions I never thought I'd love it as much as I did/do.  It's a trip best enjoyed with headphones at 1 a.m. 

Savage Night at the Opera

Suicide Demo for Kara Walker

Bay of Pigs (Detail)
I can't wait for his new album at the end of January, love the first couple songs he's released. 

I had TVOTRs Seeds on my list, but misremembered only a couple great songs with a bunch of weak tunes in support. Listening through on shuffle, it's much better throughout than I remembered

Thanks, GB.  I look forward to hearing from them.  

Went through and counted up the number of new "liked" songs I now have thanks to this draft and tied with Beth Hart is a band called Allah-Las. 

Tons of new songs in my liked library.  So happy about this draft. 
You should check into our yearly, running new album music thread...mostly indie snobby stuff, but a good source of keeping up with some good current music.

A Good Look

Mercury In Retrograde

Remember To Breathe

This is probably one of my favorite albums of the decade that is not on my top-20 of the decade list.  However, I have a feeling that if I were to re-do the list in a year or two, it would be pretty darn close to the top.  P.S. It is probably going to be #3 or #4 on my AoTY list depending on which way the wind is blowing when I finalize my list.  (Hi NV!) 

This is probably one of my favorite albums of the decade that is not on my top-20 of the decade list.  However, I have a feeling that if I were to re-do the list in a year or two, it would be pretty darn close to the top.  P.S. It is probably going to be #3 or #4 on my AoTY list depending on which way the wind is blowing when I finalize my list.  (Hi NV!) 
:bye:

At least I have an excuse for delaying it this year but you're right, maybe I should start the thread and get things rolling so the focus can shift to this once we've finished up. I've got my "planning day" tomorrow, I'll get that fired up and I think I'll start a 2020 albums thread too, kupcho is awol.

It's almost noon est., and I'm going to lunch.  I have to go out of town next Wednesday evening, and I won't be back until the following Sunday. Skip me when that time comes.

It's almost noon est., and I'm going to lunch.  I have to go out of town next Wednesday evening, and I won't be back until the following Sunday. Skip me when that time comes.
Per Eephus we'll be at a one pick per day schedule at that point.

Slow day. It's 1:40 pm est, and we have only had two makeup picks so far.  Anyway, I went in Whole Foods during lunch, and they had some vegan chicken fried tofu on their hot bar. :towelwave:   I love that stuff. I only go in there now and then since it is about 20 minutes away, but I wanted to go there and get a kids wide mouth hydro flask, which is equivalent to an adult sippy cup. It was 30% off if you have Prime. Last time I was there they didn't have any of that tofu out, but this time I got lucky. 🍀

It looks like the draft order is dying a slow death today.

Anybody have any objections to declaring open season on round #9.  If none, you can post your 9th rounder beginning at the top of the hour.

ETA:  Thanks to everybody who's been updating the draft sheet and playlist

9.xx  Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse (2013)

I've been on here talking about this band fairly frequently.  I think there are a few other fans. 

Still crushes me thinking about Scott Hutchison's suicide.  I saw them live many times and he was always such a great frontman in concert.  I bought him a whiskey or two over the years in those small SLC clubs they were playing.  He was always gracious.

This band also has special meaning to me because I introduced them to my youngest daughter when she was going to the UK for a People to People trip when she was 14.  I made her a playlist of dozens of artists from Ireland, Wales and Scotland.  She came home raving about Frightened Rabbit and to this day it's still her favorite band (she's 20 now).  We still bond over our mutual love of this band and Scott Hutchison's other bands.

This may be my favorite overall album of theirs or at least 1a. to 1. The Midnight Organ Fight (2008).

Acts of Man

State Hospital

The Oil Slick

OK, here's the plan to finish this up.

Round 9 and any makeups - Today
10 - Friday
11 - Saturday
12 - Sunday
13 - Monday
14 - Tuesday
15/16 - Wednesday
17/18 - Thursday
19/20 - Friday

The draft order held up nearly halfway to the archipelago it seems like time to go to the next phase.

If you're like @simey and need to finish early, you can do so at any time after we go to two picks per day. 

Olly olly oxen free

Round 9 is open.
Okay captain, I'll proceed as I'm tied up the rest of the day....

9.15  Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth 2016 (fitting for a deserted island)

I best take what's left of his albums while it's still available.  I'm a latecomer to the Sturgill party, but I jumped in with both feet, hands, and any other body part I have two of :oldunsure:

This one is funky and as I mentioned a time or ten, I love me some horns.  Trombone, sax, tuba you name it.  Get those horns blasting with a great band leader like Sturgill and you have me rocking and a rolling.  Here, have some of Keep It Between the Lines  live.  Yup.  

And there's still some of his country heart on here in songs like Breakers Roar.  Country heart sped up a little with Sea Stories and then, oh sweet hallelujah, he covers Nirvana of all bands:   In Bloom

Got a good little mix of all my faves for album living.  I don't even think I need rescue, tbh. 

Courtney Barnett, Kurt Vile, Radiohead, My Morning Jacket, Sturgill Simpson, Deer Hunter, Wooden Shjips, TV on the Radio and my gal Taylor Swift.  Just keep sailing on, sailors.  

9.13 - Max Richter/Antonio Vivaldi - Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi – The Four Seasons (2014)

The biggest change in my music listening in the 2010s was the inclusion of more Classical music.  The breakthough was aided by Spotify allowing me to listen to multiple versions of a single piece of music.  Hearing the differences in interpretation was a revelation that made music from centuries ago come alive for me.

German/British composer Richter takes this a step further by "recomposing" Vivaldi's Baroque warhorse.  Richter claims he used about 25% of Vivaldi's music; you can hear motifs from the original but seldom in a direct fashion.  The early 18th century compositions have been reworked three centuries later with minimalist repetition and occasional atonality but there remains a familiarity to the music which makes it a perfect gateway to modern Classical.  Richter sticks with the original's format (four concertos with three movements each) and  instrumentation (a solo violin, a chamber orchestra and a harpsichord).  The digital release includes five additional soundscapes entitled Shadows 1-5 but the twelve pieces that comprise the Four Seasons are the main attraction.

Spring 1

Summer 2

Autumn 1

Winter 3

9.13 - Max Richter/Antonio Vivaldi - Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi – The Four Seasons (2014)

The biggest change in my music listening in the 2010s was the inclusion of more Classical music.  The breakthough was aided by Spotify allowing me to listen to multiple versions of a single piece of music.  Hearing the differences in interpretation was a revelation that made music from centuries ago come alive for me.

German/British composer Richter takes this a step further by "recomposing" Vivaldi's Baroque warhorse.  Richter claims he used about 25% of Vivaldi's music; you can hear motifs from the original but seldom in a direct fashion.  The early 18th century compositions have been reworked three centuries later with minimalist repetition and occasional atonality but there remains a familiarity to the music which makes it a perfect gateway to modern Classical.  Richter sticks with the original's format (four concertos with three movements each) and  instrumentation (a solo violin, a chamber orchestra and a harpsichord).  The digital release includes five additional soundscapes entitled Shadows 1-5 but the twelve pieces that comprise the Four Seasons are the main attraction.

Spring 1

Summer 2

Autumn 1

Winter 3
I look forward to these change-ups on the playlist. :thumbup:

Rd 9 Nothing was the Same by Drake (2013)

genre: hip-hop

After a while, his confessions start to sound like sneaky boasts about all the beautiful hearts he's broken. And maybe he wants you to see that contradiction. After all, hiding his flaws has never been Drake's style – they're the whole point. - Rolling Stone

Hip-hop music hasn't been blurred and stretched this wide since Kanye's 808s & Heartbreak. - Vibe

Worst Behavior

The Language

Hold On, We’re Going Home

Users who are viewing this thread