Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
The Commish

Florida Politics

Recommended Posts

Wonder what happened to following the guidelines?  I mean, I don't REALLY wonder and it's totally expected but man.  Take it upon yourselves to do the right thing guys...stay safe :football: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Wonder what happened to following the guidelines?  I mean, I don't REALLY wonder and it's totally expected but man.  Take it upon yourselves to do the right thing guys...stay safe :football: 

Apparently a bunch of people are fine with 2300 deaths per day from Covid 19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can sit on the beach in a chair with umbrella but not on a blanket or towel, that would be sunbathing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smart or Lucky? How Florida Dodged the Worst of Coronavirus

Quote

MIAMI—When the coronavirus pandemic swept toward Florida, public-health professionals nationally warned of a potentially devastating wave of infections that could imperil the state’s large senior population.

But so far, the state seems to have dodged that fate, despite not following advice to impose measures such as an early, blanket lockdown to minimize spread.

With Gov. Ron DeSantis preparing to start reopening the state on Monday, epidemiologists and others are asking: What happened? Was Florida smart or lucky?

The answer may be a bit of both. Mr. DeSantis restricted visitation to nursing homes but he left early lockdown decisions to local authorities. Mayors in some hard-hit large communities shut down faster and more aggressively than the state, gaining valuable time.

Walt Disney World closed two weeks before the statewide order. Spring breakers, who packed Florida beaches and bars until mid-March, went back home. Some scientists point to Florida’s low population density, while others to its subtropical climate to explain fewer infections.

A key factor, many say, is a change in the behavior of Floridians. Though the governor didn’t impose a statewide stay-at-home order until April 3, people began hunkering down en masse in mid-March, according to firms that analyze anonymous cellphone data.

That was around the same time deaths in the U.S. topped 100 and residents of New York, many of whom have ties to Florida, started staying home. The pandemic’s progression in Florida was about a week behind its trajectory in New York, so that social-distancing measures effectively kicked in earlier, said Thomas Hladish, research scientist at the University of Florida Emerging Pathogens Institute.

“In the early, exponential-growth phase of an epidemic, starting an intervention a week earlier is absolutely huge,” he said.

I've been critical in this thread of DeSantis' response, but he may just manage to pull this off. I will definitely admit that, even in Miami, things so far haven't gotten as bad as I feared they might. The article even mentions that The Villages, which I was sure would be Ground Zero, has only had 72 total cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zftcg said:

Smart or Lucky? How Florida Dodged the Worst of Coronavirus

I've been critical in this thread of DeSantis' response, but he may just manage to pull this off. I will definitely admit that, even in Miami, things so far haven't gotten as bad as I feared they might. The article even mentions that The Villages, which I was sure would be Ground Zero, has only had 72 total cases.

The only "dumb" things he's done in my view are some of the things considered "essential" and not shutting down the spring breakers.  The spring breakers thing wasn't going to be a direct impact to us as a state, but how crappy would it be to send a bunch of people back to their states after being in the petri dish of our beaches?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JamieMurphy said:

Also grossly under reporting the deaths could be a contributing factor to the “success”:

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/department-health-underreporting-covid-19-deaths-orange-osceola-counties/EXM4XIHMCJDABBPBJD3JIVYL4U/

Well this is just dumb.  I haven't cared all that much about death rate in terms of "success" in any of this.  Primarily because the testing has been so bad and we still aren't confident when this whole thing started here.  Death rate and/or deaths are based on incomplete stats.  I'll look at those after we have this for a couple seasons and we can better capture the numbers.  What my focus has been is on the number of positive cases and spread....without the virus, one can't die from the virus.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're wondering why Patients in Florida is trending, it is because Florida had it's first suspected cases of covid19 in early Jan. It was only reported two months later. The Health Department website that published this data mysteriously went down yesterday, only to pop back up again with the data scrubbed. If you believe anything DeSantis and this regime are reporting I got swamp land to sell you:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20200505/coronavirus-florida-patients-in-florida-had-symptoms-as-early-as-january

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JamieMurphy said:

If you're wondering why Patients in Florida is trending, it is because Florida had it's first suspected cases of covid19 in early Jan. It was only reported two months later. The Health Department website that published this data mysteriously went down yesterday, only to pop back up again with the data scrubbed. If you believe anything DeSantis and this regime are reporting I got swamp land to sell you:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20200505/coronavirus-florida-patients-in-florida-had-symptoms-as-early-as-january

That article says multiple times "had symptoms or a positive result"....

