What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash - TMZ (1 Viewer)

Embiid wore 24 last night in his first game back since injury. He scored 24 points. The first NBA game he ever watched was during 2010 finals and Kobe literally made him want to play basketball. 

hey brohans i have taken a lot of shots at kobe bryant over the years in the nba thread but any time any one dies suddenly and with a family it is sad and it is even more sad to see young children have their lives cut short so i offer my condolances and will say a prayer for them all 

I know I’m in the minority on this, and this is being covered in the other thread about career paths and guiding our kids etc., but I actually feel like Kobe’s advice here isn’t very good. He’s ragging on his guidance counselor for advising him not to focus on basketball.  Of course FOR HIM, the one in a billion, that was terrible advice in retrospect. But for how many other kids, particularly inner city kids who have grown up thinking they will make a living being professional athletes, is that EXACTLY the dead on right advice those kids need to hear?

Anyway, a bit of an aside from the point of this thread, but I always wince when the star professional athlete suggests to kids “don’t listen to your guidance counselor when they tell you not to frame your future around being a professional athlete.”  It’s a sweet sentiment and all, but jeez. 
Agree 100%.  I hate when famous people say stuff like this.  I remember a while back, Eminem was saying something like, "Hey kids, look at me.  I dropped out of high school and I was still able to make it."  That's great.  But there are hundreds of thousands of kids who dropped out of high school and live in poverty compared to your one success story.  

I saw that the helicopter didn't have the terrain warning system.  Seems odd, but honestly I don't know anything about these helicopters.  

Does anyone with knowledge know why they wouldn't have that, especially when they use it in an area with mountains?

Just read they missed clearing the hill by 20-30 feet.  I never particularly cared for Kobe while he was playing, but this sucks incredibly bad.  
NTSB said there was no terrain avoidance system onboard. That seems to be the first thing you would want on a helicopter, whether flying over flat land/water or hills with fog.

NTSB said there was no terrain avoidance system onboard. That seems to be the first thing you would want on a helicopter, whether flying over flat land/water or hills with fog.
"Pull up... Pull up... Pull up..."

I mean, every plane in the movies has that system.  I didn't realize that was an "optional" feature.  

I saw that the helicopter didn't have the terrain warning system.  Seems odd, but honestly I don't know anything about these helicopters.  

Does anyone with knowledge know why they wouldn't have that, especially when they use it in an area with mountains?
My nephew told me the other day that terrain mapping radar are mainly on the military copters. Most civilian ones have a weather radar but that won’t pick up fog. 

This is the first thing he told me Sunday and why he thought it was CFIT. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My nephew told me the other day that terrain mapping radar are mainly on the military copters. Most have a weather radar but that won’t pick up fog. 

This is the first thing he told me Sunday and why he thought it was CFIT. 
Not that I'm questioning you because what I'm about to say will sound like I'm questioning you personally, but then why is it breaking news that this helicopter didn't have the terrain warning system?  They made it sound like all of them do, but not this one. :shrug:

I know I’m in the minority on this, and this is being covered in the other thread about career paths and guiding our kids etc., but I actually feel like Kobe’s advice here isn’t very good. He’s ragging on his guidance counselor for advising him not to focus on basketball.  Of course FOR HIM, the one in a billion, that was terrible advice in retrospect. But for how many other kids, particularly inner city kids who have grown up thinking they will make a living being professional athletes, is that EXACTLY the dead on right advice those kids need to hear?

Anyway, a bit of an aside from the point of this thread, but I always wince when the star professional athlete suggests to kids “don’t listen to your guidance counselor when they tell you not to frame your future around being a professional athlete.”  It’s a sweet sentiment and all, but jeez. 
I played football in high school (we were a below average football program).  One day in Algebra class I was sitting around a few other players and we were talking about how we're ALL going to the NFL and going to ALL play on the same NFL team.  My teacher decided this was a moment to talk stats and roughly broke down our odds of getting to the NFL and all playing on the same team

I then realized how stupid that daydream was; not just playing on the same team but even getting into the NFL.  I really didn't know how many high schools and colleges there were in the US - I never considered it until that day.  I always felt like I was only competing with people in my neighborhood.  I've never liked the "You can do anything" type of speeches after that because it only focuses on the one person who did and never lost opportunities of chasing a stupid dream. 

Only one of the players on my team played division 1 (a bad team at that).  He washed out as a backup QB; he's coaching the high school team today. 

I played football in high school (we were a below average football program).  One day in Algebra class I was sitting around a few other players and we were talking about how we're ALL going to the NFL and going to ALL play on the same NFL team.  My teacher decided this was a moment to talk stats and roughly broke down our odds of getting to the NFL and all playing on the same team

I then realized how stupid that daydream was; not just playing on the same team but even getting into the NFL.  I really didn't know how many high schools and colleges there were in the US - I never considered it until that day.  I always felt like I was only competing with people in my neighborhood.  I've never liked the "You can do anything" type of speeches after that because it only focuses on the one person who did and never lost opportunities of chasing a stupid dream. 

Only one of the players on my team played division 1 (a bad team at that).  He washed out as a backup QB; he's coaching the high school team today. 
Yup.  I was one of the two best on my team in high school and was one of the best in our league or conference or whatever it was called.  Then I went to a crappy DI baseball school and realized that everyone on that team was the best in their high school.  And suddenly I was at the bottom of the barrel.  Then you think about the next level.  And how only the best guy from the college team might make the minors.  Then the best guy from that minor league team might make the pros.  It was such a reality check that I might have been good, but I was no where near good enough for the next level.  Barely for that level.  

I always think it's OK to follow your dreams as long as they don't mess up your reality.  

Not that I'm questioning you because what I'm about to say will sound like I'm questioning you personally, but then why is it breaking news that this helicopter didn't have the terrain warning system?  They made it sound like all of them do, but not this one. :shrug:
Guessing because most people don’t know what I typed out. I didn’t know it tell he told me. Sure you didn’t either. 

"Pull up... Pull up... Pull up..."

I mean, every plane in the movies has that system.  I didn't realize that was an "optional" feature.  
I read that it wasn’t a feature that was strongly recommended until a few years ago. The chopper was like 30 years old.  

I read that it wasn’t a feature that was strongly recommended until a few years ago. The chopper was like 30 years old.  
I think it was after a crash in the 2000s that it was recommended. But it’s not mandated because helicopters fly so low so often that it would likely create false warnings way too often.

Maybe making it a requirement for flying in certain conditions where special permissions are required (like the ones this flight encountered) would make sense. So something that is required to be installed but only required to be on and used in poor visibility situations.

The numbers are quite staggering when you figure it out.   That said, my daughter's HS class had six make the NFL and a seventh make the Jets and then decide to not play in the NFL.  Numbers probably equally as staggering. 

Responding to some of the fog posts, there was an older guy interviewed that heard the crash.  He said those small mountains in that area created there own micro climates.  Also heard somewhere else that the fog was much lower than normal.  

I grew up in HB.  Morning fog was quite the norm and then would burn off.  

Man.......

Asides from doing some drafts and chiming in here or there, I haven't been a regular part of this community for 8 or so years.  Many of you know that Kobe was my guy.  I spent countless hours on this board talking, debating, and defending him.  Anything that happened about Kobe, this was the first place I would come and talk about it, so this board was a big part of my life during those years.  I figured it was kinda appropriate to come in and say a little something.  RIP Kobe, GiGi, and the other 7 on board.

Did not know that Kobe had a huge falling out with his parents years ago and had been estranged since 2012.  Seems as of late they were trying to patch things up but they never really got the chance.  Very sad.

Anyway, a bit of an aside from the point of this thread, but I always wince when the star professional athlete suggests to kids “don’t listen to your guidance counselor when they tell you not to frame your future around being a professional athlete.  Follow your dreams!”  It’s a sweet sentiment and all, but jeez. 
I get your point but that guidance counselor was pretty clueless. Reminds me of the time Michael Jordan was a guest on Daily Affirmation.

Some Pa announcer for the Pacers shared a story about how after the game Kobe waited for him outside the locker room to say hi. Kobe knew he was new because he never saw him at a game there before and wanted to tell him he did a really good job. Imagine Kobe Bryant knowing the PA announcer for a team he only visits once a year and then seeking him out after. 

I kinda feel dumb hating on him all those years when I was younger. I’ve gotten away from sports hate as I got older but it was still pretty stupid. 
I posted this on Page 6 of this thread....my story is from a young lady but maybe a male Pacer PA announcer had a similar story....

Someone I know posted this on Facebook. Thought was worth passing on here:

“In my time working as an emcee for the Pacers several years ago, I had the pleasure of interacting with him briefly and he was truly in a league of his own. 

I remember being a little bit confused at the end of the game he’d asked me to hang around outside locker room area for a couple minutes. Then, when he got done with his interviews, he popped back out and shook my hand and said he realized I was new (it was my first year doing that job) because he hasn’t seen me before so he wanted to officially introduce himself and ask a little bit about my background and goals. But what stick with me— aside from the time he was taking for someone who was just only a college kid at the time—- was that he wanted to take the time to tell me I was doing a great job and to impress upon me to keep going and chasing my dreams. 

He was truly in the league of his own. 

RIP Kobe, Gianna & the other passengers who lost their lives today.“

Man.......

Asides from doing some drafts and chiming in here or there, I haven't been a regular part of this community for 8 or so years.  Many of you know that Kobe was my guy.  I spent countless hours on this board talking, debating, and defending him.  Anything that happened about Kobe, this was the first place I would come and talk about it, so this board was a big part of my life during those years.  I figured it was kinda appropriate to come in and say a little something.  RIP Kobe, GiGi, and the other 7 on board.
Welcome back! Are used to be right there with you defending him,vehemently.

