What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are there strategic advantages for the Democrats if the economy is still in shambles and COVID is out of control in November? (1 Viewer)

Are there strategic advantages for the Democrats if the economy is still in shambles and COVID is ou

• Absolutely An Advantage For Democrats

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • Yes. An Advantage For Democrats

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Barely An Advantage For Democrats

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barely Not An Advantage For Democrats

• No. Not An Advantage For Democrats

• Absolutely Not An Advantage For Democrats

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Sorry. Last one for today as I know I'm starting a bunch of these but these are interesting to me.

@The General brought up a good question:  Are there strategic advantages for the Democrats if the economy is still in shambles and COVID is out of control in November?

Of course.

Trump only has two things he can really ring his hat on come November:

1). The economy

2.) His handling and control of the virus

Unfortunately for him, those two are directly connected. If the virus is still strong come election, he's done.

Depends.  If the overall US economy is bad, but Red States are doing better than Blue States or vice versa then even with a bad overall economy, it can be used to one sides advantage.

Probably, but democratic governors need to play their cards right. If they are the ones holding back their local economies that will be held against the Democratic party.

Depends.  If the overall US economy is bad, but Red States are doing better than Blue States or vice versa then even with a bad overall economy, it can be used to one sides advantage.
Sure, but that's really just breaking down the OP poll question into 51 smaller but identical questions, isn't it?

Definitely as it would assure as much as anything could a Trump defeat.

Not to be conflated with desiring this to be the case which is exactly what Trump's strategists will try desperately to do.

This combined with Joe is senile will be beaten over people's heads this summer and into the election.

Don't fall for it.

Yes and no.  

As Rich pointed out, chaos and a bad economy are typically reasons for voting out incumbents.  But, the flip side is the Dems will be taking over a bad economy and a country in chaos - hard to say that is an advantage.

Its much more advantageous to take over an economy that is rising, than one in disarray.

Yes, which is why Trump was pushing states to open in direct defiance of his own re-opening guidelines. Also, its the reason he's drawing a line between people who wear a mask and those who don't. He needs the appearance of normalcy.

Sure, but that's really just breaking down the OP poll question into 51 smaller but identical questions, isn't it?
That's what the general election is though.  It's 51 State elections that get combined into one election.  So if State X recovers poorly it will affect the candidate in that State.   

I guess I don’t understand ‘strategic advantage’. The economic shambles didn’t just fall out of the sky, a good deal of it would be due to mismanagement by the current administration.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the economy is in shambles, it obviously favors the democrats.  Trump has 0.000% chance of winning if the economy is in the toilet.

If covid is "out of control", will people be voting?  What would happen in the scenario where a 2nd wave, far worse than the first, was happening right at election day?  I have no answers at all to that, just asking the question.

If the economy is in shambles, it obviously favors the democrats.  Trump has 0.000% chance of winning if the economy is in the toilet.

If covid is "out of control", will people be voting?  What would happen in the scenario where a 2nd wave, far worse than the first, was happening right at election day?  I have no answers at all to that, just asking the question.
If you can go out to grocery shop, you can go out to vote.  Just wear a mask and bring a disinfectant wipe for the machine.

If you can go out to grocery shop, you can go out to vote.  Just wear a mask and bring a disinfectant wipe for the machine.
In the posited scenario, covid is out of control.  If that's the case, many will be too scared to go out and vote.  It would also be a huge health risk to do so.  

Eh, I see a considerable difference between walking down aisles with some safe space and walking into the same closed booth where maybe a thousand people have been before you. I also have elderly relatives whom I don't want going anywhere near those things. Fwiw I've always been a voter ID, register personally kind of person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, I see a considerable difference between walking down aisles with some safe space and walking into the same closed booth where maybe a thousand people have been before you. I also have elderly relatives whom I don't want going anywhere near those things.
Register to vote by mail then.

For me personnaly I'd crawl through broken glass to vote in November but not for a lot of folks. 

Register to vote by mail then.
I'm already registered, so are my relatives. We've got 6 months to a national election, you really expect everyone to go through hoops of requesting a mail-in ballot, fill that in, get back registration, then vote? If you're registered, you're registered. Nobody should be locked out here.

I'm already registered, so are my relatives. We've got 6 months to a national election, you really expect everyone to go through hoops of requesting a mail-in ballot, fill that in, get back registration, then vote? If you're registered, you're registered. Nobody should be locked out here.
Yes you should go through the hoops.  

Yes and no.  

As Rich pointed out, chaos and a bad economy are typically reasons for voting out incumbents.  But, the flip side is the Dems will be taking over a bad economy and a country in chaos - hard to say that is an advantage.

Its much more advantageous to take over an economy that is rising, than one in disarray.
I assumed this was advantageous for winning the WH back as he mentions November - in that case I'm confused by your post.  Obviously if they can win the WH and have a booming/recovering economy that would be the ideal.

Well the POTUS disagrees with you. 
The POTUS voted by mail.  WTH are you talking about?  Voting is a State issue and voting laws are already in place.  If a State decides they want to change their voting laws then the legislature can debate, vote and change.  What you can't do is unilatererally change voting requirements and send out mail-in ballots contrary to State laws because of some pandemic exception.  There needs to be protections in place to ensure that voter fraud doesn't occur because the integrity of our elections is paramount. 

https://www.heritage.org/election-integrity/commentary/potential-fraud-why-mail-elections-should-be-dead-letter

"Going entirely to by-mail elections would unwisely endanger the security and integrity of the election process, particularly if officials automatically mail absentee ballots to all registered voters without a signed, authenticated request from each voter.  

Voter registration rolls are notoriously inaccurate and out of date, containing the names of voters who are deceased, have moved, or otherwise have become ineligible."

I believe CA found 1.5M voters who either died, moved or became ineligible to vote on the registers.  Now imagine that in a swing State where the difference in votes is 100,000 or less.  

The POTUS voted by mail.  WTH are you talking about?  Voting is a State issue and voting laws are already in place.  If a State decides they want to change their voting laws then the legislature can debate, vote and change.  What you can't do is unilatererally change voting requirements and send out mail-in ballots contrary to State laws because of some pandemic exception.  There needs to be protections in place to ensure that voter fraud doesn't occur because the integrity of our elections is paramount. 

https://www.heritage.org/election-integrity/commentary/potential-fraud-why-mail-elections-should-be-dead-letter

"Going entirely to by-mail elections would unwisely endanger the security and integrity of the election process, particularly if officials automatically mail absentee ballots to all registered voters without a signed, authenticated request from each voter.  

Voter registration rolls are notoriously inaccurate and out of date, containing the names of voters who are deceased, have moved, or otherwise have become ineligible."

I believe CA found 1.5M voters who either died, moved or became ineligible to vote on the registers.  Now imagine that in a swing State where the difference in votes is 100,000 or less.  
So you would rather people risk their lives by being forced to vote in person.

Snotbubbles said:
That's what the general election is though.  It's 51 State elections that get combined into one election.  So if State X recovers poorly it will affect the candidate in that State.   
Right, but I guess my take is that the original question still applies.  If the economy is a trainwreck in "states that matter", that's bad for the incumbent.  That's true every election, not just this one.  COVID is a new wrench, but I imagine the same thing applies.  If it's raging with a second wave and 300K deaths, that's bad for the incumbent.  Anyone answering otherwise is just being silly.

Right, but I guess my take is that the original question still applies.  If the economy is a trainwreck in "states that matter", that's bad for the incumbent.  That's true every election, not just this one.  COVID is a new wrench, but I imagine the same thing applies.  If it's raging with a second wave and 300K deaths, that's bad for the incumbent.  Anyone answering otherwise is just being silly.
Only if the State is run by members of the incumbents party.  Example Pennsylvania's economy is tanking, New Jersey's economy is tanking.  Ohio's is booming.  Trump campaigns on "look at the failed Democratic leadership in these States.  Look at how great Republican leadership is doing."  

...and pay no attention to the pathetic national response led by my administration which is kind of what a Presidential election is all about.

Definitely as it would assure as much as anything could a Trump defeat.

Not to be conflated with desiring this to be the case which is exactly what Trump's strategists will try desperately to do.
Thanks @The General I agree with you on this.

I think this thread has been helpful and also a little surprising to me. I didn't expect the results of the poll and that's been helpful and interesting. I also think you hit on a much bigger point in the desire for how to present the way the economy and Covid are trending is a giant factor. For both sides. 

Users who are viewing this thread