What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (5 Viewers)

I think the Ivy goes first because they have no options but all or nothing...can’t cut non-revenue generating sports...Not the case obviously for the P5, as Stanford showed.

So would OOC games for this year just be flat cancelled, or pushed back a year?

For instance, my Ducks were supposed to host Ohio State in an home and home 20-21.  Does that become home and home 21-22 or do the Ducks just go to Columbus next year and that's it?  Interesting situation.
I don't know, but I suspect it would just be cancelled.  To push it back would require re-working all the other deals in place for several years that follow.  Not that it couldn't be done, but it doesn't seem realistic to me.

8-9 games instead of 12 is going to be a big hit on the tv revenues too. And while there is likely no chance of a playoff or even a full season, how would they pick that when everybody is sticking to their own leagues? 
Mediocre Big 5 schools missing those 3 out of conference wins can wave goodbye to the Beef O'Brady Bowl.    :sadbanana:

Pac-12 supposedly doing the same thing.

What the hell is Notre Dame gonna do this season?  This would mean Wisconsin, USC, and Stanford off their schedule.  If every P5 does this, their remaining schedule is literally just Navy* and Western Michigan.
The talk on local radio yesterday suggested that ND would still play against ACC teams. 

If they modify the season to 8 or 9 games none of these turd bowls are going to occur
A lot of them will never be heard from again. Many are paying their bowl directors 500k a year.....A YEAR, to stage one game in Shreveport or wherever in late-December. 

I am here for the fallout baby. This sport needs a reckoning. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of them will never be heard from again. Many are paying their bowl directors 500k a year.....A YEAR, to stage one game in Shreveport or wherever in late-December. 

I am here for the fallout baby. This sport needs a reckoning. 
I respectfully disagree.  They may cull the herd a little but this is 4+ hours of commercial time for ESPN.  It isn’t about playing a football game, it's really about providing TV programming...and yes fodder for Vegas. ESPN doesn't care if 40k or 12k or 0 fans show up at the Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl. 

Now if teams start balking at sending teams there....that's a different animal.

Pac-12 supposedly doing the same thing.

What the hell is Notre Dame gonna do this season?  This would mean Wisconsin, USC, and Stanford off their schedule.  If every P5 does this, their remaining schedule is literally just Navy* and Western Michigan.
The talk on local radio yesterday suggested that ND would still play against ACC teams. 
I wish they would freeze ND out until they actually join a conference. 

Slapdash said:
I wish they would freeze ND out until they actually join a conference. 
Why, who cares?  ND tends to have a more difficult schedule than your "average" power 5 conference school and maintains a long history of rivalry games.  Seems like what you would want for any football school's schedule?

JaxBill said:
I respectfully disagree.  They may cull the herd a little but this is 4+ hours of commercial time for ESPN.  It isn’t about playing a football game, it's really about providing TV programming...and yes fodder for Vegas. ESPN doesn't care if 40k or 12k or 0 fans show up at the Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl. 

Now if teams start balking at sending teams there....that's a different animal.
If the smaller conferences fade into oblivion, no need for these bowls.  Those OOC games the MAC plays is basically their athletic budget for the year.  Don't know how they and the Sun Belt can keep D1 status.

If the smaller conferences fade into oblivion, no need for these bowls.  Those OOC games the MAC plays is basically their athletic budget for the year.  Don't know how they and the Sun Belt can keep D1 status.
Is that just conjecture?  Pretty sure people like watching football on Tuesday and Wednesday nights....those TV contracts aren't worthless

Is that just conjecture?  Pretty sure people like watching football on Tuesday and Wednesday nights....those TV contracts aren't worthless
To call it "their athletic budget for the year" is obviously an exaggeration, but to those programs, there is very real money to be made in buy games.  That's what I was hinting at on the previous page.  Penn State paid Buffalo $1.2 million for their game last year.  Buffalo's entire athletics budget for 2020-21 academic year is approx. $46 million.  That Penn State buy game would represent 2.6% of the school's entire athletics budget, for example.

In the last academic year available, approximately 21.3% of the school's athletics funding came from mandatory student fees, 43.4% came from NY state, 3.6% came from NCAA distributions.  The rest is made up of a hodgepodge of TV, ticket sales, donors, whatever.

I am fairly confident that a school like Buffalo will survive this, considering the significant state-backing as the only D-1 FBS public school in the state.  But the 5 public schools in Ohio, 3 public schools in Michigan, etc.....I'm not so sure.  Those schools are, and always will be, "little brothers" to the Michigan States and Ohio States and Indianas and Illinoises (?) of the world.  They could be in some seriously dire financial straits.  I don't know enough about the Sun Belt, but I could foresee a similar fate.

There is periodically talk about dropping football here.  A few years ago, we dropped baseball, men's soccer, and some other sports, and there was a very serious discussion around dropping football instead.  It's a lot bigger of a prospect than people think.  If a handful of MAC schools band together and drop football....it's pretty easy to see the entire conference fall apart.

