What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (5 Viewers)

Going a little off the beaten path because I'm assuming we're stopping at 40 and I don't want to accidentally miss a sound. And something Irish was always making its way to my island. It was just a matter of which one. I took longer than I care to admit deciding which band, but once I finally settled on one the album was an easy choice.

Round 35 - Flogging Molly, Swagger (2000)

While I think they have musically better albums I’ve always had a soft spot for their debut, mainly because of the song linked first – the one that drew me to them in the first place. That ####### tin whistle, man.

Devil's Dance Floor

Salty Dog

35.23 - Good As I Been to You - Bob Dylan (1992)

Artist drafted at 2.05 by @Bonzai (Bringing It All Back Home), 3.05 by @timschochet (Blood on the Tracks), 3.24 by @Oliver Humanzee (Hwy 61 Revisited), 4.09 by @Ilov80s (Blonde on Blonde), 7.37 by @Mister CIA (Basement Tapes).

Good As I Been to You and its darker sister album World Gone Wrong were the biggest revelations in last years 85 hour Dylan deep dive with Boz.  I wasn't familiar with them at all but they've become among my favorite Dylan albums.

This album was 50 year old Dylan's return to his folk roots.  The thirteen songs are all acoustic covers of traditional folk and blues numbers.  The two folk records are excellent and form a clear demarcation between Dylan's pop-focus in the 80s and the more idiosyncratic originals that followed. 

Dylan is in terrific form here.  The obvious point of comparison is to his earliest records of (mostly) acoustic folk songs.  His voice in his early 20s was clearer and had greater range but I think his gruff old man voice suits the material better, particularly on the bluesy numbers.  He's a more expressive singer and takes bigger swings with his phrasing.  His guitar playing is also very strong.

Blackjack Davey

Sittin' On Top of the World

Totally disgusted today.   Some homeless guy followed Mrs. Eephus this morning yelling racist crap at her.  WTF is wrong with people.
I gave it a ❤️ because that's the only way to best this terribleness.

But ugh. Feel for Mrs E. 
Yeah I did the same, sending love to Mrs. E 

I think of SF as a place in the states where that #### shouldn't happen, though I know it's everywhere (here too) and I guess? as more people stand up more people reveal their ugly side in retaliation. Or something, I can't really make sense of it. 

53.31 Crowded House - Temple of Low Men (1988)

Wore this album out my Freshman year of college.  Love every song on it. I think Neil Finn has been lauded here, but I can't emphasize how much I love his lyrics.

1. I Feel Possessed

2. Kill Eye

3. Into Temptation

4. Mansion in the Slums

5. When You Come

6. Never Be the Same

7. Love This Life

8. Sister Madly

9. In the Lowlands

10. Better Be Home Soon

Could have easily gone with "I Feel Possessed", "Mansion in the Sulms" "Love This Life" or "Be Home Soon".

Thoughts for beyond round 40:

A - End the Draft - The pandemic is over (according to my employer), it's all business as usual, nothing going on in the world that we need distractions from.

B - Carry on as is to round 50 (for now) - keep with the clock and @Binky The Doormat and @mphtrilogy and @krista4 whipping everyone into shape while I pop in every few hours and tell people they still can't draft greatest hits albums.

C - Same as B but one pick in the AM, one pick in the PM. As I've said I don't prefer this method but I'm back working on the road Monday to Thursday now, so I haven't been the one steering the draft/spreadsheet the last 10 days or so.

D - Supplemental rounds - Greatest Hits, Live Albums, EP's. We can do this whenever we deem the "regular" draft order, so if people want to go to 50, which it seems many do, we can still tack this on to the end whenever that may be.

E - Some combination of B, C, D.

F - Something completely different (new rounds, new draft, whatever)

---------------

For what it's worth based on the discussion earlier, I would go with Option B for now. The spreadsheet updaters seem to be sadists and want to keep steering and updating and most people who responded want to keep drafting, plus the pace seems to have settled at a level where we make a couple picks a day in order with lots of good discussion, so I'm still of the ain't broke, don't fix it mentality.

But also democratic process, open to ideas etc...

Users who are viewing this thread