What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite post-Beatles Beatles songs: 291-1. (3 Viewers)

Keep Under Cover

Man, how these drums sound.  Listen to that snare drum.  That was so bad.  It’s been like this in all the songs, but that snare sound…those drums sound like absolute horse####.  Tons of compression and reverb on it; it doesn’t sound like a drum.  Think how much better all these songs – I don’t think they would have been good or Paul McCartney's best – but how much better all of them would be without these producer-ly choices made, which is invariably adding #### to it.  A children’s choir, an orchestra, it must have cost millions to make this POS record.  It’s no better than the first Paul McCartney record – well, it’s much worse – and that record cost like 50 cents.  All this #### sounds like a mall.  It’s like George Martin walking Paul McCartney through the 80s-iest mall in the world and picking out all the ####tiest things.  Let’s get all 75 members of the LA Philharmonic to go duh-duh-duh in the middle of this record nobody wants.  Hell yeah, gated snare?  That looks shiny.
This sums up exactly how I feel about 80s production and recordmaking. 😂

krista4 said:
I'm getting this idea that a lot of folks just pop in to see what song is there and "like" anything they've heard before.  Are people actually listening to songs that are new to them?  I'm certain that some are, like Pip who posts his reactions, but I don't know how many.  The idea here was to introduce folks to something they might not have heard and could enjoy, not just to have confirmation of the songs everyone already knows.  That seems a bit more Beatle-thread-y as people waited to see when their favorites came up.  This is not that thread.
Listening to them all, and many of them are new to me.  Liking ones that I like, just a lot to keep up with in here and haven't had much to say.  Love what you're doing!

krista4 said:
I'm getting this idea that a lot of folks just pop in to see what song is there and "like" anything they've heard before.  Are people actually listening to songs that are new to them?  I'm certain that some are, like Pip who posts his reactions, but I don't know how many.  The idea here was to introduce folks to something they might not have heard and could enjoy, not just to have confirmation of the songs everyone already knows.  That seems a bit more Beatle-thread-y as people waited to see when their favorites came up.  This is not that thread.
Since you asked-

I will confess that I have started skipping Ringo songs. I feel like I gave it an honest shot but he's just not for me. From all accounts he sounds like an awesome guy and I am very happy for the joy and peace he appears to have found in life. Having said that I am fine if I never hear another Ringo song.

Typically I will start playing a song while I read your write up. Usually by the time I am done reading I know if I want to keep listening. I have found stuff that I was not aware of and that I like. Particularly Paul. I am in shock at how many albums he has, I had no idea. This has resulted in me listening to entire albums and more Beatles station on Siriusxm. 

I have also tried to stop commenting on the songs I don't like. It just seems to negative and my comments feel mean as opposed to OH who seems to be negative and funny at the same time. That is something I can not pull off.

Last night I skipped about two pages because I fell behind due to life.

I appreciate what your doing and thank you for introducing me to new stuff.

I've listened to the songs on the last couple of pages.  I'm not sure if this threatens my standing in the "Beatles community" but I honestly don't know if I've ever heard "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" before.  And since Krista's comment was, I reckon, subliminally in my head, as I watched the video on Youtube, I honestly thought it was the SNL intro.  

"Goodnight Tonight" still rules.  

I've heard "This Song" before, but had no idea of the purpose of the song.  I had never listened closely to the lyrics, but what I did catch, I found myself thinking "Wow, George, got really lazy writing some hella generic lyrics to this one"  Actually, check that.  I've never had a thought that included the word "hella."  Regardless, now that I've read Krista's post, those lyrics make a hella valotte more sense.  

Had never heard "Sweetest Little Show" before, but it might be in my top 5 new songs I've been exposed to in this thread.  I just really enjoyed it and can't really put my finger on why.  

simey said:
I guess I'm with Binky.
In a discussion about college football if some one asked "who is the highest ranked team in the Country?" would you answer whichever team was the worst in the Country or would you say "Alabama"?

Since you asked-

I will confess that I have started skipping Ringo songs. I feel like I gave it an honest shot but he's just not for me. From all accounts he sounds like an awesome guy and I am very happy for the joy and peace he appears to have found in life. Having said that I am fine if I never hear another Ringo song.
This seems perfectly reasonable.  If you like country music at all, I suggest the last one I posted, "Beaucoups of Blues," but outside of that I don't any will be your cup of tea.

And as for skipping a couple of pages, maybe you could just note which ones and go back if you ever have time.

I've heard "This Song" before, but had no idea of the purpose of the song.  I had never listened closely to the lyrics, but what I did catch, I found myself thinking "Wow, George, got really lazy writing some hella generic lyrics to this one"  Actually, check that.  I've never had a thought that included the word "hella."  Regardless, now that I've read Krista's post, those lyrics make a hella valotte more sense.  

Had never heard "Sweetest Little Show" before, but it might be in my top 5 new songs I've been exposed to in this thread.  I just really enjoyed it and can't really put my finger on why.  
You're a melody guy and it's got a sweetest little melody, as well as all the other good stuff.  Still, it's hard to know why or what might just hit you in a way that makes you love it.

I'm sure you're not alone on "This Song."  Thinking of it that way cracks me up as I can only imagine how stupid you'd have though those lyrics were ("this song is in E").  It was a moderate hit, and I'd guess 95+% of people didn't know what it was about.

GUILTY PLEASURES - LYRICAL VERSION - SONG #1

146.  Ode To A Koala Bear (single, 1983)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #67)

It's right there in the title, giving you just about everything you need to know regarding why this is a "guilty" pleasure.  A taste of these lyrics:

Oh, I love you, I still care
All my affection's there
I will walk with you to the end of the passage
My little koala type bear
Little koala type bear

&

I will say that listening to it together led to the members of the 4 household calling everything a "-type" for weeks.  "I'm going to the grocery-type store."  "Oh, will you be taking the Subaru-type car?"  Geez, no wonder we're divorced.

This was the b-side to "Say Say Say"; somehow the countdown has two songs in a row released in 1983 despite its being an unusually fallow period for good Paul songs.  This song actually was recorded much earlier, though, and has the sad distinction of being the last song Paul recorded while John was still alive, having been completed the evening (UK time) of December 8, 1980.  

Despite the silly lyrics - Paul had stated in an interview in 1980 that the koala is his favorite animal - I adore this and sing along at the top of my lungs to it while also air-playing that cool choppy piano part.  The song has the sound and feel of an old 40s/50s standard, and I absolutely love Paul's huge, majestic, crazy-reverbed vocal.  Since "You Really Got A Hold On Me" was my second-favorite Beatles cover, it follows that I love this given it's basically the same song, but with dumb lyrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
GUILTY PLEASURES - LYRICAL VERSION - SONG #2

145.  (It's All Down To) Goodnight Vienna (Goodnight Vienna, 1974)  Spotify  YouTube

(Ringo #6)

I wrote a lot about this album earlier, so have not much left to say about the song that forms the title track, other than some of the lyrics are brutal.  But wait, we can't blame Ringo for that, since John wrote this song!  The background/essence of the lyrics is dealing with his insecurities (shocking, I know) and how he was getting tired of his "Lost Weekend" and wanted to get out of the situation, with the phrase "goodnight Vienna" being English slang meaning approximately "it's all over."  I want to hate this song for those lyrics, but I can't because it's so...wait for it...fun, and the band sounds amazing.  Of course it also gets bonus points for having John on the intro.  John also contributes the piano and vocals, while Billy Preston played a cool clavinet part.  The backing vocals are sparkling, the horns fit perfectly, and there's even an accordion!  You can't hate a song with an accordion, can you?  Wait, I most definitely can.  But not this one, which is a rollicking good time.

How about those lyrics?

I took my baby to a party last night
Uh Huh Hah
She was so beautiful she made me uptight
Uh Huh Hah
Up come a butcher with her ju jus alright
Uh Huh Hah
It's all da da down to Goodnight Vienna!

Felt like a bohunk but I kept up my cool
Uh Huh Hah
Green as a frog, man I was back into school
Uh Huh Hah
Zipped up my mouth coz I was starting to droll
Uh Huh Hah

Get it up (Keep it up), get it up (keep it up)

She said she loved me but I knew she was lying
Uh Huh Hah
Felt like an Arab who was dancing through Zion
Uh Huh Hah
Don't call no doctor when ya just feel like crying
Uh Huh Hah

&

GUILTY PLEASURES - LYRICAL VERSION - SONG #3

144.  Wings - Let ‘Em In (Wings At The Speed Of Sound, 1976)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #66)

This was a #3 hit for Wings in the US, which I find a little surprising.  Were we that into trombone solos in the 70s?  I guess things were weird then.

What I love:  the military percussion, the bass line, the trombone solo(!), the arrangement, Paul’s rounding of the words in his vocal, the faux outro that then comes back with the extra-loud final two chords, the fact it’s Paul’s actual doorbell in the intro, and even the flutes!

What I don’t:  well, you know…

Sister Suzy, Brother John, Martin Luther, Phil and Don, Brother Michael, Auntie Gin, Uncle Ernie, Uncle Ian

For these lyrics, Paul said he imagined he was having a party and pictured who might stop by.  Which makes sense when it comes to Sister Suzy (which is Linda), Brother John (Linda’s brother or John Lennon), Brother Michael (Paul’s brother), Auntie Gin (Paul’s aunt), Uncle Ian (Paul’s cousin), maybe even Phil and Don (the Everly Brothers) or Uncle Ernie (played by Keith Moon in the original, and by Ringo in the LSO re-recording, of The Who’s Tommy).  But Martin Luther?  What the hell kind of party is this?  I'm not sure I wish to attend, Sir Paul.  Ahhhh, I suppose it’s a reference to the nailing of the theses to the door, but boy is it dumb.  Also dumb to me is the way each person has a different horn part after their name is mentioned.  Gah. 

Despite all that, I find this song oddly and embarrassingly irresistible.  Come for the military snare; stay for the trombone solo!

Played by Denny Laine on the Wings Over America tour.

I would have had this higher (Binky and Simey: lower) but I don't know as many Paul songs as you do. 
I had it a bit higher for a while, but there are so many damn great songs.  I feel like we're in the spot now where I love them all.  And honestly...this one dropped a bit just so I could group it with the other guilty pleasures.  :lol:   I do like it more than the three George songs I'm posting tomorrow, but who cares.

(Paul #67)

It's right there in the title, giving you just about everything you need to know regarding why this is a "guilty" pleasure.  A taste of these lyrics:

All my affection's there
Little koala type bear

&

I will say that listening to it together led to the members of the 4 household calling everything a "-type" for weeks.  "I'm going to the grocery-type store."  "Oh, will you be taking the Subaru-type car?"  Geez, no wonder we're divorced.

This was the b-side to "Say Say Say"; somehow the countdown has two songs in a row released in 1983 despite its being an unusually fallow period for good Paul songs.  This song actually was recorded much earlier, though, and has the sad distinction of being the last song Paul recorded while John was still alive, having been completed the evening (UK time) of December 8, 1980.  

Despite the silly lyrics - Paul had stated in an interview in 1980 that the koala is his favorite animal - I adore this and sing along at the top of my lungs to it while also air-playing that cool choppy piano part.  The song has the sound and feel of an old 40s/50s standard, and I absolutely love Paul's huge, majestic, crazy-reverbed vocal.  Since "You Really Got A Hold On Me" was my second-favorite Beatles cover, it follows that I love this given it's basically the same song, but with dumb lyrics.
Not sure how you did it but you got me liking this. At first I was not digging it but the more it plays the better it got. I do hear "you Really Got A Hold On Me" with silly lyrics. I think thats what turned me.

(Paul #66)

This was a #3 hit for Wings in the US, which I find a little surprising.  Were we that into trombone solos in the 70s?  I guess things were weird then.

What I love:  the military percussion, the bass line, the trombone solo(!), the arrangement, Paul’s rounding of the words in his vocal, the faux outro that then comes back with the extra-loud final two chords, the fact it’s Paul’s actual doorbell in the intro, and even the flutes!

Sister Suzy, Brother John, Martin Luther, Phil and Don, Brother Michael, Auntie Gin, Uncle Ernie, Uncle Ian

For these lyrics, Paul said he imagined he was having a party and pictured who might stop by.  Which makes sense when it comes to Sister Suzy (which is Linda), Brother John (Linda’s brother or John Lennon), Brother Michael (Paul’s brother), Auntie Gin (Paul’s aunt), Uncle Ian (Paul’s cousin), maybe even Phil and Don (the Everly Brothers) or Uncle Ernie (played by Keith Moon in the original, and by Ringo in the LSO re-recording, of The Who’s Tommy).  But Martin Luther?  What the hell kind of party is this?  I'm not sure I wish to attend, Sir Paul.  Ahhhh, I suppose it’s a reference to the nailing of the theses to the door, but boy is it dumb.  Also dumb to me is the way each person has a different horn part after their name is mentioned.  Gah. 

Despite all that, I find this song oddly and embarrassingly irresistible.  Come for the military snare; stay for the trombone solo!
I remember when this song was getting airplay. I always liked it, feels good and I love horns in songs.

Not sure how you did it but you got me liking this. At first I was not digging it but the more it plays the better it got. I do hear "you Really Got A Hold On Me" with silly lyrics. I think thats what turned me.
:hifive:   I have a "love/hate" day coming up soon, and maybe I should have had this there.  A lot of people seem really to love this song (believe it or not, OH is among them!), but clearly it got some hate in here, too.

(Paul #66)

This probably sounded like a great idea while stoned.   

I was thinking yesterday of this quirk I have - I think it's a quirk? - where I almost never enjoy a song the first time I hear it.  Most songs take several listens before I can love them.  Is this just me, or more common than I think?  If I hear a song and like it immediately, I know it's going to be one of my all-time favorites.

On a related front, I think some of these songs are "enjoyed" more just due to familiarity, such as we might like a song better when we can sing along and know the words.  I've tried to separate that out from my rankings, mostly via 1000000 listens to each song.

I was thinking yesterday of this quirk I have - I think it's a quirk? - where I almost never enjoy a song the first time I hear it.  Most songs take several listens before I can love them.  Is this just me, or more common than I think?  If I hear a song and like it immediately, I know it's going to be one of my all-time favorites.

On a related front, I think some of these songs are "enjoyed" more just due to familiarity, such as we might like a song better when we can sing along and know the words.  I've tried to separate that out from my rankings, mostly via 1000000 listens to each song.
A lot of songs I like a lot more after multiple listens.  But some I definitely enjoy the first time.  So yea, just you.

krista4 said:
Christ, I barely read 1/3 of the posts, and now I’m supposed to listen to all of these songs too?

Kidding.  Mostly.  I’ve listened to at least half, and have been exposed to a ton of new songs!  It’s been awesome!! (And this is coming from someone incapable of being anything but brutally honest.......)

One of my goals is to listen to all the songs in order during Christmas break.  That probably won’t happen, but it is good to have goals.

HUMO(U)R SONG #2

148.  This Song (Thirty Three & 1/3, 1976)  Spotify  YouTube

(George #46)

From jaunty-psychedelic funny George in “Soft-Hearted Hana” to jaunty-acerbic funny George here.  It’s a bouncy fun song with standout keyboard work from Billy Preston, but by far the best feature is the ridiculously clever lyrics that are a commentary on the “My Sweet Lord”/”He’s So Fine” copyright infringement lawsuit George had just lost.  Brilliant!

This song has nothing tricky about it
This song ain't black or white and as far as I know
Don't infringe on anyone's copyright, so

This song, we'll let be, this song is in E
This song is for you and

This tune has nothing Bright about it
This tune ain't bad or good and come ever what may
My expert tells me it's okay

As this song came to me unknowingly
This song could be, you could be

("Could be 'Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch' – No, sounds more like 'Rescue Me'!")

This riff ain't trying to win gold medals
This riff ain't hip or square, well done or rare
May end up one more weight to bear

But this song could well be
A reason to see that
Without you, there's no point to this song

&

The spoken word portion in parentheses above is by Eric Idle.  The word “Bright” is a reference to the owner of the “He’s So Fine” copyright, Bright Tunes.  I laugh the most at the line “this song is in E,” which is a deliciously dumb reference to one of the arguments made in the copyright suit.  In addition to the cheeky lyrics, George displayed more humo(u)r by rather blatantly incorporating patterns from a few other songs into this one, including “Sugar Pie Honey Bunch.”

George had a moderate hit with this one, reaching #25 on the US charts.  Leave it to George to turn a loss over a copyright into a newly successful copyright.  I repeat, brilliant. 

The promo video for this song, “This Song,” includes Ron Wood, Tom Scott, and…as the judge?  Why that’s Jim Keltner.  George looks quite fetching in his sweater vest here. 
Despite being a George fan, I really don’t know a lot of his solo work.  I enjoy when George makes references to government and law - like Taxman.  This was a fun song.

(Paul #67)

All my affection's there
Little koala type bear

&

Everything about this song, including the name, sums up when/why I struggle with Paul.  Some of his songs absolutely grab me wholly.  Others I just can’t run away from quickly enough.

Christ, I barely read 1/3 of the posts, and now I’m supposed to listen to all of these songs too?

Kidding.  Mostly.  I’ve listened to at least half, and have been exposed to a ton of new songs!  It’s been awesome!! (And this is coming from someone incapable of being anything but brutally honest.......)

One of my goals is to listen to all the songs in order during Christmas break.  That probably won’t happen, but it is good to have goals.
I love it!  We should all have such goals, especially related to this thread.  ;)  

I was issued a "pumpkin challenge" at work today, whereby I need to have a pumpkin-related drink and report on it.  I found out there is indeed such a thing as a pumpkin mimosa.  I don't know if I'm excited or terrified.

Despite being a George fan, I really don’t know a lot of his solo work.  I enjoy when George makes references to government and law - like Taxman.  This was a fun song.
For me, it depends.  He can be witty, like this song or "Taxman," or he can be too much, like "Piggies" or others I won't mention since they're eligible for the list.  He surely was not hesitant to display his hatred of authority.

For me, it depends.  He can be witty, like this song or "Taxman," or he can be too much, like "Piggies" or others I won't mention since they're eligible for the list.  He surely was not hesitant to display his hatred of authority.
Maybe that’s why I like him so much.

True story:  25 year old APK asked his then CEO (the first time meeting him), who was into horse breeding, if he flew the horses over from Germany on the corporate jet.  It was meant to be funny, but the CEO didn’t laugh......

I love it!  We should all have such goals, especially related to this thread.  ;)  

I was issued a "pumpkin challenge" at work today, whereby I need to have a pumpkin-related drink and report on it.  I found out there is indeed such a thing as a pumpkin mimosa.  I don't know if I'm excited or terrified.
Ok, honesty.  A realistic goal is to listen to the top-150 over Christmas, plus all the Ringo songs. ;)

Wtf is a pumpkin mimosa?

Users who are viewing this thread