What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (3 Viewers)

Have we made clear if 5 means only at 5, or 0-5.... Same for 10 (5-10) etc?

ETA...or around 5?

Last edited by a moderator:
Northern Voice said:
:yes: Basically that time of your life.
For sure will be more interesting this way - especially for the early years of most of us.  I don't think my music tastes have changed that much in the last 20 years, but those first 15 were, um, interesting.   There are also 3-4 very distinct bands or artists that I can remember at some of these times, but one was more ages 9-10 and one was more 11 or so.  

I'll kick this off:

1.01 - Five Years Old - The Beatles - I Want To Hold Your Hand

I remember this clear as a bell. I would sit there with my mother's portable turntable and play this song over and over like a goon. I loved the opening riff, loved dancing around, loved everything about it, from where it slows down to the bridge to rockin' out again. It's also a nice memory of Mom, too, as she loves the song also despite my repeated playing of it.

I'm having a tough time choosing between songs that remind me of my parents or a song from a band I had the poster of on the wall. My album from the time is a no brainer for tomorrow and like someone else said, I still know every word to every song on it.

There are a couple of ways I can go with this. There are 2 distinct songs I can remember hearing when I was around 5. But Im not sure that those would be favorites or just songs I remember. So Im going to go with this one. Coming home every day from school, Sid and Marty shows were on PIX 11. They rotated between different shows every day. So I could have chosen any since they all had great theme songs, but went with this one

Tra La La Song

And a bonus kick ### version by Liz Phair

I suspect for most of us the 5 year old selections will be parent influenced. 

This came down to two obvious choices for me.  I went with this one for song because the other one is on the album I'll be selecting tomorrow.

My dad was a stoic man.  He did not verbally express his emotions very often but he showed it all the time and I never doubted it. I would not consider him a music lover but he owned this LP and played it a lot on one of those classic 70's console record players and I remember hearing it a lot. Pretty sure it was his favorite song.  And I still love it. 

When I was searching for songs for this age I played this one and teared up instantly. Obvious first pick for me.

Age 5-ish song:  Jesse Winchester - Mississippi You're On My Mind

I'll kick this off in response:

1.01 - Five Years Old - The Beatles - I Want To Hold Your Hand

I remember this clear as a bell. I would sit there with my mother's portable turntable and play this song over and over like a goon. I loved the opening riff, loved dancing around, loved everything about it, from where it slows down to the bridge to rockin' out again. It's also a nice memory of Mom, too, as she loves the song also despite my repeated playing of it.
Ironically for this draft, my Beatlemania phase lasted from the ages of 11-14, so even though they ruled a chunk of my formative years, they won't be on my list.

There are a couple of ways I can go with this. There are 2 distinct songs I can remember hearing when I was around 5. But Im not sure that those would be favorites or just songs I remember. So Im going to go with this one. Coming home every day from school, Sid and Marty shows were on PIX 11. They rotated between different shows every day. So I could have chosen any since they all had great theme songs, but went with this one

Tra La La Song

Love it.  I think I still remember all the lyrics to this (although there aren't that many) and find myself singing it to myself randomly every now and then 🤣

My parents were both primary school teachers and this was played at the end of every episode of "The Elephant Show" a hugely popular children's educational show in Canada that it looks like was also aired on Nickelodeon in the states, so maybe people are familiar? Anyway, The Elephant Show aired from 84-89 so it fits squarely in this timeline as an 83 born child. My mom would sing it to me as a lullaby as a kid and I think I have memories of my dad singing it as well, though memories from that age can be a funny thing. Anyway, the surviving members (R.I.P. Lois :cry: ) still tour up here playing Folk Festivals and the like and always get a big turnout in my age bracket.

As a song it's got it all I continue to love, some nice horns up front and throughout, a slow build to a big singalong chorus, hell it might as well be Arcade Fire.

Sharon, Lois & Bram - Skinnamarink

Tra La La Song

I'm a little taken aback that you didn't describe it as the Banana Splits theme song, but I'm glad you meant that one instead of those annoying twins that kept popping up at random points during their show.

5yo Song: See You Later, Alligator, Bill Haley & the Comets

My record collection was the first thing i was famous for. Me Ma did her big shopping twice a month and, if i was good, i got my choice form the 29¢ rack at the checkout counter - either a 45 or a storybook. Don't think i ever got the book (my aunties bought me enough of those anyway). Bill Haley, ElvisElvisandmoreElvis, Sons of the Pioneers and i looooved Les Paul & Mary Ford. I was steered away from Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis & other immorals.

We lived in the married students dorm at UVM and held a pizza party for the rest of the house every Friday nite because we had the best hifi (me Da was a GIBill guy in his late 20s, so had more stuff than the younger students) and me Ma was raised by Sicilians and made a focaccia/tomato-bread kinda pie that was the talk of campus.

The dorm guy who brewed the beer for these parties was fascinated with me because i fairly well came out of the womb talking. He was listening to my jibberjabber one Friday before i had to go to bed, and i showed him the box me Da had made for my 45s. He asked me if i had 'Hound Dog' and i flipped thru the discs like a file clerk and handed it to him. I wasn't 2 years old yet, so this Ed couldn't believe i could read, nm file. But me Da nodded. Ed grabbed a handful of singles and mixed them up, thinking maybe i knew them by order, but i identified each one he handed to me and immediately put them back in their sposeta place.

My first favorite song was the Mickey Mouse March but that was passe by the time i was five. I'm known to say 'seeya later alligator' to this day and my 94 & 96yo peeps confirm this was what i sang around the house as a kid more than all others combined.

Rd 1 

Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin

our babysitter Colleen came from quite the family - pops was NYPD, her mom a teacher (and former nun!)

there were 7 kids - 5 girls, 2 boys - both brothers had passed by this time (1974), one by OD, the other in Viet Nam. 

that left the 5 lasses, and, man, were they the epitome of "Irish Roses" ... a 5 year old otb really loved his older "sisters", which is what they became to us 4 boys (her sisters Katherine and Maureen would also sit for my mom).

Colleen was prolly 15 or so around this time ... and just about every Saturday, once my mom left for bingo, it was ON! she would sneak us out the apartment, usually in our pajamas, and take us down to 12th ave, near the waterfront, where her crew was hanging. 

lotta weed was smoked.  lotta drinking (the girls with the Strawberry Boone's Farm, guys with BUD).

and they blasted the music like crazy ... Janis was Colleen's favorite, and we would hear this tune at least a couple times per evening.  she would belt it out with such passion ... she was a pretty tough and intense chick. 

as i got older i eschewed all the "hippie ####!", as i started to find my own faves amongst the glam and punk and goth and thrash ... but i always kept "Pearl" around in my collection.   it was a guilty pleasure then, an absolute favorite, now. 

Kristofferson's lyrics really resonate as one gets older, and fully grasps the sheer gorgeousness of their urgency ... one of the greatest passages ever written: " but i'd trade all of my tomorrow's/for one single yesterday/to be holding Bobby's body/next to mine"

floored to this day by how much that hits me. 

postmortem: Colleen eventually joined the force, like her dad, but her life took a severe downturn, as she was convicted of manslaughter, responsible for the killing of her abusive husband. she did 7 years, then was killed by a drunk driver a couple months after she was let out.   her sister Maureen, who became the first crush of my life, OD'd at the age of 16.  Kathleen was paralyzed after falling from a fire escape while high on dust, and passed about a decade later. 

i'll forever love and miss my sisters, they shaped so much of my early life.  

ps- cool trivia nugget on Janis was that she was classmates with Jimmy Johnson in the Thomas Jefferson High class of 1961 (Port Arthur, TX.) 

"HOW 'BOUT THEM GRADUATES!!!!", indeed.  

5.ee  Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious - Marni Nixon and Bill Lee

When I was little, there was this big hi fi phonograph cabinet in the living room that looked something like this.  Our family didn't have a lot of records but the ones we had were stored in a closet in the hallway right next to my bedroom door.

Mary Poppins was the first movie I can remember seeing in a theater.  Instead of the OST with Julie Andrews and **** Van Dyke, we owned a cut rate version on the Disneyland Records label that I'm pretty sure had a gatefold storybook inside.  Marni Nixon and Bill Lee are two of music's unsung heroes.  She ghosted vocals for Natalie Wood in West Side Story and Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady.  He sang Christopher Plummer's parts in The Sound of Music.  This version takes me back and melds with the movie version in my memories.

5.ee  Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious - Marni Nixon and Bill Lee

When I was little, there was this big hi fi phonograph cabinet in the living room that looked something like this.  Our family didn't have a lot of records but the ones we had were stored in a closet in the hallway right next to my bedroom door.

Mary Poppins was the first movie I can remember seeing in a theater.  Instead of the OST with Julie Andrews and **** Van Dyke, we owned a cut rate version on the Disneyland Records label that I'm pretty sure had a gatefold storybook inside.  Marni Nixon and Bill Lee are two of music's unsung heroes.  She ghosted vocals for Natalie Wood in West Side Story and Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady.  He sang Christopher Plummer's parts in The Sound of Music.  This version takes me back and melds with the movie version in my memories.
my choreographer/director cousins have made it far enough up their career ladders to have met virtually every extant hero they had growing up. the only person they each made a point to tell me about meeting was Marni Nixon

5 Years Old - Song: "Snoopy vs Red Baron" - Royal Guardsmen

I didn't have this record, but a neighbor the same age did. And he would play it over and over and over. If we weren't 5 (as I was in 1967), then we were only 6 when he played the hell out of it. He knew every word, even if he couldn't say them correctly, and he would set up toys to act the song out. I never hated the song, though - in fact, I got hooked on it too (had no choice, really). His family moved away a year or two later and I never heard from him again. It's a nice memory for me of a couple of 5 or 6 year old doofuses playing with plastic army men and listening to a goofy record a million times a day.

RD 1- help - Beatles

I got my first record player (bright yellow) when I was 5ish. I was given two records with it, Bach's well tempered claviar (I started piano then and Bach had the best sounding kids stuff) and a Barry Manilow album. Was tempted to go with a song from the latter that felt like my first big-boy music, but instead will go with Help- from my older brothers collection.

I would set up huge diorama  battlegrounds on my bed with toy soldiers and forts made from Lincoln logs and legos...spend hours making them. and when I was done, would carefully drop the needle down to Help and let the battle begin. I replayed the song over and over until the last man was standing.

5 Years Old - Song: "Snoopy vs Red Baron" - Royal Guardsmen

I didn't have this record, but a neighbor the same age did. And he would play it over and over and over. If we weren't 5 (as I was in 1967), then we were only 6 when he played the hell out of it. He knew every word, even if he couldn't say them correctly, and he would set up toys to act the song out. I never hated the song, though - in fact, I got hooked on it too (had no choice, really). His family moved away a year or two later and I never heard from him again. It's a nice memory for me of a couple of 5 or 6 year old doofuses playing with plastic army men and listening to a goofy record a million times a day.
Oh...dammit...should've thought more about this one- nice!

Round 1 Sprach Zarathustra (Theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey)

I was supposed to have been named after the astronaut, John Glenn - but my mom was on so many drugs in the hospital she named me after my dad.  My middle name is Glen, though.  Because I was born in 1970, space has always fascinated me, and seeing the album cover made me dream of reaching the stars.  However, I also remember being frightened of this song when I was around 5 -  when the BA-DUM hits, it scared the crap out of me.  It was difficult to pick just one song as music shaped my life early.  But for me, this song was a good first introduction to how music can generate emotion.

I told Mr R he could play.  His choice is awesome.

My 5-year-old self listened to this because it got a lot of radio play:  King of the Road by Roger Miller.  It wasn't easy figuring out which songs I listened to in which year.  
we were neighbors in NM backinday. he thought his ranch was far enough out of Santa Fe to avoid the hippie invasion, and didn't much care for we dirty commune folk. those cleancut enough to buy him drinks at the El Nido bar, though, were treated to the banter of what most said was the funniest human being they'd ever seen.

we were neighbors in NM backinday. he thought his ranch was far enough out of Santa Fe to avoid the hippie invasion, and didn't much care for we dirty commune folk. those cleancut enough to buy him drinks at the El Nido bar, though, were treated to the banter of what most said was the funniest human being they'd ever seen.
Honestly, dude.  Is there anyone in the music biz that you don't know?  I am so jealous.

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night

One of my first musical memories is driving around in the car with my mom as I desperately tried to get my mind around the meaning of the chorus of this song. I asked her to explain it to me and she did her best, but I remember just saying that I understood to put her out of her misery. 

It's funny that I can still rattle off ABC's Friday night lineup of The Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Odd Couple, Room 222 and Love American Style but probably couldn't tell you the correct day and time of any current show.
I couldn't tell you a major network lineup right now either.

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night

One of my first musical memories is driving around in the car with my mom as I desperately tried to get my mind around the meaning of the chorus of this song. I asked her to explain it to me and she did her best, but I remember just saying that I understood to put her out of her misery. 
Maybe they were playing Twister.

My first memory of a specific song is from the late 60s, when my mom and her friend Kay were dancing to Age of Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In. Mom had the album, and they were doing some groovy dance in the family room to that tune. 

My first memory of a specific song is from the late 60s, when my mom and her friend Kay were dancing to Age of Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In. Mom had the album, and they were doing some groovy dance in the family room to that tune. 
🎵 Let the sunshine - let the sunshine - the sun shine in

Love that tune. Cool memory.  Halley's Comet from Phish fame is also a fave of mine when sung acapella by your friends to the tune of "Happy Water"

Happy Water - happy water...

I had that one on my short list.  I actually got to meet Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis at a concert of theirs a couple months back.  Both still very sharp and had a lot of good positive energy.  Check out this video for a fun history on that song.

Users who are viewing this thread