What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will THIS event be this year's "Talk of the Draft"? (1 Viewer)

Is this the big one?

• Yes

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 41 89.1%

• Total voters

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Will the Lions leave this year's draft with Tua as their Starting QB and Matt Stafford leave this year's draft as a New England Patriot?

First Take just put this out there now (maybe it's been discussed elsewhere, but I hadn't heard it), and having not thought about it, I think it makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't vote because it's impossible to say.  It would be an interesting scenario however.
and like I said, I haven't heard the scenario before this morning... i mean, it very well could be out there.

but when i heard it, it just kinda made sense... Lions need some lightening, and Stafford as good a soldier as he's been... he's not the lightening..

And Stafford would be a solid fit for Bill imo. Experienced, good arm, pretty accurate and intelligent. I don't think Bill is looking for a project QB, and they aren't going into the season w who they have either

Will the Lions leave this year's draft with Tua as their Starting QB and Matt Stafford leave this year's draft as a New England Patriot?

First Take just put this out there now (maybe it's been discussed elsewhere, but I hadn't heard it), and having not thought about it, I think it makes a lot of sense for both teams.
NE has $1 million it cap space. They would   have to free up space to take on Stafford. It doesn’t make sense for DET because they would take a $33 million cap hit. And NE really likes Stidham. So this one one seems like it’s a talk show discussion with little to no basis in reality. 

NE has $1 million it cap space. They would   have to free up space to take on Stafford. It doesn’t make sense for DET because they would take a $33 million cap hit. And NE really likes Stidham. So this one one seems like it’s a talk show discussion with little to no basis in reality. 
1m in cap space? jesus, how the hell did that happen? 

Again, i dont know any logistics, i just thought the idea sounded very realistic... And Stafford on NE would be great to see. He deserves it.

1m in cap space? jesus, how the hell did that happen? 

Again, i dont know any logistics, i just thought the idea sounded very realistic... And Stafford on NE would be great to see. He deserves it.
Almost $20 million in dead cap money for Brady and ABrown. 

Mentioned in 'How I  See the Top-Ten' thread by Snorkelson.  I thought it was a pretty interesting take at the time.

How I see the top ten of the draft going

On 4/3/2020 at 7:01 AM, Snorkelson said:

Lions will likely take okudah if he’s there at 5 or they might take him at 3. Hope they trade down. Honestly I wouldn’t be terribly upset if they took Tua and sat him a year either, or took him because it gives them more leverage if Miami thinks they can take him at 5. Stafford has had a long career already, has had hits/injuries he’s played thru stack up, wife had cancer, now with the current CV19 situation, I think he could hang it up at a moments notice and we’re left hanging like Barry/Calvin or even like when we drafted Ebron over Donald and then lost suh/fairley. With this season increasingly in doubt it makes even more sense.  

Looking at it from a Lion's perspective both the Coach and GM are on very thin ice and this would be a move for the future and they are one bad year from not having a future...whatever they do my guess it will be with a very big eye towards 2020 since it is about job survival and this type of move probably would not accomplish it.

would you like the move?
I like Stafford more than most, and honestly torn on how I feel about Tua. Bottom-line it is a challenge to be a Lion's fan. Stafford is 32 and the extent of his back injury in unknown. Do I think the Lion's will win a Super Bowl if Stafford remains healthy for the next few years? No, I do not. So from a fan's angle of "something new at least provides some excitement" I wouldn't mind it if they draft Tua at 3. If I were the GM it is not what I would do. But if I were the GM we wouldn't have 80% of the players we have on the team now. 

Summary

As a FAN: Sure, why the h### not....who cares....how can this get worse....it will provide at least a slight moment of hope and excitement.

As a GM: Pass, not convinced he is worth the pick and have concerns over injuries. 

part of this discussion on first take, was this:

“He throws better than Aaron Rodgers & Dan Marino. Whoever gets him wins the draft because you are getting a HOF player.” - Trent Dilfer on Tagovailoa .

