What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official Trump 2020 State Of The Union Thread***** (2 Viewers)

Well the Steele dossier seemed to be poorly sourced hokum that got this whole ball rolling.  Framed? I don't know, but stuff like that is something none of us should support.  

Trump is an oaf and a brute and I'm sure there's something checkered to his conduct, but find it, don't just make up this nonsense. 

This will all be over in a year or five, Im not interested in precedent setting disruption of our institutions when I believe strongly in the axiom, people get the government they deserve.
Given the contents of the Mueller report...there was plenty of smoke there.  Nothing close to the level of framed.

just for ####s and giggles, I looked up past SOTU addresses on youtube. 

In 2017 He did shake Paul Ryan and Pence's Hands

in 2018 He did not shake either's hands (and neither offered) 

in 2019: He shook both Pelosi and Pense's Hands (NP seemed much more jovial in the exchange)

2020: Did not shake either hand, did not even offer to Pence 

Remember when Trump said grab em by the #####?  That's just classy locker room talk, and none of the multiple credible rape allegations have been proven in criminal court. But what kind of monster would ever rip up a piece of paper in a locker room? She's going to lose all the votes! 
You're being trolled into looking silly. Literally no one is going to care one way or the other. Everything that comes from the White House is a smokescreen. REMEMBER: confusion is the currency of wolves.

Stay focused imo.

Politics is perception.  Anecdotes create perception.

The First Step Act was a bipartisan bill and DJT was smart  to sign it into law.  He has talked a good but about reforms there - this isn't a new thing.  Being so bipartisan makes it one of a very few bills like that lately and it looks to be a very good piece if legislation.
I don't think it's a bad piece of legislation. It's aptly named "first step" but it's not a bad first step. It may impact <1% of people incarcerated. 

My issue is with his statement that he has "completely reformed" or whatever. That's a very gross overstatement. 

I think it is exactly what she wanted. It appeared very calculated for the cameras. She is too politically shrewd and experienced to fly off the handle.
I think she felt like she needed to do it after the handshake deal. She didn’t want everyone talking about that. She only made it worse though. 

Remember when Trump said grab em by the #####?  That's just classy locker room talk, and none of the multiple credible rape allegations have been proven in criminal court. But what kind of monster would ever rip up a piece of paper in a locker room? She's going to lose all the votes! 
Deflect deflect deflect.  

It was a bad move by Pelosi.  And you're so consumed with Trump hate, you can't just acknowledge and move on.  Nope, gotta point out something else.  

Things are moving so fast none of all that junk you guys are pointing out is going to count in November.  So much is going to happen between then and now his will all be ancient history

I think she felt like she needed to do it after the handshake deal. She didn’t want everyone talking about that. She only made it worse though. 
Yeah. I can see that too. She had a pretty strong reaction to the apparent handshake spurn and could have been stewing all speech long. 

Yes, then we elected him president. Then we couldn't get over that fact and can't stop saying hes the problem. See the cycle here?  

Not a Trump fan by any means, but its pretty scary how easily he was able to basically troll Pelosi and the Democrats into looking like fools.

Everyone expected him to use tonight as a victory lap with the upcoming acquittal but he didn't. We all know what he's thinking and what he WANTS to say, (basically "nah nah nah nah naaaaaaaaaah naaaaaaah")  but he held back.  I think parts of the speech (the exploitation of victims) were disgusting and I dont believe for a second that all the great numbers (unemployment) are the result of things he's done, but he gave the most hopeful and non divisive speech that Donald Trump is capable of giving (a low bar, obviously)

Pelosi somehow managed to make Donald Trump look like the adult in the room with her stupid facial expressions and the speech ripping. AOC (who, like it or not, is one of the faces of the democratic party) gave her best effort to make it about her (basically reinforcing every millennial stereotype possible, and this is coming from someone who is, unfortunately, technically a millennial) and every single high ranking democrat caught on camera was making some stupid face or some other sort of gesture/body language that made them look like pouting children.

Don't get me wrong......I personally think Trump should be removed from office (although I'll admit I'm not 100% up on ALL the details) and I think that the Republican Senate has acted in a disgusting manner (and they'll be judged accordingly, hopefully some of them in November) to muck up the process and make a real trial impossible.

But at this point...if you're a democrat....you've lost the battle (unfairly, IMO, but it is what it is) . It's over. So suck it up, show some maturity/leadership and win the war. It's really not that complicated and its absolutely baffling that these people, who are supposed to be the best of us (in theory anyway) dont get that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Things are moving so fast none of all that junk you guys are pointing out is going to count in November.  So much is going to happen between then and now his will all be ancient history
Sure, but see the trend tho?  Dems been trying to cause a turn over so long to change the momentum, but, they can't get out of their own way and it's the 4th quarter. Unless Mayor Pete is Parick Mahomes they in trouble. 

A copy of a speech distributed to every member of Congress and the press has to be retained for document retention?
We presume, but do not know that her copy was the same as all the others.  It might have contained different provisions or even a hand written notation.  A document submitted to the presiding officer, on the dais, during a public meeting would be a document subject to filing and retention.  

I am not suggesting anything here.  It was just a matter that caught my attention given my employment responsibilities currently. An insubstantial aside.  A point of insignificant interest, probably only for the most nebbishy of persons.  Besides, she did not burn it.  It remained on the dais as far as I could tell.

How will he protect pre-existing conditions and get rid of Obamacare at the same time? Please explain, thanks. 
When I moved to Idaho almost ten years ago, it was one of four states that had a law to protect pre-exisiting conditions.  Well before Obamacare.  So it can easily be done.  Removing Obamacare doesn't mean Pre-exisiting has to be eliminated.

