What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2020 NFL Draft Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Gettleman has never traded down.

This is his first try at tempting another team to trade up.

Effective, no?
I dunno, I wasn't much of a fan of a Jones fan when he came out. It wouldn't really surprise me much if a GM thought Herbert >>>> Jones. And if you did feel that way wouldn't you just deal Jones and replace him with the guy you believe is a much better QB?

Seems like a lot of people in the draft-nick community SAY that they believe in analytics but when the analytic guys tell them that the absolute most important thing you can do in team building is find a pro-bowl QB on a rookie contract for several years they roll their eyes and look for the "team needs" list. Will Jones ever be a pro-bowl level QB or is he more of an Andy Dalton type QB that you are forced to make a tough decision at the end of his rookie deal? Do we really know Haskins is going to be a pro-bowl QB? I am fairly confident Tua has a better chance of making the pro-bowl than either of them and Herbert has been projected to be a top 3 pick for YEARS. I don't always agree with Mel Kiper but he seems completely mystified why some people think Herbert is being projected as going early as a top 5 pick and I have to agree with him. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me that Herbert is also better than either Jones or Haskins. Even with DET, we don't really have any idea what Staffords medicals actually look like. He's "medically cleared" but so was Andrew Luck. At least Stafford has played at a pro-bowl level though so if he is healthy and happy(there were rumors just a couple of months ago he wanted out of DET) then it seems unlikely they replace a known commodity. When it comes to QB's teams do unexpected things. I don't think many people expected KC to trade up for Mahomes after they gave Alex Smith a big extension. We haven't seen either Jones or Haskins play as well as Alex Smith was playing at that time. Passing on someone that you truly believe is a franchise QB because you already have "a guy" to start seems silly to me.

If the analytics guys say that the single biggest advantage you can have is a pro-bowl QB on a rookie contract then I think it would be crazy if there weren't two QB's taken in the top 3 picks and three QB's taken in the top 5. Tua and Herbert aren't late risers, people have been talking about them for years. Don't get me wrong, I really like guys Okudah and SImmons. But how often do a CB or a 3-down LB lead your team to a SB? Or an OT or a DE for that matter? Chris Jones had a HUGE impact for KC last year, but does anyone honestly believe they win the SB last year if KC didn't go get Mahomes despite the fact they had just paid Alex Smith?

I dunno, I wasn't much of a fan of a Jones fan when he came out. It wouldn't really surprise me much if a GM thought Herbert >>>> Jones. And if you did feel that way wouldn't you just deal Jones and replace him with the guy you believe is a much better QB?

Seems like a lot of people in the draft-nick community SAY that they believe in analytics but when the analytic guys tell them that the absolute most important thing you can do in team building is find a pro-bowl QB on a rookie contract for several years they roll their eyes and look for the "team needs" list. Will Jones ever be a pro-bowl level QB or is he more of an Andy Dalton type QB that you are forced to make a tough decision at the end of his rookie deal? Do we really know Haskins is going to be a pro-bowl QB? I am fairly confident Tua has a better chance of making the pro-bowl than either of them and Herbert has been projected to be a top 3 pick for YEARS. I don't always agree with Mel Kiper but he seems completely mystified why some people think Herbert is being projected as going early as a top 5 pick and I have to agree with him. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me that Herbert is also better than either Jones or Haskins. Even with DET, we don't really have any idea what Staffords medicals actually look like. He's "medically cleared" but so was Andrew Luck. At least Stafford has played at a pro-bowl level though so if he is healthy and happy(there were rumors just a couple of months ago he wanted out of DET) then it seems unlikely they replace a known commodity. When it comes to QB's teams do unexpected things. I don't think many people expected KC to trade up for Mahomes after they gave Alex Smith a big extension. We haven't seen either Jones or Haskins play as well as Alex Smith was playing at that time. Passing on someone that you truly believe is a franchise QB because you already have "a guy" to start seems silly to me.

