What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (5 Viewers)

And does what?  
If there is no college football and no or reduced TV money what do you think is going to happen to a lot of the non revenue generating sports? How do they get funded? Some tough decisions are going to be made and Title 9 is going to play a part in those decisions. College sports programs are already getting shutdown. 

Damn UVA at Clemson, FSU, Miami and VT. Now some are not as strong as past years but still tough road trips, with or without fans.

Some kid I know reporting UF AD presser

@Bfarrell727: Stricklin said that, while UF and other SEC teams wanted to play OOC rivals, there just wasn't enough time to fit in 10 conference games and the SEC championship game.

@Bfarrell727: He also says that there will still be divisions this year and that a schedule will be out soon. Who UF's other two opponents will be is still up in the air. 
Stricklin also still wants to have fans.

@Bfarrell727: Stricklin talked to UGA's AD about FL-GA and they want to keep it in Jax. 
"Our goal is to try to play that game in Jacksonville," he said.

SEC Commish Sankey indicates the two additional games will be assigned on strength of schedule basis.

Big Ten update from Sports Illustrated's Forde: "League has advised members it still might not play this fall. Decision on whether to start camp on time will be made in next five days, but with testing protocols in place that is the expectation. Schedule release is TBD, fluid situation." 

The revised Pac-12 schedule allows each team three games that can be rescheduled without impact. It also has blocks of games that can be moved if needed, per the San Jose Mercury News' Wilner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pac 12 players demanding 50% of league revenues, among other safety measures and social justice concerns, before agreeing to return to play sure is something. 

Pac 12 players demanding 50% of league revenues, among other safety measures and social justice concerns, before agreeing to return to play sure is something. 
That's a higher percentage than NFL Players get.  They are also demanding no other sports get cancelled and Stanford reinstate the ones they already axed.  Don't the 50% the players want pay for all these other sports?

Good for the players. I suspect we will see others follow suit shortly.

All the NCAA had to do was give them name and image rights and none of this would have happened - I suspect.

They might as well have just said that they're not playing this year under any reasonable condition. 

OK I'm catching up here, but what's the point of the conference only schedules?  Does Covid only attack across conferences or something?  I don't really see the difference in an in conference vs. OOC game from a pandemic perspective.

OK I'm catching up here, but what's the point of the conference only schedules?  Does Covid only attack across conferences or something?  I don't really see the difference in an in conference vs. OOC game from a pandemic perspective.
I think you know what teams in your conference are doing to protect against COVID. Conferences make the rules for their teams. So a Big Ten team playing another Big Ten team knows exactly what precautions that other team has and is taking. But it can't say the same about a MAC team.

Not saying any of it is going to make a difference, but I think it makes some sense in that conferences can set up their own protocols that member schools are required to follow.  Versus being concerned with what protocols all the schools and conferences on the OOC schedule have in place.  :shrug:    Again, not sure it can possibly make a difference.  The Big 10 is spread out from Lincoln, NE to New Brunswick, NJ.

Full Control of the schedule if you have to shorten the season

Also full control of testing and quarantine standards. 

Still stupid FSU/Florida and the other rivals aren’t playing. 

Seeing reports that it's players that are opting out, but their scholarships will still be honored next year.  :shrug:
This guy is claiming he was cut from the team but can keep his scholarship.  So the cut vs opting out is probably going to be a PR battle.   The WSU coach is pretty dumb it's hard as hell to recruit there already he just made it impossible.  Let the PAC-12 conference respond to the demands.  You're going to have to do what everyone else is doing anyway however this turns out.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-native-says-he-was-cut-from-washington-state-football-team-for-involvement-in-weareunited-movement

What can the Pac 12 even do at this point regarding the monetary demands? Let's say the league came out tomorrow and said the players can have 50% of the revenue...the NCAA won't allow it. And there are government/legal implications as well. 

Big 12 schedule - 10 games including 1 OOC game.

The Big 12 -- a 10-team league -- regularly plays a nine-game, round-robin conference schedule. The start of conference play will be "solidified in the coming weeks, with an anticipated start sometime between mid-to-late September," according to a release. 

It is expected the Big 12 will announce the start date to the conference season (either Sept. 19 or Sept. 26) early this week, Big 12 sources told CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd. Big 12 athletic directors have pushed back Tuesday's weekly conference call to 3 p.m. CT to account for the NCAA Board of Governors decision on whether to cancel fall championships. 

Nonconference games are expected to be played prior to the start of league games as Big 12 home contests. Four Big 12 teams are currently slated to play nonconference games on Aug. 29, which would be Week 0.

No MACtion this year.  They've cancelled the entire fall season.  Amazing how important covid became when the B1G cancelled all the MAC's money games.

No MACtion this year.  They've cancelled the entire fall season.  Amazing how important covid became when the B1G cancelled all the MAC's money games.
Apparently the NIU President is an infectious disease expert and has been saying they shouldn’t play and took NIU out of the conversation. Downhill after that. 

There goes my Kobe Lewis shares in my keeper college fantasy football teams over at ZF.  Obviously way down on the list of priorities of things in the world, but getting more pessimistic that we'll be able to pull a fantasy season off even if actual college football happens.

Sounds like the hammer could be about to fall.  Pete Thamel reporting that the Big 10 meeting today, and the president wants to cancel.  Pat Forde citing a "prominent industry source" telling him that by the end of the week, all fall sports will be cancelled for all conferences.

None of this is going to happen. 

*could see the acc, big 12 and especially the sec being tone deaf enough to try and play. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the hammer could be about to fall.  Pete Thamel reporting that the Big 10 meeting today, and the president wants to cancel.  Pat Forde citing a "prominent industry source" telling him that by the end of the week, all fall sports will be cancelled for all conferences.
Yea, may happen as early as today. Spring is pretty unlikely too I think, unless there is a vaccine.

Athletic Depts and other depts will immediately furlough almost everyone. Who knows what they come back to.

Power 5 source to @Stadium: “College football season is done. I don’t think everyone immediately follows MAC, but it gives other league presidents 1 more reason to make an easier decision. Biggest thing is unknown long-term impact of COVID & liability issues involved"

Yea, may happen as early as today. Spring is pretty unlikely too I think, unless there is a vaccine.

Athletic Depts and other depts will immediately furlough almost everyone. Who knows what they come back to.
Yeah these ADs might not have a dept after this 

Users who are viewing this thread