We presume, but do not know that her copy was the same as all the others.  It might have contained different provisions or even a hand written notation.  A document submitted to the presiding officer, on the dais, during a public meeting would be a document subject to filing and retention.  

I am not suggesting anything here.  It was just a matter that caught my attention given my employment responsibilities currently. An insubstantial aside.  A point of insignificant interest, probably only for the most nebbishy of persons.  Besides, she did not burn it.  It remained on the dais as far as I could tell.
Destruction of government documents is illegal and subject to fines and up to three years in prison.  If hers was an "official" document given to the House to be kept on file, she could very well see a lot of problems arising from this(and republicans would love that).

However, I think it'll probably be called a copy of the official document and therefore not subject to the same statute governing that document's destruction.

Not a Trump fan by any means, but its pretty scary how easily he was able to basically troll Pelosi and the Democrats into looking like fools.

Everyone expected him to use tonight as a victory lap with the upcoming acquittal but he didn't. We all know what he's thinking and what he WANTS to say, (basically "nah nah nah nah naaaaaaaaaah naaaaaaah")  but he held back.  I think parts of the speech (the exploitation of victims) were disgusting and I dont believe for a second that all the great numbers (unemployment) are the result of things he's done, but he gave the most hopeful and non divisive speech that Donald Trump is capable of giving (a low bar, obviously)

Pelosi somehow managed to make Donald Trump look like the adult in the room with her stupid facial expressions and the speech ripping. AOC (who, like it or not, is one of the faces of the democratic party) gave her best effort to make it about her (basically reinforcing every millennial stereotype possible, and this is coming from someone who is, unfortunately, technically a millennial) and every single high ranking democrat caught on camera was making some stupid face or some other sort of gesture/body language that made them look like pouting children.

Don't get me wrong......I personally think Trump should be removed from office (although I'll admit I'm not 100% up on ALL the details) and I think that the Republican Senate has acted in a disgusting manner (and they'll be judged accordingly, hopefully some of them in November) to muck up the process and make a real trial impossible.

But at this point...if you're a democrat....you've lost the battle (unfairly, IMO, but it is what it is) . It's over. So suck it up, show some maturity/leadership and win the war. It's really not that complicated and its absolutely baffling that these people, who are supposed to be the best of us (in theory anyway) dont get that. 
It is a nightmare.  Maybe the Dems will only get more votes again.

timschochet said:
Honestly if it’s Bernie vs Trump it’s a win win for Russia. Both men are isolationist, neither can be counted on to honor our international commitments. I’d say Ukraine is screwed either way. 
Completely unfair to twist what Bernie would do like that.  I have no doubt he would try to change foreign policy to match his beliefs but he would honor current commitments.  Come on Tim.

TLEF316 said:
Pretty spot on post.  I think the Democratic party shifted from "the best of us" to political cronyism.  Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden had so much baggage but it was like it was "their turn".  If the Democratic party wasn't so joined at the hip to the Clinton's the 8 year Trump disaster would have never happened.  Let's not fool ourselves, none of these candidates have a chance.  

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Did I miss the expected line, "The state of our union is strong"?  Isn't that always part of the speech?  Maybe it came as I changed rooms in my home. 
I always like that part of the speech for some reason and unfortunately Trump changed it to "stronger than ever before" or something like that. Pelosi wasn't amused and it drew one of her many poor reactions.

PhantomJB said:
I think it is exactly what she wanted. It appeared very calculated for the cameras. She is too politically shrewd and experienced to fly off the handle.
It may have been calculated the entire time she sat there listening to his speech, but I don't think it was planned when she got there. I think when she tried showing class and shaking his hand and when he snubbed her, she probably wanted to spit in his face. As she sat there listening to lie after lie, combined with the snubbing, she knew she decided she was tearing it up as soon as it was over.

Daywalker said:

What do you get for that? Do you get to hang a banner in the oval office like the NHL team that has the most points during the regular season?

Daywalker said:
The thing is they have to win the game that’s being played. Total votes isn’t the pathway to a win.

timschochet said:
Anyhow if Trump wins it will be in part because Democrats are so pessimistic. And there’s no need to be. This guy is a clown and a fraud and he can be beaten easily. And I think he will be if the Democrats stick to their message and avoid nominating somebody too far to the left. Biden, Buttigieg, Klobuchar or Bloomberg- any one of them should crush Trump. Just don’t blow it. 
..uh....uh....no.

They just showed the guy who’s brother was killed and honored last night. His reaction to Pelosi ripping the speech which had his brothers name was she ripped his heart out. Pelosi is such a terrible person.  

They just showed the guy who’s brother was killed and honored last night. His reaction to Pelosi ripping the speech which had his brothers name was she ripped his heart out. Pelosi is such a terrible person.  
You’re naive if you think Trump hasn’t done similarly unprofessional things. 

But that was the point of last night. Pelosi was very unprofessional and distasteful. She had to have soured those in the 10% that are at least tired of Trump’s embarrassing antics too. 

You’re naive if you think Trump hasn’t done similarly unprofessional things. 

But that was the point of last night. Pelosi was very unprofessional and distasteful. She had to have soured those in the 10% that are at least tired of Trump’s embarrassing antics too. 
Classic anti Trump absurd response right here. 

Sort of like how Fred Guttenberg felt during the speech?

Oh please. She ripped up a speech chocked full of lies. The fact that there may have been one or two actual decent parts in it is irrelevant.  

Trump snubbed her handshake so she ripped up the speech. Nancy has never once cowered to Trump and his bullying and she didn't last night.  Good for her.

Users who are viewing this thread