What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How concerned are you about your job? (1 Viewer)

10 being very concerned, 1 not at all... If things don't improve within the next 3 months, how conce

Votes: 14 4.0%

Votes: 16 4.6%

Votes: 24 6.9%

Votes: 18 5.2%

Votes: 14 4.0%

Votes: 29 8.4%

Votes: 23 6.6%

Votes: 46 13.3%

Votes: 43 12.4%

Votes: 119 34.4%

• Total voters
Feel like we need another poll for furloughed folks "how concerned are you about getting your job back"?

Last week, I felt totally fine, and was actually a bit relieved to be furloughed (only in that it was a definitive answer to a question we all were asking). Yesterday, for the first time, I was like - damn, my job may not exist in 2 or 3 months.

To give a bit more backstory - I work in a children's museum. I lead the team that designs and fabricates and installs our exhibits. I am questioning when the the hell masses of people and families are going to want to all be in a confined museum space. On a good day, we get 4000 visitors. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be around that many people. At least not anytime in the foreseeable future.

With staff layoffs and furloughs, we have enough money to stay afloat until July. What happens after that? Who the hell knows. As a point of reference, we are one of the busiest and most succesful childrens museum in the country. We are certainly not alone in this, and I fear that hundreds, if not thousands of cultural institutions may not be able to get back on their feet after all this
We love the MN Children's Museum. Sorry moops :(   But yeah, no way we'll be going to visit the museum or other confined space with lots of people for the foreseeable future. My wife mentioned that we can't wait for the zoo to open back up. I looked at her and said "you and everybody else... no way we're going right away even when it does open."

Not concerned at all.  Working from home and hiring.  Been a very busy month as the market conditions have increased demands for what my team produces.

I could live with a 4 day work week and a 20% reduction in pay.    Its a great time of the year to have that additional day off.

I took this new job 6 months ago as a way of fighting off financial bumps in the economy.

I do super-high end residential architecture. Most of the clients I was working for previously (while at other jobs) were mega rich ($100mil+), but would still feel it when the economy bumped. And architecture is usually the first industry to feel the hit when the first ripples of recession appear...and the last to come out of it. 

This new job, it's pretty much all billionaires and untouchables.

But the projects I've been running since I started are both wrapping up, and I'll have nothing to do by the end of April or sooner if Cuomo's edict closes construction sites. I'm already not at a full 40 hours of real work per week.

I've asked for more work...starting a couple weeks ago, but have been shut out. Not a good sign at all. And horrible timing. I think they'll shuffle work to people who have been there longer and likely lay me off when my projects wrap.

I see another month of work at most, and then *poof* ...####ed 

I voted 10...without any sense of hyperbole.
Time sheets due today. 

No word at all from the staffing heads, but I assume they'll be reviewing everybody's hours with HR and make a plan based on the collective timesheets and our input about availability for what's next.

I was head-hunted right before this hit- the guy listed a number of good offices, including my own (he wasn't aware I made the switch last fall), but I wasn't interested. I reached back to him with updated resume and said I'm definitely interested now. Maybe I'll get a new job at my existing office if they furlough me!

Feel like we need another poll for furloughed folks "how concerned are you about getting your job back"?

Last week, I felt totally fine, and was actually a bit relieved to be furloughed (only in that it was a definitive answer to a question we all were asking). Yesterday, for the first time, I was like - damn, my job may not exist in 2 or 3 months.

To give a bit more backstory - I work in a children's museum. I lead the team that designs and fabricates and installs our exhibits. I am questioning when the the hell masses of people and families are going to want to all be in a confined museum space. On a good day, we get 4000 visitors. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be around that many people. At least not anytime in the foreseeable future.

With staff layoffs and furloughs, we have enough money to stay afloat until July. What happens after that? Who the hell knows. As a point of reference, we are one of the busiest and most succesful childrens museum in the country. We are certainly not alone in this, and I fear that hundreds, if not thousands of cultural institutions may not be able to get back on their feet after all this
I assume this is the one in St. Paul?  When we lived there, we LOVED going there.  All the best.

Home growing is going to kill your industry.   Sorry, but it’s obvious.
No it’s not.  
A black market will exist, no doubt.  There’s too much demand and I can’t grow the same quality and genetics as licensed growers. If that were the case we’d see signs of it in CO, OR and WA. We’re not. 

You going to be able to collect unemployment bennies for that week?   I thought i saw that they got rid of the one week waiting period.
I see that they did that in Texas, does my employer need to let the state know? Do I have to apply every month?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has home brewing killed the beer market?
I’ve never liked this analogy. People garden for fun. They literally spend time growing plants that don’t even get them high. There aren’t people out there brewing non-alcoholic beer just for the fun of it. Not saying it would effect the market much, but I think people will be much more likely to try their hand at growing weed than producing their own beer.

