What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite post-Beatles Beatles songs: 291-1. (1 Viewer)

Crimson Dynamo a supervillain too, I assume?  If I'd known it was about super-villains, I would have ranked it higher!  :lol:
Getting back to this because I wanted to make sure my memory was correct here: Titanium Man and Crimson Dynamo were Soviet agents and originally foes of Iron Man. But by the time the song was written they were police in Communist Vietnam. 

---INTERLUDE – Kisses On The Bottom (2012)---

---INTERLUDE – Choba B CCCP (1988)---

---INTERLUDE – John Lennon and Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band - Some Time In New York City (1972)---

---INTERLUDE – Wings - Wings At The Speed Of Sound (1976)---

---INTERLUDE – Paul McCartney and Wings – Red Rose Speedway (1973)---

---INTERLUDE – McCartney II (1980)---

---INTERLUDE – Linda McCartney (September 24, 1941 – April 17, 1998) and Run Devil Run (1999)---

---INTERLUDE – George Harrison (February 25, 1943 – November 29, 2001)---

---INTERLUDE – Wings – Wild Life (1971)---

---INTERLUDE – Walls And Bridges (1974)---

---INTERLUDE – Living In The Material World (1973)---

I know this was a sad day with nothing more than a few weaker songs.  So I give you, earlier than expected, my Flowers In The Dirt write-up!  Back with the songs tomorrow.  Also, we are again predicted to lose power tonight.

---INTERLUDE – Flowers In The Dirt (1989)---
somebody help me - i'm addicted to ' ludes!

Don't know if any of y'all were listening to Breakfast with the Beatles this morning when it began, but Chris Carter was giving his daily rundown of all the obscure recognition days that are "celebrated" today, and, no joke, he was able to name a Paul McCartney song that went along with every single one of them, from pharmacies to comic books to math storytelling and more.  It really solidified that he has written a song about every imaginable topic, perhaps save boogaloo.  

Getting back to this because I wanted to make sure my memory was correct here: Titanium Man and Crimson Dynamo were Soviet agents and originally foes of Iron Man. But by the time the song was written they were police in Communist Vietnam. 
Based on the timeline and armour in the picture you are correct.

184 (87PM)  Man We Was Lonely (McCartney, 1970)  Spotify  YouTube
Was they lonely before or after they was fab? 

The chorus kind of sounds like a Ringo song, but the verses are more typically Paul. If not for the minimal arrangement, it would probably sound like a country song.

183 (86PM)  Rainclouds  (single, 1982)  Spotify  YouTube
The vocal arrangement is the best part of this. The ulieann pipes are pretty cool too. 

Don't know if any of y'all were listening to Breakfast with the Beatles this morning when it began, but Chris Carter was giving his daily rundown of all the obscure recognition days that are "celebrated" today, and, no joke, he was able to name a Paul McCartney song that went along with every single one of them, from pharmacies to comic books to math storytelling and more.  It really solidified that he has written a song about every imaginable topic, perhaps save boogaloo.  
In a previous discussion we were not able to come up with one about cat buttholes. 

Raging weasel said:
Put this together while waiting for paint to dry. Found a couple new ones not in my original list to make it 24 songs.  Left out death metal songs and also Ironman which has nothing to do with the Marvel hero. 

Heroes and Villains playlist

There are also 2 super heroes that came about because of a song . If you watch the Marvel movies you'll be familiar with both .

Rockett Raccoon was created in the 80's as a part of Assistant Editors Month where writers were encouraged to come up with crazy/wacky stories. Bill Mantlo used a forgotten character from several years earlier and his love of the Beatles to create the hero known as Rockett. The title of this story was "Now Somewhere in the Black Holes of Sirius Major There Lived a Young Boy Named Rockett Raccoon"

I only used one Monster Magnet song for the playlist but they have several more with references to Marvel comics. To show his appreciation,Grant Morrison created Negasonic Teenage Warhead in their honor. This character appears in both Deadpool movies.
This is fantastic.  Downloaded to listen to in the car on the way home.

