What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (4 Viewers)

If there is, in fact, a 2020-2021 College Football season, there here is my Top 20:

1. Clemson

2. Alabama

3. Ohio State

4. Georgia

5. Penn State

6. Oklahoma

7. Florida

8. Notre Dame

9. Oregon

10. Oklahoma State

11. LSU

12. Minnesota

13. Texas A&M

14. Wisconsin

15. Cincinnati

16. USC

17. North Carolina

18. Michigan

19. Texas

20. Arizona State

The rumor part is that tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska want to play.  I can believe that.  The part about joining up with the Big XII for a season is just a suggestion by the tweet author.  :shrug:  
Oh definitely. Unaffiliated reporter with less than 250 followers has the goods that Pat Forde and other CFB journalists don’t have? Unlikely. He’s probably  :stirspot: but absent any real talk I tossed it out there for yucks. 

Oh definitely. Unaffiliated reporter with less than 250 followers has the goods that Pat Forde and other CFB journalists don’t have? Unlikely. He’s probably  :stirspot: but absent any real talk I tossed it out there for yucks. 
Oh no.  This "rumor" is gaining traction.  There was another tweet and it showed up on /r/Huskers.  What an absolute ####### troll job.   :lmao:   :rolleyes:    :wall:  

This will crush so many small towns and ripple long term.   

I mean look at Baylor.  They have a crushing amount of debt due on their stadium.  They aren't alone.  

Then think about the small town economies built on this stuff.  

I mean look at Baylor.  They have a crushing amount of debt due on their stadium.  They aren't alone.  

I feel for the small towns and all the businesses that rely on CFB to support their entire year. 

The football programs can all go piss off. Each and every one of them. They all overpaid admins or put together staffs of 30 “analysts” or built ridiculous facilities to show themselves being in the red every year so they don’t have to pay players. The comeuppance they all have to face is delicious and it may be the one thing I enjoy in 2020. Excited for FSU to send me a letter for more money to cover their incompetent spending so I can toss it right in the trash. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for the small towns and all the businesses that rely on CFB to support their entire year. 

The football programs can all go piss off. Each and every one of them. They all overpaid admins or put together staffs of 30 “analysts” or built ridiculous facilities to show themselves being in the red every year so they don’t have to pay players. The comeuppance they all have to face is delicious and it may be the one thing I enjoy in 2020. Excited for FSU to send me a letter for more money to cover their incompetent spending so I can toss it right in the trash. 
Walk me through how this won't result in these practices being back in 2021.  

Historic times.  It sure does feel like college football (and college sports in general) are at a crossroads.  Maybe nothing will change, but it sure doesn't feel that way.  What the #### do I know?  

Show me a rough outline of how this results in us being back in 1992 again?  The infrastructure is there.  

All of a sudden we pay coaches 600k instead of 6000k?

Pour one out for small economies built upon the backs of an unpaid labor force.

Show me a rough outline of how this results in us being back in 1992 again?  The infrastructure is there.  

All of a sudden we pay coaches 600k instead of 6000k?
I don’t know what the future will hold. If they miss this season and/or 2021 I don’t think we’ll see pre-pandemic times any time soon, especially with the players speaking up on being paid now. 

I don’t know what the future will hold. If they miss this season and/or 2021 I don’t think we’ll see pre-pandemic times any time soon, especially with the players speaking up on being paid now. 
They are already paid.  Instead of envelopes of cash it is probably crypto or dark web stuff locked up till they leave school, quietly.  

They are already paid.  Instead of envelopes of cash it is probably crypto or dark web stuff locked up till they leave school, quietly.  
*the star players. Nobody is handing out bags to the middle of the road 3-stars. 

Historic times.  It sure does feel like college football (and college sports in general) are at a crossroads.  Maybe nothing will change, but it sure doesn't feel that way.  What the #### do I know?  
2020 will go down as the most important year in college sports history. Seasons cancelled, the NCAA loses power, the NIL labor issues finally come to a head, spending is cut on sports not-football and the results of that will be scorched earth on sports not-football.

2020 will go down as the most important year in college sports history. Seasons cancelled, the NCAA loses power, the NIL labor issues finally come to a head, spending is cut on sports not-football and the results of that will be scorched earth on sports not-football.
Sometimes a thing needs to burn to the ground in order to be rebuilt properly.  What has the NCAA done in the last 20 years that would lead anyone to believe they'll make the tough/correct choices unless forced to do so?