I’ve never liked this analogy. People garden for fun. They literally spend time growing plants that don’t even get them high. There aren’t people out there brewing non-alcoholic beer just for the fun of it. Not saying it would effect the market much, but I think people will be much more likely to try their hand at growing weed than producing their own beer.
agreed.  it was fun for me at first as well.  its still pretty cool seeing the buds start to fill in and harvesting time is exciting, but I've never been the type to garden when I can just go to the store and buy some veggies.

:shrug:

I grew my own a couple times- not easy and didn't look nice (in a garden).  but I was responding to the comment that it was going to "kill the cannabis industry". I think the home-brew analogy is relatively apt. 

Glad to see so many people are still comfortable with their work situations.

Seems like a lot of people work in relatively safe industries/positions, or have a false sense of security. I am hoping for everyone’s sake that it’s truly the former.

We had a guy hired to fill a vacancy.  His start day was Monday (yesterday).  Last Friday, they pulled his offer.  That suuucks.

This week they cut our 401(k) match.  Probably going to cut contractors loose soon.

As long as we are in business, I'm safe.  They love me.  I am probably the only one to get a bonus this year due to busting my ### so much over the last couple of years on a successful project.

The risk is our business isn't in great shape.  We were bought by a new VC just before Christmas.  They put in a new CEO, and then maybe a month ago our president left (not yet replaced) and my VP (my bosses boss) announced his retirement in May.  Who knows what the new owners want to do.

Last i heard, sales were up a good bit for 2020, but that was before all of this hit.  We are still working - manufacturing continues.  I think we will be ok, but who knows.  I assume sales must have fallen off a cliff over the past few weeks.

I took this new job 6 months ago as a way of fighting off financial bumps in the economy.

I do super-high end residential architecture. Most of the clients I was working for previously (while at other jobs) were mega rich ($100mil+), but would still feel it when the economy bumped. And architecture is usually the first industry to feel the hit when the first ripples of recession appear...and the last to come out of it. 

But the projects I've been running since I started are both wrapping up, and I'll have nothing to do by the end of April or sooner if Cuomo's edict closes construction sites. I'm already not at a full 40 hours of real work per week.

I've asked for more work...starting a couple weeks ago, but have been shut out. Not a good sign at all. And horrible timing. I think they'll shuffle work to people who have been there longer and likely lay me off when my projects wrap.

Time sheets due today. 

No word at all from the staffing heads, but I assume they'll be reviewing everybody's hours with HR and make a plan based on the collective timesheets and our input about availability for what's next.

I was head-hunted right before this hit- the guy listed a number of good offices, including my own (he wasn't aware I made the switch last fall), but I wasn't interested. I reached back to him with updated resume and said I'm definitely interested now. Maybe I'll get a new job at my existing office if they furlough me!
just got this email: "In order to protect as many jobs as possible, and we will not be able to protect all of our jobs, we are implementing a 20% pay cut across the board as of next pay period, April 16 (we're payed bi-monthly). We will make every effort to review this 'new normal' going forward.  This is not something we ever wanted to do and we appreciate the burden this will impose on you.  As you can see, this is being imposed across the board.  Our hope is that May will bring a better outlook, but this crisis has had a dramatic impact on our industry and our clients and we must accept this reality and act to protect the future."

as a recent, senior hire- I'm ####ed. really, really, really hope not... but dammit.

and an seriously unfortunate complication from this- I had been an independent contractor for years prior to taking this job in September. I was on ACA for insurance- not great, but something I could afford for my family (it was well over 2k/month before the ACA) and worked ok for our needs. with the job, I took their good insurance coverage and stopped being an independent contractor.... losing the ACA insurance. if I get laid off, COBRA is going to clean me out. 

Last week wife was told 20% pay cut for all employees but she and her team were “safe” from furloughs. Not a week later they are furloughing almost everyone for 2 weeks, “maybe longer”. Her dept. is keeping only one guy working. I think it’s going to be much longer than 2 weeks.

Shes trying to decide now whether to go on unemployment or start using her 5 weeks vacation (which would be paid at 80%). Really wondering if she (and I) will have jobs to return to.