If the analytics guys say that the single biggest advantage you can have is a pro-bowl QB on a rookie contract then I think it would be crazy if there weren't two QB's taken in the top 3 picks and three QB's taken in the top 5. Tua and Herbert aren't late risers, people have been talking about them for years. Don't get me wrong, I really like guys Okudah and SImmons. But how often do a CB or a 3-down LB lead your team to a SB? Or an OT or a DE for that matter? Chris Jones had a HUGE impact for KC last year, but does anyone honestly believe they win the SB last year if KC didn't go get Mahomes despite the fact they had just paid Alex Smith?
I think you have the timeline on Alex Smith’s contract wrong. When Mahomes was drafted, Smith had two years left on the contract he had signed in 2014. He was very much a known quantity at that point — not good enough to get the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. To people around KC, the decision to get a new QB wasn’t surprising at all.

I think you have the timeline on Alex Smith’s contract wrong. When Mahomes was drafted, Smith had two years left on the contract he had signed in 2014. He was very much a known quantity at that point — not good enough to get the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. To people around KC, the decision to get a new QB wasn’t surprising at all.
I don't think many people expected KC to trade up for a QB at that time. Alex Smith had just led KC to a 12-4 season.

I don't think many people expected KC to trade up for a QB at that time. Alex Smith had just led KC to a 12-4 season.
It was a surprise insofar as every huge draft trade is a surprise, but the writing was on the wall. Smith was a very successful regular-season QB who could never get the job done in the playoffs. The Chiefs were one piece away, and publicly did a lot of research on that QB class. Just not a great comparison to the situations in WAS/NYG/DET right now.

Just not a great comparison to the situations in WAS/NYG/DET right now.
Maybe. But I was making the overarching point that just because you have a QB, maybe even a good QB, it doesn't preclude you from falling in love with a QB or at least his potential and upgrading on the QB that you already have. IMO the KC situation demonstrates that pretty well. If anything it's an even better example because they were 12-4 SB contender WITH Smith. Some people are acting like Haskins/Jones on 3 win teams make it so WAS/NYG can't possibly go QB with their pick. I just don't think that's the case at all. If I believed Tua was healthy I wouldn't hesitate to take him if I was WAS and honestly, I still have my doubts about Jones so I wouldn't hesitate to take Herbert if I was truly in love with him as a prospect. Maybe this is all a smokescreen as so many others suggest but it wouldn't be a complete surprise to me if Herbert did get drafted by the Giants and won twice as many games as Jones won last season.

Who is the team most likely to trade in to the end of the first round to grab a QB?  If the Bears are ready to move on, I hope its them

Who is the team most likely to trade in to the end of the first round to grab a QB?  If the Bears are ready to move on, I hope its them
The Bears just signed Foles.  I doubt they try to develop a 1st round QB as the 3rd QB.  I wouldn't say it would be them.  Someone like Indy or Tampa could make a ton of sense if its a very developmental qb.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Cardinals are "expressing interest" in trading down from the No. 8 overall pick.

Following their pick at No. 8 overall, the Cardinals currently don't have another selection until No. 72 on Day 2 — No. 40 overall was sent to Houston in the deal for DeAndre Hopkins. That leaves GM Steve Keim with two primary options, one being to simply trade back and acquire more picks. This isn't too shocking since it's that time of the year where every front office exec is more than willing to move up or down for the right offer, but it does open the door for any team looking to jump the expected receiver run from picks 9-15. Assuming they stand pat, the Cardinals are expected to land either a franchise left tackle or stud interior pass-rusher on Day 1 of Thursday's draft.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 22, 2020, 8:12 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers are among the teams "open to sliding back a few spots."

Let's be honest: every team is open to sliding back a few spots for the right price. If the Falcons are truly looking to vault into the top-10 to nab a cornerback (as they've been rumored to be vying for of late), there will be no shortage of suitors willing to rob them just to slide back to No. 16 overall. The Cardinals, Lions, and Jaguars are also on record and willing to jostle their current draft positions.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 22, 2020, 8:33 AM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. tags the Las Vegas Raiders as a team which could surprise in taking a quarterback in Round 1.

