Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears

1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

WNEW hasn't been rock in a long time.

is that so?  where the #### is a guy like Tony Pigg gonna find a gig?

and what the #### is Richard Neer gonna do with all those Beatle wigs??!?  (wonder if he still sits in on the FAN?).

10 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

WNEW hasn't been rock in a long time.

When did they switch - I haven't listened to commercial radio in a long time, so must have missed it.

1 minute ago, zamboni said:

When did they switch - I haven't listened to commercial radio in a long time, so must have missed it.

I don't really listen to commercial radio either but it's been about 20 years. They went to "Hot Talk" around 2000 which was all shock jocks, and have changed formats a number of times since then. I think they're adult contemporary now. :X

The classic rock station in NY these days is 104.3

When I was in HS the alternative station was WDRE and K rock

ETA: and Seton Hall radio when you were lucky enough to get it to come in 

Edited by AcerFC

12 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

and what the #### is Richard Neer gonna do with all those Beatle wigs??!?  (wonder if he still sits in on the FAN?).

He's on the FAN still as a fill in on weekends - the most bland sports talk guy out there. I'm shocked he's stuck around there so long because he doesn't fit in at all.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AcerFC said:

Duh - I was confusing 104.3 with WNEW 102.7. 

Back in the '90s it was 92.3 K-Rock when Stern reigned supreme.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AcerFC said:

let's not forget 'FMU and 'FDU ...  both were free form tilters to the edgier stuff

• Thanks 1

Seton Hall was metal since the 80s.

I "won" tickets to see a lot of shows in late 80s/early 90s including Metallica and Kings X by being "the 10th caller" without actually calling in. Imagine the scandal when I was at the shows with the DJ that was giving away the tickets on air. :D 

WNEW was awesome though. I enjoyed listening to Pete Fornatell, Meg Griffin and Dennis Elsis

And who didnt want to get the led out with Aliision Steele

• Like 1

Just now, Dr. Octopus said:

I "won" tickets to see a lot of shows in late 80s/early 90s including Metallica and Kings X by being "the 10th caller" without actually calling in. Imagine the scandal when I was at the shows with the DJ that was giving away the tickets on air. :D 

Hmm, maybe I was confusing them with when I got into hardcore and punk. My bad peeps. Did you go to the anniversary show at the Asbury park convention center. I was there

4 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Duh - I was confusing 104.3 with WNEW 102.7. 

Back in the '90s it was 92.3 K-Rock when Stern reigned supreme.

howzabout WAPP, the APPLE?

think they came around and went to to toe with 'NEW, as well 

• Like 1

WNEW was awesome though. I enjoyed listening to Pete Fornatell, Meg Griffin and Dennis Elsis

And who didnt want to get the led out with Aliision Steele

and of course the Professor Scott Muni.

Just now, AcerFC said:

Hmm, maybe I was confusing them with when I got into hardcore and punk. My bad peeps. Did you go to the anniversary show at the Asbury park convention center. I was there

I did not. Can't remember why but I had a conflict.

Talk of radio stations does bring up an interesting point

I dont know all of the songs that have been drafted. Its a bit before my time (born in 77)

However, I am familiar with most of them. If these songs were not played on commercial radio (in NY we are talking NEW, PLJ, HOT 97 and Z100) then where did I hear these songs. I did not move to the suburbs until 1987 so we didnt have MTV

I dont know all of the songs that have been drafted. Its a bit before my time (born in 77)

However, I am familiar with most of them. If these songs were not played on commercial radio (in NY we are talking NEW, PLJ, HOT 97 and Z100) then where did I hear these songs. I did not move to the suburbs until 1987 so we didnt have MTV

Locally they were on WLIR which was the punk, New Wave, alternative station at the time - and of course they were MTV staples.

17 hours ago, timschochet said:

76. “Don’t Stand So Close to Me” The Police (1980, from Zenyatta Mondatta

https://youtu.be/KNIZofPB8ZM

I’m forced to deduct a few points for a bit of pretentiousness- “Just like the old man in that book by Nabokov”- ooh you guys are so well read! Lolita, hey I’m impressed! Lol

Other than that a flawless classic of the time period. I had this high school teacher who complained bitterly about it too: “In my day we were all about I Want to Hold Your Hand. You guys are Don’t Stand So Close to Me!” She blamed Reagan. 

Live from 1980. I :wub: Andy's guitar synth solo in this. And it's more evidence that nobody ever hit a drum harder than Stewart Copleland.

2 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

Z100 was hysterical with their hypes ... i remember when "Safety Dance" broke, they played it every 20 minutes, literally ("YOU'RE GUARANTEED TO HEAR IT 3 TIMES AN HOUR!!!":lmao:) ... same with "Billie Jean", "Take on Me" ... and, ferchrissakes, "Do They Know it's Christmas?" was 4 times an hour, i #### you NOT!

9 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

I think a lot of these songs so far are pretty accessible - with the '80s genre having become so ubiquitous, they've become commonplace on SiriusXM, TV, movie soundtracks, etc. 

I grew up in Philly, and the 2 main rock stations, WMMR and WYSP both played The Cars. Philly didn't real have an alternative station, or, if they did, I didn't know about it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

74. “Bye Bye Love” The Cars (1978, from The Cars

https://youtu.be/iR6GDGoiO8Y

The Cars debut album is, in any genre, one of the greatest rock albums in history. There are no weak tunes on it, but “Bye Bye Love” is one of the very best. 

Great song.   One of the greatest rock albums in history is a stretch to me though.   

5 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Great song.   One of the greatest rock albums in history is a stretch to me though.   

perhaps he meant one of the greatest debuts, which it most definitely is. 

Edited by otb_lifer
SpElLiNk
  • Like 1

Sorry everyone my dad passed away this morning so I will be taking a hiatus from the FFA. I will try to return to this in a week or two. 

• Sad 26

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Sorry everyone my dad passed away this morning so I will be taking a hiatus from the FFA. I will try to return to this in a week or two. 

Sorry to hear of your loss.  Take your time.

7 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Very sorry to hear this, Tim. Best to you and your family.

1 hour ago, AcerFC said:

Did Columbia and NYU have stations worth listening to back then?

8 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Sorry to hear this, man. RIP to your dad.

12 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Very sorry to hear this.  RIP Mr. Schochet.

12 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Sorry to hear , never easy despite the age  Hope your family is in a good space

29 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Sorry for your loss.

41 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Condolences to you & yours, Tim. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Lol

I think I was listening to an industrial revolution show they would have.

Anyhow...they were giving away an import CD of some band from some euro country.  So I tried calling.

Ring......

Oh baby!

Sorry, youre caller #3

Crap!

Ring...whoa..I got through again

Sorry, you're called #7

Ughhh

Ring...whoa...am I getting through again???

Sorry, you're called #9

God dammmmit!!!

Edited by comfortably numb

Bummer Tim. We’ll hold the fort down in your absence. 

2 hours ago, Doug B said:

Did Columbia and NYU have stations worth listening to back then?

NYU had the absolute best underground rap show out there. Stretch and Bobbito. If you even liked hip hop a little, you listened to these guys. I have an unknown number of cassettes at my parents house with their shows. Only problem was that it didnt start until like midnight or 1. It was tough catch them every week. 

There is a documentary about them on Netflix I think. Let me see if I can find the name of it

Funny thing is, I don't recall any alternative music shows that they played. I mean, they had to of but I didnt listen to it  

• Like 1

Sorry, Tim -- I wish you and your family the absolute best given the unfortunate circumstances.

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

Condolences to you and your family. We're here if you need us.

Sorry for your loss Tim. Hope it was peaceful and painless. 

6 hours ago, timschochet said:

Sorry for you and your family's loss, Tim. 

12 hours ago, otb_lifer said:

i definitely think WARM (geeeeeaaaarrrr) LEATHERETTE (geeeeeaaaarrrr) belongs up on this bisch ...

that being said, i *shudder* at the thought of a Dark Wave countdown run by anyone other than MoCS. 

I whip out the #Sorrow on you ###, and you shall do more than shuddah, ya muddah! 

• Sad 1