What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we continue the discussion about masks? (2 Viewers)

I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp.

We live in a country with unrestricted borders.  An out-of-control pandemic in any state is a risk to the entire country - not just that state.

If you live in a county with 0 cases, the best way to keep it at 0 cases, is follow through with masks and social distancing - until the country gets the pandemic under control.
You mean until the disease is gone right?

Anybody ever buy KF94 masks? They are Korean version of the N95. They look like they would be better at keeping fog out of your glasses. 

• Thinking
Reactions: rct
beef said:
Nebraska restaurant server receives 5-cent tip and a note slamming masks

“Get rid of masks, tips will be bigger,” the note said, just above where the customer wrote in only 5 cents on the $38.15 meal.
People are like this.  We had a customer come in the store today despite 2 or 3 signs on the door saying staff only, ask if we are allowing dine in, and storm off pissed to the point of damn near breaking our door when we said no and politely asked him to leave and we could take his order outside.   Probably still get 1-2 a day swearing at one of the workers.  

ETA:  Ok, maybe not swearing at them, but swearing as they walk away and/or getting pissed about it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
WI anti-mask protest

Event emcee Paris Procopis compared the mask mandate to the beginning of the Holocaust.

“It was just a train trip,” Procopis said. “When they were telling people to get on trains, ‘Oh, you’re just going.’ You know, when they were sending people to concentration camps and murdering them by millions. I think they are trying to see how much they can get away with.”

:mellow:

99% of people I know are pro-mask.   This feels like an emotional issue that the left clings too to justify why the other side is so bad, but it's really a non--issue for most of the country as far as I can tell.  There will be always be extremists, but you block their rhetoric out just like you would on any other topic.

99% of people I know are pro-mask.   This feels like an emotional issue that the left clings too to justify why the other side is so bad, but it's really a non--issue for most of the country as far as I can tell.  There will be always be extremists, but you block their rhetoric out just like you would on any other topic.
That 1% includes politicians such as POTUS and Gohmert. And Herman Cain.

It is definitely not 99% and it definitely isn't exclusively a left/right thing. It is more regional than anything I would say. I was in WI this past weekend. Certain parts were 99% mask compliant. Other parts were 10%. 

It is definitely not 99%
It's 99% of people Trip claims to know.

My guess is that Trip must know a lot of Democrats.

Gallup poll results: 61% of Democrats always wear a mask, compared to just 24% of Republicans

It shouldn't be a partisan issue, but it is.

It is definitely not 99% and it definitely isn't exclusively a left/right thing. It is more regional than anything I would say. I was in WI this past weekend. Certain parts were 99% mask compliant. Other parts were 10%. 
I was on a road trip as well.  In cities seems to be about 80% while rural areas 40%.

• Thinking
I was on a road trip as well.  In cities seems to be about 80% while rural areas 40%.
I would have loved 40%. I was in Green Bay area. Grocery store I went to was almost universal. I think I only saw one person without one, but they had it around their neck. As I got further south, I went to an RV place to buy a camper (zero people wearing it. 1/2 dozen employees, and another 4 or 5 customers). Stopped in a gas station to get gas and buy beer (nobody but me wearing a mask. 2 employees, 1/2 dozen customers). Campground - while we (me and my 7 and 9 year olds)  did not wear masks around the site, when we went to use restroom, we did. Nobody else did.

Normally I don’t respond to your posts but after reading this one I thought it worthy of a detailed answer. First off, I hope for the best for you and your girlfriend and her son. Hopefully you stay healthy and/or recover. Here’s what it means to you: 

1. You stand a better chance than you did before of catching the virus yourself. Hopefully you won’t. 

2. if you catch it, you may die. Odds are low, but not non-existent. Obviously we all hope it doesn’t happen.

3. if you catch it, you may suffer permanent damage to your body, including liver and/or kidney function. Scientists don’t quite understand all of this yet. Again the odds are low, though higher than dying. 

4. If you catch it you may suffer worse than any sickness you have ever had, for at least 2-3 weeks, and even possibly need hospital care. Odds of this are about 10-20% based on my understanding, though they may be much lower or higher; we just don’t know due to insufficient testing. 

5. If you catch it you have the chance to spread it to a high risk person, over the age of 70 or with diabetes or heart problems, (sometimes unknown to them) which could cause serious illness or death to that person or persons. Please be very careful and if you have it, you need to quarantine yourself for at least 2 weeks. 

Again hopefully you don’t suffer any of this. Best wishes to you. 

I was tested and of course, it came back negative. That's the nasal test, not the antibody test.

I'm 51, good shape, no underlying conditions .... covid-19 has a chances about like the common flu of impacting me, and as little chance of killing me

Here is the kicker ... I'm 3 weeks out of a negative test. I can show that negative test to anyone and they feel safe. Funny thing is ... I could now be positive, I could have been positive the next day from taking the test. i'd literally have to be tested at least every other day to really keep up knowing if I has covid 19 virus or not

oh and who really thought home made cloth masks that go unwashed weeks at a time really worked ?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/us/duke-university-face-mask-test-trnd/index.html?fbclid=IwAR09aX9e6K-0yz3MZT-6jWDxS7r6SwACaL-QOUroD-CgWwhzSlIjlKvAq1o

• Sad
Here is the kicker ... I'm 3 weeks out of a negative test. I can show that negative test to anyone and they feel safe. Funny thing is ... I could now be positive, I could have been positive the next day from taking the test. i'd literally have to be tested at least every other day to really keep up knowing if I has covid 19 virus or not
Pretty good argument for really ramping up testing and contact tracing on a national level.

cotton masks, which many people have been making at home, also performed well.
"very simple masks, like these homemade cotton masks, do really well to stop the majority of these respiratory droplets"

It's hard to know what to even say about this without getting banned on here.  America is so unique in this
I agree and I'll leave it at thus, amazing how Trump and so many of his supporters have MDs. 

Before the "gotcha", no I don't have one. That's why I listen to experts in the field. I also bring my car to the mechanic when it needs work. I'm not a know it all. 

Masks are about protecting other people, not ones self, so it's very telling when someone decides not to wear one in a public space. You care about you (not literally you) and not much for others. The fact were doing mask break downs about which ones sucks is depressing. We're trying brother. 

Masks are about protecting other people, not ones self, so it's very telling when someone decides not to wear one in a public space. You care about you (not literally you) and not much for others. 
Yup.  I go through the hassle to protect others and hope/expect others to not be selfish and do the same.  Unfortunately we'll never get our arms around this situation as long as people don't wear them.  

Masks are about protecting other people, not ones self, so it's very telling when someone decides not to wear one in a public space. You care about you (not literally you) and not much for others. The fact were doing mask break downs about which ones sucks is depressing. We're trying brother. 
and most masks people wear are dirty, poorly worn and not suggested for indoor use

so the people thinking they're protecting others really are not and the people feeling safe are not really safe

Right on. Thanks for the info. 
sure thing

next time you're in public just remember you're not really protected at all - great false sense of security I guess for people but if you're older than 60 or have conditions you probably shouldn't go into public and take the risk

but that's a choice those people make - not my choice, theirs 

sure thing

next time you're in public just remember you're not really protected at all - great false sense of security I guess for people but if you're older than 60 or have conditions you probably shouldn't go into public and take the risk

but that's a choice those people make - not my choice, theirs 
I'm going to continue to wear my mask safely. I probably won't remember your "just remember" reminder. It probably doesn't suffice as far as health standards but I do enjoy making my neighbors feel better even if the the science is wacky. It's not a a big imposition to me. I love my  community, if a mask makes them feel better ill wear one. 

I enjoy treating people w respect. My community and neighbors mainly. But that's just me. Even if they don't work. 

Is this post from March? I haven't seen anyone wearing a homemade mask in 6 months.
Tons of cloth masks in NYC (& mask usage is super high in Manhattan below 110th and north Brooklyn.) I’m about 50% surgical & 50% one of a few homemade double clothes I have been gifted. Usually only wear gloves on the bike, subway or when I volunteer (often.)

I’m also positive for antibodies but that doesn’t factor in; we don’t know for sure. Yet.

Users who are viewing this thread