Detroit would get younger and a rookie contract for 5 years plus if they dealt Stafford they'd get at least a 1st, possibly more.

The problem(s): 

1. Injury history
  2. Covid 19 making it impossible to do medical update/re-check so a lot of uncertainty 
  3. Glut of available veteran QBs 
  4. Last two years a lot of rookie QBs came into league filling needs
I don't think we've ever seen a QB market like this in a long time.  Its possible both Tau and Herbert aren't in as much demand as many assume.  It would not shock me if one slid a bit.

“He throws better than Aaron Rodgers & Dan Marino. Whoever gets him wins the draft because you are getting a HOF player.” - Trent Dilfer on Tagovailoa .
I don’t remember where I saw it, but Tua was said to have failed physicals for two teams with Top 10 picks. Those doctors apparently felt he had a multitude of injuries that haven’t fully healed and essentially have labeled him an injury waiting to happen. He might be a HOF talent and a Ferrari, but what good is he if he is always in the shop? He is far from a sure thing. 

Detroit would get younger and a rookie contract for 5 years plus if they dealt Stafford they'd get at least a 1st, possibly more.
Stafford is probably worth that but what teams would trade a first for him? I don't see a lot of open slots out there for a starting QB other than SD and they aren't going to trade the 1.06 and he's not a big enough name for them to be intrigued by him.

Dilfer is saying he throws better than two of the greatest QB's ever to play the game? I guess before I slam his statement into the ground I would need to know what he means. More accurate?...Velocity?

I don’t remember where I saw it, but Tua was said to have failed physicals for two teams with Top 10 picks. Those doctors apparently felt he had a multitude of injuries that haven’t fully healed and essentially have labeled him an injury waiting to happen. He might be a HOF talent and a Ferrari, but what good is he if he is always in the shop? He is far from a sure thing. 
I'm not saying Tua is healthy but I don't believe any of these rumors coming from unnamed GMs this time of year. It's just as likely it was Miami or SD that started the rumor so he would drop to them.

Some important context that Dilfer left out (or maybe just this quote left it out and he was transparent about it on air) is that he's been training Tua all offseason. So you could argue he's got insight or that he's biased and pimping his own work.

I'm not saying Tua is healthy but I don't believe any of these rumors coming from unnamed GMs this time of year. It's just as likely it was Miami or SD that started the rumor so he would drop to them.
Certainly any information being floated could be misinformation or propaganda, but it doesn’t change that Tua has already had multiple injuries and has missed a fair amount of time. That won’t change no matter what his X-rays or MRIs show. I have nothing to hang my hat on, but to me if a guy got hurt multiple times in college, I don’t thing it would be unreasonable to worry if he can stay healthy as a pro. 

Stafford is probably worth that but what teams would trade a first for him? I don't see a lot of open slots out there for a starting QB other than SD and they aren't going to trade the 1.06 and he's not a big enough name for them to be intrigued by him.
Miami has three-1st round picks and have a need.  If Detroit snagged Tau they 'might' feel the value is not their on Herbert especially if they could take a blue-chip OLT, S/LB hybrid, DT at pick #5 but also hold the #18 and #26 picks in the 1st round.

Jacksonville has two-1st round picks.  I have heard doubts everywhere about Minshew as the long-term solution.  They hold the #9 and #20 picks.  

OAK/LV Raiders signed Marcus Marriota and their have been 'rumors' about Carr being on the hot-seat.   They hold two 1st-round picks, #12 and #19.

A team 'surprise' team may be lurking like PIT or TEN or???

I think the big event is gonna be when Hebert gets drafted ahead of Tua.

I think the Jordan Love hype is just that.  Hype.  2nd rounder

Anarchy99 said:
And, from the other side... Do Quinn, Patricia have the job stability to throw away a year by drafting a rookie QB that will almost certainly have to sit out a while? I'd say no. Pretty sure Mrs. Ford made remarks at the end of last season that she wanted to see improvement this year.

Bracie Smathers said:
Miami has three-1st round picks and have a need.  If Detroit snagged Tau they 'might' feel the value is not their on Herbert especially if they could take a blue-chip OLT, S/LB hybrid, DT at pick #5 but also hold the #18 and #26 picks in the 1st round.

Jacksonville has two-1st round picks.  I have heard doubts everywhere about Minshew as the long-term solution.  They hold the #9 and #20 picks.  

OAK/LV Raiders signed Marcus Marriota and their have been 'rumors' about Carr being on the hot-seat.   They hold two 1st-round picks, #12 and #19.

It's possible of course but I think Miami is in a rebuild so trading a first round pick for one of he higher paid QBs in the league seems implausible.

I don't see any of those other spots moving on from what they already have, especially if they have to trade a first for a (very) good but not great QB either - but who knows?

Cowherd currently talking Lions taking Tua on air. 

Basically, worth the risk to take him at 3, not worth the risk to give up picks to move up to 3 to take him (due to uncertainties)

Cowherd currently talking Lions taking Tua on air. 

Basically, worth the risk to take him at 3, not worth the risk to give up picks to move up to 3 to take him (due to uncertainties)
Cowherd is so clueless though. I recently heard him rant about how basketball players like Lebron don’t understand what it’s like to be an NFL athlete and they don’t know the physical toll the NFL takes. I swear he’s convinced he played TE for the Raiders for a decade. 

It's possible of course but I think Miami is in a rebuild so trading a first round pick for one of he higher paid QBs in the league seems implausible.

I don't see any of those other spots moving on from what they already have, especially if they have to trade a first for a (very) good but not great QB either - but who knows?
Miami has 14 picks in this draft, 5 in the top 56 selections.  If they draft Tau that pick doesn't only come with typical rookie-risk you have to factor injury-risk as well.

I just don't buy Garner Minshew and I have no idea what Gruden thinks of Carr but he doesn't seem like his sort of guy.  Big Ben has mentioned retirement before missing a season and even though the reports are great Luck pulled a 'shocker' last TC before the whole Covid19 thing.  He's got enough money so what does a two-time SB winning QB have to prove especially with the Covid threat likely to be looming.

I actually love Jeff Okudah and think he's a no-brainer but I also felt the reasoning for taking Tau to be interesting even though I'm not buying.

I just really wish the sports media talking heads had at least a cursory knowledge of A) the salary cap and B) how trades work. 

According to Spotrac, NE has $2.1 million in cap space. NFLPA says $1 million. Overthecap says $900K. Detroit would take on an immediate $32 million cap hit by trading Stafford. It's not something they "might have to take" or something they "could defer" or "get creative" with. It's just a fact of life. They currently have $29 million in cap space, so without making other moves they couldn't do it. Because Stafford previously converted some salary and roster bonuses into signing bonus money, he is only due $8.3 million this year (but upped what his dead cap number would be in doing so).

NE would have to be able to absorb that $8.3 million into their salary cap immediately if they traded for him (meaning they couldn't make that trade without making other roster moves first, shedding salary for other players, or trading back at least $7 million-ish in contracts to DET for this year without creating even more dead cap money). The easiest way for NE to free up cap space would be to trade G Joe Thuney ($14.7 million) or move on from WR Mohamed Sanu ($6.5 million). But that would A) create other holes on the NE roster that would need to be filled, B) cost them multiple high level draft picks to acquire Stafford, C) leave them no high picks left to improve their roster, and D) still leave them with no cap room to sign any other players.

If Stafford were moved and with his dead salary cap hit being dumped on DET, he would be signed for 2 additional years and NE would have him at $20 million and $23 million. Again, NE likes Stidham. Who knows if they would rather have Stafford coming off an injury and having to give up players and picks for the rights to Stafford for 3 years and $51 million. Or over the same 3 years, they could roll with Stidham for A TOTAL of $2.5 million. Which one sounds more like BB?????

The other connect the dots story would be that NE would trade for DET's first round pick, mortgaging the farm to jump in front of other teams to take Tua. That one makes more sense from a salary cap perspective, but would not make much sense to bring in a high profile, injury prone rookie QB without making any attempt to improve the team's offensive weapons.

IMO, it's looking more and more likely that NE rolls with Stidham for a bargain basement contract, keeps most of their 12 picks this year and a projected 13 picks next year, brings back a dozen guys that were on IR, plays a handful of draft picks from last year that they put in mothballs, keeps their stockpile of $105 million in cap space for 2021, and gets guys some experience this year to make some serious improvements for 2021. Between all those picks, the guys they drafted last year, and the guys on IR, that adds up to 40+ players (in addition to that pile of salary cap money).

Bottom line, New England could look like a COMPLETELY different team in 2021. I am not sure they want to invest heavily in Matthew Stafford (and deal with all the gyrations and machinations to be able to acquire him), as that seems like a band aid to what will be a major retooling of their roster in the next 12-15 months..

Bracie Smathers said:

To move up to #2 or 3, MIA would have to give up #5 and 26.  This could happen if they like one of the QBs.  No indication yet that they do.  Only small talk has been of Hebert.

To move up to #2 - 4 JAX would have to give up #9, 20 and another pick.

To move up to #2-4 LAC would have to give up #6 plus maybe next years #1.

LV isn't gonna trade up for a QB.  Carr is statistically above average and Mariotta is a great backup.  If they move up it's for something else.

TEN just signed a QB for a lot of $s and they don't have the picks to make it happen.  They aren't trading up into the top 6

PIT doesn't have the picks to trade up that high.

NE would have to mortgage their next 3 drafts to move up that high.  They have very few tradable picks this year.  I'm sure Bill thinks he can win with the laundry boy at QB

Someone is gonna leap frog MIA to get "their guy" unless MIA is willing to make the same move.  The likely teams are LAC and JAX.  Both need long term QB solutions.  Both have the picks to do it.  And to me LAC is the most likely because they are a pretty good team.  They could easily be picking # 15 or later next year, so this is the year for them to draft a QB.  JAX could be picking #1 next year and Trevor Lawrence is there.  LAC is not likley to have that option.

Agreed, and there's never even a mention of WHEN he failed these physicals. He's been in a rehab situation so that is critical information.

The source of that is also Lombardi and I've never been a huge fan.

And, from the other side... Do Quinn, Patricia have the job stability to throw away a year by drafting a rookie QB that will almost certainly have to sit out a while? I'd say no. Pretty sure Mrs. Ford made remarks at the end of last season that she wanted to see improvement this year.
Completely agree. I can see the current regime making big moves in the draft but it would probably to make them better NOW instead of getting a younger  quarterback etc. If they draft Tua it's because Stafford(and his back) are completely cooked and might not pass a physical in a trade. People forget just how good Stafford was playing before the injury.

Only way Lions would take Tua and deal Stafford would be if Patricia and Quinn thought it was their best chance to save their jobs for 2021 and they could sell Martha on the plan of rebuilding so they could get her to essentially guarantee they return in 2021. I don't see it.

As for Tua my prediction is I don't think anyone is going to trade up for him,  I believe Miami will pick Herbert and Tua will go to Chargers at 6.

Would love to see tua in Detroit.  Just don't see the pats trading for Stafford.

I think the big event is gonna be when Hebert gets drafted ahead of Tua.

I think the Jordan Love hype is just that.  Hype.  2nd rounder
First is plausible, if a team is concerned about the risk and needs a rook to start immediately.

2nd won't happen.  At the worst, one of the early 2nds trades up to a late first to get the 5th year. 