Can’t believe it’s been that long since I’ve seen your username.

It's crazy to think that pretty much even the worst pro athlete in the NFL, NBA, MLB was probably the best player in his high school, and probably the best player in his town if it had multiple schools, and at least the first or second best guy on his entire college team across any position. Guy grew up being the best person on every team he's ever been on, goes pro, and becomes a laughingstock.
Worked with a guy for a number of years who was 6'7" and played college ball at UC San Diego where he had a decent career at a less than elite college program, but nonetheless was a good basketball player.  He told a story of playing a pick-up game at a gym where he usually dominated and one day, a guy shows up to play and it's Jud Buechler.  Remember him?   Played about 10 years, got mop-up time with the Bulls, averaged 3.3 PPG.  I remember laughing at goofy Jud when he'd come in for the Bulls.

Well, my buddy gets paired up to guard Jud and Buechler just obliterates him; shuts him down completely on offense, and he can't stop Jud offensively.  Nobody could.  He just had his way out there, shook hands with the guys after the game and left.  Love that story.

It's crazy to think that pretty much even the worst pro athlete in the NFL, NBA, MLB was probably the best player in his high school, and probably the best player in his town if it had multiple schools, and at least the first or second best guy on his entire college team across any position. Guy grew up being the best person on every team he's ever been on, goes pro, and becomes a laughingstock.
Work ethic and heart have a lot to do with it too. Most of these dudes got by without even trying. When they get to the professional level it’s just that, professional. Most folks don’t wanna put in the work. 

Then you factor in scheme, coaches pet projects, personalities and politics, it gets even more dicey. 

Work ethic and heart have a lot to do with it too. Most of these dudes got by without even trying. When they get to the professional level it’s just that, professional. Most folks don’t wanna put in the work. 

Then you factor in scheme, coaches pet projects, personalities and politics, it gets even more dicey. 
The work ethic thing is huge. It's how guys like Kobe & Jerry Rice got above most of the other great athletes.

Worked with a guy for a number of years who was 6'7" and played college ball at UC San Diego where he had a decent career at a less than elite college program, but nonetheless was a good basketball player.  He told a story of playing a pick-up game at a gym where he usually dominated and one day, a guy shows up to play and it's Jud Buechler.  Remember him?   Played about 10 years, got mop-up time with the Bulls, averaged 3.3 PPG.  I remember laughing at goofy Jud when he'd come in for the Bulls.

Well, my buddy gets paired up to guard Jud and Buechler just obliterates him; shuts him down completely on offense, and he can't stop Jud offensively.  Nobody could.  He just had his way out there, shook hands with the guys after the game and left.  Love that story.
Yea man these guys are all on another level. Just watch them shoot in warmups - they never miss. Just casually flick in 3s. 

I went to UCSD and used to run pick up games in the gym every day.   Sometimes the guys on the basketball team would play, and they were way better than most of the other guys.   Way better than me, for sure.   Then I went to Cal for a summer and played in their gym.  Kevin Johnson showed up with some friends.   I had next so it's me with Kevin Johnson and three of his friends throwing no look passes, dunking at will and shooting threes from everywhere.   I think I touched the ball three times, but I did hit a wide open jumper from the corner because nobody was guarding me.

Man. I can’t understand why I’m still reeling over this. I can’t watch anything Kobe related without balling my eyes out. I walked my dog about 30 minutes ago and the second I thought of that Instagram clip I posted and started crying while walking down the street. 

Vanessa has posted on her Instagram account, the only social media she uses. Very sad but it seems they are going to forge on just like Kobe's mentality was. She's asking for donations to go for the other families involved and has posted where.

Flying to so cal this Friday to find a used car to buy, way more selection there than the Bay Area. I have 2 hours to look Friday before making sure I’m planted on my parents couch to watch the lakers game just like when I was growing up. Luckily flying into Long Beach as opposed to LAX, LA traffic will be a nightmare at 3pm. Already laid out my Kobe jersey for the flight 😢

Vanessa has posted on her Instagram account, the only social media she uses. Very sad but it seems they are going to forge on just like Kobe's mentality was. She's asking for donations to go for the other families involved and has posted where.
That's pretty cool of her.  She's obviously devastated but is trying to help the other families who might need help.   Props to her.

Flying to so cal this Friday to find a used car to buy, way more selection there than the Bay Area. I have 2 hours to look Friday before making sure I’m planted on my parents couch to watch the lakers game just like when I was growing up. Luckily flying into Long Beach as opposed to LAX, LA traffic will be a nightmare at 3pm. Already laid out my Kobe jersey for the flight 😢
Will be a highly emotional game for sure. Will watch if it's on tv.

That's pretty cool of her.  She's obviously devastated but is trying to help the other families who might need help.   Props to her.
She is a kind hearted person. I don't know of any pro sport wife who shares her family and cares about us too. GB her.

Users who are viewing this thread