So close...5 more years we would have been golden with our credit and financial situation intact/thriving.

just got this email: "In order to protect as many jobs as possible, and we will not be able to protect all of our jobs, we are implementing a 20% pay cut across the board as of next pay period, April 16 (we're payed bi-monthly). We will make every effort to review this 'new normal' going forward.  This is not something we ever wanted to do and we appreciate the burden this will impose on you.  As you can see, this is being imposed across the board.  Our hope is that May will bring a better outlook, but this crisis has had a dramatic impact on our industry and our clients and we must accept this reality and act to protect the future."

as a recent, senior hire- I'm ####ed. really, really, really hope not... but dammit.

and an seriously unfortunate complication from this- I had been an independent contractor for years prior to taking this job in September. I was on ACA for insurance- not great, but something I could afford for my family (it was well over 2k/month before the ACA) and worked ok for our needs. with the job, I took their good insurance coverage and stopped being an independent contractor.... losing the ACA insurance. if I get laid off, COBRA is going to clean me out. 
I'm sorry to hear that, GB. These across the board % cuts are obviously never good for anyone, but ultimately don't have the same proportionate affect on everyone.

I'm sorry to hear that, GB. These across the board % cuts are obviously never good for anyone, but ultimately don't have the same proportionate affect on everyone.
Thanks.

At this point I'll take the pay cut and keep the job... Not exactly happily, but healthily.

I'm going to have to figure out 401k and IRA withdrawals, hope that it's enough to keep us alive and hope there's work to come back to. This isn't exactly the time and likely for a while that people will think to build or renovate their house or apartment and hire an architect to help.

Thanks.

At this point I'll take the pay cut and keep the job... Not exactly happily, but healthily.

I'm going to have to figure out 401k and IRA withdrawals, hope that it's enough to keep us alive and hope there's work to come back to. This isn't exactly the time and likely for a while that people will think to build or renovate their house or apartment and hire an architect to help.
Hope you can weather through without too much struggle. On the bright side, after being locked inside their houses for several weeks your clients will realize that 10,000 sf just isn’t enough. Business will be booming.  :thumbup:

:shrug:

I grew my own a couple times- not easy and didn't look nice (in a garden).  but I was responding to the comment that it was going to "kill the cannabis industry". I think the home-brew analogy is relatively apt. 
ah, you grew outdoors.   I'd think most growers would do it indoors.   it does require more setup but a lot easier to control the conditions once you have everything dialed in.

El Floppo said:
Thanks.

I guess the one saving grace is that 401k and IRA early withdrawal penalties are waived for this year - not that anyone wants to resort to dipping into their retirement savings right now.

Ack.  I survived layoffs and furloughing, but the CEO of the company gave a "state of the company" address yesterday, indicating that everyone was going to see reduced hours/pay.  But it looks like my division (which represents 1/10 of the workforce but generates about 1/4 of the revenue) may avoid the reduction.  At least that's the hope.  I'm ready to hit up unemployment/reduced hours benefits if things change. 

Wishing all of you well.

BigJohn said:
I'm lucky. 

Work for a large municipal water distribution system.  I'm working remote.  And if I did have to go on COVID related leave, I get 96 hours of c-19 vacation pay that's good until the end of the year, and I'd go on paid administrative leave after that.
That's a sweet deal.  We have special time coding in case we get it that doesn't count against our PTO.

Time sheets due today. 

and an seriously unfortunate complication from this- I had been an independent contractor for years prior to taking this job in September. I was on ACA for insurance- not great, but something I could afford for my family (it was well over 2k/month before the ACA) and worked ok for our needs. with the job, I took their good insurance coverage and stopped being an independent contractor.... losing the ACA insurance. if I get laid off, COBRA is going to clean me out
Huh..thought I posted here.

I was laid off the same afternoon, Wednesday. Via email.

I had and have a bunch of questions the need immediate answers- like insurance end/ COBRA start and cost. We likely can't afford COBRA and will need to know when we need our new insurance. Neither the COO or HR manager have replied with even one word to my emails...and with the office closed, I don't have phone number to call any more. Not even a "let us get back to you" email. 

I had and have a bunch of questions the need immediate answers- like insurance end/ COBRA start and cost. We likely can't afford COBRA and will need to know when we need our new insurance. Neither the COO or HR manager have replied with even one word to my emails...and with the office closed, I don't have phone number to call any more. Not even a "let us get back to you" email. 
wow - that's not cool.  Are they truly that heartless? 

Anyone else you can contact to maybe get the right phone numbers?  

I work with schools for a start-up. We're small enough, in terms of team, that we can continue to make payroll mostly. I'm the sales director and we're stalled with schools closed for the quarantine. We're taking a SBA loan as a precaution to keep things running while we wait for schools to resume August/September. We're having to invest in a remote learning and/or online functionality for our live classroom solution. Not ideal but it should help us long term.

Got pushed back to 36hrs on Friday.  Some got 10-20% cuts.  All of this is "temporary" and I'm still not too concerned about my position.  I still give it a 5.  Hopefully, initiatives like this can prevent people from being furloughed or layed off.  

Overall, it appears all companies are responding much faster than last time.  

Damb, flops... Tough to see you in such straits.  Sending you good thoughts.

Yeah sorry to hear about this.  What a terrible and helpless feeling.  

