What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (19 Viewers)

I think NY shutting nearly everything down in the last week will definitely flatten the curve. I know optimism is frowned upon in this thread. 
Even in this thread there seems to be various opinions on how effective this has been and how serious this has been taken.   Like I said - regardless, it's nowhere near the level of the countries you listed, and they some are just slowly starting to start up after a couple months.  

No one account doesn't change my mind. Statistics still say 0.4% death rate for 40 year olds. I like my odds :shrug:
And this is the best course of action.    Worry/stress releases cortisol and supresses your immune system.     It's the exact opposite of what you should do here.    Maybe that's why people say laughter is a good form of medicine.   

No one account doesn't change my mind. Statistics still say 0.4% death rate for 40 year olds. I like my odds :shrug:
"A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analysis of U.S. cases from Feb. 12 to March 16 released Wednesday shows 38 percent of those sick enough to be hospitalized were younger than 55."

"A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analysis of U.S. cases from Feb. 12 to March 16 released Wednesday shows 38 percent of those sick enough to be hospitalized were younger than 55."
Yeah but their recovery rate is dramatically better.  

Yeah, people are so obsessed with the death rate around here.  Sure, that's one big aspect of it, but I sure as #### wouldn't want to be in the hospital with this either, even less so as this ramps up and spreads.   

Deaths in NY are around 0.7% compared to 8% in Italy. At this point I think it's unwise to compare anywhere to Italy. 
We'll never hit Italy's numbers for a few reasons. Comparing them to New York for example the average Italian is almost 10 years older, they smoke at a rate about 10% higher then people in New York and I believe part of the health care structure in Italy is when you are over 65 you have less options then a typical insured 65 or older US citizen.

But when Italy was at 10,000 infections like NY is today their mortality rate was about 6%.  This is similar to response in an earlier post you made but I think the increase from 6-8% is hospitals are overwhelmed and lives that might have been saved earlier in the outbreak just can't be now.

That's why I think if people are blowing this off or being overly optimistic about currently low death rates they are in for a rude awakening when hospitals get overwhelmed. So no we won't get to Italy mortality levels but I don't think we'll be sitting at 0.7% either if we don't get a handle on this.

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Yes but there are people in that age range that would likely die that are otherwise living because they needed and received proper medical treatment. I expect that percentage to start sky rocketing the more hospitals get overwhelmed and not everyone can get proper and timely treatment.
If that were the case, the death rates of people under 50 would be higher in over run italy, no?

As of March 17, 17 people under 50 had died from the disease

If your state shut it down hardcore for 3-4 weeks instead of being complacent you could be South Korea instead of Italy. No shtick. 

I agree.  Now for my no shtick.  We would still need to have liquor stores open as essential.  Seriously.  Lots of alcoholics.

My friend works for General Beverage up in the Appleton area.  After the bar/restaurant shutdown, the demand for cheap liquor exploded.  Festival Foods' that normally sold 20 cases of cheap Fleischmans vodka or Kesslers whiskey are up over 100 cases now.  It's insane.

Yeah but their recovery rate is dramatically better.  
I don't really know how accurately or up to date they are tracking recovery data.  there are very few recoveries counted in the US.  Seems a lot ar"to be determined" still.

Yeah, people are so obsessed with the death rate around here.  Sure, that's one big aspect of it, but I sure as #### wouldn't want to be in the hospital with this either, even less so as this ramps up and spreads.   
Ideally I wouldn't want to even be identified with it, because they're gonna isolate you for a long time and that would suck.     Personally I felt like that may have prevented people from even going in and being identified "it'll be okay, I'll get better, and I don't wanna be locked up for 14 days".    

If that were the case, the death rates of people under 50 would be higher in over run italy, no?

As of March 17, 17 people under 50 had died from the disease
Could be because they are forced to pick and choose who they can care for and are leaving older patients to die when that choice has to be made.

ETA- I'm 48 and healthy as could be. Like you I thought I had nothing to worry about and like you I like my odds. But what started to change my mind was a story  I read last week about a healthy 45 year old attorney outside New Orleans. No underlying health conditions. Last I heard he had to consent to taking a drug to paralyze his lungs so he could be hooked up to a machine to breathe for him. Does he live without that machine being made available to him which could be a case if we get overwhelmed?  I'm not trying to find out myself. But he's alive and not part of your .4% death rate so nothing to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JAA
I agree.  Now for my no shtick.  We would still need to have liquor stores open as essential.  Seriously.  Lots of alcoholics.

My friend works for General Beverage up in the Appleton area.  After the bar/restaurant shutdown, the demand for cheap liquor exploded.  Festival Foods' that normally sold 20 cases of cheap Fleischmans vodka or Kesslers whiskey are up over 100 cases now.  It's insane.
Well, it is WI.  I assume that liquor stores and cheese shops will still be classified as essential, right??!!  :oldunsure:

I don't really know how accurately or up to date they are tracking recovery data.  there are very few recoveries counted in the US.  Seems a lot ar"to be determined" still.
Well yeah...   I mean just like I say the data is incomplete in all of those other areas it's totally incomplete here as well.    But to my understanding the vast majority of deaths are still older people and those with previous health conditions.      They're airing commercials right now in our state saying as much.        

Nice.   My parents/family are from the Jefferson/Fort/Cambridge area.    Be safe over there.   Not sure what you coach, but my son is in 7th grade basketball, so maybe we are bumping into each other and not knowing it.  (just now hopefully from 6' away.. ;)

My youngest is now 16, but know #### loads up people from all 3 of those towns.  Would not be surprised if we tangentially know each other in some capacity.   

Well of course I don't wanna get sick and spend 3 weeks in the hospital but ultimately it comes down to the death rates. You either recover or die. 

As of whatever date that number was released by whoever. And what about the ones who survive but end up with permanent lung damage? Any number on those?
That'll take a lot longer I'm sure cuz permanent means more than a few days / weeks.

Could be because they are forced to pick and choose who they can care for and are leaving older patients to die when that choice has to be made.
Like I said as a person in my 40s my concern is 0.4%. I'm not scared as #### of dying like others seem to be. 

Curious where the people who don't see this as a huge deal live? If I lived in a suburb in a small state or the a rural area I probably wouldn't think it was a huge deal.

They should keep liquor stores open in some capacity, sure. Having supplies of all kinds available is key to keeping people calm and comfortable with being shut in at home. 

Ideally I wouldn't want to even be identified with it, because they're gonna isolate you for a long time and that would suck.     Personally I felt like that may have prevented people from even going in and being identified "it'll be okay, I'll get better, and I don't wanna be locked up for 14 days".    
Huh.  I guess I feel the opposite.  It seems like most people I know would rather us have the ability to have widespread testing and know for sure if they have it.   

Like somebody else posted before, I think there is a big difference in compliance with knowing you are positive and you having to self quarantine because you have an elevated temperature and cough, but not knowing for sure.  

My feeling is that a lot of who doesn't want to know is the remaining businesses open, their owners, etc..   For them these positive tests are going to be a huge blow and make them shut down too.   My wife's clinic (vet) seems to be doing mostly everything the same - still letting clients in the room, etc..    My restaurant is still humming.  BUT there are 4 employees that have called in that have a cough/fever.   Hospitals won't see them because the symptoms aren't severe enough, but chances are one could have C-19 and if that was the case anybody working a shift with them would also not be able to work for 14 days.   Depending on who that would be, the store would be closing in short order.  

Bottom line, anyone under 50 scared #### of dying from this really needs to step away from the tv and stop stressing out so much. Make no mistake about it, we are sheltering in place to save the older generation and i have no issues with that. 

JaxBill said:
What about the recovery rate of the person who can't have a bed because you're in it? 

Or the health care worker who has to tend to you?

Or the person you came into contact with who is older or is more susceptible because they just fought off cancer?

Sucks for them but you're okay, so whatever 
Nobody said that. 

tonydead said:
And #1 in deaths, or did that change the past couple days. 
Yup.

From CNN

As of Saturday night, a total of 323 people infected with the disease have died. Minnesota reported its first death while Washington had the highest number of deaths at 94, followed by 70 deaths in New York, according to CNN's tally.

Nipsey said:
Curious where the people who don't see this as a huge deal live? If I lived in a suburb in a small state or the a rural area I probably wouldn't think it was a huge deal.
Nobody is saying this isn't a big deal. I live in NYC. As a 42 year old im not scared #### of this because i have a 99.6% chance of surviving. That doesn't mean it isn't a big deal and doesn't mean I wantto spend 3 weeks in the hospital. This isn't that hard. 

Nipsey said:
GA isn't doing anything it seems. Looks like normal life there.

Nipsey said:
Yea if I lived on a giant farm in Idaho or North Dakota I guess I wouldn’t be too concerned.  But I pretty much live in the opposite of that. 

There are a few trolls in this thread and good posters are wasting their time replying to them.
Yes, that does seem to be the case. 

For the sake of any that wander into a whole lot of noise, I would like to reiterate that the strong measures (lockdowns / shelter-in-place / flatten the curve) are intended to prevent our the US healthcare system from being overwhelmed. Lots more people die when that happens and many could survive if we just slow it down enough for hospitals to keep up with the demand for treatment.

[icon] said:
Here it is > 

What's scary is Us deaths have gone from trailing the model by ~1 day to passing the model by about 1 day... 

We're accelerating past the model. 

REALLY hoping this distancing and shutdown (whatever scale we are doing) helps :(  
Yep, I’ve got that bookmarked from when you previously posted it.  It really helped me to understand what’s going on. One of the best tools posted on here.

JaxBill said:
What about the recovery rate of the person who can't have a bed because you're in it? 

Or the health care worker who has to tend to you?

Or the person you came into contact with who is older or is more susceptible because they just fought off cancer?

Sucks for them but you're okay, so whatever 
Some of you people apparently have serious comprehension issues.     Thinking this isn't as serious as they're making it out to be isn't the same as ignoring what people said to do.   

Users who are viewing this thread