176.  This One (Flowers In The Dirt, 1989)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #81)

WARNING WARNING WARNING!  DEPLOY YOUR 80S FILTER!  WARNING WARNING WARNING!

After all that talk of Elvis Costello, my first selection from this record is one he had no involvement in.  My notes from this song include that it starts like “Mr. Roboto,” and that I have much love/hate for it and more than a smidgen of cringe. 

I think OH’s response to my crying over the sax part sums it up well:  “I think this is a song where you have to have an 80s filter.  A midi sax filter.  I like that part, it’s like he’s doing Prince.  Doing falsetto above an octave.   The chorus is great, the lyrics are great, I love it’s just in straight 4/4 power pop.  It’s chugging along.  I don’t think you could make a record on a major label without a team of people who weren’t musicians or recording engineers, just producers, and their job was to have opinions.  And their opinions were just all about following trends, and each other…Prince did this, George Michael did this…and they don’t give a #### about the record.  Paul McCartney himself made some of the greatest tracks in rock and roll ever…some of the greatest rock music EVER…you don’t think Paul McCartney and Elvis Costello, you could just leave them the #### alone.  But there’s a room full of ####ers…who have opinions.”

Have you ever been attracted to someone because they were so different from you, only to find that those differences also become the aspects you hate?  No?  Just me?  Anyway, ...
:lmao:

The best part of these threads are the glimpses into the posters' psyches much moreso than any music related information or re-experiencing of the songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't quote the Important Lude due to length but found it informative and confusing. I've never played an instrument or learned anything about music so the second half might as well have been in Russian. There would be no use trying to explain half or quarter notes, meter or fills to me so I'll just take the experts word on that stuff. What I don't understand that seems simple is this-  how is there a left/right handed drum kit? Can't you just set up the drums in whatever arrangement you want?
For the most part this has been true. The main hangup would be which foot you play the primary (usually only if you're not in a dual bass drum set up) bass drum with, and what flows from that.

Back when Ringo was coming up, a stock 4 piece (bass, snare, rack tom, floor tom) drum set would have the rack tom mounted on the left side of the bass drum and the ride cymbal mounted on the right side, bass drum to be played with your right foot. That's a base right handed setup. The hardware mounts were fixed on the bass drum. You'd have had to a) flip the bass drum around, switch the heads and hope the tom mount (if there was one, sometimes you'd need a separate stand for the tom, which would make things more flexible) would allow you to orient the rack tom in your direction; b) drill different holes in the bass drum to change where the mounting hardware went; c) buy a custom set for a lefty. Path of least short term resistance would be just to accept the drum set as it was and adjust yourself. That's what Ringo did. It's not a complete disadvantage, as it results in you being better able to play "open" with your dominant hand when on the hi hat. It does result in your fills being different if you stick with left hand lead around a right hand setup - which is what we hear from Ringo often.

Once the 70's came around drum hardware technology was advanced enough to set things up however you wanted. Maybe even a bit earlier than that.

175.  The Fireman – Light From Your Lighthouse (Electric Arguments, 2008)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #80)

This song has been way higher in some iterations of my list for the primary reason that it reminds me of childhood hymns that I was forced to sing, and I can’t shake my (mostly positive) connection to those days.  It features a bizarre low-register vocal interspersed with higher bits, and Paul on mandolin, double bass, harmonium, and a whole host of other stuff.  I love the wackiness and the harkening back to my childhood spirituals, but sometimes that vocal gives me nightmares.

It’s no coincidence that it’s his best album in a 15(ish) year span before and after. Mullets are fun. I think I had one then and I was in college in NJ. I still have a picture of me somewhere moving into the dorms with my mullet, mustache and David Bowie Glass Spider Tour T-Shirt.
We were cleaning out the bedroom closets last weekend and I found my prom picture from 1989. I totally had a mullet. 

174.  You (Extra Texture (Read All About It), 1975)  Spotify  YouTube

(George #50)

This joyous song was released as a single and reached #20 on the US charts.  It’s George’s take on the soul/R&B girl-group songs that the Beatles loved and sometimes covered, “a Ronettes sort of song.”  I love George’s vocal on this and the energy he brings to it.  I don’t mind the simplistic, repetitive lyrics; actually their repetition brings a certain appeal to the song, grounding it in my mind.  There sure are a lot of horns in here, though.  The whole endeavor sounds very of its time and disco-y (i.e., dated), and the lack of timelessness or innovation puts it a little lower on my list (but still George top 50!  Hey, welcome to George top 50!).

dood - i aint had a lood all day. it's Friday nite - hook me up, k?
:lmao:   I don't have any on the schedule until Sunday (---INTERLUDE - Imagine---), but I'd type one up for you for fun if I weren't on vacation and drunk.  Maybe you could take over and do one - yours would be a HELLUVA lot better than anything I've ever typed.

:lmao:   I don't have any on the schedule until Sunday (---INTERLUDE - Imagine---), but I'd type one up for you for fun if I weren't on vacation and drunk.  Maybe you could take over and do one - yours would be a HELLUVA lot better than anything I've ever typed.
Drunk ludes are the best!

Speaking of drunk, when are we getting the Give My Regards to Broad Street live blog?  

Were you late to the Beatles because you were raised in a religious environment where pop music wasn't played much/at all? 
75% true.  Both sets of grandparents were very religious and into spiritual music/church hymns, though my maternal ones also branched out into light country music with a spiritual bent.  My parents divorced when I was five, and my Dad remarried to the daughter of a Methodist minister, so still stuck close to the religious bent.  He sang baritone in a gospel quartet.  :)   We did have a season subscription to the orchestra and to the local musical theaters, and he listened to any pop music that I foisted upon him; it wasn't a "sin" or anything but he just didn't know much about it.  My Mom, on the other hand, was pop/rock through and through, but we just listened to what was popular at the time, like Journey, Styx...nothing classic.  

Drunk ludes are the best!

Speaking of drunk, when are we getting the Give My Regards to Broad Street live blog?  
I'm totally going to do this.  Maybe next weekend.

:kicksrock:  Guess its cough syrup and CD liner notes this wkend...
:lol:   Would the above make it up to you?

Maybe I could start doing ---INTERLUDES--- for all the Ringo albums.  Don't worry; I'm kidding.

174.  You (Extra Texture (Read All About It), 1975)  Spotify  YouTube

(George #50)

This joyous song was released as a single and reached #20 on the US charts.  It’s George’s take on the soul/R&B girl-group songs that the Beatles loved and sometimes covered, “a Ronettes sort of song.”  I love George’s vocal on this and the energy he brings to it.  I don’t mind the simplistic, repetitive lyrics; actually their repetition brings a certain appeal to the song, grounding it in my mind.  There sure are a lot of horns in here, though.  The whole endeavor sounds very of its time and disco-y (i.e., dated), and the lack of timelessness or innovation puts it a little lower on my list (but still George top 50!  Hey, welcome to George top 50!).
love it - and remember it well 

very Motown 60s

ETA: Phil Spector lite-ey

You've posted this before?  No ####ing way.
by far and away the best concert tshirt I ever bought

the thing was almost like a softball uniform weight and the 3 stripe sleeve stitching was full embroidered.  

thing lasted for years

the caption says late 70s - I think it was actually 1980

only 40 years ago.

182 (85PM)  Only Mama Knows (Memory Almost Full, 2007)  Spotify  YouTube
The drums sound a lot like a Jeff Lynne production. Otherwise this is a refreshing hard rocker with lots of neat touches. 

181 (84PM)  Wings - Magneto And Titanium Man (Venus And Mars, 1975)  Spotify  YouTube
I remember this one from the Rockshow concert film. This is a lot of fun. Feels like it ends too early, I wanna hear more of the story and the vocal harmonies.

180 (51GH)  That's The Way It Goes (Gone Troppo, 1982)  Spotify  YouTube  
Another song that reminds me how much I hated the production on drums in the '80s. Otherwise I can see the Buffet comparison, but George never gets anywhere near that obnoxious.

179 (83PM)  Everybody Out There (NEW, 2013)  Spotify  YouTube
Meh. If this wasn't Paul McCartney I'd think it was a cookie-cutter indie-pop band. I also hate the drum sound on this one even though it's not the '80s.

178 (JL37)  John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band - Well Well Well (John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, 1970)  Spotify  YouTube
Now THIS is a drum sound. So primitive and badass. I love how this song builds. It doesn't go from normal to screaming, there are gradations in between in speed and in intensity. 

177 (82PM)  One Of These Days (McCartney II, 1980)  Spotify  YouTube
This is the third best song by this title, after Pink Floyd and Neil Young. However Paul recorded his voice here, I like it. Makes what's otherwise a simple acoustic song distinctive. 

176 (81PM)  This One (Flowers In The Dirt, 1989)  Spotify  YouTube
I like the melody and the cowbell. The rest is cromulent pop product from the late '80s. 

175 (80PM)  The Fireman - Light From Your Lighthouse (Electric Arguments, 2008)  Spotify  YouTube
Double tracking two vocal takes, neither of which sound much like "regular Paul," was an interesting decision. There are definitely gospel influences in the chorus. 

174 (50GH)  You (Extra Texture (Read All About It), 1975)  Spotify  YouTube
I don't much care for the mixing on George's records from around this period. There's a lot going on but it's hard to hear, and not in an Exile dirtying-it-up kind of way. This song is a prime example, as is one that will probably come quite a bit later. The song's exuberance, its biggest strength, would have come out more with crisper production. 

173.  Get It (Tug Of War, 1982)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #79)

I recently moved this one down (Binky, up) many slots, because I realized I had it very high merely because of Carl Perkins’s chuckling at the end of the song.  :lmao: But let’s be clear:  that chuckling is charming AF, as is this whole song.  As to that chuckle, though, here’s Paul:  “We were recording at Montserrat, and a musician friend was sailing around the world on a yacht…and he sailed into Montserrat, and … invited us to his boat. There was this British naval crew piping us aboard this spotless yacht. Carl was really impressed with the buffet and the champagne, and the way it was all laid out. He came over to me and said, “Paul, where I come from they call this ####tin’ in high cotton.” It’s one of my favorite expressions. After that, we recorded “Get It.” At the end of the song, you can hear both of us laughing — and that’s the joke we’re laughing at. We had to cut the joke out, though, because we’d have never gotten it played on the radio.”

This is the fourth (4th) and final appearance from Perkins on my countdown, and I’ll admit that my admiration for Perkins is probably surpassed only by that of that Beatles.  In case you didn’t think this song was lovely enough as it is, with their sweet vocals (which blend beautifully) and guitars, here’s Paul again to describe the recording sessions:  “he fun tended to come when we had a free moment. He and I sat on the floor of the studio, and we were talking, and there was a mic on. I was just telling him about some of his old songs that we loved…I told him we were big fans of his and we used to do “Your True Love.” Then we’d sing together. Then we’d stop, and he’d say, “Well, you know, Paul, I used to do this,” and he’d show me some fingerpicking thing he used to do.”

At the end of their week together, Perkins wrote the song, “My Old Friend,” which I listed at #203.  This song is just a trifle.  Such a perfect little trifle.

krista4 said:

(Paul #79)

I recently moved this one down (Binky, up) many slots, because I realized I had it very high merely because of Carl Perkins’s chuckling at the end of the song.  :lmao: But let’s be clear:  that chuckling is charming AF, as is this whole song.  As to that chuckle, though, here’s Paul:  “We were recording at Montserrat, and a musician friend was sailing around the world on a yacht…and he sailed into Montserrat, and … invited us to his boat. There was this British naval crew piping us aboard this spotless yacht. Carl was really impressed with the buffet and the champagne, and the way it was all laid out. He came over to me and said, “Paul, where I come from they call this ####tin’ in high cotton.” It’s one of my favorite expressions. After that, we recorded “Get It.” At the end of the song, you can hear both of us laughing — and that’s the joke we’re laughing at. We had to cut the joke out, though, because we’d have never gotten it played on the radio.”

This is the fourth (4th) and final appearance from Perkins on my countdown, and I’ll admit that my admiration for Perkins is probably surpassed only by that of that Beatles.  In case you didn’t think this song was lovely enough as it is, with their sweet vocals (which blend beautifully) and guitars, here’s Paul again to describe the recording sessions:  “he fun tended to come when we had a free moment. He and I sat on the floor of the studio, and we were talking, and there was a mic on. I was just telling him about some of his old songs that we loved…I told him we were big fans of his and we used to do “Your True Love.” Then we’d sing together. Then we’d stop, and he’d say, “Well, you know, Paul, I used to do this,” and he’d show me some fingerpicking thing he used to do.”

At the end of their week together, Perkins wrote the song, “My Old Friend,” which I listed at #203.  This song is just a trifle.  Such a perfect little trifle.
Nice to see Paul doing back-to-the-roots stuff even before he started doing full-blown covers albums. This sounds like two friends messing around on the back porch, which is probably what they were going for. 

Hey, that was the b-side to "Ebony and Ivory"!  Will that a-side be showing up on your list?

Reminder:  NO.

"So strange that the nadirs of two brilliant artists were achieved in the exact same song.  Brilliant songwriters, brilliant musicians, responsible for my favorite music ever.  A song so forced, so contrived, a metaphor so obvious and lame and WRONG, JUST WRONG.  The black keys are not in harmony with the white keys.  That’s the point of them!  They’re dissonant; they’re in the harmony with each other.  And there are like four times as many white keys as black keys.  They’re larger and dominant.  It’s so wrong.  Stevie Wonder did a pretty good job exploring race in contemporary America, and Paul McCartney is not a racist, but we’re gonna cash in on the fact that we’re a white guy and a black guy.  That’s the thing about you guys?  Forget all the corny 80s oo-laa, the cheeseball instrumentation and the lite FM garbage.  It’s just hopelessly naïve and wrong.  It’s the 80s, a pogram on black America and urban America and we have this ####.  I think that song would be better just if Stevie Wonder just decided to cut Paul McCartney in it.  Get him before they get us all, and thwack.  I hate that song so much.  How he went from that John Lennon song earlier that I loved so much to this…I hate this almost as much as I loved the song I liked.  The Beatles basically integrated concerts in the south of the US, so it’s not like he’s ignorant of what went on here…but why can’t we live together like these keys on a piano?  Wtf?  Are you that far removed from…JFC.  Stevie, what are you ####### thinking, man?  That drives me ####### nuts.  That song is basically the Democratic party, right there.  So well-intentioned, so feckless, so wrong.  It’s like Jesse Helms says Jews are genetically are sneaky and black people shouldn’t have the right to buy meat on Wednesdays, and Paul McCartney is like “hey, ebony and ivory, man, why can’t we all get along?”  Bland music to let everyone feel good about “right thinking.”  I can’t be a racist, since I would also like to get along with Stevie Wonder.  I’m sorry, that song makes me want to overthrow governments."
My new goal in life is to one day be the future ex-Mr. OH.  :lmao:  

I'm traveling tomorrow to the Oregon coast where I will be soaking up the sunshine sitting in 60 degrees and rain for five days.  I will not complain since we desperately need the rain.  Anyway, I'm trying to finish all my write-ups through Sunday tonight, so I'll still be posting them but just might not be interacting as much during the day.  Then again, what else am I going to do?  Tomorrow there is a lot to get through with three ---INTERLUDES--- and three songs, so the posts might be scrunched up together in the morning before I leave around noon.
I hope you're having a great time.  Remind me where you went?  I feel like I gave you a dive bar rec that I may or may not regret having mentioned.

krista4 said:

(Paul #79)

Perfect description of what this song is and fwiw I was unaware of what he was laughing about.  Had never heard that story before.  Thanks so much.

And while this song isn't on my Paul 100, I enjoy it quite a bit and it's one of the many reasons that the Tug of War album is high on my list (not to worry Ebony & Ivory is any of the "many reasons"..though I may need to forewarn @Pip's Invitation that My Love did manage to crack my Paul 100 simply due to the guitar solo [ducks]

Also, I will be absent next weekend without access to any technology (past, present, or future) that would enable to experience the much-anticipated Broadstreet live blog.  I watched it once and still have the deep emotional scars to prove it.  You have been warned. ;)

I will dutifully listen to the guitar solo if the song cracks Krista's list, while trying my best to think happy thoughts during the rest of it. 
I may have misunderstood, but I believe Krista confirmed that it is NOT on her list when she was relaying on conversation between her OH and herself.  At least that is how I read the exchange.

As such, you can listen to ONLY the guitar solo here.  

I am actually watching a Rush documentary right now. Dunno if it's the same one you saw. Anyway, they are perfectly chill Canadians, as expected. 
Not sure what he watched.

My new goal in life is to one day be the future ex-Mr. OH.  :lmao:  

I hope you're having a great time.  Remind me where you went?  I feel like I gave you a dive bar rec that I may or may not regret having mentioned.
Cannon Beach.  I think a few of you guys made a recommendation, which I promptly forgot.

I may have misunderstood, but I believe Krista confirmed that it is NOT on her list when she was relaying on conversation between her OH and herself.  At least that is how I read the exchange.

As such, you can listen to ONLY the guitar solo here.  
I haven't confirmed My Love is not on my list; just posted OH's thoughts on it.  :)  

172.  Crackerbox Palace (Thirty Three And 1/3, 1976)  Spotify  YouTube

(George #49)

This song was a minor hit for George, reaching #19 on the US charts, and arose from George’s meeting a man named George Greif, the former manager for the late Lord Buckley, an American comedian/monologist whom George happened to admire.  Greif invited George to visit Buckley’s home in Los Angeles, which was called "Crackerbox Palace."

I wasn’t familiar with Lord Buckley, but learned that he was an idol not just of George’s, but of such varied folks as Lenny Bruce, Ken Kesey, Robin Williams, Tom Waits, Jimmy Buffett, and Bob Dylan, the last of whom called him “the hipster bebop preacher who defied all labels.”  He was described by the New York Times as “part English royalty, part Dizzy Gillespie.”  I’ve read that this is his most famous and best monologue.

As to this song, I fear I’m going to sound like I’m describing a Ringo song instead, but what I love here is the jaunty, singalong quality of it.  Of course, I also have to mention that rhythm section, with Willie Weeks and Alvin Taylor, that helps the song to sound full of joy.  I love the opening lines of this song, too:  “I was so young when I was born, my eyes could not yet see.”  The only reason it’s not higher is, and I’m a little hesitant to admit this, because…”Crackerbox Palace”?  There’s something so silly about the name that it constantly irritates me.  Just a personal issue, I know.

The music video for this song is particularly interesting; directed by Eric Idle, it is quirky to say the least(!), featuring George, Olivia, and others in a variety of costumes, with..elves, too?  Not surprising that this had a Monty Python connection!  The video was filmed at George’s Friar Park estate, which he nicknamed “Crackerbox Palace” after visiting Lord Buckley’s joint.

By the way, I’ve read that George pronounced the words here “it’s twue” in reference to Madeline Kahn in Blazing Saddles, but given this is the third song I’ve found where he does this, either it’s a running joke or just a legit speech impediment.

Songs in which George pronounces the word as “twue” (running total):  3

171.  Steel And Glass (Walls And Bridges, 1974)  Spotify  YouTube

(John #36)

This is one of two John “attack” songs we’ll be addressing shortly, this one having been interpreted as an attack on the Beatles’s former manager, Allen Klein.  John never admitted it was about Klein, but did clarify that it wasn’t about Paul or about Eartha Kitt.  Glad he clarified that last bit.  Anyway, the song is musically good and interesting, but I get a bit tired of the John vitriol, and this doesn’t have quite enough to overcome my weariness and move it higher.  I like the fade-in, John’s soaring vocal, and especially the strings, which give a nice sense of menace.  John reused the violin and horn licks from another (very direct) attack song, “How Do You Sleep?”, in this song.

172.  Crackerbox Palace (Thirty Three And 1/3, 1976)  Spotify  YouTube

(George #49)

This song was a minor hit for George, reaching #19 on the US charts, and arose from George’s meeting a man named George Greif, the former manager for the late Lord Buckley, an American comedian/monologist whom George happened to admire.  Greif invited George to visit Buckley’s home in Los Angeles, which was called "Crackerbox Palace."

I wasn’t familiar with Lord Buckley, but learned that he was an idol not just of George’s, but of such varied folks as Lenny Bruce, Ken Kesey, Robin Williams, Tom Waits, Jimmy Buffett, and Bob Dylan, the last of whom called him “the hipster bebop preacher who defied all labels.”  He was described by the New York Times as “part English royalty, part Dizzy Gillespie.”  I’ve read that this is his most famous and best monologue.

As to this song, I fear I’m going to sound like I’m describing a Ringo song instead, but what I love here is the jaunty, singalong quality of it.  Of course, I also have to mention that rhythm section, with Willie Weeks and Alvin Taylor, that helps the song to sound full of joy.  I love the opening lines of this song, too:  “I was so young when I was born, my eyes could not yet see.”  The only reason it’s not higher is, and I’m a little hesitant to admit this, because…”Crackerbox Palace”?  There’s something so silly about the name that it constantly irritates me.  Just a personal issue, I know.

The music video for this song is particularly interesting; directed by Eric Idle, it is quirky to say the least(!), featuring George, Olivia, and others in a variety of costumes, with..elves, too?  Not surprising that this had a Monty Python connection!  The video was filmed at George’s Friar Park estate, which he nicknamed “Crackerbox Palace” after visiting Lord Buckley’s joint.

By the way, I’ve read that George pronounced the words here “it’s twue” in reference to Madeline Kahn in Blazing Saddles, but given this is the third song I’ve found where he does this, either it’s a running joke or just a legit speech impediment.

Songs in which George pronounces the word as “twue” (running total):  3
I figured this one would be higher (Binky: lower) and it was the other one I was referring to where I thought the mix could have been better. The 2004 mix from the Youtube link does seem to fix some of the issues there; it's more evident in the video. It seems obvious to me that George is singing "twue" on purpose, especially given the emphasis with which he misenunciates it. Also by the way he hams up the "it's twue, it's twue" part in the video. He can sing "r's" just fine elsewhere. The song is pleasant and has some nice slide guitar, but it seems an odd choice not only as a single, but as a successful one (given that George's other singles since 1974 had mostly flopped). It's firmly midtempo and doesn't have a melody that sticks with you. 

I remember seeing this video a long time ago; though somehow I forgot that two women in leather outfits appear in George's bed all of the sudden. I don't think I knew it was directed by a Python, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. You may have caught that when they do quick cuts of different people in costume sitting in the chair next to George, one of them is Idle, not wearing a costume. 

Users who are viewing this thread