"On the outside, they appear set with Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota, who was signed this offseason. But Jon Gruden and Mike Mayock can easily move on from them in 2021," Kiper writes, noting that the Raiders have the luxury of two first-round picks (Nos. 12 and 19), which affords them a little luxury to play around at signal-caller should they so choose. Kiper sees Utah State QB Jordan Love as the target, here, should Las Vegas opt to move in that direction. This is not the first time this evaluating season the prospect of a Love-Raiders hook-up has been floated. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller earlier this spring likewise pointed this out as a possibility. 

SOURCE: ESPN Plus

Apr 22, 2020, 12:53 PM ET

I've been seeing/reading a lot of chatter that a lot of picks could be traded for vets, due to the lack of a real offseason. I wonder how likely that is, though the reasoning makes some sense. I'm not expecting that to be the case for round 1, but rounds 3+, I could really see it.

Fantasy wise, both Denver and SF have a gluttony of RB's. While people point to Freeman and Coleman as likely trade candidates, I wonder if Lindsay and Breida would make more sense, as higher returns on better contracts. Maybe a team prefers a guy like those, over drafting a Cam Akers, Zack Moss, or AJ Dillon in round 3+.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Dolphins are gauging the price to trade up for the No. 3 overall pick for an offensive tackle.

Trading up to the No. 3 overall pick entails swapping with the Lions, who are reportedly "high" on Auburn DT Derrick Brown. Having said that, jostling to nab an offensive tackle makes little sense for the Dolphins, who hold three picks (No. 5, No. 18, No. 26) in the first round. Assuming Giants GM Dave Gettleman has his sights set on one player in particular, Rapsheet's scenario (if true) means the Dolphins covet that one individual even more. Washington is also still "listening" to offers for both Trent Williams and the No. 2 overall pick, and the Giants have made it known they wouldn't mind dropping back to collect more picks, as well. Buckle up.

RELATED: 

Tristan Wirfs

, Jedrick Wills

, Andrew Thomas

, Detroit Lions

, New York Giants

, Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 22, 2020, 1:55 PM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. predicts that six wide receivers will be drafted on Day 1.

An incredibly frisky number from evaluating vet Kiper, here. Four wideouts -- CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs and Justin Jefferson -- look to be close to sure things for Day 1, but Kiper throws in two additional beyond the general consensus in Tee Higgins and Brandon Aiyuk. And he even floats the possibility that Michael Pittman, Jalen Reagor or Denzel Mims could join the Round 1 party. Like we said, frisky. An interesting omission in this list would be Colorado star Laviska Shenault. Shenault is uber-talented but comes with health concerns.

Apr 22, 2020, 2:36 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Dolphins are gauging the price to trade up for the No. 3 overall pick for an offensive tackle.
Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Sources: The #Dolphins have called the teams in front of them for a possible trade up from No. 5 and are gauging the price to come up to No. 3 to potentially take an offensive tackle. We could see a run on tackles in the Top 10 like never before.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. predicts that a running back will be selected on Day 1.

This is far from a guarantee -- we've actually probably seen more Day 1 mocks than not which forgo running back altogether -- but Kiper is taking a shot on D'Andre Swift as a late selection for Thursday. Writes the venerable analyst, "There just aren't many teams that want to spend that kind of capital (early) on a running back." He notes that we should keep an eye out for a squad trading back into Round 1 as the evening is drawing to a close. 

Apr 22, 2020, 4:30 PM ET

Gil Brandt on twitter:

Veteran player most likely to be traded at some point before or during the draft: Leonard Fournette

Sleeper: Chris Jones
This wouldn't surprise me given KC's cap problems -- the total silence w/r/t his contract situation has been odd -- but it would undoubtedly leave a massive hole in their front 7. He's not someone you can replace easily, and that defense already has some issues. 

