What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (1 Viewer)

I had that one on my short list.  I actually got to meet Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis at a concert of theirs a couple months back.  Both still very sharp and had a lot of good positive energy.  Check out this video for a fun history on that song.
They look good, and are still married!

Up to date to here.  I think I'm working from home for the forseeable future and will be able to stay on top of things but we're up to 25 people in, which is awesome :thumbup: , so if anyone wants to jump in updating the playlist or spreadsheet at any time, feel free.

My memories of music before age 6 consist of listening to Beatles records with my mom and a handful of popular radio hits that I would jam out to.  I can still remember hearing these in parents'/aunts'/uncles'/etc cars, and digging on them, singing along, getting geeky about it even then.  Gonna take

Paul Simon - 50 Ways to Leave Your  Lover 

because it sticks with me the most as one of those mid-70s car radio tracks with the kid friendly hook.  Here are a few others I entertained that would also qualify

Cold As Ice

Sir Duke

Philadelphia Freedom

That Smell

fn Short People

My memories of music before age 6 consist of listening to Beatles records with my mom and a handful of popular radio hits that I would jam out to.  I can still remember hearing these in parents'/aunts'/uncles'/etc cars, and digging on them, singing along, getting geeky about it even then.  Gonna take

because it sticks with me the most as one of those mid-70s car radio tracks with the kid friendly hook.  Here are a few others I entertained that would also qualify

Cold As Ice

Sir Duke

Philadelphia Freedom

That Smell

fn Short People
Funny you labeled it this way.  I call all these types of songs from this era (I think we are about the same age--I may be a few years older) my Sunday night songs.  

We lived in Seattle at that time and spent many weekends at my aunt and uncle's house.  Me hanging out with my cousins and our parents, we realized later, smoking a lot of weed.  Due to a change in my dad's job we moved to Olympia but we still often drove up to Seattle on Friday nights to spend weekends with them.  Of course that meant driving back to Olympia, usually late on Sunday night, and my parents would have these songs playing on the radio.

So, as a child, I associated them with the dread of a late night arrival home to get up early and go to school the next morning---that association made me dislike these songs and it's taken a few decades for me to come around and appreciate (many of) them as great songs.  

My first memory of a specific song is from the late 60s, when my mom and her friend Kay were dancing to Age of Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In. Mom had the album, and they were doing some groovy dance in the family room to that tune. 
I thought I was going to take the Kingston trios version of the lion sleeps tonight.

My parents took me to see them somewhere around 5yo, and this was a sing along with the audience...was a big hit for me.

Cold As Ice

Sir Duke

Philadelphia Freedom

That Smell

fn Short People
You can probably guess my name, as I had to make a new plan.

Just a reminder to try to keep the spotlighty talk in spoiler tags etc where you can... The songs that were near misses for me at 5 years old aren't even eligible to drafted by Eephus for 12 more rounds or so ;)  and he may want a shot at them.

I know we're the same age.  The KT were one of my parent's favorites!
Our parents musical tastes must have shaped ours too...even if mine went different directions. They loved folk, musicals, classical...even had some brazilian stuff (I think Sergio Mendes was the house band in a local bar for a stretch). But they were never big rock fans at all...kinda missed the boat on it.

Hey take it easy on the age group at risk
Speaking of that....my wife and I were supposed to be meeting our two daughters in Santa Fe for a spring break vacation this week.  So I had cancelled my clinic schedule 2 months ago.  Had to cancel the trip last Friday when things really hit the fan.  Opened the schedule up 4 days ago but it didn't fill up much so I decided to take the days off anyway.  Frankly, with COVID19 and the earthquakes, the staycation time for decompression is greatly needed.  

So I'll have plenty of time to keep up with this draft until next Tuesday.  Drinking a beer with lunch right now.   :banned:

since i aint harshin' anyone else's turf, my other candidates were Hound DogMr SandmanCool Water (even tho i was mostly a fan of Sons of the Pioneers cuz i idolized Roy Rogers - dressed like him when all the other kids were wearing Dan'l Boonskins - this Roy-less # was my fave) and, especially Banana Boat Song because my baby sis couldn't pronounce my name, could sing before she could talk and called me Day-o til i was like 36.

since i aint harshin' anyone else's turf, my other candidates were Hound DogMr SandmanCool Water (even tho i was mostly a fan of Sons of the Pioneers cuz i idolized Roy Rogers - dressed like him when all the other kids were wearing Dan'l Boonskins - this Roy-less # was my fave) and, especially Banana Boat Song because my baby sis couldn't pronounce my name, could sing before she could talk and called me Day-o til i was like 36.
I'm pretty sure I'm not impinging on anyone else, either.  I had the single of Dominique by Soeur Sourire (The SInging Nun).  Ugh.  That pos was everywhere.  Why?  I don't know.

5 Years Old (Song) - I Want To Hold Your Hand - The Beatles

As suspected, these guys and a couple of their top songs would likely be THE pick for anyone lucky enough to there.  This isn't a creative take, but it's not supposed to be.  If you weren't there to experience it, it's tough to appreciate the significance.  Hell, even at the ripe old age of 5, it was world changing.  Prior to their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, all I had was my yellow 78s, with high-pitched songs about bunnies, turtles and some other crap.  

I had a burr haircut but wanted to grow my hair out, they made everyone want to grow their hair out.  They were funny, talented and cool - and they changed the world.  Later, I affected a British accent and told my teacher I born in England.  The Beatles cartoon came on Saturday mornings, I was a big Alvin & the Chipmunks fan so I had to have this album for Christmas.  And of course the lunchbox was a must for me.  

