What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 College Football Thread: FSU and Clemson sue ACC for making them share a conference with SMU (1 Viewer)

see no provision in the new rules for ND either. If they ever figure out how to get to #1 in the country ever again, based on the rules I see, they'd be the 5 seed as the top four seeds go to the top 4 ranked conference champions.
ND will never get a bye and will have to win 4 games to win it all . Their best could get them a home game vs the #12 team. But since they don't have a conference championship game that does give them a bye of sorts before the opening round.

I never understood why they get special treatment.

see no provision in the new rules for ND either. If they ever figure out how to get to #1 in the country ever again, based on the rules I see, they'd be the 5 seed as the top four seeds go to the top 4 ranked conference champions.
ND will never get a bye and will have to win 4 games to win it all . Their best could get them a home game vs the #12 team. But since they don't have a conference championship game that does give them a bye of sorts before the opening round.

I never understood why they get special treatment.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Clemson sued to get out of the ACC. It’s about over for that conference.

Probably. But one of the members has to actually win a lawsuit for that to be true. That hasn't happened yet.

Monday's CFP announcement made the gap untenable (if it wasnt already). If the conference was generating competitive payouts it would be a different story. But it's not.

As the UNC AD implied publicly on an-apparently-little-seen podcast in the summer, it will be a settlement. Sooner or later. Probably sooner.

Phillips must pretend that his conference is willing to keep its top members hostage for 12 years to maximize the settlement-- so we'll see lots of tough talk. But no one is going the distance on this when every single member will be better off in the short term (and probably long term) with a settlement. For the smaller schools, this is their one and only chance to get a chunk of B1G/SEC $ via a windfall settlement-- and it turns out these schools like money. No, not promises of money like Swofford promised the Presidents for 25 years and only delivered ~5 years of competitive paychecks; but actual money in-hand right now in huge numbers. And that's what the settlement will bring.

One might ask-- but what of the future for the Wake's and Syracuse's? What settlement is worth sacrificing their future? It could fall any number of ways. One wish, err scenario, is that only 3 ACC schools + ND have a B1G/SEC landing spot. But it could easily be the core of UNC/Clem/FSU *plus* UVA/Miami. But if UVA and Miami are shunned, there's a UVA/Wake/NC St/Miami/Vtech/GTech/Duke/+ 1 new Carolina school scenario that would be an ACC-reformation of sorts. Keeping in mind that in the 2nd Tier attendance will take on more importance than ever, that group would fill stadiums and arenas much better than the current ACC or any fly-by-night super-conference that Phillips dreams up could do. The media deal could actually be quite lucrative splitting the pie just 8-ways-- approaching or perhaps exceeding B12--- plus they will have the settlement in the bank. This reformation in the ACC would lead to a reformation-of-sorts in the Big East. The BE would still have the football/basketball problem, but it's a much easier problem to solve when youre in the 2nd tier.

Unfortunately, that wish, err scenario, is a long way off (if it ever happens) because Phillips will do everything he can to throw together a super-conference to prevent ESPN exercising their not-talked-about-enough opt-out in a couple years. But without the major media assets in the league and the suddenly-impoverished state of ESPN--- an opt-out seems likely. Or at least ESPN will use the threat of the opt-out to re-organize as it sees fit.

Interestingly, if ESPN cant leverage the opt-out--a smaller ACC will do better negotiating a media deal than a larger one because the universe of bidders who can go after the media deal will increase as the size of the conference decreases; all the while not affecting the payouts per school. This wasnt an issue even 3-4 years ago; it's a big issue now. A more marketable, accessible media deal in gross dollars is a big selling point. Thus in the current/future media environment, there's some real strong points that come with a smaller amount of members when it comes to negotiating media deals. A separate ACC and Big East will generate more bidders, more inventory, more energy in the stadiums/arenas (which used to be an after-thought, but not anymore), and ultimately--- more money.

Moreover, it will get a big vote of support (perhaps even financially) from the B1G and SEC who will both like a more stable 2nd tier that keeps a sense of conference history intact (comical/ironic, I know, but true), and has deeper cultural ties than a thrown together collection of musical-chair-playing super conferences. Fox will have something to say about it too and that complicates matters.

What a mess.

Last edited:
As a VT grad I am very worried. From a football and school size perspective we have a lot to offer the B10. Probably less to offer the SEC except for geography. Separating out CLEM, Fl St and MIA as easily going to be picked up by other conferences ....

VT doesn't have the success in secondary sports that UVA and UNC have. Our academics while good are much lower than those two schools. We have a small media market (although like 50% of VT grads are from NoVA, which could be a huge media market if used better, but the school leaders are very Blacksburg and SW VA centric. Plus DC is a void of colleges anyone cares about with MD in the B10 and playing teams nowhere near DC).

Frankly I'm surprised the Ivy League hasn't sucked in UVA and Duke. Both are ranked top 25 academically. That would put those into a spot where they'd fit great. But it's not gonna happen. So they will get picked up by B10 or SEC.

I think the old Big East will resurface as the home for many of these schools (perhaps still titled as the ACC) ... VT, BC, Syracuse, WF, Pitt, Louisville, GT + like ECU, UConn, and Villanova. It will be a basketball conference with occasional good football. And far less revenue. And far less NIL funds, which honestly might be good because I don't love what the system has become. Maybe these schools should focus more on academics.

I'm rambling. Mostly frustrated because VT finally got out of the doldrums of the old Big East and Metro conferences and now it looks like we will end up right back in that, or in the B12 which might be a better fit but pulls it away from the majority of alumni which live in NOVA

Last edited:
I'm rambling. Mostly frustrated because VT finally got out of the doldrums of the old Big East and Metro conferences and now it looks like we will end up right back in that.

The last 10 years has not been a picnic for the expansion schools or really any but a few ACC schools, and perhaps the embarrassment of last week's ACCT (and some similar results at ACC Football CGs) was a stark reminder to the membership that what's currently setup just isnt working; and not only when it comes to payouts.

It's not as bad for Vtech as the 2013 expansion schools who sold their souls for 25-years of top-tier paychecks-- and then only 6 years later you had Dino Babers complaining publicly at media day that there was no way the ACC could compete. And what's happened since Dino pointed that out? Not only has he gotten fired, but the gap has widened even more--- it's become gargantuan. The 2013 batch of schools (which includes mine, Syracuse) are abject failures at being mercenaries. We lost everything they had and ended up gaining very little; "the at-least-we-aint-UConn" mantra is starting to wear very thin in Central New York. But if Syracuse gets a big settlement check from the ACC-as-we-know-it break-up and then can restore its soul with a sufficient paycheck in a re-formed Big East-- decidedly 2nd tier or not---the evil ghosts of Swofford and Darryl Gross could be exorcised. We'll see...

I'd argue we all had it pretty darn good before VT left. Football between SU and VT in the 90s and early 00s was vastly better than it is now or in recent memory. We played on CBS and ESPN nationally regularly in football, had College Gameday at Blacksburg (I was there for the 62-0 drubbing or whatever it was--- that was a long day). and SU had a deal to remain competitive, but walked away based on a presentation to the Board of Trustees from Swofford/Gross-- that if you saw it today would look like Amway marketing materials in the 80's. The ACC has delivered a lot of empty seats, has been a complete drain on the Syracuse brand with countless 9PM starts, and for all that doesnt deliver the uber-competitive paycheck. Of course Syracuse hasnt quite done its part either. You might argue the same for VT. But no doubt the hope and promise of the ACC has gone exactly as the silent majority in the Syracuse community and in the old-guard ACC said it would-- down the tubes.

There's so much wrong with the ACC that it's hard to fit it all in. I had a long post last night and didnt even get to the awful luck the ACC has had with the ACCN.

I am relatively unforgiving for these guys, but will say this much though for Swofford and Phillips and ESPN-- it was not easy to foresee the disaster that is the ACCN. As much as you could say it's their job to be on top of these things, the timing of the RSN-Cable-Subsidization-Collapse was just exquisitely poor for all of them. At least with the B1G and SEC they had more time to recoup what they spent and can more easily slither into other models given their growth. The ACC was simply snake bit when it came to the ACCN.

Last edited:
There's a part of me that sees the below scenario of a Big 24, with 3 regions. Top 4 (3 winner + next best ranked) make their conference playoffs. You play the other 7 teams in your regions, plus 3 more from the rest of the conference, plus an at-large so you can play your rival (ie VT vs UVA, Ok St vs OSU, whatever). Basketball and non-revenue sports are easier for travel within your region. I do think VT and NcSt get hurt for admissions in this scenario. A lot less in state people will want to go to them if their rivals are scattered around the midsection/west of the US. (Bolded teams are add to the current B12)

B24
WESTCENTRALEAST
BYUBaylorUCF
ColoradoHOUCIN
UtahTCUIowa St
Ariz StTex TechWVU
ArizKansasLouisville
StanfordKansas StVT
CalOK StNcSt
Wash StSMUPIT

Last edited:
There's a part of me that sees the below scenario of a Big 24, with 3 regions. Top 4 (3 winner + next best ranked) make their conference playoffs. You play the other 7 teams in your regions, plus 3 more from the rest of the conference, plus an at-large so you can play your rival (ie VT vs UVA, Ok St vs OSU, whatever). Basketball and non-revenue sports are easier for travel within your region. I do think VT and NcSt get hurt for admissions in this scenario. A lot less in state people will want to go to them if their rivals are scattered around the midsection/west of the US. (Bolded teams are add to the current B12)

B24
WESTCENTRALEAST
BYUBaylorUCF
ColoradoHOUCIN
UtahTCUIowa St
Ariz StTex TechWVU
ArizKansasLouisville
StanfordKansas StVT
CalOK StNcSt
Wash StSMUPIT

Lord knows they'll try and maybe they'll get something big to stick---but super-conferences just dont check out for me because--

1) Media Money: there is not strength in numbers in media deals in 2024 and that trend is going to grow over the next few years.
1a) It's so much inventory to sell that an exclusive deal (which is more lucrative than non-exclusive) becomes a problem due to lack of bidders. So they'd likely be doing a piecemeal deal. A
piecemeal deal is not the end of the world. But the setup is just limiting.

2) Non-Media Money: Attendance/non-media dollars matter more than at any time in the past 20 years. While regionalizing a super-conference helps a bit, having actual independent regionals will create a much richer rivalry setup in all-sports right through to the conferences post-seasons.

3) Brand: The ACC brand is still gold. The Big East brand is still gold. The Pac10 brand is still gold. And those brands can be monetized far beyond that of a thrown together super conference. I dont think there's much hope for the PAC at this stage, but the ACC and Big East are very much in play if they have a re-formation of sorts to the furthest extent-- depending just how big the B1G and SEC want to get.

4) Filed under the why-the-heck-would-anyone-care? department-- The B1G/SEC seem less likely to bless it. And some are convinced at this point that the b1G and SEC would even bring financial support to a 2nd tier that they bless. Why? They have regulatory risk. A happy 2nd tier that everyone signs-off-on is an asset to the B1G/SEC.

I'm rambling. Mostly frustrated because VT finally got out of the doldrums of the old Big East and Metro conferences and now it looks like we will end up right back in that.

The last 10 years has not been a picnic for the expansion schools or really any but a few ACC schools, and perhaps the embarrassment of last week's ACCT (and some similar results at ACC Football CGs) was a stark reminder to the membership that what's currently setup just isnt working; and not only when it comes to payouts.

It's not as bad for Vtech as the 2013 expansion schools who sold their souls for 25-years of top-tier paychecks-- and then only 6 years later you had Dino Babers complaining publicly at media day that there was no way the ACC could compete. And what's happened since Dino pointed that out? Not only has he gotten fired, but the gap has widened even more--- it's become gargantuan. The 2013 batch of schools (which includes mine, Syracuse) are abject failures at being mercenaries. We lost everything they had and ended up gaining very little; "the at-least-we-aint-UConn" mantra is starting to wear very thin in Central New York. But if Syracuse gets a big settlement check from the ACC-as-we-know-it break-up and then can restore its soul with a sufficient paycheck in a re-formed Big East-- decidedly 2nd tier or not---the evil ghosts of Swofford and Darryl Gross could be exorcised. We'll see...