1. While the front office is on the hot seat, I think the current crisis buys an extra year. If the season is pushed back or even cancelled it makes a lot of sense for the lions to take a qb even for this GM.

2. If teams don’t like what they hear about Tua, it makes the pick worth even more imo. Herbert will be the guy everyone wants if Tua is failing physicals or is too risky. 
3. NE is having a reset year to get control of their cap situation. While they will still likely be competitive in the AFC east, they aren’t the usual lock for the division or even a playoff spot and certainly won’t be super bowl favorites. Wonder how a fan base so used to perennial success will feel about potentially struggling. 
4. Cap wise it’s virtually impossible for Detroit to trade Stafford (especially to NE). As I was quoted above, I could imagine him walking away from the game for his health/family/priorities at any time. 

To move up to #2 or 3, MIA would have to give up #5 and 26.  This could happen if they like one of the QBs.  No indication yet that they do.  Only small talk has been of Hebert.

To move up to #2 - 4 JAX would have to give up #9, 20 and another pick.

To move up to #2-4 LAC would have to give up #6 plus maybe next years #1.

LV isn't gonna trade up for a QB.  Carr is statistically above average and Mariotta is a great backup.  If they move up it's for something else.

TEN just signed a QB for a lot of $s and they don't have the picks to make it happen.  They aren't trading up into the top 6

PIT doesn't have the picks to trade up that high.

NE would have to mortgage their next 3 drafts to move up that high.  They have very few tradable picks this year.  I'm sure Bill thinks he can win with the laundry boy at QB

Someone is gonna leap frog MIA to get "their guy" unless MIA is willing to make the same move.  The likely teams are LAC and JAX.  Both need long term QB solutions.  Both have the picks to do it.  And to me LAC is the most likely because they are a pretty good team.  They could easily be picking # 15 or later next year, so this is the year for them to draft a QB.  JAX could be picking #1 next year and Trevor Lawrence is there.  LAC is not likley to have that option.
I think you mistook what I was responding to which was if DETROIT took Tau at #3 and then fielded offers for their current starting quarterback Matt Stafford.

I was asked/told that no one really had a 'mid-to-late' 1st round pick that it would take to acquire Stafford and was pointing out teams who had multiple 1st round picks who could be interested if Detroit pulled a shocker and took Tau.

I was not trying to figure out who could move up to the #2 pick.  I think it would be foolish/insane for Washington to trade away the chance to take Chase Young and many have speculated that Detroit would not take Tau but would trade-down.  Snorkleson put out that Detroit 'could' take Tau and I thought it an interesting take.  I guess ESPN picked that up yesterday and was speculating on Detroit taking Tau so that is why it got kicked around in this thread.

1. While the front office is on the hot seat, I think the current crisis buys an extra year. If the season is pushed back or even cancelled it makes a lot of sense for the lions to take a qb even for this GM.

2. If teams don’t like what they hear about Tua, it makes the pick worth even more imo. Herbert will be the guy everyone wants if Tua is failing physicals or is too risky. 
3. NE is having a reset year to get control of their cap situation. While they will still likely be competitive in the AFC east, they aren’t the usual lock for the division or even a playoff spot and certainly won’t be super bowl favorites. Wonder how a fan base so used to perennial success will feel about potentially struggling. 
4. Cap wise it’s virtually impossible for Detroit to trade Stafford (especially to NE). As I was quoted above, I could imagine him walking away from the game for his health/family/priorities at any time. 

As for #3...any fans 45 and over know very well what it will be like to struggle since they were once about as bad a franchise as there was in all of pro sports...overall fan-wise I think the real fans will be totally fine...they understand how unrealistic the past 20 years have been and also have faith that as long as BB is there they will reboot this very quickly (and I do think there is some excitement to see this rebuild)..the bandwagon crew (known locally as the pink hats) will shed their tears because they only know TB12 and winning and some of the press will look to take shots at BB if they take a likely step backwards this year because that is what happens with the media around here but that is just part of the market we are in, even if you are perfect they will criticize you...all four sports teams are very much intertwined in Boston and it is the Red Sox that are getting kicked around as their ownership is unlikable due to their corporate BS and ownership of a newspaper that many dislike immensely so they are the team that has the target on their back...the Bruins and Celtics are both in great spots so the city still has championship hopes with those two teams (B's far more) so right now the Pats are in a very good place to start this next chapter...the fact this city has seen so many championships the past 20 years has definitely taken the edge of of many fans...before this run there was a lot of venom with anything negative but that just isn't the case anymore.

As for #3...any fans 45 and over know very well what it will be like to struggle since they were once about as bad a franchise as there was in all of pro sports...overall fan-wise I think the real fans will be totally fine...they understand how unrealistic the past 20 years have been and also have faith that as long as BB is there they will reboot this very quickly (and I do think there is some excitement to see this rebuild)..the bandwagon crew (known locally as the pink hats) will shed their tears because they only know TB12 and winning and some of the press will look to take shots at BB if they take a likely step backwards this year because that is what happens with the media around here but that is just part of the market we are in, even if you are perfect they will criticize you...all four sports teams are very much intertwined in Boston and it is the Red Sox that are getting kicked around as their ownership is unlikable due to their corporate BS and ownership of a newspaper that many dislike immensely so they are the team that has the target on their back...the Bruins and Celtics are both in great spots so the city still has championship hopes with those two teams (B's far more) so right now the Pats are in a very good place to start this next chapter...the fact this city has seen so many championships the past 20 years has definitely taken the edge of of many fans...before this run there was a lot of venom with anything negative but that just isn't the case anymore.
Lol Lions fans expect a super bowl every offseason despite the last 20+ years of failures. Pistons fans have some success to look back on, Tigers fans are waiting on that elusive title (I remember ‘84, i was 5 though.) Wings fans are getting their first taste of a lengthy struggle back in the salary cap era. 

Stafford is absolute class.

I think the Detroit front office already knows his intentions... He wont leave that city out to dry. If he's walking away, they know. If he plans on staying on, they know.

Maybe no one will know this until the draft. If the pick is Tua, Id expect a Stafford retirement presser shortly thereafter (even if just a video release)

I think the Detroit front office already knows his intentions... He wont leave that city out to dry. If he's walking away, they know. If he plans on staying on, they know.

Maybe no one will know this until the draft. If the pick is Tua, Id expect a Stafford retirement presser shortly thereafter (even if just a video release)
If he were retiring I think it would be announced. If the season is shortened or cancelled you never know what might happen a year from now, and he’s a year older, and also a year healthier. He’s the Alex smith to whatever rookie they might bring in, if that were to happen. 

Why would you expect Stanford to retire? He’s signed for 3 more years and would have to give back tens of millions of dollars. Is there anything to suggest his injury was career ending? I don’t see anything to suggest he can’t play. 

Having a daily thread about something First Take talked about could certainly be good for comedy, if nothing else. :P

Why would you expect Stanford to retire? He’s signed for 3 more years and would have to give back tens of millions of dollars. Is there anything to suggest his injury was career ending? I don’t see anything to suggest he can’t play. 
Stafford is a lot like Luck for me in terms of intelligence and wit. 

If he thinks one more injury wheelchairs him, he'll bail imo

Don't forget that they both have made a ton of money...makes a decision like that much easier.

IMO, if he were planning on retiring he would have done so before the new NFL season rolled over. It would have allowed DET to consider free agents and allow them notice to work on a pending salary cap mess. He was having one of his best seasons last year and I haven’t seen a peep about him hanging up his cleats. The chance is greater than zero, but he is still signed for 3 years for $51 million and could be forced to repay $30+ million. I am not sure Stafford is going to walk away from $80 million. 

Users who are viewing this thread