To call it "their athletic budget for the year" is obviously an exaggeration, but to those programs, there is very real money to be made in buy games.  That's what I was hinting at on the previous page.  Penn State paid Buffalo $1.2 million for their game last year.  Buffalo's entire athletics budget for 2020-21 academic year is approx. $46 million.  That Penn State buy game would represent 2.6% of the school's entire athletics budget, for example.

In the last academic year available, approximately 21.3% of the school's athletics funding came from mandatory student fees, 43.4% came from NY state, 3.6% came from NCAA distributions.  The rest is made up of a hodgepodge of TV, ticket sales, donors, whatever.

I am fairly confident that a school like Buffalo will survive this, considering the significant state-backing as the only D-1 FBS public school in the state.  But the 5 public schools in Ohio, 3 public schools in Michigan, etc.....I'm not so sure.  Those schools are, and always will be, "little brothers" to the Michigan States and Ohio States and Indianas and Illinoises (?) of the world.  They could be in some seriously dire financial straits.  I don't know enough about the Sun Belt, but I could foresee a similar fate.

There is periodically talk about dropping football here.  A few years ago, we dropped baseball, men's soccer, and some other sports, and there was a very serious discussion around dropping football instead.  It's a lot bigger of a prospect than people think.  If a handful of MAC schools band together and drop football....it's pretty easy to see the entire conference fall apart.
:thumbup:

Initial reaction given a "gun to the head" what would I do would be to cancel all fall sports except for football and whatever women's sport costs the least.  Keep TV contracts and reduce/eliminate attendance.

Rinse/repeat as necessary for spring following fall.

I hope the Power 5 break away if the G5 starts suing because of missed games with Covid.   That will pretty much ruin the G5 schools.  Be careful what you wish for.
I’ve argued this many times before, but the P5s need the G5s (and FCS, to a certain extent), no matter how much grandstanding they do. This article points out why ... the value of hosting buy games far outweighs the payout to the other school, obviously in a normal, non-pandemic scenario.

If the P5s break away and go on their own, kiss all those seventh (and even eighth) home games each season goodbye. Obviously conference payouts and TV revenue could make up for any lost ticket sales, but your local economy takes a big hit as well. You’ll see it this season if games are played without fans.

P5s playing only P5s essentially becomes the NFL from a scheduling model standpoint. There’s no other way the math can work ... unless you suddenly develop some kind of hierarchy among the P5s themselves. In order for someone to play seven home games, someone else gets only five. Who is going to sign up for that deal?

I’ve argued this many times before, but the P5s need the G5s (and FCS, to a certain extent), no matter how much grandstanding they do. This article points out why ... the value of hosting buy games far outweighs the payout to the other school, obviously in a normal, non-pandemic scenario.

If the P5s break away and go on their own, kiss all those seventh (and even eighth) home games each season goodbye. Obviously conference payouts and TV revenue could make up for any lost ticket sales, but your local economy takes a big hit as well. You’ll see it this season if games are played without fans.

P5s playing only P5s essentially becomes the NFL from a scheduling model standpoint. There’s no other way the math can work ... unless you suddenly develop some kind of hierarchy among the P5s themselves. In order for someone to play seven home games, someone else gets only five. Who is going to sign up for that deal?
Good point...but we're also seeing a huge pivot to scheduling OOC Home & Homes with the big boys.  Will that make up for some lost non-P5 games (and bring in more revenue to the host town)?  They'll have to be aggressive since a H&H will only cover 1 home game over 2 years....and probably still need some non-P5 schools like USF.

Good point...but we're also seeing a huge pivot to scheduling OOC Home & Homes with the big boys.  Will that make up for some lost non-P5 games (and bring in more revenue to the host town)?  They'll have to be aggressive since a H&H will only cover 1 home game over 2 years....and probably still need some non-P5 schools like USF.
I've long thought that schools in the P5 should consider scheduling the lower tier schools of other conferences.  For example, a B1G team like PSU/OSU/scUM should work Vandy, NC State, Iowa St, etc. into the mix.  Essentially, they're not much of a step up from FCS opponents, but you can make a case that the schedules are getting tougher with about the same risk of upset.  Schools like Iowa State probably aren't worried about having 5 home games. :shrug:

JT Daniels (UGA) tweeted:

Thank you to the NCAA for granting me immediate eligibility and allowing me to play football this fall. I will not comment on the waiver or transfer, but look forward to a great 2020 season with my teammates.
Who wants to tell him?  :whistle:

Some MLB players have elected to sit out the season.  It sounds like the NFL and NFLPA are at least talking about giving players the option to sit out.  Will college players other than those that decide to sit out and prepare for the 2021 draft have a "good" option?

