Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Eephus

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter

Recommended Posts

The 90s is a vast wasteland for me, so I'm just trying to get through them, but this gem sticks out for me.  Not sure how a French language song is going to do in my bar Grove Shack.  But I love this groove, even if I know not of what they sing.

33.xx Makeda - Les Nubians (1998)

 

I will gladly take the B-Side Les portes du souvenir

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

I rode my bike to the pub tonight. Then drank there from 3:30-10:30 and Mrs. NV came and picked me up because she was going to sleep and didn't trust me to get home safely via bike.

I happily took the ride but I was very willing to crash my bike on the way home and call for a ride anyway :shrug:

Spotlighting?

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My shtick isn't samples or remakes, I promise.  Just trying to get through the 90s schlock the most soothing way I can...

34.xx Georgy Porgy - Eric Benét feat. Faith Evans (1999)

 

Edited by Hov34
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This should have been a much bigger hit than it was, but in 1978, if you weren't disco, you had an uphill battle on the charts. The B-side is one of Oates' best (and the whole album is excellent). 

Round 37: Daryl Hall and John Oates -- It's a Laugh

Year: 1978

Album: Along the Red Ledge

B-Side: Serious Music

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Filling out my 80s with a song that was big time ballsy at the time. Yo Mama selects:

 

37.ym - The Ramones - Bonzo Goes to Bitburg (1985)

b-side is Daytime Dilemma (Dangers of Love)

 

This song was written to criticize Reagan’s controversial official state visit to the Bitburg cemetery for German WWII soldiers. The controversy was due to the fact that also buried there were a number of Waffen-SS soldiers. 
 

The incredible troll job came from calling the president Bonzo after the chimp he starred with in Bedtime for Bonzo back in the 50s. 
 

You've got to pick up the pieces
C'mon, sort your trash
You better pull yourself back together
Maybe you've got too much cash
Better call, call the law
When you gonna turn yourself in? Yeah
You're a politician
Don't become one of Hitler's children

Bonzo goes to Bitburg then goes out for a cup of tea
As I watched it on TV somehow it really bothered me
Drank in all the bars in town for an extended foreign policy
Pick up the pieces

My brain is hanging upside down
I need something to slow me down

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

One that surprised me out of the blue. Either a @John Bender or Major recommendation special from the ***official*** hip hop thread.

Round 37.xx

Artist: 21 Savage ft. J. Cole

Song: a lot

Year: 2018

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

One that surprised me out of the blue. Either a @John Bender or Major recommendation special from the ***official*** hip hop thread.

Round 37.xx

Artist: 21 Savage ft. J. Cole

Song: a lot

Year: 2018

My kids introduced this one to me. I like it .......... a lot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Quote Tweet

Observer

@AllOutBubblegum

· 2h

@thedavidcrosby What's your favorite protest song for these times?

 

David Crosby

@thedavidcrosby ·

2h

Ohio

 

ETA:  I just saw this exchange appear on my twitter timeline ...I put the question on top because the nested quotes are tougher to follow if I just copy/paste.

Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hov34 said:

My shtick isn't samples or remakes, I promise.  Just trying to get through the 90s schlock the most soothing way I can...

34.xx Georgy Porgy - Eric Benét feat. Faith Evans (1999)

 

Second appearance of Faith Evans in your juke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36.ee - The Ballad of Thunder Road - Robert Mitchum (1958)

Mitchum wrote and performed this song for his moonshining movie Thunder Road.  I saw it sometime in the last decade--it was entertaining but not particularly memorable.  Mitchum's version wasn't in the film, a lame acoustic version ran over the opening credits.

It's a Rockabilly number that chugs right along. As a singer, Mitchum does better on the verse than when he shifts to a higher register in the chorus.  His voice is pretty thin up top so a backup chorus is brought in which doesn't help matters at all.  A Bluegrass version by Jim & Jesse was a minor Country hit a decade later.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

37.xx Genius of Love, Tom Tom Club (1981)

Just heard this yesterday - always loved this song. It’s aged well too - still holds up today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Eephus said:
1 hour ago, Hov34 said:

My shtick isn't samples or remakes, I promise.  Just trying to get through the 90s schlock the most soothing way I can...

34.xx Georgy Porgy - Eric Benét feat. Faith Evans (1999)

 

Second appearance of Faith Evans in your juke

Is that not allowed?  I'll throw it back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these the 4 years we can double dip from?

1981

1969

1973

1971

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

Is that not allowed?  I'll throw it back?

No it's fine.  I just remembered you drafting one of her songs earlier

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

Are these the 4 years we can double dip from?

1981

1969

1973

1971

Yup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Eephus said:

36.ee - The Ballad of Thunder Road - Robert Mitchum (1958)

Mitchum wrote and performed this song for his moonshining movie Thunder Road.  I saw it sometime in the last decade--it was entertaining but not particularly memorable.  Mitchum's version wasn't in the film, a lame acoustic version ran over the opening credits.

It's a Rockabilly number that chugs right along. As a singer, Mitchum does better on the verse than when he shifts to a higher register in the chorus.  His voice is pretty thin up top so a backup chorus is brought in which doesn't help matters at all.  A Bluegrass version by Jim & Jesse was a minor Country hit a decade later.

 

Would be good shtick for a "Actor" singing Jukebox.

[listens to this song and Bruce Willis song]

 

Wait, that's a horrible idea, n/m

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Hov34 said:
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Second appearance of Faith Evans in your juke

Is that not allowed?  I'll throw it back?

I could almost go all Todd - haven't checked ...but there wouldn't be too many blank years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Yup

Wait. We can still double dip the free play years? That confused me. I thought they had to be used by the next roll.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockaction said:

Wait. We can still double dip the free play years? That confused me. I thought they had to be used by the next roll.

This is correct.

1973 is the only one that can be used now unless you're making up skipped picks from earlier rounds.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eephus said:
4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Wait. We can still double dip the free play years? That confused me. I thought they had to be used by the next roll.

This is correct.

1973 is the only one that can be used now unless you're making up skipped picks from earlier rounds.

seriously ...what?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2020 at 9:28 PM, Eephus said:

Free Plays:  To make things easier for people who don't listen to current music, there will be five Free Plays made available during the draft to enable drafters to pick a second song from a specified year.  After rounds 15, 20, 25 and 30, we'll roll dice between the most popular years (i.e. years with the most selected songs) to choose the Free Play year.  For example, if 1969 is the Free Play, all drafters will be able to choose a second song from that year.  The Free Play must be used before it's time for the next roll.  A year rolled for the Free Play is eliminated from consideration from future Free Play rounds.

The first Free Play roll after round #15 will involve the three most popular years (including ties) from the draft up to that point.  The next three Free Play rolls after rounds #20, 25 and 30 will be modified to include the top five, seven and ten years respectively.

After round 40, all drafters get one individual Free Play to double up on a year of their choosing.

Free Plays are optional.  If you want to be a :nerd:and draft songs from 50 different years instead of 45, be my guest.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Eephus said:

This is correct.

1973 is the only one that can be used now unless you're making up skipped picks from earlier rounds.

Wait...you mean '71 is the only one that can be used, right?

It's '71 until Round 40, then you get a free play from any year. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

37.ee - Streets of Philadelphia - Betty Lavette (2008)

Springsteen's Oscar-winning original is a great song but is dated by its trip hop beats.  Lavette's cover strips back the arrangement to a Gospel piano and upright bass.  Her soulful vocal brings out the pain and loss in the lyrics.

The song is from the 2008 compilation Song of America where various artists took their shots at 50 songs related to American history.  The record was the brainchild of former Attorney General Janet Reno who got an Executive Producer credit on it.

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Wait...you mean '71 is the only one that can be used, right?

It's '71 until Round 40, then you get a free play from any year. 

This is correct.

1971 is currently in play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

35.xx Groove Me - King Floyd  (1971)

Actually that was the B-Side, but I will take the A-Side which I think is O.K.

Not nearly as good, but solid:

What Our Love Needs

 

Edited by Hov34
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36.xx Don't Disturb This Groove - The System (1987)

 

The B-Side sounds like it should have been on the Beverly Hills' Cop soundtrack so I will pass.  So much synth!

Back to back songs with Groove in the title! 

Enjoy the rest of the Grooves @ Groove Shack

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

36.xx Don't Disturb This Groove - The System (1987)

 

The B-Side sounds like it should have been on the Beverly Hills' Cop soundtrack so I will pass.  So much synth!

Back to back songs with Groove in the title! 

Enjoy the rest of the Grooves @ Groove Shack

 

Such an underrated song. Great pick!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downtown, let’s go downtown 

Downtown at night

Downtown, hear the band playing 

Downtown, all right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hov34 said:

Would be good shtick for a "Actor" singing Jukebox.

[listens to this song and Bruce Willis song]

 

Wait, that's a horrible idea, n/m

 

Juliette Lewis' band wasn't bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 6:53 PM, Binky The Doormat said:

34.03: Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve (1997)

WILD CARD!!!!  I have gone through 33 consecutive year picks ...no more.  The 90s are such a #### show, I have now shed these burdensome, and overly restrictive, self-inflicted rules and give myself permission to roam free and unencumbered throughout the remaining years of this song journey.  

enjoy this soaring one-hit wonder.

 

Took their album in the last draft.  Nice one.

I got up around 1:30 this morning and walked 50+ miles.  Eating pizza and catching up now.  

Yes, that's what I said.

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Took their album in the last draft.  Nice one.

I got up around 1:30 this morning and walked 50+ miles.  Eating pizza and catching up now.  

Yes, that's what I said.

Damn, that's awesome and impressive!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Round 35 is dedicated to Krista, I know how much she'll appreciate this:

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends (1968)

It's just too bad he used up all his positive covering the Beatles juju on this classic. Cause his other attempts. Woof.

I hate you.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wanted Cannonball here but since I missed that going with this instead.

Round 37Low- Cracker 1993

 

Edited by Raging weasel
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36th Round  Elvis Costello - Brilliant Mistake (1986)

Originally I intended to take something from Spike since 1989 is a dry year for me, but I realized it is hard to know which songs Paul contributed to there, and since my theme is "Beatles minus Beatles," I can't very well have Paul on any of my selections.  I know "Veronica," "Pads Paws and Claws," and "This Town" would be verboten, but I decided not to risk it with the others.

Speaking of which, the collaboration aspect here is that Paul and Costello collaborated a lot.  Did I mention my 50+ miles today?  Anyway, I'm too tired to list them all out.  Some of this will be covered well in my upcoming thread.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Veronica

I knew that was extraordinarily humane song without pandering or schmaltz even when I was fifteen or so. That's actually what got me familiar with Elvis Costello. Otherwise, I would have never had heard of him.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

37th Round  B.B. King and Eric Clapton - Ten Long Years (2000)

Listen, I am not a fan of Eric Clapton as a musician, and even less so as a human.  But I can't leave out someone who collaborated so much not only with individual Beatles but on Beatles songs themselves.  Luckily, he made a record in 2000 with someone I do love as a musician (jury out on "as a person"), so I can take something I enjoy for my jukebox.  There are only two songs on this album, Riding with the King, where Clapton doesn't share any lead vocals...so I took one of those.  

I'm not going to list out all the Clapton collaborations.  Obviously he collaborated frequently on songs, on albums, on drugs, and on wives.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockaction said:

I knew that was extraordinarily humane song without pandering or schmaltz even when I was fifteen or so. That's actually what got me familiar with Elvis Costello. Otherwise, I would have never had heard of him.

That's a truly lovely (and apt) way to describe the song.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clapton, on the other hand, I never dug. Not even Tears From Heaven. I felt extraordinarily bad for him and perhaps even sym- or empathetic, but Clapton is way down on the list of stars of that era for me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

That's a truly lovely (and apt) way to describe the song.

Why, thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Northern Voice said:

I was a bit drunk when I was posting in here last night. I'm sure no one noticed. 

Good chat @rockaction

Thanks, man. Likewise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raging weasel said:

Juliette Lewis' band wasn't bad

Her music was just aiight but she put on a fierce live show. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Clapton, on the other hand, I never dug. Not even Tears From Heaven. I felt extraordinarily bad for him and perhaps even sym- or empathetic, but Clapton is way down on the list of stars of that era for me.

I know you didn't read my write-up, but I feel the same way.  Wait!  You actually do read my write-ups!

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, krista4 said:
22 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Clapton, on the other hand, I never dug. Not even Tears From Heaven. I felt extraordinarily bad for him and perhaps even sym- or empathetic, but Clapton is way down on the list of stars of that era for me.

I know you didn't read my write-up, but I feel the same way.  Wait!  You actually do read my write-ups!

I always found Clapton overrated.  The only record of his that I really love is Derek and the Dominoes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.