A couple days ago, Peter King reported that the Chiefs are interested in making a play for Henry Ruggs. Is this how they do it?

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports the Falcons have made calls to get to No. 2 overall for Chase Young.

It's been reported a million times that the Falcons are expected to be aggressive with a trade up this draft, but moving from No. 16 to No. 2 would be unbelievable, especially for a defensive player. It's highly unlikely that Atlanta could pull this off because Washington seems set on drafting the Ohio State star. It's more likely that Atlanta targets a corner (Jeffrey Okudah or C.J. Henderson) or defensive lineman (Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw) on Thursday night. Of course, the Falcons aren't one player away from a Super Bowl, so risking limited assets would be a major gamble for GM Thomas Dimitroff.

RELATED: 

Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Apr 22, 2020, 8:53 PM ET

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports the Falcons have made calls to get to No. 2 overall for Chase Young.
Jay Glazer@JayGlazer

Falcons been aggressive this week in calling teams high up, including trying to get all the way to #2 for Chase Young. WASH hasn’t seemed to entertain offers to get out

@NFLonFOX

------------------------------------

Not seeing any way that an NFL GM trades away the chance to take DE Chase Young.  

I hope they don't hit us over the head with the fund raising efforts.  I get it, and it's awesome that they are doing a good thing,  but I will be honest that I was really looking forward to an escape from everything. 

Jay Glazer@JayGlazer

Falcons been aggressive this week in calling teams high up, including trying to get all the way to #2 for Chase Young. WASH hasn’t seemed to entertain offers to get out

@NFLonFOX

Not seeing any way that an NFL GM trades away the chance to take DE Chase Young.  
I think it would depend on the package. Keep in mind WAS has spent a 1st round draft choice on DL for the past three years in a row and recently signed Ionnidis to a significant extension. After all that investment in the DL they were still a 3-win team. It's starting to remind me of the situation with the Jets when they took DL year after year after year and it still never really turned that franchise around(and Q.Williams is the only one still on the roster). They could take an edge defender to groom to replace Kerrigan next year.... but that WAS has sooooo many needs across its entire roster. They are desperate for a starting LT willing to play for the team, a TE that should be on an NFL roster, a honest to goodness CB#1 on the outside, a starting MLB(one of the most important positions in a Rivera defense) that is under the age of 37, a deep S that can actually cover to compliment Landon Collins weaknesses, the list goes on and on and on. All of this and Haskins was drafted by the previous(less than successful) regime and Rivera was so excited to work with him that he almost immediately traded for his previous backup in CAR. WAS just has a TON of money and draft capital wrapped up into that DL and have a coaching staff that will be around long enough to build out the rest of the team.

Just as a starting point if you look at the ATL trade where they moved way up for Julio they got to pick #6 by giving up #27, #59, #124 and a future 1st and 4th rounder. That was within ~600 worth of draft capital(according to the trade chart) that year and a future 1st and 4th for the #6 pick. If ATL moved up to #2 and gave up #16, #47, #78 that would be within ~1000 on the trade chart so maybe a 2021 1st and 3rd round picks? Seems like that would give ATL the pass rusher to make another run while Ryan/Julio are still performing before their inevitable drop-off and gives the new WAS regime a chance to rebuild what has become a complete and utter mess of a team in WAS. The extra 2021 first gives them extra ammunition to make a move at QB next year if Haskins ends up not working out(because if that's the case then the WAS pick will be very high itself). Makes sense on both sides to me. Chase Young seems like a can't miss prospect at DE/Edge... but so were Fowler(3), Thomas(3), Clowney(1), Jordan(3), Ansah(5), Tyson Jackson(3), Mario Williams(1), Chris Long(2), Gaines Adams(4), Justin Smith(4), Courtney Brown(1). I'm not saying all those guys were complete busts but I don't think any of them had the impact that every expert in the NFL thought they would. If WAS was a good team, yeah don't pass on a stud player. But WAS is a very, very bad TEAM. They need everything. Probably the one position they need to invest in least is DL and the position they need to invest in most is...... EVERYTHING ELSE. But most importantly they have a new staff in place to be patient with those picks to grow a roster over the next two years. The clock for ATL(and Dan Quinn) is ticking down.

