What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2020 NFL Draft Thread*** (2 Viewers)

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the Lions have had a lot of pre-draft contact with Clemson S Isaiah Simmons.

Graziano added that Simmons is in the mix for them at No. 3 along with Ohio State CB Jeff Okudah, Auburn DT Derrick Brown and others. The Lions would reportedly prefer to trade 2-3 spots back and still get one from that group, but it's unclear whether they can. Simmons offers the type of versatility to help this defense get respectable in a hurry, although they're almost certainly more than one piece away from becoming a truly great unit. Trading down usually makes the most sense in situations like this.

SOURCE: Dan Graziano on Twitter

Apr 23, 2020, 8:31 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports "over the last couple of weeks, the Dolphins called the Bengals on more than one occasion to see if Cincinnati would be willing to trade the No. 1 overall pick."

Schefter added, "The Dolphins were told, in no uncertain terms, no. Cincinnati would not trade the pick and would stay put at No. 1." Joe Burrow will be wearing black and orange shortly after the draft begins.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 23, 2020, 8:35 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Lions "have been engaged with multiple teams on potentially trading out of the No. 3 spot."

It's the latest report that indicates the Lions are looking to move down in the draft. One of Clemson S Isaiah Simmons, Ohio State CB Jeff Okudah or Auburn DT Derrick Brown seems to be the target. The league's No. 28 defense in overall DVOA could use help just about anywhere. Their 31st-ranked pass rush in adjusted sack rate would probably be a good place to start.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 23, 2020, 9:32 AM ET

ESPN's Todd Archer reports "a scenario I'm positive won't happen tonight: the Cowboys taking Michigan C Cesar Ruiz either at No. 17 or a trade back."

The Cowboys have a history of using high-round picks on offensive linemen, but that reportedly won't be the case this year. Archer added that Dallas believes in Joe Looney and Connor McGovern as the Travis Frederick replacements. This would seemingly indicate the team is looking to address the defensive side of the ball in the first round, perhaps at edge rusher or in the secondary.

SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter

Apr 23, 2020, 9:50 AM ET

Gil Brandt on twitter:

This wouldn't surprise me given KC's cap problems -- the total silence w/r/t his contract situation has been odd -- but it would undoubtedly leave a massive hole in their front 7. He's not someone you can replace easily, and that defense already has some issues. 

A couple days ago, Peter King reported that the Chiefs are interested in making a play for Henry Ruggs. Is this how they do it?
There are a couple of layers to this, imo:

1. I just don't see the Ruggs thing. It's gonna take a lot for the Chiefs to move up for a guy they really don't need. This move would shock me.

2. As for the Jones thing, the Chiefs cleared some cap room yesterday by restructuring one of the contracts for an o-lineman. Plus, Jones is due 16 mil against the cap for this year playing under the tag. If the Chiefs decide to re-sign him, that number goes way down.  

I could see either scenario with Jones and would be cool either way. My preference is they extend Jones, and something in my gut tells me this is what happens. But who knows. That's why the draft is so fun. 

There are a couple of layers to this, imo:

1. I just don't see the Ruggs thing. It's gonna take a lot for the Chiefs to move up for a guy they really don't need. This move would shock me.

2. As for the Jones thing, the Chiefs cleared some cap room yesterday by restructuring one of the contracts for an o-lineman. Plus, Jones is due 16 mil against the cap for this year playing under the tag. If the Chiefs decide to re-sign him, that number goes way down.  

I could see either scenario with Jones and would be cool either way. My preference is they extend Jones, and something in my gut tells me this is what happens. But who knows. That's why the draft is so fun. 
I've had the opposite gut feeling -- I've felt for a while that he ends up being traded -- but I'd love to see him stay with the team. That pass rush becomes really weak without him. 

By the way, if they do go WR in round 1, I'd love to see them take Laviska Shenault at 32. Very Watkins-esque player with his insane YAC ability (and injury history!). PFF's player comp for him is Saquon Barkley. Watching defenses try to cover Hill, Watkins, Kelce, Hardman, and Shenault at the same time would be hilarious. 

By the way, if they do go WR in round 1, I'd love to see them take Laviska Shenault at 32. Very Watkins-esque player with his insane YAC ability (and injury history!). PFF's player comp for him is Saquon Barkley. Watching defenses try to cover Hill, Watkins, Kelce, Hardman, and Shenault at the same time would be hilarious. 
Yeah, his name has come up a few times here in talk radio world.  

The thing is, people think that Chiefs defense is weak, but that team (and Spagnoulo) found their footing late in the season and of course through the playoffs. If Jones leaves, I can actually see Spags being able to scheme around that loss.

If Jones stays, I think this defense can be really, really good.

I think Chris Jones is very close to Aaron Donald level in talent. If he's truly available, he's worth at least the price Indy paid for Buckner.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ravens Wire@TheRavensWire

Don't be shocked if the #Ravens grab Minnesota S Antoine Winfield Jr. at No. 28. He's the ideal pick, regardless of need.

-----------------------------------------------------

LINK provides a compelling case for the Ravens to take a S:  Minnesota S Antoine Winfield Jr. is the perfect Ravens pick

• Earl Thomas is going to turn 31
  • Next year his cap hit will be $16 million - highest on the Ravens
  • by cutting him they save $6 million relief next year
  • wipe $17 million off the year after
(Go to link for full read, why Winfield fits)

I assume he will be a Redskin, but whoever gets Chase Young is getting a great player but also a great young man off the field

Football star and Prince George’s County native Chase Young (@youngchase907) made a Chipotle lunch donation, delivered by @Postmates, to #HealthcareHeroes at MedStar Southern Maryland today! Thank you for this act of generosity, Mr. Young! Our associates appreciate it very much.