I've long thought that schools in the P5 should consider scheduling the lower tier schools of other conferences.  For example, a B1G team like PSU/OSU/scUM should work Vandy, NC State, Iowa St, etc. into the mix.  Essentially, they're not much of a step up from FCS opponents, but you can make a case that the schedules are getting tougher with about the same risk of upset.  Schools like Iowa State probably aren't worried about having 5 home games. :shrug:
These aren't the droids you're looking for.

NC State's average home attendance for 2019 was over 56k and Iowa St just under 60k.  Those numbers aren't insignificant and higher than the averages for 7 Big Ten schools. :shrug:   Most P5 schools will want 6 home games at minimum and many (most?) have 7.  (ISU has 7 scheduled for 2020.  They lost Iowa which would have been an away game this year.  NC State also has 7.)

I left Vandy out.  :mellow:  (7 home games)

Last edited by a moderator:
WDIK2 said:
These aren't the droids you're looking for.

NC State's average home attendance for 2019 was over 56k and Iowa St just under 60k.  Those numbers aren't insignificant and higher than the averages for 7 Big Ten schools. :shrug:   Most P5 schools will want 6 home games at minimum and many (most?) have 7.  (ISU has 7 scheduled for 2020.  They lost Iowa which would have been an away game this year.  NC State also has 7.)

I left Vandy out.  :mellow:  (7 home games)
If OSU pays ISU enough money, they will find a way to live with one less home game.  The fans OTOH...

This is definitely escalating the break. The NCAA doesn’t seem to be leading anything.
https://sports.yahoo.com/off-the-mark-emmerts-leadership-void-marks-new-normal-for-ncaa-211535303.html

"The pandemic offered a time for (NCAA Prez) Emmert to show leadership, collaboration and vision. But he’s remained largely hidden, with officials around the sport noting that the role of NCAA chief medical officer Brian Hainline being one of the few useful things the organization has offered during the pandemic. [...] There’s no better way to summarize Mark Emmert’s career than the silence on the other end of the phone when you ask an athletic administrator a simple question: '“What is the most significant thing Mark Emmert has done in 10 years?'" 

https://sports.yahoo.com/off-the-mark-emmerts-leadership-void-marks-new-normal-for-ncaa-211535303.html

"The pandemic offered a time for (NCAA Prez) Emmert to show leadership, collaboration and vision. But he’s remained largely hidden, with officials around the sport noting that the role of NCAA chief medical officer Brian Hainline being one of the few useful things the organization has offered during the pandemic. [...] There’s no better way to summarize Mark Emmert’s career than the silence on the other end of the phone when you ask an athletic administrator a simple question: '“What is the most significant thing Mark Emmert has done in 10 years?'" 
Dude's an empty suit.

Could independents play each other?

In fact, serious conversations among athletic directors at the independents without a formal scheduling agreement such as fellow independent Notre Dame has with the ACC have already taken place, UMass AD Ryan Bamford told the Deseret News on Tuesday. The other independents are UConn, Army, Liberty and New Mexico State.

UMass already plays all four of those teams this season. They also just came off a four-year deal with BYU (including a pair of hoop games) and even played at ND in 2015.

Will be interesting to see if the indies can expand it to some kind of H/H arrangement (minus ND, of course). Liberty and NMSU did it last year, and UMass-UConn actually did it in 1998 after BU dropped its program and both teams needed to add a game.

https://www.sportico.com/2020/leagues/college-sports/espn-college-football-billion-1234609615/

Last year ESPN’s family of networks televised 282 games and sold $792.5 million in ads, according to Standard Media Index. To put that in perspective, ESPN’s NFL package only generated $314.8 million. Those numbers don’t include the college games televised by ESPN’s ACC Network and SEC Network, nor the plethora of other matchups streamed on ESPN+, its digital service, which costs $5 per month and is popular among football fans.

https://www.sportico.com/2020/leagues/college-sports/espn-college-football-billion-1234609615/

Last year ESPN’s family of networks televised 282 games and sold $792.5 million in ads, according to Standard Media Index. To put that in perspective, ESPN’s NFL package only generated $314.8 million. Those numbers don’t include the college games televised by ESPN’s ACC Network and SEC Network, nor the plethora of other matchups streamed on ESPN+, its digital service, which costs $5 per month and is popular among football fans.
From the above link, why the minor bowls might not be dead yet

Postseason bowls fill an especially important role for ESPN. They occur at a slow time in the sports calendar, and at a critical time for advertisers, when people are home, inside and thinking about holiday gifts. That means mid-day, mid-week bowl games that draw 1 million viewers are actually strong business propositions for the company.

From the above link, why the minor bowls might not be dead yet

Postseason bowls fill an especially important role for ESPN. They occur at a slow time in the sports calendar, and at a critical time for advertisers, when people are home, inside and thinking about holiday gifts. That means mid-day, mid-week bowl games that draw 1 million viewers are actually strong business propositions for the company.
Here's some bowl talk, nothing too ground-breaking.  https://apnews.com/cab95bb4e98357cf600b11d224f4345f?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP_Top25&utm_source=Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread