What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Florida Politics (2 Viewers)

Weird story out of Miami.

The background: Marco Rubio tweeted that a canvasser of his was beaten up by a group of "4 animals who told him Republicans weren’t allowed in their neighborhood in #Hialeah."

Now, I'm not saying I sniffed this out right away, but it did seem odd to me that anyone would think of Hialeah, which is heavily Cuban, as a Republican no-go zone.

Anyway, it now appears that the guy, who incidentally was an alt-right extremist, got in a fight with two (not four) guys for reasons having nothing to do with politics.

Don't get me wrong; it still doesn't mean he deserved to get beat up like that, and the guys who did it should absolutely face charges. But it does seem like Rubio got way ahead of his skis on this one.

The background: Marco Rubio tweeted that a canvasser of his was beaten up by a group of "4 animals who told him Republicans weren’t allowed in their neighborhood in #Hialeah."

Now, I'm not saying I sniffed this out right away, but it did seem odd to me that anyone would think of Hialeah, which is heavily Cuban, as a Republican no-go zone.

Anyway, it now appears that the guy, who incidentally was an alt-right extremist, got in a fight with two (not four) guys for reasons having nothing to do with politics.

Don't get me wrong; it still doesn't mean he deserved to get beat up like that, and the guys who did it should absolutely face charges. But it does seem like Rubio got way ahead of his skis on this one.
You think people would've learned after the Jussie Smollett ****show.

In one of these threads someone said this incident was like Jussie Smollett only in reverse. Looks like it is more like Jussie Smollett period. :lol:

In one of these threads someone said this incident was like Jussie Smollett only in reverse. Looks like it is more like Jussie Smollett period. :lol:
I don't think that's accurate. Smollett staged a completely fake hate crime in order to engender sympathy. This guy legit got beat up; the only questions are a) who was responsible for provoking the fight; b) was their any political motive involved; and c) if the initial story about it being politically motivated was false, who was responsible for spreading that rumor? As of now, the answers seem to be no idea, no idea (but probably not), and no idea. My guess is that the rumor was largely a function of the picture of him in the hospital bed wearing DeSantis/MAGA gear, but maybe he or others deliberately spread false info. Anyway, no need to jump the gun on any of this. I'll just wait for the full story to come out.

By the way, my favorite example from this genre was the 2008 McCain volunteer who claimed she had been robbed at knifepoint by an Obama supporter who then carved a B (for "Barack") into her face. Her story fell apart when, among other reasons, police noticed that the B scar was actually reversed, as if someone had done it while looking in a mirror. :lmao:

Not sure about that. Smollett wasn't actually beaten to a pulp.
There are reports that victim was a white supremacist although he was Cuban. Seems he may have hung with those types however.
Always best to see where these stories go. Hard to say what really happened. Unlike Smollett he was actually beaten.

I don't think that's accurate. Smollett staged a completely fake hate crime in order to engender sympathy. This guy legit got beat up; the only questions are a) who was responsible for provoking the fight; b) was their any political motive involved; and c) if the initial story about it being politically motivated was false, who was responsible for spreading that rumor? As of now, the answers seem to be no idea, no idea (but probably not), and no idea. My guess is that the rumor was largely a function of the picture of him in the hospital bed wearing DeSantis/MAGA gear, but maybe he or others deliberately spread false info. Anyway, no need to jump the gun on any of this. I'll just wait for the full story to come out.

By the way, my favorite example from this genre was the 2008 McCain volunteer who claimed she had been robbed at knifepoint by an Obama supporter who then carved a B (for "Barack") into her face. Her story fell apart when, among other reasons, police noticed that the B scar was actually reversed, as if someone had done it while looking in a mirror. :lmao:
Ah my apologies. I'm not up on the things being covered by our media. I had dabbled in the thread here, but didn't pay close attention :bag:

Ah my apologies. I'm not up on the things being covered by our media. I had dabbled in the thread here, but didn't pay close attention :bag:
Can be hard to keep up with all the misinformation out there.

Meanwhile, what may turn out to be the more significant question is why the hell was a white supremacist out canvassing for GOP candidates?
The true significance of this episode is a detail that emerged shortly after Rubio’s tweet: Monzon turns out to be close with the Proud Boys, a right-wing paramilitary organization. The Proud Boys, a sort of hybrid social club and political gang with racist and violent tendencies, played a central role in organizing the January 6 assault.

Last June, the New York Times reported on how the Proud Boys has begun to take over the powerful Miami-Dade Republican Party organization. It is one of the more alarming signposts of the Republican Party’s evolution into authoritarianism — I would say “most,” except that there are so many — because it signals violent and explicitly racist organizations are being formally welcomed into the party structure.

Monzon was one of the characters featured in the story. Before he joined the GOP, Monzon was involved in other white supremacist causes. He participated in the 2017 “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, where he allegedly used his Confederate flag to attack counterprotesters. His social-media posts from that period are filled with slurs like “Here’s to all the filthy n- - - - - - out there” and “Dirty n- - - - - - love abusing power.”

Monzon told the Times he has been on a “path to de-radicalization.” But when the Miami New Times tried to interview Monzon in the hospital, its reporter was denied access by a contingent of former and current Proud Boys. This suggests his self-professed “de-radicalization” has been, at best, incremental.

The HuffPost reports that Monzon was paid more than $10,000 by the Florida Republican Party this year. Rubio described him as one of his canvassers. Rubio was the Republican establishment’s choice to defeat Donald Trump in 2016, and he briefly gave a convincing performance as a person who was anguished by Trump’s abuse and lies. That he appears perfectly comfortable to work within a party that is developing a racist paramilitary wing is the clearest sign of the party’s complete surrender to extremism.

Not sure about that. Smollett wasn't actually beaten to a pulp.
There are reports that victim was a white supremacist although he was Cuban. Seems he may have hung with those types however.
Always best to see where these stories go. Hard to say what really happened. Unlike Smollett he was actually beaten.

I'm not discounting that he got beaten up. I'm discounting it if the incident was hijacked for false political purposes.

So here is more about this guy. Of course this is an article by the Daily Dot so it will skew to the left. Unless they have this guys identity completely wrong it's not someone I would sit down and have a beer with. Sounds to me like Rubios campaign did not know who they had working for them. Of course that can probably be said for most campaigns left and right.

So here is more about this guy. Of course this is an article by the Daily Dot so it will skew to the left. Unless they have this guys identity completely wrong it's not someone I would sit down and have a beer with. Sounds to me like Rubios campaign did not know who they had working for them. Of course that can probably be said for most campaigns left and right.

That was my initial reaction as well. But then I remembered the story from a few months ago about the Proud Boys infiltrating the Miami-Dade GOP, and I wondered if it was such a coincidence. If you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

That's not to say Rubio's campaign actively sought out alt-rightists to work on their campaign. But neither does he seem to have taken much of a stand against folks like this guy and other Proud Boys playing such a prominent role in the party

Update: Police have arrested a second assailant, and the arrest report does say that, according to the victim's testimony, he was told "he could not pass through because he was a Republican".

Keep in mind, the fact that he's alleging it doesn't make it true -- I'm not quite willing to assume that the "Cuban Confederate" has unimpeachable credibility. But I was wondering in my earlier post whether the claims of political motivation were a specific allegation or a supposition based on the fact that it happened when he was out canvassing. It now appears it was the former.

Update: Police have arrested a second assailant, and the arrest report does say that, according to the victim's testimony, he was told "he could not pass through because he was a Republican".

Keep in mind, the fact that he's alleging it doesn't make it true -- I'm not quite willing to assume that the "Cuban Confederate" has unimpeachable credibility. But I was wondering in my earlier post whether the claims of political motivation were a specific allegation or a supposition based on the fact that it happened when he was out canvassing. It now appears it was the former.
must be a slow news day

While no one deserves what happened to him. It could be a little karma coming his way. It's been my experience that once a racist always a racist just like once a junkie always a junkie.

I wish he had appeared in Lake County somewhere. I would have liked to have met him. Back in 2010 I voted for Snitker (another Libertarian) over Rubio . My wife and I even went to Orlando with Snitker and a lot of other Libertarians and protested outside the place they were holding the debate for US Senator. As usual they excluded the 3rd party from participating in the debate.

I wish he had appeared in Lake County somewhere. I would have liked to have met him. Back in 2010 I voted for Snitker (another Libertarian) over Rubio . My wife and I even went to Orlando with Snitker and a lot of other Libertarians and protested outside the place they were holding the debate for US Senator. As usual they excluded the 3rd party from participating in the debate.
It was just by random chance that I met him. I'd not have even known who he was had I not seen the clips you provided here in this thread.

Crist straight up lying LINK
Ron DeSantis has:
❌ Banned abortion with no exceptions for rape or incest
❌ Banned books
❌ Banned saying “gay”
This one is a doozy,imagine saying this out loud as a talking point for your campaign ? Everyone in the Country knows hpw RD handles this situation,to infer anything else with a play on words is disingenuous at best and outright disinformation at worst.
Charlie Crist

@CharlieCrist

y86urV1x?format=png&name=orig.png
Governor candidate, FL

Governor DeSantis is the only governor in Florida history to shut down the schools and lock down businesses. #FLGovDebate

7:09 PM · Oct 24, 2022

"[Crist] opposed having kids in school. His supporters sued me to keep the kids out of school in 2020," DeSantis responded. "And how critical was that decision? We just got the nation's report card, the results from all 50 states. Florida, number three in 4th grade reading and number four in the country in fourth grade math, and if you adjust that for demographics, we are number one in the country in both. That would not have happened if we let Charlie Crist and his friends lock our kids out of school like they did in California and like they did in New York. We did it right in Florida."

-Ron Desantis

I don't know the history of Florida all that well, so if this is a stupid question, I apologize. Is there another Florida Governor that shut down the schools? I DO think it's dishonest to say DeSantis locked down businesses. He punted that to the local municipalities and businesses themselves for the most part....well, until the politics changed.

I'd love to see the documentation behind his education claims. I can't fathom why any of you would take either of these dopes at their word :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread