What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (1 Viewer)

MSN reporting if Titans-Bills game can't be played this week there are 2 options left. One is to push back the playoffs by one week and play the game in "week 18",and any other games that fall into this situation. Second option is game is not made up and Bills and Titans would only play 15 games. Playoffs would be determined by win percentage. Not in the story but my opinion,I don't think other teams would be happy with this option,especially any that would be bumped out of the playoffs by a team or teams playing one less game.
In the latter scenario, it would be strange and possibly unfair if a team or two ended up in a scenario where they only played 13 or 14 games or a scenario where maybe, due to Covid, they can't play their finalmgame and that leads to them having the winning percentage to qualify for the playoffs and essentially get a one week bye before playing.  

I think the NFL has to find a better solution if they intend to get through this season. 

I don't agree that making up games at the end of the year sets up a competitive imbalance. Games get played when games get played. There are plenty of (pointless) arguments to be made for a lot of teams and situations. Let's say BUF doesn't have to play this week. Then they would get a bye before a home date against the Chiefs. Buffalo would have had 11 days off. The Chiefs would be playing their third game in 10 days. I don't know, that might seem like ADVANTAGE BILLS . . . and downstream that could make a difference who gets the playoff bye in the AFC. Oh, and I forgot potentially the best part about that. Gilmore of NE hugged and was in the face of Mahomes after the game on Monday, It's not out of the question the Bills could face a tired Chiefs team and not have to face Mahomes if he ended up testing positive. Would that give the Bills a competitive advantage?

NE found out late in the week last week that Cam Newton couldn't play and their facility was closed down. Their facility is still closed down. That likely means the Pats will have to play back to back games without a backup QB having even one full practice with the starting offense. Not exactly "fair."

Who knows moving forward how many teams will have to reschedule byes/games and have to play make up games at the end of the season, and probably other playoff teams. Some playoff teams might get an unintended bye . . . or two. Some playoff teams may have TWO make up games. Some teams might miss out on the playoffs because they needed one more win that they couldn't get because they didn't get their game rescheduled. Literally, we could come up with an unlimited amount of "what ifs" and the bottom line is the league will play when they play, and they aren't going to care if the outcomes are fair or justified.

My point being, there are going to be a lot of things that go down this year that won't pass the smell test, but collectively players, teams, and fans are going have to just hold their noses and make do with whatever the outcomes are.
You are right and, because of that, I kept going back to why even play (other than the obvious money factor).  I want to see football but it seems this is destined for an asterisk, certain to leave a lot of people feeling bummed out, slighted, etc.   

Of course, there will be some people who will enjoy whatever they can get, regardless but it does seem to run a risk of turning some people off unless the collective fanbase just takes it as "2020!  What cha gonna do?" 

Again, glad to see football but I'm not sure we will see look back on this season and say it means much outside of it provided a nice distraction and somebody got to say we were the *champs.  

In the latter scenario, it would be strange and possibly unfair if a team or two ended up in a scenario where they only played 13 or 14 games or a scenario where maybe, due to Covid, they can't play their finalmgame and that leads to them having the winning percentage to qualify for the playoffs and essentially get a one week bye before playing.  

I think the NFL has to find a better solution if they intend to get through this season. 
To touch upon what I have posted before, we are so used to teams playing the same number of games that no one stops to think that that was not always the case. Going back to the start of organized football in 1920 (the league was known the first 2 years as the APFA before switching to the NFL), teams never played the same number of games. In the same season, some played 3 or 4, others 5, some played 7, others 12. At the end of the season, all that mattered was a team's winning percentage. The other huge difference back in the day was that ties did not count in determining a team's record. Nowadays, a tie counts as half a win and half a loss. Back, then ties were ignored.

Case in point, In 1932, Chicago went 7-1-6. The Packers went 10-3-1. By today's standards, Chicago had the equivalent of a 10-4 record while GB would be considered the same as 10.5-3.5 (and would be considered the champion). But the Bears were considered to have gone 7-1 (the equivalent of 14-2 in 2020) and were declared the league champion. Talk about unfair, both in terms of determining a champion but also in terms of the complete inconsistency of the schedule.

All 32 teams now the rules and all franchises were made aware that this would be an atypical season. Things being considered FAIR are not really much of a consideration this year.

You are right and, because of that, I kept going back to why even play (other than the obvious money factor).  I want to see football but it seems this is destined for an asterisk, certain to leave a lot of people feeling bummed out, slighted, etc.   

Of course, there will be some people who will enjoy whatever they can get, regardless but it does seem to run a risk of turning some people off unless the collective fanbase just takes it as "2020!  What cha gonna do?" 

Again, glad to see football but I'm not sure we will see look back on this season and say it means much outside of it provided a nice distraction and somebody got to say we were the *champs.  
Fans of whomever wins will relish and celebrate a SB victory and savor it like any other season . . . and they should. Do the strike shortened seasons not count? The league took 16 playoff teams in 1982 (no byes that year) when they only had 28 teams. Do the Washington Football Team fans look back and say it wasn't a real championship (although most people would agree that their kicker winning league MVP was a travesty).

Before I make enemies of WAS fans, the artist formerly known as Redskins did have an excellent team and tied for the best record in the league that year, so they may have won it all in a full season anyway. For those that don't remember, MIA scored on a 76-yard passing play very early in the game. They went 3 of 15 passing the rest of the game for 21 yards over the last 53 and a half minutes. The Skins ran 52 times (!) for 276 yards in what can only be called old school smash mouth football.

Titans going to get hammered for the covid mishandling of protocols 
What will be interesting is the league notified teams AFTER the Titans botched things up what the penalties might be for breaking protocols (potential forfeits, lost draft picks, etc.). That may be a case of moving the goal posts and changing the rules after the fact. Of course, the league usually does whatever it feels like, sometimes without much logic to their decisions.

To touch upon what I have posted before, we are so used to teams playing the same number of games that no one stops to think that that was not always the case. Going back to the start of organized football in 1920 (the league was known the first 2 years as the APFA before switching to the NFL), teams never played the same number of games. In the same season, some played 3 or 4, others 5, some played 7, others 12. At the end of the season, all that mattered was a team's winning percentage. The other huge difference back in the day was that ties did not count in determining a team's record. Nowadays, a tie counts as half a win and half a loss. Back, then ties were ignored.

Case in point, In 1932, Chicago went 7-1-6. The Packers went 10-3-1. By today's standards, Chicago had the equivalent of a 10-4 record while GB would be considered the same as 10.5-3.5 (and would be considered the champion). But the Bears were considered to have gone 7-1 (the equivalent of 14-2 in 2020) and were declared the league champion. Talk about unfair, both in terms of determining a champion but also in terms of the complete inconsistency of the schedule.

All 32 teams now the rules and all franchises were made aware that this would be an atypical season. Things being considered FAIR are not really much of a consideration this year.
100 years ago, they shot basketball in a peach basket.  It's a very different game now. 

Not to argue. I think we agree n the broad spectrum. I guess my issues are tied in to what you are touching on.  This is NOT a fair season.. BUT it will have huge ramifications for a long time.  If a "good" team gets whacked upside the head with a bad season due to Covid and they end up with Trevor Lawrence, for example.  So the rest of the league and all its fans have to deal with him on the Patriots for the next 15?  Stuff like that.  I think we just as re too quick to toss our hands up, say it is what it is, and just accept it without thinking it's bigger in the long run. 

Fans of whomever wins will relish and celebrate a SB victory and savor it like any other season . . . and they should. Do the strike shortened seasons not count? The league took 16 playoff teams in 1982 (no byes that year) when they only had 28 teams. Do the Washington Football Team fans look back and say it wasn't a real championship (although most people would agree that their kicker winning league MVP was a travesty).

Before I make enemies of WAS fans, the artist formerly known as Redskins did have an excellent team and tied for the best record in the league that year, so they may have won it all in a full season anyway. For those that don't remember, MIA scored on a 76-yard passing play very early in the game. They went 3 of 15 passing the rest of the game for 21 yards over the last 53 and a half minutes. The Skins ran 52 times (!) for 276 yards in what can only be called old school smash mouth football.
You're talking about things from a loooong time ago.  The sport and its fans are very different now.  Maybe it won't move the needle at all but I suspect it will have some fallout we aren't talking about right now.  

There has been no information reported that these additional TEN players are sick.    COVID-19 positive test does not equate to sick.    Reports on Cam Newton that have gotten out or leaked out are that he is asymptomatic with no symptoms, therefore not sick. 

Some NFL players may get sick at some point, but NFL players are younger, healthier and likely have much better immune systems vs the U.S. population as a whole
Masks weren't worn at practice is the accusation and they're reviewing video. Word around the league is essentially confusion because everyone is wearing masks in meetings locker room weight room, but while running and playing? Really? Another issue is the NFL and NFLPA sent a zillion messages about covid and players didn't read every one and aren't sure which rule supercedes another so they figured masks are safest and skipped reading.

The Titans have tested often like every team.

The reason for the quick spread is probably because they were all asymptomatic for 2-3 days and appeared fine.

The 24 hour, four hour, and 15 minute tests have about the same results. It's infuriating that the Quidel test isn't the standard but our society is so ingrained to trust blood drawn for the 24 hour one.

Easiest solution, imo, is to roll with the 15min test. 

The numbers are something like 99.5% accurate, 99.4 and 99.2. To go with the more accurate (blood) test doesn't yield the same feeling it did when they announced going with that. At this point, it seems like wordplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titans going to get hammered for the covid mishandling of protocols 
Titans co owner is Kenneth Adams IV is a great lawyer and an even better man. He's represented the league many times.

He'll concede any fault because he's a good guy but they won't cross him if anything was open ended. He has a way of forcing quick, honest and sincere resolutions and I greatly respect his way.

I'd bet $ this is nothing like the Pats or Cowboys or Jets balking at this n that and drawing this out through the press

Also, he makes the Titans the 'perfect' team to get this first. Good luck finding a loophole or pushing an issue after he's already done so and set the precedent

Just create natural 2nd byes for weeks 15, 16 and 17 for all teams. There are no fans to consider at stadiums so rescheduling shouldn't be as big a logistical problem. Then push the playoffs back a week or two to build in more buffer. It's not like those games are scheduled yet. Super Bowl can be in March.

Just create natural 2nd byes for weeks 15, 16 and 17 for all teams. There are no fans to consider at stadiums so rescheduling shouldn't be as big a logistical problem. Then push the playoffs back a week or two to build in more buffer. It's not like those games are scheduled yet. Super Bowl can be in March.
There is fans for some teams 

I do think one of the positive developments is that despite the number of Titans players that have since tested positive, not one Viking has (as far as I know).  It may not prove anything but it's encouraging.
I heard the Vikings had one false positive test come back from this.

It may be that the Vikings are doing a good job of following safety guidelines and they got lucky. 

Personally, I think the best option is assign the Titans a loss. I think giving the Titans a loss, makes more sense than fining them a draft choice would, though no reason you couldn't do both. They don't deserve this to be considered a tie.
Giving the Titans a loss means giving the Bills a win.  I'm not sure how you can award the Bills a win for not playing a game but make the Steelers play three road games in a row to play a makeup game.  

Punish the Titans all you want but this doesn't seem like a good way to do it.

Giving the Titans a loss means giving the Bills a win.  I'm not sure how you can award the Bills a win for not playing a game but make the Steelers play three road games in a row to play a makeup game.  

For the record -- since you would figure the league has to make some kind of decision this morning -- I would prefer for the Bills not to be handed a forfeit win.  I also don't like the "week 18" solution either.  I'd be happy with any of the following:

• Just cancel this game and do everything at the end of the season based on win %.  We're early enough into the season that we can't really predict what the effect of this solution might be, which is a good argument in its favor.  Veil of ignorance and all . . . 
  • Play the game on Sunday or Monday with whatever team Tennessee is able to put out there.  If this game gets shifted to Monday, then presumably BUF-KC moves from Thursday to Sunday, which is fine.    
  • Some re-jiggering of the regular season schedule that fits TEN-BUF in there someplace.  

I don't think there is anyway the NFL places a loss on the Titans record.     I'd expect fines, the loss of draft picks, possibly an NFL Monitor placed at their facility to watch over there adherence to the Covid protocols, and then we'll move on to the next crisis. 

One new positive test in Tennessee.  In addition, another player whose test was inconclusive yesterday is now positive.  Link.

I guess that means that this week's game is out the window.

I’m fine with the Bills playing the Titans during their bye week and moving Titans/Steelers to a Week 18 game.

This might be a dumb idea, but what are the objections to sticking Tennessee with a L (forfeit) and just leaving Buffalo with a 15-week season?  In other words, give TEN a richly-deserved L but don't give the Bills an unearned W?  

This might be a dumb idea, but what are the objections to sticking Tennessee with a L (forfeit) and just leaving Buffalo with a 15-week season?  In other words, give TEN a richly-deserved L but don't give the Bills an unearned W?  
Or how about this (stolen from WGR):

Leave it as postponed with a tentative reschedule for Week 18. Depending on what else happens as far as missed games goes, if any of those postponed games affect playoff teams in any way (who makes it or seeding), then those games are played. If it doesn’t impact anything, don’t play it.

And punish the Titans by straight up banning them from the playoffs this year. That way the Titans are punished and the entire rest of the AFC benefits equally.

I’m sure Titans fans are going to love this proposed solution...

Though this may be less harsh than Doug Farrar’s suggestion of shutting down the Titans season right now.

Also, the league should absolutely fine the living hell out of Tennessee, the coaching staff, and every player who attended that practice.  They should also lose multiple draft picks.  This is horse####.
Sure if you're going to retroactively fine fine the living hell out of Tampa Bay and Tom Brady for his shenanigans. Truth of the matter, Brady was still being called a leader and warrior even last week for breaking protocols in Florida. Other QBs see that tried to do the same.

Move Bills/Titans to an extra MNF or Tuesday this week, push back the Bills/Chiefs game to an extra MNF next week.  Gives the Chiefs extra recovery days from their hectic schedule and puts them on roughly the same schedule as the Bills.  NFL can flex a different game into TNF next week.  I know the players will hate that, but you know the NFL doesn't want to miss that sweet TNF TV money.

Of course, this is assuming the Titans don't have positives and can play Monday.

Move Bills/Titans to an extra MNF or Tuesday this week, push back the Bills/Chiefs game to an extra MNF next week.  Gives the Chiefs extra recovery days from their hectic schedule and puts them on roughly the same schedule as the Bills.  NFL can flex a different game into TNF next week.  I know the players will hate that, but you know the NFL doesn't want to miss that sweet TNF TV money.
At the rate the Titans are going, I don’t think the Titans would be able to play Monday or Tuesday anyway.

So this is interesting: if this game ends up getting canceled completely, under the agreement for this year, all players involved don’t get paid for that game. So if this game isn’t rescheduled, the Bills players don’t get a game check. Ya think they may be a bit mad with the Titans?!

One new positive test in Tennessee.  In addition, another player whose test was inconclusive yesterday is now positive.  Link.

I guess that means that this week's game is out the window.
Just playing devil's advocate, but does it?

What if there are no more positive tests on Friday and Saturday, couldn't they then still play on Sunday?

Or even if there is a positive test tomorrow but none on Saturday and Sunday, couldn't they play on Monday?

Also, the league should absolutely fine the living hell out of Tennessee, the coaching staff, and every player who attended that practice.  They should also lose multiple draft picks.  This is horse####.
Said this yesterday. 96% of the teams haven’t had a case. They have had several. Make them forfeit and move on. Why are other teams who are doing things right being held hostage? 

Just playing devil's advocate, but does it?

What if there are no more positive tests on Friday and Saturday, couldn't they then still play on Sunday?

Or even if there is a positive test tomorrow but none on Saturday and Sunday, couldn't they play on Monday?
I think the best case scenario at this point (no new positives from here on out) still results in Tennessee not having access to their facilities until Sunday at the earliest, so a Sunday or Monday game results in Tennessee playing the Bills on literally no practice.  Which serves them right of course, but still.

I think the best case scenario at this point (no new positives from here on out) still results in Tennessee not having access to their facilities until Sunday at the earliest, so a Sunday or Monday game results in Tennessee playing the Bills on literally no practice.  Which serves them right of course, but still.
Right, but there is a precedent in that I don't believe the Patriots had access to their facilities after Cam tested positive and they still went ahead and played the Chiefs?

I would expect the Bills to push back on making the game up on a Week 18. Having to play a game that week when they may be heading to the playoffs and other teams would get essentially a free bye week would be a distinct disadvantage.
Except if the Bills get cancelled this week, they get to play the Chiefs on Thursday night, which would give the Bills a massive advantage in a game that will determine playoff seeding. Especially against a Chiefs game that essentially will have played 3 games in 11 days.

They can't have it both ways. 

Yeah and players topped out at about 180-200 lbs...that swelled to about 220-230 in the 50s and then about 250 steady up thru the 80s until they outlawed steroids and the weight went off the charts on all Linemen on both sides, QBs turned into Linebackers...we can keep going and going with the major differences in these eras not to mention the evolution of the forward pass etc...Good stuff though

Except if the Bills get cancelled this week, they get to play the Chiefs on Thursday night, which would give the Bills a massive advantage in a game that will determine playoff seeding. Especially against a Chiefs game that essentially will have played 3 games in 11 days.

They are already talking about moving the TN game to Monday or Tuesday and also moving KC/BUF to Saturday.

The NFL is determined hell or high water to get these games in.

I didn't think the NE game would get in and it did.

Right or wrong, the NFL is pushing through.

They are already talking about moving the TN game to Monday or Tuesday and also moving KC/BUF to Saturday.

Ok thanks. Hadn't heard that. 

wow Saturday?  Thought the NFL cannot do Saturday because of college football.

-QG

Extra days for a regular season game isn’t even close to the same as extra days at the end of the season to rest before a playoff game.

Do we know exactly what day this "unofficial" practice or workout that the Titans had take place?  With more positive tests--it's pointing towards that practice being a spreading event--and in reality--they should easily quarantine for 10-14 days after that.  I know the league wants to push things through and have so far---but they also have to be careful not to push their luck.   If there are a bunch of Titans players that are incubating the disease--the last thing they would want to do is force a game that could spread the disease like wildfire among their opponents.   

Something I haven’t really seen brought up: what if the Titans keep having positive cases trickle out but the NFL says that the game is happening anyway on Tuesday and they can play anyone that has tested negative so far? And the Bills talk it over and refuse to play them Tuesday because the they can’t trust that Titans players aren’t still being infected but not showing up positive on tests yet? Would the NFL then force a forfeit on the Bills in that situation? If the Titans ended up with 3 new positives on Wednesday would the NFL then REALLY be screwed because it would prove the Bills were right to refuse to play?

Extra days for a regular season game isn’t even close to the same as extra days at the end of the season to rest before a playoff game.
This dance could go on and on. If the Bills get 11 days off and the Chiefs have to play 3 times in 10 days (with the last game at Buffalo), that could tilt the scales to give the Bills a bye and not the Chiefs. So your "extra rest before a playoff game" argument works both ways.

Do we know exactly what day this "unofficial" practice or workout that the Titans had take place?  With more positive tests--it's pointing towards that practice being a spreading event--and in reality--they should easily quarantine for 10-14 days after that.  I know the league wants to push things through and have so far---but they also have to be careful not to push their luck.   If there are a bunch of Titans players that are incubating the disease--the last thing they would want to do is force a game that could spread the disease like wildfire among their opponents.   
It was 14 or 15 offensive players meeting on an outside field at a local college and running drills/plays.

IMO, if the NFL has them play this week, I think they should not allow any of those guys to play.

This dance could go on and on. If the Bills get 11 days off and the Chiefs have to play 3 times in 10 days (with the last game at Buffalo), that could tilt the scales to give the Bills a bye and not the Chiefs. So your "extra rest before a playoff game" argument works both ways.
One is a theoretical that the Chiefs still have control over, the other is a definite with the Bills having no ability to change. Can’t weigh them the same.

Which is, once again, the only way this season works. No one seems too concerned that every Walmart in America is open but somehow football players playing during Covid is a crime against humanity.

Players will get "sick" one way or another, just like waiters, school kids, stock boys, stock brokers and even presidents will. Separate the infected, let them recover, and the next men up play the game. If that's too scary, just cancel the season then because outside of a bubble it just can't work.

I'm not trying to be callous but with no end game in sight eventually life goes on and we all do what we can to try and stay healthy and keep others healthy but with the contagiousness of this virus getting sick is practically unavoidable without total isolation. At least the death rates keep dropping and dropping so that's encouraging.

One is a theoretical that the Chiefs still have control over, the other is a definite with the Bills having no ability to change. Can’t weigh them the same.
Which part is theoretical? The Chiefs losing out on a bye? The first part is looking more and more likely . . . that the Bills will get 11 days off while the Chiefs will play 3 games in 10 days including the last game at Buffalo. So sure, it may not be ideal for the Bills to have to play a game in the proposed Week 18 (which still might not even make a difference in the grand scheme of things as that is a long way away). But I am pretty sure the Bills not playing this week equally is not ideal for the Chiefs in their ability to win in Buffalo.

Even within the AFC East, NE is going to have to play their second game in a row (most likely) with a backup quarterback without having a single on-field practice since their starting QB popped up positive. This week they will also be down their best defender as well when the Pats so far have had no players with active COVID symptoms. Would you rather have the Bills play in Week 18 or have Allen miss two starts including the game with the Chiefs?

The point is, there are lots of teams that will have things go against them at some point this year. Some teams may luck out and not have any negative impacts. Some teams may luck out and only have positive impacts. But the league is certainly not going to base their decision-making this season on what if considered fair.

Which is, once again, the only way this season works. No one seems too concerned that every Walmart in America is open but somehow football players playing during Covid is a crime against humanity.

Players will get "sick" one way or another, just like waiters, school kids, stock boys, stock brokers and even presidents will. Separate the infected, let them recover, and the next men up play the game. If that's too scary, just cancel the season then because outside of a bubble it just can't work.

I'm not trying to be callous but with no end game in sight eventually life goes on and we all do what we can to try and stay healthy and keep others healthy but with the contagiousness of this virus getting sick is practically unavoidable without total isolation. At least the death rates keep dropping and dropping so that's encouraging.
Honestly, I think the answer is just to play the game on Sunday.  Yes, that would mean the Titans are playing on no practice and missing a bunch of players.  It's not "fair", but neither was the Patriots having to play without Cam (and potentially Gilmore, etc).  That's the reality of the Covid NFL.

Of course, that assumes that Bills and Titans players/staff (and NFLPA?) are comfortable with that game.  It's easy for me to say as someone who gets to watch from the comfort of my couch.

Honestly, I think the answer is just to play the game on Sunday.  Yes, that would mean the Titans are playing on no practice and missing a bunch of players.  It's not "fair", but neither was the Patriots having to play without Cam (and potentially Gilmore, etc).  That's the reality of the Covid NFL.

Of course, that assumes that Bills and Titans players/staff (and NFLPA?) are comfortable with that game.  It's easy for me to say as someone who gets to watch from the comfort of my couch.
Yes. I'm not trying to downplay Covid or anyone's fears. I'm just saying the reality is that if they want to finish the season this is the only way to accomplish that. If players and coaches think it's too risky and call it quits, I'll respect their decisions - like you said I'm not going to catch it watching on TV.

Which part is theoretical? The Chiefs losing out on a bye? The first part is looking more and more likely . . . that the Bills will get 11 days off while the Chiefs will play 3 games in 10 days including the last game at Buffalo. So sure, it may not be ideal for the Bills to have to play a game in the proposed Week 18 (which still might not even make a difference in the grand scheme of things as that is a long way away). But I am pretty sure the Bills not playing this week equally is not ideal for the Chiefs in their ability to win in Buffalo.

Even within the AFC East, NE is going to have to play their second game in a row (most likely) with a backup quarterback without having a single on-field practice since their starting QB popped up positive. This week they will also be down their best defender as well when the Pats so far have had no players with active COVID symptoms. Would you rather have the Bills play in Week 18 or have Allen miss two starts including the game with the Chiefs?

The point is, there are lots of teams that will have things go against them at some point this year. Some teams may luck out and not have any negative impacts. Some teams may luck out and only have positive impacts. But the league is certainly not going to base their decision-making this season on what if considered fair.
And yet you seem to be arguing for the solution that is more difficult to implement rather than the easier solution.

Users who are viewing this thread