Pro Football Talks' Mike Florio reports the Dolphins are attempting to acquire the No. 3 pick in order to make the Bengals a Godfather offer for the No. 1 pick.

Per Florio, "The Dolphins believe that a potential Godfather offer to the Bengals for the first overall pick would be even harder to refuse if the Dolphins offer both No. 3 and No. 5 as part of the package. That’s the primary purpose of the Miami effort to finagle No. 3 from Detroit." Previously ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the Bengals have declined the Dolphins' efforts to move up to No. 1. It's unlikely we see that stance change, although two top-five picks would certainly be enticing.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

Apr 23, 2020, 12:03 PM ET

Dolphins Reportedly Think Joe Burrow Is Equivalent To Legendary QB

Slide Coming For Top WR Prospect?

Every year, there's a first-round draft prospect who tumbles way down the board, sometimes even out of the first round.

Last year, Ole Miss wideout D.K. Metcalf fell to Seattle late in the second round. A year earlier, LSU running back Derrius Guice fell to 59th overall, where Washington picked him. Everyone remembers the gas-mask pot-smoking incident that dropped Laremy Tunsil from surefire top-5 pick to 13th overall for the Dolphins.

Reports in the past 24 hours suggest Alabama wide receiver Jerry Jeudy could be this year's victim of a sudden free-fall. Natalie Egenolf, a co-host on 97.5 The Fanatic, dropped a perceived bombshell Tuesday with a Twitter report citing an unnamed source that undisclosed knee injuries could scare off teams picking in the upper end of the first round.

...Added the other, from an AFC squad: "Some concern (about Jeudy's knees). Not as clean as other top [wideouts.] Longevity concern."
Go to the link for the full read.

So Miami is trying to get the Lions #3 without giving up the #5 so they can package both to Cincy for #1?!? Wow.

Lions better get a ransom if they don't get #5

I would do it. Between the current medical uncertainties & the depth of this WR class I could see him slipping into the teens. 
Done ! £30 on it, returning £60

also have ....

£30 on under 5.5 WRs drafted first round returns £75 ( thinking depth of WR means teams wait on them ) 

CJ Henderson to be drafted before 15th

£20 returns £35 

some longer smaller punts 

CJ Henderson first CB off board £10 at 8/1  returns £90
Burrows, Young, Tua 1-2-3  £20 at 3/1 Returns £80

Lamb, Wirfs, Swift first selected at their positions £20 at 15/2 returns £170 

Dolphins select Tua, Chargers don’t select Herbert £20 at 5/1 returns £120 

I should probably stop there unless any other juicy bit of info filters through. Kind of feel UK bookie markets are a little slow with the draft, I’ve made money each of the last 4 years 

Clemson LB Isaiah Simmons told USA TODAY DraftWire's Justin Melo that the teams picking in the top-10 of this week's NFL Draft have remained in constant contact with him. 

Simmons is viewed by many to be the most versatile prospect in this year's draft class and with good reason, as he was used all over the field by Clemson DC Brent Venables. He isn't expected to last outside of the top 10 picks, but the question is when will he hear his name called. Carolina, which holds the seventh overall pick, has long been rumored as a possibility given the fact that the team has to account for the retirement of Luke Kuechly. The Giants at fourth overall are also worth watching, as they also have a need to address at the linebacker position. But for what it's worth, Simmons was unable to single out one or two teams that have remained in contact with him according to Melo. 

SOURCE: USA TODAY DraftWire

Apr 23, 2020, 12:30 PM ET

So Miami is trying to get the Lions #3 without giving up the #5 so they can package both to Cincy for #1?!? Wow.

Lions better get a ransom if they don't get #5
Just playing around with the pick value chart,

Miami gets 3 & 109 (2276)

Detroit gets 18, 26, 39, 70 (2350)

As a disgruntled Lion's fan, I'd take that.  Of course, that gives Quinn a lot of opportunity to attempt to be the smartest man in the room, and we know he loves that.   Miami loses a bit, but if they are that high on Burrow, and it'll take 3 & 5 to get him... maybe.  Can hope at least.

As a disgruntled Lion's fan, I'd take that.  Of course, that gives Quinn a lot of opportunity to attempt to be the smartest man in the room, and we know he loves that.   Miami loses a bit, but if they are that high on Burrow, and it'll take 3 & 5 to get him... maybe.  Can hope at least.
As a lions fan, i would rather have the free pick that 5 & 39 gives them.   The bonus would be less picks for Quinn to screw up.

Of course Miami would have settle for Tua.

As a lions fan, i would rather have the free pick that 5 & 39 gives them.   The bonus would be less picks for Quinn to screw up.

Of course Miami would have settle for Tua.
I was basing that on the story that Miami wants the 3 & 5 to offer for the 1.

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

The 16th overall pick--currently held by the Atlanta Falcons--basically serves as the break point for this year's first round. The top 15 prospects make a lot of sense then the back half of the first could be all over the board.

I was basing that on the story that Miami wants the 3 & 5 to offer for the 1.
Right.

I just don't think Detroit wants to fall that far back in the first round. Might have to work on the Chargers for a similar deal for their #6.

It's like xmas in April for most of us, both fantasy players and NFL fans in general.  A chance to bury ourselves in the cave, have a few drinks and escape.  Especially since it's been rough on everyone lately.   I could use the escape right now.  Hell, work's been harder on me since I started working from home everyday than it was when I went into the office.  I've been burning the candle on both ends with the current project I'm on.  I'm looking forward to tonight to say the least.  I hope everyone else enjoys it too.

Users who are viewing this thread