Sorry to hear.  Hopefully the reap what they sow after this is over.

Ping matttyl about the insurance.  As I recall, you have two months to sign up for COBRA retroactively and two more months before you have to pay the premium.  That could be bad information, but do find out.  The point is that you don't have to jump on anything.  Also, given that the Feds are covering anything COVID related and we are stuck at home, it may make sense to roll without the insurance.  That said, given your earnings to date, ACA insurance would probably be free and you qualify under a life changing event.

just now heard from HR.

my insurance ends on April 16- the same day that they're considering my termination. Termination, not furlough. I'm hearing the same about others (as well as lack of response).

COBRA is $3,413 a month. 

so- with my $1,100/week of unemployment (and I'm grateful for the extra $600) I can cover COBRA. and maybe have enough to feed my family. as long as I don't pay rent, utilities, phone, life insurance or anything else.

why they didn't send this out with my termination, I don't ####### know. Have to check with the wife to make sure of when she has our new (ACA) insurance scheduled to start. we both- and everybody else I asked- assumed April had already been payed for, so would need new coverage starting May 1. this could have been answered with a simple ####### email instead of waiting most of a week later.

why they didn't send this out with my termination, I don't ####### know. Have to check with the wife to make sure of when she has our new (ACA) insurance scheduled to start. we both- and everybody else I asked- assumed April had already been payed for, so would need new coverage starting May 1. this could have been answered with a simple ####### email instead of waiting most of a week later.
The legal people start dominating all the HR stuff in this kind of process.  They hate individual communication - it's too ripe for inconsistent/incorrect messages to different people.  And then possible lawsuits.  I have been through large layoffs on 4 separate occasions over the years.  Not much difference between any of them ...other than less and less individual communications with each of them.  When you make the "cut" list, you are now the enemy - and perceived to be someone that is an expense to eliminate and a risk to sue them.  

The legal people start dominating all the HR stuff in this kind of process.  They hate individual communication - it's too ripe for inconsistent/incorrect messages to different people.  And then possible lawsuits.  I have been through large layoffs on 4 separate occasions over the years.  Not much difference between any of them ...other than less and less individual communications with each of them.  When you make the "cut" list, you are now the enemy - and perceived to be someone that is an expense to eliminate and a risk to sue them.  
I've been through this too- but never for a firm as big, paranoid and previously litigiously compromised (a number of lawsuits against them).

I'm hearing from another friend there that his team that got laid off are going through the same thing- but haven't even gotten the email from HR (I was writing daily last week looking for an urgent response).

the COO's wrote at the beginning of my termination email- "I called you earlier to discuss this and next steps." was written in a larger font at the very beginning of the email just after "dear floppo"- as if it had been copy/clipped in after the fact and/or there was some legal reason for it to be highlighted.

but he never called. my phone shows absolutely no record of it (it shows all calls, including those that didn't leave messages), and I certainly would have picked up. and tbh- all I want(ed) to do is discuss next steps. I can't control their actions and they don't "owe" me a job (even though I was told I had a very good first review).  but to be treated in a civil, timely way DURING A ####### PANDEMIC... is all I was looking for. it's really unfathomable to me that can't give me or the other employees the courtesy of at least a "message received, let us get back to you" email. 

just now heard from HR.

my insurance ends on April 16- the same day that they're considering my termination. Termination, not furlough. I'm hearing the same about others (as well as lack of response).

COBRA is $3,413 a month. 

so- with my $1,100/week of unemployment (and I'm grateful for the extra $600) I can cover COBRA. and maybe have enough to feed my family. as long as I don't pay rent, utilities, phone, life insurance or anything else.

Not an expert on insurance but what I know about both, I cannot imagine a scenario where COBRA makes any sense now that ACA is an option. When my wife got laid off, I looked through my options and ACA was a no brainer. We are happy with it. 

Not an expert on insurance but what I know about both, I cannot imagine a scenario where COBRA makes any sense now that ACA is an option. When my wife got laid off, I looked through my options and ACA was a no brainer. We are happy with it. 
thanks.

I was an independent contractor prior to taking this job 6 months ago- we've been on the ACA since the start until my insurance kicked in here.

but ACA won't start until May 1. wife asked for special dispensation, which is being reviewed- we'll hear in two weeks. 

worst case scenario, we roll the dice without insurance until May 1 and then use the COBRA as needed in that time (we've got 60 days to sign up).

My workload is so heavy I had an issue finding time for either breakfast or lunch today. I threw out a feeler about a day off and my direct boss nearly suffered a stroke, so I quickly dropped that idea. I guess I'm good for now. I will say, seeing some good folks in this thread suffering with loss or real fear makes it easier to tolerate. But honestly, it is killing me. I'm constantly wore out.

Users who are viewing this thread