If they don't have concrete evidence of positive results and are only looking at symptoms, that doesn't say much at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where would you assign the blame for the unemployment payment issues?  DeSantis?  Former Governor Rick Scott?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Where would you assign the blame for the unemployment payment issues?  DeSantis?  Former Governor Rick Scott?

Yup

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Morgan just made an offer to go after the company that screwed the state for $77M in the unemployment scandal. Morgan said he wouldn’t charge the state anything for his firm’s work, and any recouped money should go to the unemployed. 

Link

On another note, Nikki Fried is blaming DeSantis and Rick Scott.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

John Morgan just made an offer to go after the company that screwed the state for $77M in the unemployment scandal. Morgan said he wouldn’t charge the state anything for his firm’s work, and any recouped money should go to the unemployed. 

Link

On another note, Nikki Fried is blaming DeSantis and Rick Scott.

Good ol John Morgan gonna help out everyone just like he did with medical marijuana?  Failed to mention or disclose his interest in one of the half dozen companies that have been allowed to sell it.  Then conveniently cant come up with the money to get recreational on the ballot.  This guy is the king of ambulance chasers.  I don't trust a thing he says.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about this, but wtf is he talking about $77million dollar rip off?  I'm assuming it was the cost of the antiquated system we have in place.  Iirc, this is the same system that they had during the 2008 recession.  Unless they recently paid $77 mil for an upgrade, is he talking about the price paid decades ago?  I'm sure the tech company hosed the tax payers as they normally do,  but is he expecting a decades old software system to work flawlessly?  Throwing around the term "rip-off" is a charlatan move to rule up the audience and get them on his side.  

I don't think we got "ripped off".   I think politicians failed to prioritize a system that could handle the amount of people unemployed during a global epidemic.  Maybe we should have been paying for a new system instead paying tourism dollars to Pitbull, doing Everglades restoration, building new roads. Who knows?  Quite the dilemma the politicians finding themselves in after the fact.  

 

Edited by Punxsutawney Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

John Morgan just made an offer to go after the company that screwed the state for $77M in the unemployment scandal. Morgan said he wouldn’t charge the state anything for his firm’s work, and any recouped money should go to the unemployed. 

Link

On another note, Nikki Fried is blaming DeSantis and Rick Scott.

Water is wet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Kal El said:
1 hour ago, Osaurus said:

I get the sensation that the higher ups learned data dissemination procedures from places with decidedly less freedom of the press.

Not really a surprise.  We are starting to see hotspots pop up.  My MIL works as an ER nurse out in Belle Glade (by the lake) and they are seeing significant spikes at the hospital.  It's getting pretty bad.  Of course, that's not the most affluent part of Palm Beach County, so it probably won't get on the news...hope I'm wrong.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Not really a surprise.  We are starting to see hotspots pop up.  My MIL works as an ER nurse out in Belle Glade (by the lake) and they are seeing significant spikes at the hospital.  It's getting pretty bad.  Of course, that's not the most affluent part of Palm Beach County, so it probably won't get on the news...hope I'm wrong.

I'm working at a hospital(electrical projects are still happening) in Martin County, and they are taking no chances. Indiantown is apparently getting hit hard now as well, and that's a poorer area here. It did make the news here, but my main point of contention with this supposed data suppression is the fact that if it is happening, they're intentionally putting lives at risk for the sake of the economy. 

Edited by Kal El

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kal El said:

I'm working at a hospital(electrical projects are still happening) in Martin County, and they are taking no chances. Indiantown is apparently getting hit hard now as well, and that's a poorer area here. It did make the news here, but my main point of contention with this supposed data suppression is the fact that if it is happening, they're intentionally putting lives at risk for the sake of the economy. 

Well, yeah.  We always knew that would be the choice and how they'd choose though right?  I'm pretty confident it's happening all over the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Well, yeah.  We always knew that would be the choice and how they'd choose though right?  I'm pretty confident it's happening all over the place.

That's the problem. Money is not more important than people, but apparently the fact that we're losing almost a 9/11's worth of people about every day and a half isn't enough of a deterrent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kal El said:

That's the problem. Money is not more important than people, but apparently the fact that we're losing almost a 9/11's worth of people about every day and a half isn't enough of a deterrent.

Preaching to the choir brother!  The motivations of our state government became crystal clear when it was announced that Florida was open to any/all sporting teams to have their seasons here.  "Everyone is welcome".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This article hits home for me bc I work in data and I create these types of dashboards. My client is a state agency and while I only provide tools for data consumption, there is often an assumption that when “necessary”, we should stray from objectivity. I try to remove myself from situations like that and give the responsibility to the decision makers. Not surprisingly, they don’t often assume it. 

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Preaching to the choir brother!  The motivations of our state government became crystal clear when it was announced that Florida was open to any/all sporting teams to have their seasons here.  "Everyone is welcome".

Florida is a tourism driven state, but there has to be a better way to get through this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kal El said:

Florida is a tourism driven state, but there has to be a better way to get through this.

In my view, the best way through for ANY state is to be open and honest and let the consumer decide on their own.  From the beginning I've been an advocate of the "bubble up" approach and having enough accurate information in the hands of the people so they drive this and businesses adapt to their decisions.  Obviously, that isn't happening, but that to me seems like the best way to go about it.  And yes, I am fully aware that this approach will mean many businesses go out of business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Commish said:

In my view, the best way through for ANY state is to be open and honest and let the consumer decide on their own.  From the beginning I've been an advocate of the "bubble up" approach and having enough accurate information in the hands of the people so they drive this and businesses adapt to their decisions.  Obviously, that isn't happening, but that to me seems like the best way to go about it.  And yes, I am fully aware that this approach will mean many businesses go out of business.

Right, economically speaking, it's going to do damage, and some businesses will shutter. The same thing happens after storms as well, and while it sucks, these things happen. A bankruptcy is a bad thing, but you're far better off with your life and a chance to start another business instead of the alternative. This virus isn't going anywhere, not until there's either an effective virus, or people realize that selfish behavior is prolonging this needlessly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Strong words from Rebekah Jones, PhD in geography from FSU, who was managing the acclaimed dashboard:

>> "As a word of caution, I would not expect the new team to continue the same level of accessibility and transparency that I made central to the process during the first two months. After all, my commitment to both is largely (arguably entirely) the reason I am no longer managing it." <<

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't want to buy into conspiracies, so I hope these reports aren't true, but man, it's definitely something we need to keep an eye on. Also, to @The Commish's point, I also really hope that the fact that poorer communities like Belle Glade are getting hit hard allows everyone else to feel like they can ignore it. It would be truly monstrous if we ended up using low-wage workers as cannon fodder in our efforts to reopen the economy, particularly if Congress also gives companies legal impunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Belle Glade FL led the world in aids in 1985! 

Now it just became a COVID hotspot. It is smalltown, mostly minority.

I can remember watching the Bobby Bowden show and he would be commenting last week's game, "and there goes Sammy Smith, Belle Glade FL superstar."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

Belle Glade FL led the world in aids in 1985! 

Now it just became a COVID hotspot. It is smalltown, mostly minority.

I can remember watching the Bobby Bowden show and he would be commenting last week's game, "and there goes Sammy Smith, Belle Glade FL superstar."

My wife's family is there...in the 20+ years I have known that town, it's really gone down hill.  It's brutal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Commish said:

My wife's family is there...in the 20+ years I have known that town, it's really gone down hill.  It's brutal.  

I have a friend who teaches music out there, or did before everything went sideways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SoBeDad said:

The Rebekah Jones story gets more interesting. Fired for insubordination. An ongoing stalking case against her. She says she wrote every line of code in the dashboard, which was praised by Dr. Birx.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article242851256.html

These dashboards are essentially out of the box ready. I know bc I make them. The FDOH dashboard does have some customization, but it’s not some groundbreaking award winning tool imo. 

Edited by Osaurus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

Belle Glade FL led the world in aids in 1985! 

Now it just became a COVID hotspot. It is smalltown, mostly minority.

I can remember watching the Bobby Bowden show and he would be commenting last week's game, "and there goes Sammy Smith, Belle Glade FL superstar."

Steve Spurrier on Fred Taylor maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Commish said:

My wife's family is there...in the 20+ years I have known that town, it's really gone down hill.  It's brutal.  

Sounds awful there

For a time during the early to mid 1980s, the city had the highest rate of AIDS infection per capita (37 cases in a population of roughly 19,000) in the United States.[14] According to the FBI, in 2003, the city had the second highest violent crime rate in the country at 298 per 10,000 residents. In 2010, the Palm Beach County sheriff's office estimated that half of the young men in Belle Glade between the ages of 18 and 25 had felony convictions

In 2000, the median income for a household in the city was $22,715, and the median income for a family was $26,756.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Osaurus said:

These dashboards are essentially out of the box ready. I know bc I make them. The FDOH dashboard does have some customization, but it’s not some groundbreaking award winning tool imo. 

I wouldn't downplay her coding ability.  It's really easy to learn.  https://youtu.be/VDRK0MyuuIM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, the moops said:

Sounds awful there

For a time during the early to mid 1980s, the city had the highest rate of AIDS infection per capita (37 cases in a population of roughly 19,000) in the United States.[14] According to the FBI, in 2003, the city had the second highest violent crime rate in the country at 298 per 10,000 residents. In 2010, the Palm Beach County sheriff's office estimated that half of the young men in Belle Glade between the ages of 18 and 25 had felony convictions

In 2000, the median income for a household in the city was $22,715, and the median income for a family was $26,756.

Since I've been with my wife, I've watched the town turn into a slum basically.  You can't park your car in your driveway or it WILL get broken into.  They had city police at one time, but now it's all patrolled by the county and you might see a cop once a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Osaurus said:

These dashboards are essentially out of the box ready. I know bc I make them. The FDOH dashboard does have some customization, but it’s not some groundbreaking award winning tool imo. 

So what was she doing for 16 hours a day with no days off for 6 weeks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

So what was she doing for 16 hours a day with no days off for 6 weeks?

Something else. Once the dashboard is created, it’s just a matter of updating the data. I have no idea how the data is aggregated so that might be where her time was spent. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

So what was she doing for 16 hours a day with no days off for 6 weeks?

Now we know:

According to the governor, Jones was dismissed from her position because of those actions along with “a bunch of different reasons.”

DeSantis also went after Jones for charges that appear to be unrelated to her position with the state.

“Come to find out, she’s also under active criminal charges in the State of Florida. She’s being charged with cyberstalking and cyber sexual harassment,” the governor said. “I’ve asked the Department of Health to explain to me how someone would be allowed to be charged with that and continue on because this was many months ago. I have a zero-tolerance policy for sexual harassment.”

"She's not a data scientist"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

If you watch the video in that link you'll see a few hours ago DeSantis standing 2 feet away from Pence with neither wearing a mask.

FL must be in the clear!

He also stated emphatically that he has zero tolerance for sexual harassment.

He should be getting a call any minute from his buddy in the white house ("go easy on that stuff, you know where I like to grab 'em").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Mammy said:

Now we know:

According to the governor, Jones was dismissed from her position because of those actions along with “a bunch of different reasons.”

DeSantis also went after Jones for charges that appear to be unrelated to her position with the state.

“Come to find out, she’s also under active criminal charges in the State of Florida. She’s being charged with cyberstalking and cyber sexual harassment,” the governor said. “I’ve asked the Department of Health to explain to me how someone would be allowed to be charged with that and continue on because this was many months ago. I have a zero-tolerance policy for sexual harassment.”

"She's not a data scientist"

Is this going to be the "she was insubordinate and modified the data" where "modified the data" means didn't alter it as they wanted kind of thing?  I was good with how the state was progressing until this nonsense appeared.  This is turning into a ####show quickly.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The DeSantis response to the questions seemed normal :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Commish said:

The DeSantis response to the questions seemed normal :lol: 

Yeah, he's attacking her and not really addressing the issue at hand.

Makes me want to believe the girl who's parents couldn't spell over DeSantis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

I want to hear from the dude she is stalking and sexually harassing.

According to this link....

Quote

A police report from Tallahassee Police shows a man claimed to be a victim of revenge porn by Jones in June of 2019. The man told police he had an injunction against Jones for a year until it recently expired. He said Jones posted a website which included naked pictures of him, and shared it with his place of employment and family members.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.