*the star players. Nobody is handing out bags to the middle of the road 3-stars. 
Tbh the people that I know that know stuff say that NFL players pass it down to those that don't.  There is some heavy ymmv on that I suppose.   There's a high possibility my contacts are full of ####, they do VC for oil refurbs.  It's a bunch of oil big shots that measure their **** by how much they bag for whomever.  There's coordination across schools even.  Almost like an auction process

Sometimes a thing needs to burn to the ground in order to be rebuilt properly.  What has the NCAA done in the last 20 years that would lead anyone to believe they'll make the tough/correct choices unless forced to do so?
Agree no doubt on the NCAA, but that's the least impactful result...they were on the way out anyway.  The most impactful result IMO is what happens outside of the football.  And bigger picture to American universities in general.

Tbh the people that I know that know stuff say that NFL players pass it down to those that don't.  There is some heavy ymmv on that I suppose.   There's a high possibility my contacts are full of ####, they do VC for oil refurbs.  It's a bunch of oil big shots that measure their **** by how much they bag for whomever.  There's coordination across schools even.  Almost like an auction process
Of course, every big program has boosters handing out bags. Clemson didn’t get good all of a sudden because dabo just ramped up the Jesus talk. My point is it isn’t spread out across all players on all teams and they are going to rightfully want that going down the line. 

Agree no doubt on the NCAA, but that's the least impactful result...they were on the way out anyway.  The most impactful result IMO is what happens outside of the football.  And bigger picture to American universities in general.
Between never ending tuition increases,  huge student debt loads, ridiculously large university endowments, and large tax burdens to state residents...maybe it's time for some large-scale changes?

Relevant (also appropriate for the cool maps thread)

But it hasn’t been. So they won’t stop planning...just like any business prepping for multiple scenarios.
I'm assuming Capella's :lmao:  had more to do with a March Madness style TV show over the scheduling change than the potentially canceled season.

I'm assuming Capella's :lmao:  had more to do with a March Madness style TV show over the scheduling change than the potentially canceled season.
Yea that was excessive, defiantly...but what the hell. Maybe media inventory that needed use.

Looks like the call is coming soon.

Pat Forde tweeted:  “Sources: Attempts to salvage the fall 2020 college football season are all but over. “It’s gotten to a critical stage," one told SI.  "I think all of us will be meeting with our boards in the coming days. We have work to do that is no fun.””

What was the cost? What were the ratings? What spike in online sales did the SEC and it's members see during it? Optics don't mean anything now.
I am keenly aware of how much money these ghouls want to make. It’s the reason they’re even considering playing and also the reason why they never paid the players. 

I am keenly aware of how much money these ghouls want to make. It’s the reason they’re even considering playing and also the reason why they never paid the players. 
Now the reason is adding anything positive they can to help vs the likely $100M loss.

Now the reason is adding anything positive they can to help vs the likely $100M loss.
Sure but if they don’t have the money in their coffers to cover it, I don’t feel sorry for them. Decades and decades of 80k+ fans at every game, massive tv contracts and merch sales and now they’re are scrambling for money. They can miss me with all this. 

Some schools are bringing students back to campus this week. Imagining the backlash if schools say it's not safe for football with no or limited fans but we want your kid paying dorm/food plan.

The absurdity of this is laughable....but it puts the players in a terrible situation 

@PeteThamel: Source: Big Ten Presidents remain on the cusp of cancelling the season, but the league isn’t ready to announce. The decision is close, but not final. Big Ten programs have been instructed by Commissioner Kevin Warren to essentially go light in practice tomorrow.

gump said:
Sounds like late night CFB players union groundswell on Twitter. Clay Travis must be totally beside himself. 

@Dhobbs92: #WeAreUnited #WeWantToPlay https://twitter.com/Dhobbs92/status/1292672338727641088/photo/1

@slmandel: It appears #WeAreUnited (which started w/ a group of Pac-12 players' demands) and #WeWantToPlay has merged into one P5 players movement. https://twitter.com/NCPANOW/status/1292673156432289793

Users who are viewing this thread