I'd argue we all had it pretty darn good before VT left. Football between SU and VT in the 90s and early 00s was vastly better than it is now or in recent memory. We played on CBS and ESPN nationally regularly in football, had College Gameday at Blacksburg (I was there for the 62-0 drubbing or whatever it was--- that was a long day). and SU had a deal to remain competitive, but walked away based on a presentation to the Board of Trustees from Swofford/Gross-- that if you saw it today would look like Amway marketing materials in the 80's. The ACC has delivered a lot of empty seats, has been a complete drain on the Syracuse brand with countless 9PM starts, and for all that doesnt deliver the uber-competitive paycheck. Of course Syracuse hasnt quite done its part either. You might argue the same for VT. But no doubt the hope and promise of the ACC has gone exactly as the silent majority in the Syracuse community and in the old-guard ACC said it would-- down the tubes.

There's so much wrong with the ACC that it's hard to fit it all in. I had a long post last night and didnt even get to the awful luck the ACC has had with the ACCN.

I am relatively unforgiving for these guys, but will say this much though for Swofford and Phillips and ESPN-- it was not easy to foresee the disaster that is the ACCN. As much as you could say it's their job to be on top of these things, the timing of the RSN-Cable-Subsidization-Collapse was just exquisitely poor for all of them. At least with the B1G and SEC they had more time to recoup what they spent and can more easily slither into other models given their growth. The ACC was simply snake bit when it came to the ACCN.
In my view, the problems steming from the ACCN were mostly about timing....took too long to read the room and react. Also thought it was really dumb of them to want to be like the SEC and B1G. They should have leaned in to the "basketball conference" position and take the wins in football where they could. THAT will forever be the legacy of Swofford and company IMO.

They should have leaned in to the "basketball conference" position and take the wins in football where they could.
I don’t disagree but there’s no money in that. Duke isn’t even considered a real player for the sec or big and they are as elite of a basketball program as there is.

They should have leaned in to the "basketball conference" position and take the wins in football where they could.
I don’t disagree but there’s no money in that. Duke isn’t even considered a real player for the sec or big and they are as elite of a basketball program as there is.
I know. There's also no money in the termination of the conference. They waited way to long to act at every single decision/crossroad. They were reactionary in every single one of those and now we are talking about how long the conference is going to be around (potentially)

Judge expects to make ruling in ACC-FSU case before April 9​

_____

ESPN was as heavily involved as expected-- doing all they can not to keep its agreement with the ACC private. The more they argue, the more I wonder wth is in there that would damage them so badly. Could be nothing, could be something that we wouldnt find unusual, could be something(s) out of left field.

This is for the cheeseburger (eyeroll). Nothing about sign stealing yet.

Sems like a very light slap on the wrist.

Its total BS honestly.
"The agreed-upon violations involve impermissible in-person recruiting contacts during a COVID-19 dead period, impermissible tryouts, and the program exceeding the number of allowed countable coaches when noncoaching staff members engaged in on- and off-field coaching activities (including providing technical and tactical skills instruction to student-athletes)"

Its hard not to laugh reading these ridiculous "violations." Seriously the NCAA can't ####off soon enough for me. These arrogant pricks should all be serving fries at a drive-through somewhere.

This is for the cheeseburger (eyeroll). Nothing about sign stealing yet.

Sems like a very light slap on the wrist.

Its total BS honestly.
"The agreed-upon violations involve impermissible in-person recruiting contacts during a COVID-19 dead period, impermissible tryouts, and the program exceeding the number of allowed countable coaches when noncoaching staff members engaged in on- and off-field coaching activities (including providing technical and tactical skills instruction to student-athletes)"

Its hard not to laugh reading these ridiculous "violations." Seriously the NCAA can't ####off soon enough for me. These arrogant pricks should all be serving fries at a drive-through somewhere.

Reading the violations they are a joke. The NCAA will cease to exist for college football and BB within 2 years. With NIL and two open portals there is no need for the NCAA. Just have a commish like the NFL. Nobody will care if a coach or non-coach worked with player instruction.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread