What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vote on the new Washington Redskins name (1 Viewer)

Vote on these potential Washington Redskins names

• Braves

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Federals

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Red Tails

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Senators

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Warriors

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Hogs

Votes: 46 24.0%
  • Red Hawks

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • Bravehearts

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
Red Tails feels too perfect for them to actually make the smart decision to use it. I’m fully expecting they’ll do something boring akin to Senators or Americans or whatever. 

Has anyone asked what Native Americans would want the name to be? I know it'd be difficult to get agreement but there would have to be some consensus that could be reached, no?

Are we expecting the team to completely re-brand or just change the name?  I'd say the former makes the most sense.

Like when the University of North Dakota dropped the Sioux name, I thought the term "Natives" would be agreeable as what I've read that's the generally agreeable term to describe indigenous people.

I'm surprised the Chiefs haven't been put under a similar microscope. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would people object if they renamed themselves the Washington Indians? You could essentially keep most of the native references (minus the helmet logo), and just replace the slur name with something more palatable. Or is Indian a slur too these days? I understand it’s not the correct term in relation to where the natives actually lived. I’d argue “Native Americans” is just as incorrect as Indians. It was “America” just as much as it was “India” when only the natives lived here... 

Would people object if they renamed themselves the Washington Indians? You could essentially keep most of the native references (minus the helmet logo), and just replace the slur name with something more palatable. Or is Indian a slur too these days? I understand it’s not the correct term in relation to where the natives actually lived. I’d argue “Native Americans” is just as incorrect as Indians. It was “America” just as much as it was “India” when only the natives lived here... 
Dude. 

probably Senators

I nominate the Raptors. First, the Raptor is one of the US military's most advanced fighter jets and second raptors were one of the fastest and most aggressive dinosaurs.  

Really?

https://twitter.com/Indians/status/1279211112769216512

I have no idea what makes the most sense in terms of keeping the theme. I worked within a federal government agency for 10 years, and we were required to go through various Civil Rights awareness trainings, seminars, workshops, etc., throughout the year. I can't say that this is the right answer, or if there even is one, but FWIW the latest official designation for this group of people, within US government agencies anyway, is "American Indian". I don't think that helps us with renaming the franchise, but just thought this was worth mentioning.

Well, it will be available since a professional baseball team is giving it up due to it being deemed inappropriate. Could probably work a sweet deal with them to get all their paraphernalia and we'd be all set for day one sales. 

Sarlakticacid said:
The Snydes 

where everyone gets off?
How about the Six and Tens?

It could lead to a great tradition where the fans can party each season after winning their 7th game.

Washington Machines.  

They could be sponsored by Tide and Whirlpool.   Maybe Downy.  

From the Washington Post:

Rivera said he and Snyder have been talking about a name change for more than a month, roughly around the time tribal leaders, politicians and others started their latest push for Snyder to reverse his long-standing policy and eliminate a name that is a dictionary-defined racial slur. He added that Snyder started speaking in earnest with NFL officials about the move 2½ weeks ago and suggested the owner is ready to make the move.

“We came up with a couple of names — two of them I really like,” Rivera said, declining to reveal those possibilities.

Rivera said he believes the most important criteria for a new name is that it is respectful of Native American culture and traditions and also is a tribute to the military. The son of an Army officer, Rivera was raised on military bases; he noted that many Native Americans serve in the military, and he believes the new name should reflect that. And he indicated Snyder agrees with that.

Was there an Indian equivalent to the Tuskegee Airmen? That would fit what Rivera is saying.

Thunderbirds would also fit.

Interesting. Doesn't roll of the tongue, but seems like the kind of thing they're looking at. I'm really thinking Thunderbirds is on the list.

I would wager on the Warriors, as Snyder trademarked the name when the controvery initially started 
warriors, as a name, no good.

check Wayne State University and see how they lost out.

once a Tartar, always a Tartar!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mascotdb.com%2Fteams%2Fwayne-state-university-tartars&psig=AOvVaw3OBpKMB7YXuTJUZHiK3Lgp&ust=1594165546436000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPiFzNLnueoCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAQ

Athletics[edit]

Main article: Wayne State Warriors

See also: Wayne State Warriors football and Wayne State Warriors women's ice hockey

The school's intercollegiate athletic program was established in 1917 by Director of Athletics David L. Holmes, who initially coached all sports. His track teams were nationally known into the 1950s; in his first 10 years, he produced two Olympians from the school's Victorian-era gym. Although he had major ambitions for Wayne and scheduled such teams as Notre Dame and Penn State in the 1920s, the lack of facilities and money for athletics kept the program small.

A student poll selected the name of "Tartars" for the school's teams in 1927. In 1999, the university changed the name to the "Warriors", due to the general feeling that the Tartar name was dated and most people were not familiar with the name's historical significance

Would "Arrows" or "Archers" be derogatory in any way? I think either would be cool. 

https://blog.nativehope.org/connection-and-empowerment-through-the-teachings-of-the-bow-and-arrow

Washington Archers sounds better the more I think about it. Archery was nearly universal among native Americans. You wouldn't have to change much, if any imagery either. You're just changing the definition you're associating with the image to something more apropos. 
Way too close to "Archuleta" for every Redskins fan to tolerate.

Washington Windtalkers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windtalkers

"Returning to the U.S., Yahzee, his wife, and his son George Washington Yahzee, sit atop Point Mesa in Monument Valley, Arizona, and, wearing the sacred necklaces and other Navajo ceremonial dress, performs the Navajo ritual of paying respects to Enders."

Bolded potentially kills 2 birds with 1 stone, does it not? I mean, if the Navajo soldier actually named his son 'George Washington', I think that kind of makes a point all it's own...

Why not just use the one that actually won the design contest back in the day?

https://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/community-contest-rebrand-washington-redskins-253079/entries/1769

Keeps the color theme and allows designers to work off the R in the previous name.

I can see Hogs as a good one too but you gotta make a real good design for that... maybe a football playing guy with a tough pig face?
I like these two suggestions the best. That logo is a solid step, likely can be made slicker but it's the right idea to associate the name with what it's intended to honor.

All else fails, you could go with the Washington Hellbenders -- named after a species of giant salamanders (Cryptobranchus alleganiensis) native to a swath of Eastern states including the DC area.

Much more tongue-friendly than the Washington Kenk's Ampipods after a truly native species of crustacean found only in DC/MD.

Washington Lobbyists (too close to home, unlikely)

Washington Me's (Talladega Nights inspired)

Washington Ragdolls (an actual animal)

Washington Red Wolves

Washington Rats

Washington Rattlesnakes

Washington Raccoons

Scrap them all. I heard there are Amercian bald Eagle advocates unhappy about the cultural appropriation of Eagles in Philadelphia. 

We have gone too far.

Hogs .... please, HOGS

I'd also vote for Washington Swines, Washington Vermin or Washington Scoundrels in honor of our elected officials :(  

Considered a racist name as a Native American reference. Would have to get rid of all of the feathers off those logos and remove any Native American references. I believe there was a college that changed their name from Warriors due to it being called racist 
Marquette (Milwaukee, WI)

Marquette's intercollegiate athletic teams were the "Warriors" from May 1954 to July 1994, when the nickname was changed to the "Golden Eagles," on the grounds that previous logos had been disrespectful to Native Americans.

Users who are viewing this thread