And the movie, "Help" ...holy ####.  That was unbelievable - maybe others don't think so, but that movie STILL stands up for me.  Yeah, there's not a plot - who cares?  It's entertaining and funny.  Think I'm gonna watch it again this week - and make my daughter watch it with me.  

ETA:  As I look back, my long term favorite became 

Last edited by a moderator:
5 Years Old (Song) - I Want To Hold Your Hand - The Beatles

As suspected, these guys and a couple of their top songs would likely be THE pick for anyone lucky enough to there.  This isn't a creative take, but it's not supposed to be.  If you weren't there to experience it, it's tough to appreciate the significance.  Hell, even at the ripe old age of 5, it was world changing.  Prior to their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, all I had was my yellow 78s, with high-pitched songs about bunnies, turtles and some other crap.  

I had a burr haircut but wanted to grow my hair out, they made everyone want to grow their hair out.  They were funny, talented and cool - and they changed the world.  Later, I affected a British accent and told my teacher I born in England.  The Beatles cartoon came on Saturday mornings, I was a big Alvin & the Chipmunks fan so I had to have this album for Christmas.  And of course the lunchbox was a must for me.  

And the movie, "Help" ...holy ####.  That was unbelievable - maybe others don't think so, but that movie STILL stands up for me.  Yeah, there's not a plot - who cares?  It's entertaining and funny.  Think I'm gonna watch it again this week - and make my daughter watch it with me.  

<side note:  how do you put comments in the hidden box ...I knew at one time.  Is it with the < > deals?>
you need to put [ spoiler ] in front of it (no space)

my parents were absolutely NOT music people when i was growing up (and still aren't today), so any and all influences were external from our house. literally, the closest thing we had to a record player was the Fisher Price Record Player, so it was a super-luxury when they bought a Sound Design LP/cassette/8-track for the living room (more on that in the Age 10 rounds). 

at age 5-ish, the song that sticks with me the most is this gem from Donny & Marie. TV was the only way i was able to really hear any kind of music - including Sesame Street, etc. - and i can clearly remember singing this song out loud over and over, while playing in the back yard on the jungle-gym/swingset combo. 

my parents were absolutely NOT music people when i was growing up (and still aren't today), so any and all influences were external from our house. literally, the closest thing we had to a record player was the Fisher Price Record Player, so it was a super-luxury when they bought a Sound Design LP/cassette/8-track for the living room (more on that in the Age 10 rounds). 

at age 5-ish, the song that sticks with me the most is this gem from Donny & Marie. TV was the only way i was able to really hear any kind of music - including Sesame Street, etc. - and i can clearly remember singing this song out loud over and over, while playing in the back yard on the jungle-gym/swingset combo. 
NO SPOTLIGHTING!!!  :)

Round 1 - 5 Years Old

The Association - Kind of a Drag

My father was into a lot of the melotic hits of the 60's.  There were some pretty good bands from my area in the late 60's - The Association, Buckinghams, Idea of March, and Tommy James.  He also was a big Beach Boys fan, much more than the Beatles (even though my parents sat outside of Comiskey Park and heard the concert in '64).  He always played the 8-tracks of the chicago bands, Kind of a Drag stood out for the intro.

1- Five Year Old - Song - Bay City Rollers - Bye Bye Baby

I was a little bit older than five, but its my first musical memory. At school i was fascinated by Sally Parker. She was a year older, but blonde and id never seen anyone so pretty. Her and her chubby friend Karen were singing this song. After that I started listening to the radio and saw this on the tv as the number song for the week. The band looked like Aliens and all i can remember is the screaming girls. Sally Parker moved away soon after, but if it wasnt for her who knows when the light would have come on. 

As for the song, its a different and more souped up version than the original by the four seasons. 

Last edited by a moderator:
1- Five Year Old - Song - Bay City Rollers - Bye Bye Baby

I was a little bit older than five, but its my first musical memory. At school i was fascinated by Sally Parker. She was a year older, but blonde and id never seen anyone so pretty. Her and her chubby friend Karen were singing this song. After that I started listening to the radio and saw this on the tv as the number song for the week. The band looked like Aliens and all i can remember is the screaming girls. Sally Parker moved away soon after, but if it wasnt for her who knows when the light would have come on. 

As for the song, its a totally different version than the slow original by the four seasons. 
Oooh...their big hit will be on a shortlist for sure.

Round 1 - Songs of my life - 5 years old

Chuck Berry My Ding -A-Ling

Sadly this was Chuck's only No. 1 song in the US. I had this 45 when I was a kid and played it all the time and sing along. Of course I really thought his Ding-A-Ling really was "silver bells on a string." Only a few years later did I get what Chuck really was playing with.
subconscious working even at that age.  

That is my memory of The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show.  I could not figure out why they wouldn't shut up during the songs.  The screaming in between I didn't mind.  Never did grow to like them.
I have very few childhood memories of the Ed Sullivan Show.  It ran on Sunday nights in a timeslot that conflicted with "Disney's Wonderful World of Color" on NBC. 

I have very few childhood memories of the Ed Sullivan Show.  It ran on Sunday nights in a timeslot that conflicted with "Disney's Wonderful World of Color" on NBC. 
I used to watch that on my B&W TV.  I remembering wondering what it looked like in color.

Users who are viewing this thread