WASH hasn’t seemed to entertain offers to get out

@NFLonFOX

I think it would depend on the package.
Ron Rivera is the new HC.  Reports are Washington not entertaining offers.

Chase is a rare prospect. 

ESPN has been airing re-runs of past drafts and its a horror show of failed picks.  

Their is a reason Dimitrof is 'attempting' to move-up and a reason why Rivera isn't picking up the phone.

Gil Brandt on twitter:

This wouldn't surprise me given KC's cap problems -- the total silence w/r/t his contract situation has been odd -- but it would undoubtedly leave a massive hole in their front 7. He's not someone you can replace easily, and that defense already has some issues. 

A couple days ago, Peter King reported that the Chiefs are interested in making a play for Henry Ruggs. Is this how they do it?
Daniel Jeremiah alluded to a potential Jones trade in his final mock draft tonight. Interesting that all this is coming out 24 hours before the draft.  :oldunsure:

Peter Schrager@PSchrags

5 Quick Notes from last 24 hours of working the phones...

1.  Wills/Wirfs/Thomas all expected to go Top 10 in no particular order. Sounds like Becton--the Combine superstar-- is expected to be the 4th OT off the board.

2. Tua's a wildcard. If Miami and Los Angeles pass in Top 10, which they very well might, it could be a longer evening than anyone expected.

3. The CB class is fascinating. It's Okudah, Henderson, a gap--and then a long list of guys who all could go in the first round. Jaylon Johnson, A.J. Terrell, Kristian Fulton, Noah Igbinoghene, Trevon Diggs all getting first round consideration.

4. Both DeAndre Swift and Clyde Edwards-Helaire could go in the first round. I'd say, more likely, the rest of the running back crop at the top will go in second and third round, based on conversations around the league.

5. Talking to teams around the league, Isaiah Simmons is expected to go in the 7 - 12 range of this Draft. I'd be surprised if he fell out of the Top 10.

Chase is a rare prospect. 
Wasn't Mario Williams a "rare prospect"? Clowney? I mean they was fine. If I were in the Redskins situation(years away from the playoffs) and could have FIVE prospects on day1 and day2 of the NFL draft I'd take it is all I am saying.

Let's say they take Chase as their FOURTH DL 1st round draft choice in FOUR years. And he pulls his hamstring. I'm just saying you are not only mitigating "bust" risk across several draft picks but injury risk as well. 

Daniel Jeremiah alluded to a potential Jones trade in his final mock draft tonight. Interesting that all this is coming out 24 hours before the draft.  :oldunsure:
Evan Silva also has the Chiefs trading Jones and selecting Blacklock in his latest mock. Whole lotta smoke tonight.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the talk of Tua falling.  He was the number one with a bullet coming into the season.  Played like it until he got hurt.  Huge injury, but by all accounts he's healthy and there's no increased chance of reinjury in the same place.

If you're a team that thinks his medicals check out how is he not the top qb still on your board?  Especially knowing who Cin is taking.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the talk of Tua falling.  He was the number one with a bullet coming into the season.  Played like it until he got hurt.  Huge injury, but by all accounts he's healthy and there's no increased chance of reinjury in the same place.

If you're a team that thinks his medicals check out how is he not the top qb still on your board?  Especially knowing who Cin is taking.
Because there really are only about 6 teams that know what they're doing when it comes to building a team through anything resembling a plan.

I'm serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Always gotta remember that a lot of the stuff we hear right now is coming from non-team sources...I will believe he falls when I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread