What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Herd Mentality (1 Viewer)

Probably both. Herd mentality leading to herd immunity.

Reducing deaths by implementing simple mitigation measures like wearing masks, avoiding large gatherings, avoiding indoor activities, hand washing and maintaining physical distancing is for suckers and losers.

Trump also said repeatedly that the virus would ultimately go away thanks to “herd mentality”. It was unclear whether he meant to say “herd immunity”.

The Sheep get it.
If, when talking about COVID, Biden had referred to "herd mentality" there would be a dozen posts in various threads on this forum pointing to that as further proof of his continuing mental deterioration. Of course Trump will get a pass on this by his supporters and defenders.

Also from the same town hall:

Trump: "A lot of people think the masks are not good." Asked who they are, Trump says I'll tell you who they are: "Waiters."

OK - so he misspoke.  I would think the more important focus would be on the question of whether or not a herd immunity approach is the "official" US government plan to address the virus.  Because they've had at least 10 months to form a gameplan, and as far as I can tell its still a completely haphazard situation.  The good news perhaps is that we have all long ago accepted the fact that what Trump says is highly unlikely to bear any relationship to actual facts or policy, so that's the good news.  I've read that a herd immunity approach would result in an estimated 2-3 million deaths.

One other thing I noted in the ABC talk last night is he repeatedly blamed Joe Biden for the spread of coronavirus in the US, and specifically criticized the democratic candidate for failing to implement a nation-wide mask policy, even while denying that masks are necessarily helpful in containing the virus.

One other thing I noted in the ABC talk last night is he repeatedly blamed Joe Biden for the spread of coronavirus in the US, and specifically criticized the democratic candidate for failing to implement a nation-wide mask policy, even while denying that masks are necessarily helpful in containing the virus.
This is the part that blows my mind.  Do his supporters actually fall for this?  Biden hasn’t been in govt for 4 years and, the last time he was, he was basically Obama’s yes man. 

If, when talking about COVID, Biden had referred to "herd mentality" there would be a dozen posts in various threads on this forum pointing to that as further proof of his continuing mental deterioration. Of course Trump will get a pass on this by his supporters and defenders.

Also from the same town hall:

Trump: "A lot of people think the masks are not good." Asked who they are, Trump says I'll tell you who they are: "Waiters."
I agree. I wish more would post about Trump mistakes here instead of giving him a free pass all the time. Righties are taking this place over.

Tolstoy said:
not from me.  if he said that it would absolutely affect my opinion of him 
Not from me either.  If my representative had a track record of ethics, morals, and telling the truth I would have no problem backing him.  If he does not, I would not back him.  That's how it works for me.  

Joe Bryant said:
squistion said:
Of course Trump will get a pass on this by his supporters and defenders.
Yes. Just like Biden would.

It's how it works. 
The issue, I think, is not about a candidate's most ardent defenders. Those people will follow their candidate to hell and back.

The issue is whether the average voter (who would not describe themselves as a "defender" of either candidate) should give a pass to a candidate who doesn't understand science -- or, who does understand science but believes in an unproven theory while simultaneously lacking the fortitude to officially implement it.

The issue, I think, is not about a candidate's most ardent defenders. Those people will follow their candidate to hell and back.

The issue is whether the average voter (who would not describe themselves as a "defender" of either candidate) should give a pass to a candidate who doesn't understand science -- or, who does understand science but believes in an unproven theory while simultaneously lacking the fortitude to officially implement it.
Sure. That's a very different thing than what squiston claimed. 

squistion said:
George Stef pressed him, "What people?"

DJT said, "what people? I'll tell you what people. Waiters. My waiter at lunch the other day had a mask on. He kept touching his face. You could tell he didn't like it."

THAT WAS HIS EVIDENCE!!!!!!!!!!

I saw that video running rampant on Reddit this morning. Florida no less. They even had children chanting with them on their rant/march through the store. I hope this kind of behavior does not become trendy with the anti-masker covidiots.

That's also how it works. It's those other people who are hypocritical. ;)  
This is a particularly patronizing response.  I personally wouldn't be cool with my president making fun of handicapped reporters or bragging of grabbing women in the ##### without their consent.  So don't paint this with some type of false equivalency.  It's not the same on both sides at this point.  You know it's not.  

Last edited by a moderator:
George Stef pressed him, "What people?"

DJT said, "what people? I'll tell you what people. Waiters. My waiter at lunch the other day had a mask on. He kept touching his face. You could tell he didn't like it."

THAT WAS HIS EVIDENCE!!!!!!!!!!
So we finally learn who "a lot of people" are.  I was wondering if he'd reveal his sources.  

This is a particularly patronizing response.  I personally wouldn't be cool with my president making fun of handicapped reporters or bragging of grabbing women in the ##### without their consent.  So don't paint this with some type of false equivalency.  It's not the same on both sides at this point.  You know it's not.  
If you're gonna play that how about your president getting handsy with underage girls and a little too touchy/feely with old ladies?  

“I remember these numbers so well“ 

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:  
Hey @AAABatteries !

I noticed you skipped right over my post (which was right after the one you quoted) to get a laugh in at Trump instead.  Any thoughts on Biden blaming Trump for the CA wildfires?  Are you disgusted about that too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @AAABatteries !

I noticed you skipped right over my post (which was right after the one you quoted) to get a laugh in at Trump instead.  Any thoughts on Biden blaming Trump for the CA wildfires?  Are you disgusted about that too?
Biden didn't blame Trump for the current wildfires:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/is-doomsday-here-biden-calls-trump-a-climate-arsonist-as-california-burns

'Is doomsday here?': Biden calls Trump a 'climate arsonist' as California burns

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden ripped President Trump for denying climate change as much of the country's west is ravaged by wildfires and is blanketed by an orange haze of smoke.

"If you give a climate arsonist four more years in the White House, why would anyone be surprised that more of America is ablaze?" Biden asked reporters during a speech in Delaware.

Trump wasn't to blame for the recent spate of fires, hurricanes, and floods, according to Biden. But the two-term vice president warned that if voters reward the incumbent with a second term, "these hellish events will continue to become more common, more devastating, and more deadly."

[...]

CletiusMaximus said:
OK - so he misspoke.  I would think the more important focus would be on the question of whether or not a herd immunity approach is the "official" US government plan to address the virus.  Because they've had at least 10 months to form a gameplan, and as far as I can tell its still a completely haphazard situation.  The good news perhaps is that we have all long ago accepted the fact that what Trump says is highly unlikely to bear any relationship to actual facts or policy, so that's the good news.  I've read that a herd immunity approach would result in an estimated 2-3 million deaths.
The 2-3 million death estimate assumes no mitigation efforts or improvements in medical care, including a vaccine.

Biden didn't blame Trump for the current wildfires:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/is-doomsday-here-biden-calls-trump-a-climate-arsonist-as-california-burns

'Is doomsday here?': Biden calls Trump a 'climate arsonist' as California burns

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden ripped President Trump for denying climate change as much of the country's west is ravaged by wildfires and is blanketed by an orange haze of smoke.

"If you give a climate arsonist four more years in the White House, why would anyone be surprised that more of America is ablaze?" Biden asked reporters during a speech in Delaware.

Trump wasn't to blame for the recent spate of fires, hurricanes, and floods, according to Biden. But the two-term vice president warned that if voters reward the incumbent with a second term, "these hellish events will continue to become more common, more devastating, and more deadly."

[...]
So who is to blame? The administration that served for 8 years prior to Trump?

The 2-3 million death estimate assumes no mitigation efforts or improvements in medical care, including a vaccine.
How many need to be infected to achieve herd immunity?

70%

328.2M USA population 

230M need to be infected and recover if our national policy is herd immunity by natural infection.

CURRENTLY

6.64M cases

196K deaths 

2.97% death rate 

6.82M predicted deaths? probably not.

case fatality ratio (CFR) is a little more complex than simply categorized deaths / confirmed cases while we are in the middle of an ongoing pandemic. that’s bc there will be a significant number of cases which are asymptomatic, or mild cases which are neither tested or counted.

what is the true death rate of Covid-19? it varies wildly by country and region bc of demographic variance and other factors.

BTW we don’t know for sure positive for antibodies means you can’t be infected against I have antibodies but live like I never had it. but apparently the administration is rolling the dice that it is true.

if the CFR is 0.03% (for clarity, 1/10 of current raw numbers), we’re looking at 682K Covid-19 deaths to gain herd immunity ahead of the vaccine.

friendly reminder there are currently no proven therapeutics. hydroxychloroquine has not proven to be effective, nor has convalescent plasma. we have anecdotes, not data.

ASIDE - we won’t know infection fatality ratio (IFR) for some time so we have to rely on CFR for now.

700K? 7M? we’re good with that?

How many need to be infected to achieve herd immunity?

70%

328.2M USA population 

230M need to be infected and recover if our national policy is herd immunity by natural infection.

CURRENTLY

6.64M cases

196K deaths 

2.97% death rate 

6.82M predicted deaths? probably not.

case fatality ratio (CFR) is a little more complex than simply categorized deaths / confirmed cases while we are in the middle of an ongoing pandemic. that’s bc there will be a significant number of cases which are asymptomatic, or mild cases which are neither tested or counted.

what is the true death rate of Covid-19? it varies wildly by country and region bc of demographic variance and other factors.

BTW we don’t know for sure positive for antibodies means you can’t be infected against I have antibodies but live like I never had it. but apparently the administration is rolling the dice that it is true.

if the CFR is 0.03% (for clarity, 1/10 of current raw numbers), we’re looking at 682K Covid-19 deaths to gain herd immunity ahead of the vaccine.

friendly reminder there are currently no proven therapeutics. hydroxychloroquine has not proven to be effective, nor has convalescent plasma. we have anecdotes, not data.

ASIDE - we won’t know infection fatality ratio (IFR) for some time so we have to rely on CFR for now.

700K? 7M? we’re good with that?
 Though it’s far more complicated than your explanation, suffice it to say I think a strategy for pandemic management based on natural herd immunity is foolish.

Though it’s far more complicated than your explanation, suffice it to say I think a strategy for pandemic management based on natural herd immunity is foolish.
Yeah I struggled with how much detail to throw up there. No one around here wants to read a wall of words.

A combination of herd immunity via natural spread and the acceptance and distribution of vaccines is currently the trajectory that almost every country in the world is on to control COVID-19.

It is also the method that has been used to effectively put Measles, mumps, polio, and chickenpox into the controllable category.    

https://www.gavi.org/sites/default/files/vaccineswork/2020/Herd-immunity.pdf

A combination of herd immunity via natural spread and the acceptance and distribution of vaccines is currently the trajectory that almost every country in the world is on to control COVID-19.

It is also the method that has been used to effectively put Measles, mumps, polio, and chickenpox into the controllable category.    

https://www.gavi.org/sites/default/files/vaccineswork/2020/Herd-immunity.pdf
Key word bolded. And that’s the long term plan. In the short term, we actually want to slow natural spread via widespread NPI.

Note, this strategy actually prolongs the time it takes for natural herd immunity to develop. We’re trying to minimize our losses from covid-19 until an effective vaccine is available. 

Users who are viewing this thread